FIFA 20 PS4 Refund Response **Attention EA**

1
Lukkee28
37 posts Last Pick at the Park
Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

"Hi Luke,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

- Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
- Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
- To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
- Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
- Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
- Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
- Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
- Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
- Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
- Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

Drop me a line if you need any more help.

Thanks,

Eliza
Player Support Specialist
PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

  • Darthdowty
    82 posts Park Captain
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Try trading standards UK.
  • HamadaLFC
    43 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited October 2019
    I'm afraid your options are pretty limited there. EA won't refund you as they, technically, didn't sell you the game. You'd have to go through whoever you bought the game from. In your case PS4. So I'd say take this up with them, or trading standards UK (don't know what that is since I live in the US).
    It seems like they think your game just isn't launching or something. So maybe a follow-up e-mail explaining the issue would help.
  • If you are in the UK then you can sue under the consumer rights act. It's a strong piece of law. Of course it will cost you more than the cost of the game to sue but if you win then you get it back and set that all important precedent.
  • Stew
    584 posts An Exciting Prospect
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced
  • Boly
    9 posts Ball Boy
    Yeah but they’ve been tanking career mode since they ditched the player/manager option, where you could get everything from the game in one mode, and it’s obvious they’re trying to push the ultimate scam mode.

    Of course they could get the game ready on time every year, they’d just need to give up more of the money they print. But this is so egregious. I hope not one person upgraded to FUT because of this.

    They can offer cost-free compensation if they want me to play FUT so badly, they can credit me whatever FUT bonus you get from buying the next level of game. Watch them offer a discount on FUT coins, like how about half price for nothing you want.
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    They've flat out misrepresented their service, and duped people into buying it.

    What theyve done is illegal in the UK, and if enough people bring it up to trading standards, who can then move against EA, then EA would lose the case.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    They've flat out misrepresented their service, and duped people into buying it.

    What theyve done is illegal in the UK, and if enough people bring it up to trading standards, who can then move against EA, then EA would lose the case.

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.
  • Liamsafc24
    24 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    They've flat out misrepresented their service, and duped people into buying it.

    What theyve done is illegal in the UK, and if enough people bring it up to trading standards, who can then move against EA, then EA would lose the case.

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    Advertising things in the game that blatantly arent. Advertising fixes that dont exist.

    Not sure it's illegal but theyd probably rule against EA
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    They've flat out misrepresented their service, and duped people into buying it.

    What theyve done is illegal in the UK, and if enough people bring it up to trading standards, who can then move against EA, then EA would lose the case.

    Here in the UK, this is correct. The product is not as advertised. It just isn't.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.
  • Lukkee28
    37 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.

    Why would you buy anything other than basic for career mode?
  • Lukkee28
    37 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    I understand your point but it is just wrong. Sorry to be a ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

    It's been said thousand times last week but I revert back to the classic, if I buy a ham and cheese sandwich and on the box it says it comes with cheese but then I open this ham sandwich and there is no cheese. I take it back and get a refund. Simple.
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.

    Why would you buy anything other than basic for career mode?

    To play it the same day as everyone else.
  • Lukkee28
    37 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.

    Why would you buy anything other than basic for career mode?

    Because I'm a sad ❤️❤️❤️❤️ who loves (loved) FIFA and loves a good career mode. Is that such a crime?
  • Darthdowty
    82 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.

    Unfortunately when you download a game you usually agree to waive your right to withdrawal, so no refunds. Best option is buy a physical copy from a shop as you have 14 days to return and refund. This is if course under EU law, as you quoting £ I assume in UK. So this applies. Your only other option is to take the legal route.
  • JazzIsName wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Lukkee28 wrote: »
    Hi @EACoreySA / @EA_Andy

    Due to the only game mode I play is career mode and the fact that it is broken and unplayable. I have asked PlayStation for a refund. Below was their response.

    "Hi Luke,

    Thanks for your e-mail regarding your purchase of Fifa 20 from the PlayStation (PS) Store.

    Unfortunately as you've downloaded this content I can't provide a refund this time. For future reference, you'll find details on our refund and cancellation policy at http://bit.ly/PS_Cancellation_Policy.

    Since you have advised us that the reason for the refund request is due to the game not playing as intended we have some troubleshooting steps to follow:

    - Go to Settings> PlayStation Network/Account Management and Restore Licenses.
    - Once this step is complete pl[/i]ease try launching the content in question. If the issue persists, you may need to delete and re-install the game content on your PS4.
    - To do this, please go Settings> System Storage Management> Applications.
    - Select the content, press the Options button on your controller and select Delete.
    - Once deleted please reinstall the game by inserting the disc or by re downloading from your library.
    - Should the above also fail to resolve your issue please continue with the steps below to re-build the database via safe mode menu:
    - Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
    - Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
    - Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
    - Select option 5 - Rebuild Database - this scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items. Once this is complete try launching the game again.

    If after following the above steps your game still not working correctly, please contact the game developer for further troubleshooting.

    Drop me a line if you need any more help.

    Thanks,

    Eliza
    Player Support Specialist
    PlayStation Support"[/i][/i][/i]


    Can you please advice what I can do now in terms of getting my money back. I have emailed a claims team and awaiting their response. I believe this has happened to many others like myself and some guidance or acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated to what I can do next.

    I paid for the champions edition at £71.99. For someone like me that is a lot of money and it just feels like it has been stole from me at this point.

    If one of you can please respond that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    @EACoreySA @EA_Andy

    Still no response on the matter, I presume you don't know how to help me. I'd rather appriciate telling me that though guys? So I can persue other alternatives to getting my money back (if there is any).

    Thanks again.

    Why would you buy anything other than basic for career mode?

    To play it the same day as everyone else.

    EXACTLY @JazzIsName It’s such a perfectly corrupt way to get more money. If you want to play FIFA-CM the same day everyone else gets their game you have to pay extra. They know damn well what they’re doing and they know they’re screwing us over in the process. God forbid I want to play the mode I want in the game at the same time millions of other people are playing their favorite mode.
  • Darthdowty
    82 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    Mis selling is illegal in the UK its the reason so many people got compensation for "mis sold" PPI.

    However you are correct on the fight being a tough one for him to win, unless he bought a physical copy from a shop. In which case the 14 day right to withdrawal will still be in effect. If purchased online and downloaded.... no chance.
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".
  • Darthdowty
    82 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2019
    Stew wrote: »
    As much as there are issues with the game, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get a refund. They can very easily argue there are many other features you can play and not to do so is your only choice. Also as long as the game works they have provided the service.

    By all means I am not sticking up for EA because career mode is my main part of the game and I like many are disappointed with the game they have produced

    Actually if you are in the EU and you bought a physical copy from a store you can within 14 days.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    All I’m saying is you stated what they’ve done is illegal and it simply cannot be and there’s a good reason for that.

    I’m not saying it’s ok just you need to know how to approach it.
  • Nakusin
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    Hello Games also fixed a ton of bugs & have brought out multiple large free updates over the last three years as well to compensate their fans. If career mode got the same treatment No Man's Sky got then it'd be pretty damn amazing... Shame it's not likely to happen.
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    All I’m saying is you stated what they’ve done is illegal and it simply cannot be and there’s a good reason for that.

    It was a legislation that was passed through Government and passed as law.

    It relates to games/films/eBooks.

    If the service is not "As described" at the point of sale, the seller must bring it up to standard within an agreed period of time, or start giving refunds.

    It is a law in the UK. So I'm not sure why you keep telling me it's not. I've been advised that EA continuing to promote a feature as a selling point on their website, when they're aware its not working correctly, and have been aware for over two weeks plus being aware before the official release date, breaches this law.

    If something breaches a law, it's illegal.

    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    All I’m saying is you stated what they’ve done is illegal and it simply cannot be and there’s a good reason for that.

    It was a legislation that was passed through Government and passed as law.

    It relates to games/films/eBooks.

    If the service is not "As described" at the point of sale, the seller must bring it up to standard within an agreed period of time, or start giving refunds.

    It is a law in the UK. So I'm not sure why you keep telling me it's not. I've been advised that EA continuing to promote a feature as a selling point on their website, when they're aware its not working correctly, and have been aware for over two weeks plus being aware before the official release date, breaches this law.

    If something breaches a law, it's illegal.

    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

    This isn’t mis selling. You said it was mis selling. Consumer rights are a totally different thing.

    You would never win an argument suggesting Fifa isn’t fit for purpose though. Personally I think 20 is terrible. There’s no way I could claim it as unfit for purpose though.
  • Saints92
    49 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    All I’m saying is you stated what they’ve done is illegal and it simply cannot be and there’s a good reason for that.

    It was a legislation that was passed through Government and passed as law.

    It relates to games/films/eBooks.

    If the service is not "As described" at the point of sale, the seller must bring it up to standard within an agreed period of time, or start giving refunds.

    It is a law in the UK. So I'm not sure why you keep telling me it's not. I've been advised that EA continuing to promote a feature as a selling point on their website, when they're aware its not working correctly, and have been aware for over two weeks plus being aware before the official release date, breaches this law.

    If something breaches a law, it's illegal.

    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

    This isn’t mis selling. You said it was mis selling. Consumer rights are a totally different thing.

    You would never win an argument suggesting Fifa isn’t fit for purpose though. Personally I think 20 is terrible. There’s no way I could claim it as unfit for purpose though.

    I'm not arguing the game isnt "fit for purpose".

    I'm telling you EA have, legally, made a contract with buyers by listing "enhanced AI algorithms" as a feature of the game, despite knowing full well it isnt working in the game.

    They've encouraged people to buy a game by using false information.

    These things go against a UK law.
  • Alex_cr
    5879 posts Big Money Move
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Saints92 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

    Can you please explain to me how it’s illegal?

    It isnt legal, in the UK at least, to "knowingly mislead customers into buying a service you cant provide".

    EA, on their site, have continued to advertise career mode as being improved due to "enhanced AI algorithms that prevent AI teams using weakened sides", despite knowing this simply isnt true, even now, after days of it being made clear to them it isnt working and them acknowledging it, they still advertise is as a feature on their site.

    They can argue career mode isnt unplayable etc if they want, but the example above is a stone cold factual example of them misleading people into purchasing the game.

    So you’re arguing it’s mis selling?

    I'm stating it. They've claimed something, and continue to claim something, which in unequivocally false. This false claim has encouraged people to buy the game.

    I’ll leave you to work out why mis selling can’t be illegal in the UK.

    Doesn’t make it right and doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, just people talk some right old **** on here and if you want to try take on EA you’re gonna need to know how.

    It is. No Mans Sky was investigated for it too, and the only reason they escaped was because they'd described the game as an "infinite Universe where anything can happen" in the title, which gave them the chance to fight back by saying all the bugs were just one of an infinite amount of variables. This was the sole reason trading standards couldnt rule that theyd misled customers.

    EA doesnt have that to fall back on.

    2015 brought a Consumers Right Act, and currently EA will be under investigation through that. They get a "reasonable amount of time", usually around 14 days after launch, to fit defects with the game which clear it as "As described". They cannot argue at all that the AI system in career mode is "As described".

    All I’m saying is you stated what they’ve done is illegal and it simply cannot be and there’s a good reason for that.

    It was a legislation that was passed through Government and passed as law.

    It relates to games/films/eBooks.

    If the service is not "As described" at the point of sale, the seller must bring it up to standard within an agreed period of time, or start giving refunds.

    It is a law in the UK. So I'm not sure why you keep telling me it's not. I've been advised that EA continuing to promote a feature as a selling point on their website, when they're aware its not working correctly, and have been aware for over two weeks plus being aware before the official release date, breaches this law.

    If something breaches a law, it's illegal.

    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

    This isn’t mis selling. You said it was mis selling. Consumer rights are a totally different thing.

    You would never win an argument suggesting Fifa isn’t fit for purpose though. Personally I think 20 is terrible. There’s no way I could claim it as unfit for purpose though.

    I'm not arguing the game isnt "fit for purpose".

    I'm telling you EA have, legally, made a contract with buyers by listing "enhanced AI algorithms" as a feature of the game, despite knowing full well it isnt working in the game.

    They've encouraged people to buy a game by using false information.

    These things go against a UK law.

    Go prove it. Not being an arse just saying they’d be able to prove it’s improved upon last year.
This discussion has been closed.