A Manager's Journal - "1860 on the Rise"

Comments

• UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Ors2KCC.jpg

My final instalment for this season is a look at the top performers from this season.

Tobias Mohr has been exceptional for us this season, but he doubled everybody else's impact in terms of goal contributions. He played many more games than anybody else as he was a crucial player in the starting XI. Due to the rotation of the squad, I believe this hindered other players from contributing in the same way.

The rotation system worked well in this division, but will it work in a higher division, i don't know. Perhaps I need a more settled lineup to get the most out of the players, this is something I am going to have to think about over the summer.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    SEASON 3 - 2. BUNDESLIGA

aoVA7A8.jpg

According to the ratings of the other teams in our new division, I feel like we have a strong enough team to compete this season. With that in mind I only signed one senior player to the existing group of players. That signing is Thai International, Chanathip Songkrasin. Nicknamed the Asian Pulga, Pulga being a Spanish word meaning flea, relates to his small stature of just 5'3". What he lacks in size he makes up for in ability. Once on the radar of VFB Stuttgart, the 27 year old has been a star performer in the J-League for the last few seasons, and when the opportunity came to bring him to the Grünwalder on a free I dutifully accepted.

YAvCR8Z.jpg

In addition to Songkrasin, I also signed up 3 academy players who had been making great progress over the last 6 months, with Jannik Ludwig the most promising of the 3.

Ludwig will come straight into the squad and push Hiller immediately for that number 1 spot. I dare say I will struggle to keep hold of him for more than 2 seasons.

IAZAFIZ.jpg

Despite what Stefan Lex has done over the last couple of season for the club, he was starting to regress according to training performance reports. He was given a great opportunity to go play in Saudi Arabia for a wage 6 times better than he could have with us, and we received a nice transfer fee for him, it really was a no brainer for both us and Stefan. He will be sorely missed, but unfortunately that's football.

eW86kJJ.jpg
    Stefan Lex

Again, I allowed a lot of younger players go out on loan to aid their development and secure them more first team opportunities.

Lukas Scherff and Tarsis Bonga had both not made the impact within the squad which I hoped they would. Bonga was loaned out to see if he comes back as a potential first team player. This was not the case for Scherff unfortunately, I just felt we had far too much quality in his positions, and the young lads coming through could be as, if not more, effective than him. Ironically he was sold for just shy of a million to the best side in Romania at the moment.

n6EJDND.jpg

We again accepted the invite to play in the European International Cup, which was held in Netherlands this year. This was always going to be a tough tournament with some Eredivisie sides involved, but I feel its always good to test yourself in pre-season to see how your squad rises to the challenge.

I must say we performed really well and to only lose the final on penalties against a strong Heracles side, shows how far this squad has come along.

2021/22 Squad

So this is how the squad looks for the start of the upcoming 2. Bundesliga campaign.

ohSLrGs.jpg

We have 2 strong keepers for this campaign, who will provide competition for each other. Neither one is guaranteed the number 1 spot. We're all excited to see how Jannik adapts to life as senior player.

JaxlEvw.jpg

Those loan periods seem to have done Sauter and Klassen the world of good for their development. Both will feature a lot this season, and with Erdmann captaining the side his influence on these young lads will be invaluable.

7R6gfK8.jpg

I have managed to trim down the midfield department slightly. The likes of Florin Stefan and Daniel Wein will again play the majority of their football this season as defenders, this should spread the minutes more favourably across the players this season.

Special mention to Dressel and Greilinger who have made a massive impact on the squad, and developed into really solid players and will both play important roles this season. I was lucky to keep hold of them both this summer.

2QfWpCA.jpg

The forward line has been boosted by the marquee signing of Songkrasin. This however may have an impact on Skhirtladze's playing time. I'm hoping he understands that rotation is a must for a squad of this size, but we will have to wait and see.

Bakayoko and Hansch will battle it out for the number 9 role this season, with Hansch having the slight edge at the moment.

The Season Begins

CARFk4f.jpg

The campaign and Songkrasin started in the best possible way, with an emphatic away win at Greuther Furth with the Asian Pulga bagging himself a hat-trick.

However August was not a month to write home about. An early exit in the DFB-Pokal to a side in our division and only managing 2 scoreless draws at home was disappointing.

We averaged a goal a game in August, but 3 of those came in our one highlight of the month, an away win at Arminia Bielefeld. Work is definitely going to have to be done to move up the standings. Perhaps a change in formation? Or limit the rotations? Both offer food for thought.
  • exercisebike
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Just caught up. Amazing to see somebody on their third season already - I’m still in preseason of season 1. I think you’ve made an error with the Greuther Furth score above. It says 2-1 but that you scored a hat-trick.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Just caught up. Amazing to see somebody on their third season already - I’m still in preseason of season 1. I think you’ve made an error with the Greuther Furth score above. It says 2-1 but that you scored a hat-trick.

Yeah I've simulated the games to make it a bit more unpredictable. Oh thank you, yeah that is a mistake. We won 3-0 actually, so don't know where 2-1 came from.

Are the graphics easy to follow? Because I'm thinking of making them a bit bolder and different.
  • exercisebike
    UN5Y wrote: »

Yeah I've simulated the games to make it a bit more unpredictable. Oh thank you, yeah that is a mistake. We won 3-0 actually, so don't know where 2-1 came from.

Are the graphics easy to follow? Because I'm thinking of making them a bit bolder and different.

I don’t have any complaints, but it’s your story - if you want to freshen things up then go for it!

• Ashy
    11148 posts Has That Special Something
    Some great detail has gone into this, not the best first season but the second season was fantastic and now you are promoted, I love the depth you have gone into to create the manager backstory too
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Ashy wrote: »
    Some great detail has gone into this, not the best first season but the second season was fantastic and now you are promoted, I love the depth you have gone into to create the manager backstory too

Thanks Ashy. I'm hoping for more of the same next season, I have a squad to compete and I feel if you keep the players morale high they tend to get the results more
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    M6lmUVE.jpg

We're not adjusting to this division as quickly as I would have hoped. We have the squad capability to compete in this league, and really need to start being more consistent.

We picked up wins in the expected games, including a nice 4-1 victory against Braunschweig to show our dominance in this new rivalry.

You could say that we shouldn't be too disappointed with the losses against Hamburg and Hannover due to them being two of the better sides in the division. Darmstadt are performing well so an away loss isn't the end of the world, but we are making it a harder task to push towards promotion.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    sTeRJ8M.jpg

A much better month, a strange month, but a better one nonetheless. 4 away victories, 3 coming against sides who had all been in the Bundesliga not too long ago.

We're consistently scoring which is a big bonus, and it's not just one player contributing either. The biggest let down was the 2 home losses, Dresden and Berlin are both having decent seasons, but you can't help but expect better in front of your own fans.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    End of 2021

lSwa4cj.jpg

We've started to find our feet in this division, we're not that far from where we want to be. A couple of wins, and other results going our way, then we're straight back in the mix.

A decent goal difference which i think will play a big part come the end of the season. I'm optimistic about the back end of the season. Some critics may think we're out of it but the results in Nov/Dec prove otherwise.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    The team have a chance to challenge for promotion to the Bundesliga
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    January 2022

0VKA9VN.jpg
    UHgzXlb.jpg

I've signed Nils Diekmann to a pro contract, the lad has bags of potential and could possibly contribute to the first team very soon.

We definitely ticked a few boxes during this transfer window, in terms of financial goals. I couldn't deny Florin Ștefan the chance to play in the Premier League, he fully deserved to play in a league of that stature, and we were compensated with 4 million euros.

When a team comes knocking who regularly play in the Europe, as a player you have to think will I get this opportunity again. I had already rejected a few transfers from clubs in Germany and Austria, but when FC København showed interest I had to agree a fee which worked for both parties.

We started 2022 full of hope and morale was flying high, this was topped off with a routine home victory at the end of January
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    i0EVNR8.jpg

Still not excelling at home, but our away record is really something to be proud of. A disappointing heavy loss at home against fellow contenders Düsseldorf was immediately rectified with an emphatic win against Hansa Rostock.

The Asian Pulga has been on fire this month scoring 7 goals in 4 games. This month put Songkrasin at number 1 in the goalscorers charts.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    DeHBCtV.jpg

Massive win against Hannover put us within reach now of the playoff spot. A very credible point against Hamburg, especially as it seems like them and Augsburg will take the automatic promotion spots.

The month was topped off by another 2 routine victories against sides below us in the table.

Songkrasin added another 5 goals to his tally this month, he has proven to an extremely valuable player in our push for promotion.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    0LjRtFD.jpg

Another fantastic month by the lads, granted all the games were against teams lower in the table than us, in fact 5 of the teams were in the bottom half of the table. That being said we still had to conduct ourselves in a professional manner, and not let complacency creep into play. We had pressure on us to keep up with the teams around us, so the character showed by the lads was excellent.

k4EDsMV.jpg

This month's result have put us right up there. 3 points behind Hannover with 2 games remaining, we have a difficult task on our hands, but not completely unrealistic. That being said one of our 2 remaining games is against Augsburg who are battling for the league title.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    The team have a chance to challenge for promotion to the Bundesliga

A very good chance
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Match Day 33

4FK5Syh.jpg

What a result for the lads. Skhirtladze was excellent today, 2 goals and an assist against a strong Augsburg side. We continue our amazing away form and are starting to look like a team with Bundesliga potential.

Hamburg and Hannover both lost as well, an unusual set of results, which has worked wonders for our promotion push.

ZjEYcQ3.jpg

Finally in that playoff position, but by the skin of our teeth, one goal in fact. Our final game of the season is against Arminia Bielefeld who are currently situated in the bottom half of the table.

I'm quietly confident we can win, however we're not as prolific at home. Hannover have a game against Hansa Rostock at home. This could be a case of who scores the most, as both ourselves and Hannover are expected to win.
  • Stlducks
    2221 posts Fans' Favourite
    What a finish to the season. Crazy it comes down to one game now to get promoted.
  • exercisebike
    Great run of form in the second half of the season - well done. 1860 will be back where they belong soon! Any ideas who you’ll be playing in the promotion/relegation playoff, assuming you stay in third?
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Stlducks wrote: »
    What a finish to the season. Crazy it comes down to one game now to get promoted.

Technically it could be 3 games, we have to beat Bielefeld more convincingly than Hamburg beat Hasna Rostock. If we both lose/draw and Dusseldorf win, they leapfrog us both.
    Great run of form in the second half of the season - well done. 1860 will be back where they belong soon! Any ideas who you’ll be playing in the promotion/relegation playoff, assuming you stay in third?

I can't say I haven't looked, but some might say that's tempting fate. It will either be Heidenheim or VFL Bochum, both of which are beatable. However we just need to concentrate on the next game and getting into the playoffs....
  • Wiggie44
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It comes down to the one match to get the play-off place but what a run of form to get into this position
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Final Game of the Season

V9Kg1qZ.jpg

Well we did it, we beat Arminia Bielefeld, but only 2-0. We have had an incredible run in the back end of the season, with some narrow wins. Sometimes to be successful you have to rely on a certain amount of luck, well today we had the good fortune shining down us as Hannover could only muster a 1-0 victory against Hansa Rostock.

nuXoGAa.jpg

That results confirms that we will be playing in the Relegation Playoff against 1. FC Heidenheim 1846 from the Bundesliga. We cannot get too excited yet, but we're one big step closer to the Bundesliga.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    The Playoffs

First Leg
    ASruzLJ.jpg

A solid draw away from home, 2 goals early on by both sides. Both sides playing carefully not wanting to give an inch, and you can't blame them with what is on offer. The loss of Dennis Erdmann is a big loss for us for the next game. The Captain has been our defensive stalwart this season.

Second Leg
    QiQ9D2t.jpg

What a performance by the lads! 1860 Munich will again be a Bundesliga club once more, Munich will have 2 representatives now in the top tier of German football.

An incredibly proud moment in my life, me and Jussi have worked so hard for this moment. The lads have been incredible and really bought into our ideas and executed them to such a high level.

I was approached by 1860 Munich legend, Thomas Häßler, after the game, he told me he hadn't witnessed scenes like this at the Grünwalder Stadion in a long time, adding that I had done a great job and that "Die Löwen" will be lucky to keep hold of myself and Jussi for next season.

7wRprt2.jpg

A fantastic season for Songkrasin as he ends the season as runner up in the Top Goalscorer charts, Hendrik Weydandt of Hannover scoring only 1 more than the Asian Pulga.

A solid season for Florian Hansch also, who only contributed to 2 less goals than Songkrasin.

Both Hansch and Songkrasin benefited from being rotated less than the rest of the squad. Familiarity has shone through this season as opposed to heavily rotating the squad.
  • exercisebike
    Excellent results, although I bet you were feeling the nerves when Heidenheim brought it back to 3-2. Planning to make significant investment now you’re in the Bundesliga, or is that too much of a risk given 1860’s past?
  • Ashy
    11148 posts Has That Special Something
    What a nerve wrecking end to the season for you there, crazy to finish 3rd by GD in the end, congrats on winning the playoffs and after struggling at the start of the season a strong second half saw the tide turn. You are now in the top flight of German football and this is where the real challenge begins, you need some investment!
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Back to back promotions well done. Now the challenge is to stay in the Bundesliga next season
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    Impressive achievement to bring 1860 Munich back to the Bundesliga. Will be tough to secure a safe position next season, some reinforcements are needed I believe.
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    Has anybody else had any issues where it seems that there doesn't seem to be a Europa League or Champions League. I've checked my other saved Career Modes and even though i'm not in those competitions, I can still check on them. With this saved game I cannot check those competitions?

I think I read somewhere that their was a glitch early on in this, where teams could not play in Europe. I hope this is not the case as it will put a halt to this story.
  • exercisebike
    Has anybody else had any issues where it seems that there doesn't seem to be a Europa League or Champions League. I've checked my other saved Career Modes and even though i'm not in those competitions, I can still check on them. With this saved game I cannot check those competitions?

I think I read somewhere that their was a glitch early on in this, where teams could not play in Europe. I hope this is not the case as it will put a halt to this story.

It’s been updated now, but only affects new saves, so depending on when you started you might be in trouble. I think it happens when a Rest of World team wins a European competition. Are you able to go back to an older save and see who won those competitions last season?
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain

It’s been updated now, but only affects new saves, so depending on when you started you might be in trouble. I think it happens when a Rest of World team wins a European competition. Are you able to go back to an older save and see who won those competitions last season?

Unfortunately I have had no luck, which is a shame as I was really enjoying this story. I was struggling in Bundesliga, but was enjoying the challenge. I will be trying another story very soon. Watch this space...