Dynamic Potential <> Feedback Thread

EA_GZaro
0 posts EA Community Manager
Hey all,

We're opening this thread for you to share your feedback around the Dynamic Potential feature on Career Mode, specifically.
Feel free to jump in and share your experiences and issues with the feature, as well as any examples that you might've come across.
When reporting feedback, please ensure to provide key details, such as the Player’s name, their position, and their starting OVR ratings.

Thanks, everyone.

Comments

• marcx666
    109 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Oh wow, of all the issues that are prevalent in career mode, THIS is what you decide to start a thread about? Yes, it doesn't work right, but really, there is alot more that doesn't work that is more important.....
  • SimonR7
    53 posts Park Captain
    I haven’t found any problems
  • Placebo_PRS
    211 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited September 2019
    Broken and not fit for release sums it up:

1) Your first day, the captain says hello, and if you choose a sensible response (i.e. you don't say "this team needs to work harder") team morale jumps to 7/10 immediately

2) Your first game, even if you lose, if you answer the post-match press questions sensibly, morale continues to climb and players' attributes start getting 5%-8% boosts, which makes games much easier (even on Ultimate difficulty)

Nnv41rx.jpg

3) By the second game, with another press conference, your players' abilities can be up to 10% boosted, and everything gets even easier - it ruins the game completely.

AZnc0tV.jpg

And, it's every player getting that huge morale and attribute boost - including every sub and reserve player. How is that realistic? Their morale should be, at best, steady - at worst, it should be at risk - because they're not going to get into the first team any time soon.

Your team barely accumulates fatigue, so you rarely need to use them. They shouldn't be getting attribute boosts - ESPECIALLY as they aren't match fit, because they aren't getting to play...
    Post edited by Placebo_PRS on
  • GARYNOCLUB
    188 posts Sunday League Hero
    It all seems so much effort to make examples for a asx hole like that from EA to ask. We developed the game now you as a community can you give us an example please of things we didn’t do in preparing the game why should we do your job for you. Even his profile picture deserves a slap the nerve of these arrogant people tired of these overrated fools.
  • HamadaLFC
    43 posts Last Pick at the Park
    JazzIsName wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how dynamic player potential is doing because career mode is UNPLAYABLE! Pull your damned finger out and get us a squad update that actually works and sort out the starting XI and player editing problems so we can actually start testing the rest of your embarrassing, shameful, shambolic mess of a game mode.

Honestly, I despair :/

Agree, same here. I'd love to give feedback to what sounds like a great feature. But I stopped playing about 5 games in when BVB and Leipzig played me with an 60 rated goalkeeper and Bayern sat in 10th place...
  • Zango
    13 posts Ball Boy
    EA_GZaro wrote: »
    Hey all,

We're opening this thread for you to share your feedback around the Dynamic Potential feature on Career Mode, specifically.
    Feel free to jump in and share your experiences and issues with the feature, as well as any examples that you might've come across.
    When reporting feedback, please ensure to provide key details, such as the Player’s name, their position, and their starting OVR ratings.

Thanks, everyone.

How can I test the new feature, If the Career Mode is UNPLAYABLE? Try to fix the major issues first, and them you can pretend that you care about the new feature, that actually, it's broken too. lol
  • mfmaxpower
    211 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've edited all my players, so now many of them have negative OVRs, so I have no idea what to think are my players' real stats.

Stuff like this has gotta get fixed before we can provide feedback.
  • Youth academy players and regens not having randomized shirts and boots. Their shirts always comes untucked (which is unrealistic) and always the same boots. Fix this aswell! Paying so much money for an unplayable game.
  • Have barely been able to play even one season given the outrageously broken state the game is in, so I haven't had much experience with Dynamic Potential, but I have a question about it. Is Dynamic Player Potential what's causing the AI to field dreadful teams? Like, is it written into the code of the game that AI teams need to constantly play youth players in order to maximise their potential? Because if that's the case then kudos on what's potentially the worst career mode development decision in the long, sad line of awful career mode development decisions.
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    PM87 wrote: »
    Have barely been able to play even one season given the outrageously broken state the game is in, so I haven't had much experience with Dynamic Potential, but I have a question about it. Is Dynamic Player Potential what's causing the AI to field dreadful teams? Like, is it written into the code of the game that AI teams need to constantly play youth players in order to maximise their potential? Because if that's the case then kudos on what's potentially the worst career mode development decision in the long, sad line of awful career mode development decisions.

It's been a problem for years so I doubt it's that. It's just worst of all this year. I'm no expert though.
  • JazzIsName wrote: »
    Have barely been able to play even one season given the outrageously broken state the game is in, so I haven't had much experience with Dynamic Potential, but I have a question about it. Is Dynamic Player Potential what's causing the AI to field dreadful teams? Like, is it written into the code of the game that AI teams need to constantly play youth players in order to maximise their potential? Because if that's the case then kudos on what's potentially the worst career mode development decision in the long, sad line of awful career mode development decisions.

It's been a problem for years so I doubt it's that. It's just worst of all this year. I'm no expert though.

I get that, but it's different this year though. It's affecting every team.

I'll give an example: I did a career mode in Fifa 19 as QPR. Playing in the Championship I didn't encounter any teams playing youth players. Some rotated squads, but they only swapped out starters for players who were usually on the bench. Got promoted and my first four PL fixtures were against Liverpool, Bournemouth, Spurs and Burnley. Liverpool played youth players and I beat them 2-0 in Anfield. Bournemouth played a full strength team and I lost (I think it was 3-1 in the end). Spurs also played youth players (drew that game) and Burnley played a full 11 with Wood and Barnes up front (who both scored against me).

Flash forward to FIFA 20: Started a career mode with Brentford. First three matches were Birmingham, Boro and . Every team played youth players. Started another career mode with United, first few games were all against youth teams. Decided to try random leagues to see if things changed, but playing in the MLS, the J League, Bundesliga 2, and the Chilean league all yielded the same results: CPU teams playing youth players instead of players with a higher overall.

So, whereas before it was big teams who would play their kids against me, now it's every team, in every league. There are slight differences, PL teams would play 5 or 6 youth players while teams in, say, the Championship would play 2 or 3. But the indication is always the same: youth players are being favoured much more than they were before.

Now, maybe it's just me. It's possible no one else has experienced it to this degree, but from my playing of the game, everything points to this year being different and Dynamic Potential seems the most likely culprit.
  • What is everyones experience with older players, do they decline the same or. Personally I have modric 34, everything on green and despite this keeps declining.
  • JazzIsName
    383 posts Sunday League Hero

I'll give an example: I did a career mode in Fifa 19 as QPR. Playing in the Championship I didn't encounter any teams playing youth players. Some rotated squads, but they only swapped out starters for players who were usually on the bench. Got promoted and my first four PL fixtures were against Liverpool, Bournemouth, Spurs and Burnley. Liverpool played youth players and I beat them 2-0 in Anfield. Bournemouth played a full strength team and I lost (I think it was 3-1 in the end). Spurs also played youth players (drew that game) and Burnley played a full 11 with Wood and Barnes up front (who both scored against me).

Flash forward to FIFA 20: Started a career mode with Brentford. First three matches were Birmingham, Boro and . Every team played youth players. Started another career mode with United, first few games were all against youth teams. Decided to try random leagues to see if things changed, but playing in the MLS, the J League, Bundesliga 2, and the Chilean league all yielded the same results: CPU teams playing youth players instead of players with a higher overall.

So, whereas before it was big teams who would play their kids against me, now it's every team, in every league. There are slight differences, PL teams would play 5 or 6 youth players while teams in, say, the Championship would play 2 or 3. But the indication is always the same: youth players are being favoured much more than they were before.

Now, maybe it's just me. It's possible no one else has experienced it to this degree, but from my playing of the game, everything points to this year being different and Dynamic Potential seems the most likely culprit.

I hear you and it could be linked but if it is I don't think it's the only cause. You are making leaps in logic, as am I. Hell, most of us here do. Fact is, my copy is on Xbox and I can't have a look under the bonnet. I may have a look around some places where the PC modders lurk tomorrow and see what they throw up. I found an interesting video which explained the cause and fixes for the problem from a couple of FIFA versions ago.

It really makes me wonder if it's something like that which has been overlooked.
  • JazzIsName wrote: »

I hear you and it could be linked but if it is I don't think it's the only cause. You are making leaps in logic, as am I. Hell, most of us here do. Fact is, my copy is on Xbox and I can't have a look under the bonnet. I may have a look around some places where the PC modders lurk tomorrow and see what they throw up. I found an interesting video which explained the cause and fixes for the problem from a couple of FIFA versions ago.

It really makes me wonder if it's something like that which has been overlooked.

You're right. When you get as little information as EA tend to dish out it's easy to make a few jumps, logically.

Watched that video. Oh man. If it's actually that simple then it's even more ridiculous than I thought.

I'm on Xbox too. It's doubly annoying cos not only can you not take a peek at the files but it also means PES isn't really a viable alternative (unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of hours editing).

PC Modders are a good shout. If the problems are as cross platform as they seem to be, then someone is bound to turn up something digging through code.

Here's hoping for a patch soon anyway. Otherwise I may have to take the nuclear option and remove youth players from as many clubs as I can before starting again.
  • Steffolovitch
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    FEEDBACK ON DYNAMIC POTENTIAL:

I like the idea with dynamic potential, but I think you should be able to keep youngsters away from it somehow. When you have a starting lineup with 80-85 OVR, it doesn't make any sense that you would have to play a 65 OVR youngster regularly to avoid making him drop in potential. Since there is no youth squads assigned (which should be added!) you only have three options: Play the youngster regularly, loan him out or accept that his potential will drop.

Loans are also difficult, I think. Now I try to let the players leave on loan in January for one year, because, if they return from loan in June, there is a big risk of them dropping in potential right away, when the new season begins. I also think "team performance" shouldn't be too important in this regard. You could play very well all year, but if you lose a final towards the end, your team performance could be poor, just when the new season begins. And that has a huge impact on the youngsters. Just had two "has potential to be special" youngsters dropping to "exciting prospects", even though I have played them regularly. But I lost the league title, and then they paid the price.

I am also beginning to overpay my players. I have always tried to sign players at the lowest wage possible, but with the dynamic potential it gets important that they have a happy green face assigned to "contract" in the squad hub. And when I have signed a new contract with a player, I'm not even guaranteed that this green face will occur. So now I am overpaying the players to make sure he will be happy about his contract for a long time. Player's agent: "We expect a wage of £25,000." Me: "That's too much, I will pay him £40,000." Agent: "It's not quite what we expected, but we will sign anyway."
  • Steffolovitch
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think Dynamic potential would work, if other areas were explored as well. Now you can only get a feeling of the potential of the player if he is 21 years old or younger; "Showing Great Potential" or similar. If he is 22 or older you can only see if he is promising in the training menu, so he could grow just 5 OVR or he could grow to become one of the best players in the world, you cannot know. Throughout the game I would like to have some kind of potential review from one of your coaches, for instance. So in the squad hub you could see a players contract, wages etc., and then you could also learn about his potential, for instance 72-76 or similar.

But this should really go hand in hand with a totally reorganized career mode.
    - Give us youth teams, both U18 and U23, where academy players can play at first.
    - Give us youth coaches, where we can hire good ones or bad ones depending on our economy.
    - Give us dialogues with youth coaches, who will tell us whom to promote next, and when.
    - Give us some kind of achievements to some players. For instance: "this player could benefit from 10 first team games this season". Achieve this, and he will be "on track" according to his development. And if you can't, you should find him a loan opportunity in stead.
    - Give us the ability to upgrade the training grounds, academy, stadium, staff, PR, merchandise, anything.

Just a few ideas from top of my head. I love this game, career mode exclusively, so I can really see the potential of the game, if the developers would actually develop it.
  • It barely makes any difference at all. Potential changes but players don't achieve that potential anyway.

Ie scoring 20 goals a season and playing with t a 57 rated player with 66 potential will make his potential go up to 95 but he will reach 71 overall by the time he peaks.
  • The heading needs to be fixed because it is pretty impossible to grow defenders potential unless they are a full backs who can assist and occasionally get a goal. CB’s are pretty limited to just headers. Or you could change the criteria for a ‘good performance’ so defenders get 9-10 rated performances for clean sheets etc.
  • sxml44
    36 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I think dynamic potential is a great idea, but the other shortcomings of the game mode make it hard to implement.
    E.g. I had a scout future star, came out of the academy at around 64 OVR aged 16. I played him a fair bit in the premier league, he probably got 5-10 goals in each of his first 2 seasons. OVR now only 67? I've loaned him out, he never gets played. Never. His OVR is now 74 and he's 20. I believe his potential changed to "showing great potential" rather than "Has potential to be special" when i first promoted him. What more was I supposed to do?
  • Can anyone tell me at what age, the potential a player can reach will stop changing due to the effects of dynamic potential? For example, I signed De Ligt when he was 22, he hadn't yet reached a rating of 90 and I believe his potential at that time would've been 92 or 93. A number of seasons later, his overall rating had stopped increasing when he reached 97. Therefore his potential rating had increased.
  • I've no idea if the Dynamic Potential feature on Career Mode works in FIFA 20. I've not bothered spending my hard earned money on yet another broken FIFA game from EA.
  • Player growth in career mode is broken and has been since at least Fifa 07. We know EA won't put in the time, man power, and/or resources to fix the core problem. They'll put a crappy band-aid on the problem, call it a new feature, and release the same game year after year. Fifa 20's band-aid is called Dynamic Potential.

Currently I'm half way through the 5th season of my Fifa 20 career mode, and it's quite obvious my players are using insane numbers of PED's. There's a real problem with the player growth before dynamic potential even has a chance to kick in, but when it does you'll have the GOAT of each position in your starting 11.

For example, by the end of my 6th season, I'll have a full starting 11 of players with 99 ovr. By the end of the 7th season, my bench will all be rated 99 ovr. My team's peak appears to be in the 9th or 10th season, and by then I'll probably have 2 full 11 man squads of 99 ovr rated players. If that's not a broken player growth system, I don't know what is.

In previous Fifas that didn't use dynamic potential, Fifa 13 for example, the run away growth would be stopped by a soft cap on potential. I say soft cap because I have always been able to get players to exceed their overall potential, but not grow endlessly, until Fifa 20.

I'm curious if dynamic potential has been in Fifa since at least 08, but the slider settings on it were jacked up so it could be marketed as a new feature. If I was a betting man, my bet would be that dynamic potential has been in the game for years, and EA bumped the slider settings up to market it as a new feature.