BBC Article on Gambling.

Comments

• Jason1986
    7084 posts Big Money Move
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Jason1986 wrote: »
    Do people think the only issue is young kids getting hold of a parents credit card?

Idiotic if so.

It's about the game of chance of opening packs that gives the player a rush. The addictive nature of opening packs, not solely the money lost.

You see as a man who likes a gamble I just don’t understand this. It’s just not the same thing.
    I too enjoy a gamble, it's not just winning a bit of cash that I get enjoyment from it's the rush of cheering on your horse or getting a last minute winner on your acca that's the addiction, which can be kept in check for most people

But for some it's something they constantly chase, regardless of what they win/pack. That's when it's a problem.
  • FlyingOkapis
    1194 posts Professional
    The article doesnt even state that any money was even spent on FP, just that there was packs, which may have even been bought by earned coins.
  • Antiversum
    5790 posts Big Money Move
    Rich2015 wrote: »
    But it's ok EA say its " Fun and Ethical" and that players enjoy the surprise mechanics

Its all for our benefit and fun

Pack openings get the most views by far. So they are right there.
  • Orison
    49909 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Orison wrote: »
    Bad parenting

Kids that severely lack IQ

Both goups blaming a 3rd group for their shortcomings. You love to see it.

It's not that black and white though is it. For the sake of what your saying, What a bout the kid who has a bad IQ that was a result of bad parenting?

It's not their fault

No, but also yes.

You just can't blame someone else all the time. Parents gotta set up parental control settings if their kids really can't be trusted. If they don't do that then the parents are to blame.

Instead these parents don't want to admit that they failed and so they try to shift the blame.

And what if the parents aren't tech savvy?

It's more than Black and White.

One of them was tech savvy enough to enter his credit card details lol.
  • Aguy9916
    879 posts Professional
    Bad parenting

Stupid comment of the year 😂😂😂... even well rounded intelligent adults can fall foul of the trappings of gambling due to the emotion involved... let's expose millions of children to those emotions at an early age and see how we get on. Better still let's attach even more desire due to the nature of ultimate team and the status kids have amongst their friends due to owning a great team and we now have a recipe for disaster.

All of us grown ups have felt the buzz when we pack something half decent so imagine how that feels for a kid... its exactly the same as gambling and real money can be used, so IT IS gambling and it's a lethal thing to be getting children accustomed to.

Defend it all you want, even if this game had an over 18 rating I still wouldn't like it.. gambling has no place in gaming.
  • madwullie
    5061 posts Big Money Move
    So pious the residents of this forum when it comes to fifa points.
  • SPAMPEBS
    3963 posts National Call-Up
    Embrared wrote: »
    Good article. It was the other way around for me. Had a major problem with gambling when I was younger and then when ultimate team came about my addictive personality took hold of me.

Always thought gaming companies should adopt the same approach as the gambling industry and allow you to set up spending limits on your account. Seems a no brainer.

This entirely, I have a 10 pound a week limit on my betting app and the national lottery. Never have I once felt the need to up it and even if I wanted to it takes 7 days to complete.
  • 1690_Ulster_FC
    3634 posts National Call-Up
    Bad parenting

It's not that black and white though is it. For the sake of what your saying, What a bout the kid who has a bad IQ that was a result of bad parenting?

It's not their fault

No, but also yes.

You just can't blame someone else all the time. Parents gotta set up parental control settings if their kids really can't be trusted. If they don't do that then the parents are to blame.

Instead these parents don't want to admit that they failed and so they try to shift the blame.

And what if the parents aren't tech savvy?

It's more than Black and White.

One of them was tech savvy enough to enter his credit card details lol.

My Sister entered her details once on my Nephews Xbox a few years back.. hundreds of quid later, she realised the xbox stored them.

Nowhere else online, can I think of a payment system that forces you to save your card details when purchasing something.

I've no bother with the pack system, but kids under 16 shouldn't be able to gamble with real money to open them, without some sort of parental consent system that jas to be verified by the adult.
  • Invincibility
    4231 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 8
    FP will be gone in Next gen for sure! GRINDING only

This is just a test to next gen FIFA with the objectives and ICON swaps and make us get used to it
  • Springveldt
    4752 posts National Call-Up
    Do people think the only issue is young kids getting hold of a parents credit card?

Idiotic if so.

It's about the game of chance of opening packs that gives the player a rush. The addictive nature of opening packs, not solely the money lost.

You see as a man who likes a gamble I just don’t understand this. It’s just not the same thing.
    You must be wired differently then? For me, the anticipation of opening a pack (especially a 50K or 100K pack) is pretty similar to when your horse is neck and neck in the final furlong.

How many people have you seen come on here and proclaim "I'm still shaking" after getting Ronaldo or Messi in a pack? Opening an in-game addon should not be having that effect on people.
  • Drachenfells
    543 posts An Exciting Prospect
    the rush of getting a icon is the same a seeing your number come up on the roulett wheel, anyone who says different is lying, its the same emotion amplified now with the tunnel, flag, position and colour its made to be addictive and it works. I love opening packs and have to restrain myself from fifa points regularly. It is made to releases dopamine the same chemical gamblers feel when winning, problem is in a certain percentage of the population its more addictive than others, its extremely additive in undeveloped brains i:e adolescents, they know exactly what there doing they are getting children addicted to dopamine hits early.

I find working out what I would rather buy with the money works, but a kid wont have that reasoning.
  • crackers07
    1046 posts Professional
    edited October 8

Idiotic if so.

You must be wired differently then? For me, the anticipation of opening a pack (especially a 50K or 100K pack) is pretty similar to when your horse is neck and neck in the final furlong.

How many people have you seen come on here and proclaim "I'm still shaking" after getting Ronaldo or Messi in a pack? Opening an in-game addon should not be having that effect on people.

When i have money on a horse and its neck and neck its nothing like the excitment of opening a 50k pack in the hope i might get a decent player not even close. The buzz of winning a few quid is a million miles better , i would find it strange a grown man having the same thrill packing a player
  • mway
    1378 posts Professional
    edited October 8

The reaction wouldn´t be a problem at all. I mean it´s fine if the person feel that way. I won´t cry or shout because I packed Messi, Ronaldo or an icon, but surely I´ll feel happy. The problem is that people ( and especially the young ones ) are able to gamble with real money looking for that reaction or pleasure. If the person has an addictive pattern that could lead to a serious problem ( financial and health )

This game should be based on a monthly, seasonal subscription and remove real money to be involved in the game.
  • limjitwe
    6929 posts Big Money Move

Idiotic if so.

Anything can give a rush if it’s something I enjoy doing. So it’s not opening a pack. But to say it’s linked to creating a gambling addiction, it’s not so simple and clear.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    1159 posts Professional
    Bad parenting

It's not their fault

No, but also yes.

You can blame the parents for bad parenting but you cant put that on the kid.
  • jackm57
    2427 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm glad that the community agrees that packs are gambling and that its a problem within the game.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    1159 posts Professional

Idiotic if so.

Are you able to restrict yourself when gambling or is it something your addicted to?

If you can take and leave gambling then I dont think you can see the signs but if you experienced a gambling addiction before the parallels are there.
  • Without Pay to win, Esports would be so much more competitive and rewarding which would probably bring in similar money to the likes of EA, in different ways. We should all have the opportunity to go and qualify at Fifa Esports events. Without investing $1000s we cant, which pushes away the average Joe's (the majority). There should atleast be a limit on how much it costs to have the best team, I think everyone would accept paying maximum $500 to get a team good enough to compete, all sports and competitions have different costs.