Books, Films, TV Shows

Why isn't there a thread for this? Do people on here only watch comic book adaptations?

Assuming that I didn't miss the appropriate thread, I'm going to make this one. Let's talk about what we're watching and reading. But please, for the love of Christ, don't use this as your personal diary. Please don't come in and say "I watched Joker (2019)", literally no one's impressed that you went to see a film released in every single global multiplex. Also, no star ratings. That's useless, doesn't tell us anything. Also, try to be expressive. Don't say "I watched Forrest Gump (1994), I liked it." No one cares, tell us something critical you thought about the movie instead, or tell us a deep personal emotion that it evoked.

Post away.

Comments

• Fab
    17856 posts World Class
    recently i watched 2 films: good time and boogie nights

good time i watched in preparation for uncut gems (starring adam sandler!) by the same directors. for clarification this will be SERIOUS SANDLER not comedy sandler so just so u know that. good time is a movie directed by the safdie brothers (like the wachowski sisters or the coen brothers for example they are very decent filmmakers) and it starred robert patterson (this is the guy from the twilight movie but do not be mistaken he is a good actor). it is a movie about
    a bank robbery that goes wrong and then the brother of rober patterson is in prison and now he is trying to free him
    overall it was a nice movie with a nice vibe and a decent story and some funny moments (+ some sad) but pattinson's actions did not always make sense so that was less nice but it definitely build up some nice tension!.

as for boogie nights, this is a nice flick about (small spoiler)
    sex, violence and drugs (it is in the adult industry u know)
    . sir paul thomas anderson behind the camera and mark wahlberg, burt reynolds, don cheadle, john c reilly and more in front of it! now this was probably my favourite of the 2. it has a nice introduction tracking shot and another tracking shot later (at the pool) i liked very much what can i say i'm a sucker for those tracking shots if they're well done like the one in goodfellas i would rate it pool > goodfellas > introduction but don't get me wrong they're all very good tracking shots. another comparison with goodfellas is
    we can see the rise and fall of dirk diggler (marky mark) similar as to henry hill
    . i forgot it also had philip seymour hoffman and of course he delivered like he always did may his soul rest in peace. now the final act was a bit weak in comparison with the first 2 and oh yes the soundtrack was great really loved that one. but the final act isnt bad it's just not as impressive as the first 2 i can still recommend this movie to anyone interested after my review.

thank you all LIKE for more reviews!
  • EA_Rtas
    1395 posts EA Moderator
    Spent the last couple of weeks listening to the Bobiverse series on Audible. Fantastic bit of Sci Fi comedy that manages to not go overboard.
  • 1HoV
    264 posts Sunday League Hero
    South Park is on Netflix, hadn’t watched it in years but they really pull off funny commentary about current/ pop culture issues.
  • Ad Astra last week, Joker this week.

Ad Astra - A profound exploration faith and how we react in the face of being abandoned by what we believed in. Astoundingly beautiful and wonderfully acted by Pitt.

Joker - A surprisingly powerful story of how late capitalism alienates and socially dislocates, and how it then pushes its victims into adopting isolated, nihilistic expressions of violence as opposed to being part of a politically mobilized movement for systemic change. All the things that ruin Arthur's life are totems of capitalism: the cutting of social service funding, the three Wall Street yuppies, the clock card machine that he destroys, the paternalistic billionaire politician. But he's so utterly alienated from those around him that the only method by which he can fight back against this predatory system is through meaningless, directionless violence.
  • Retro_G
    29265 posts Player of the Year
    El Camino released on Netflix the other night, it's fantastic. It continues on the story from Breaking Bad, ties up all the loose ends from the series. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoyed Breaking Bad.
  • BGAlum
    1216 posts Professional
    Ad Astra last week, Joker this week.

Ad Astra - A profound exploration faith and how we react in the face of being abandoned by what we believed in. Astoundingly beautiful and wonderfully acted by Pitt.

Joker - A surprisingly powerful story of how late capitalism alienates and socially dislocates, and how it then pushes its victims into adopting isolated, nihilistic expressions of violence as opposed to being part of a politically mobilized movement for systemic change. All the things that ruin Arthur's life are totems of capitalism: the cutting of social service funding, the three Wall Street yuppies, the clock card machine that he destroys, the paternalistic billionaire politician. But he's so utterly alienated from those around him that the only method by which he can fight back against this predatory system is through meaningless, directionless violence.

Thanks for the note on Joker. Was tempted to rent it once it came out, but now I know I will pass. There are enough political commentaries on capitalism in film.