Pep vs Klopp. Who is better?

1
SDoofus
6430 posts Big Money Move
Discuss.

Comments

  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    H2H record

    Pep: 7
    Draw: 2
    Klopp: 8
  • Kellnerr
    5311 posts Big Money Move
    Pep. Obviously he needs his team and a huge budget, but that's part of being in the world class segment of managing.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Pep. Obviously he needs his team and a huge budget, but that's part of being in the world class segment of managing.

    But what makes him better in your opinion? I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's no justification in your post of why you think he's better.
  • Tornado31619
    35004 posts World Cup Winner
    Difficult to say until it’s all said and done. Klopp built his BVB and Liverpool squad’s from nothing, whilst Pep got the best out of Messi and Sterling.
  • Kellnerr
    5311 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Pep. Obviously he needs his team and a huge budget, but that's part of being in the world class segment of managing.

    But what makes him better in your opinion? I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's no justification in your post of why you think he's better.

    The complete dominance all of his teams have/had.
  • G000ner
    9750 posts League Winner
    Pep has to edge it because of all the trophies he's won. They're pretty much on the same level though
  • ViVaWhom
    9435 posts League Winner
    Pep

    He has won more and won better

    to me, for example, neither could make man utd better with current squad so the argument of he needs to spend alot doesnt come into it

    the main advantage both have is that they have a board that has full trust
  • Wyojasond
    19229 posts World Class
    I think the biggest debate with them will always come down to if there roles were reversed. Could Pep build two teams up like Klopp did on a more stringent budget, and could Klopp get the most out of superstar players.

    Personally I think the answer is yes for both, but Klopp just edges it for me. Pep has an absolute brilliant mind and may be a touch better tactically than Klopp, but Klopp has that extra little something that I think every player in the world just appreciates.
  • Jboom98
    716 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Zidane because he's won more Champions league than any other manager B) mind you he does nothing on the touchline just stares with his arms folded don't mess with Zidane.
  • Pxul_
    13093 posts Has That Special Something
    Another question, who would you want as your manager for the next 3-4 seasons?
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2019
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I think the biggest debate with them will always come down to if there roles were reversed. Could Pep build two teams up like Klopp did on a more stringent budget, and could Klopp get the most out of superstar players.

    Personally I think the answer is yes for both, but Klopp just edges it for me. Pep has an absolute brilliant mind and may be a touch better tactically than Klopp, but Klopp has that extra little something that I think every player in the world just appreciates.

    That's what it comes down to for me. However, I disagree with you that it is yes for both. Like @Ahmer50x has already touched upon, Pep has been so, so blessed.

    He started off very lucky with the players he had at Barcelona. If you look at the signings he made for Barcelona, none of them come even remotely close to having the impact that the players who were already there had (Zlatan, Villa, Alves, Fabregas, Sanchez, etc vs Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, etc).

    Then he moved to a team that had literally just won the treble and already had players like Robben, Ribery, Lahm, Neuer, Kroos, Alaba and Muller in the ranks. He added the likes of Vidal, Gotze, Thiago, Alonso and Kimmich to that squad.

    Then he moved to City, who already had the likes of Kompany, Sterling, Aguero, D. Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, etc, and added a whole raft of players for an obscene amount to that with his virtually unlimited funds.

    There's no evidence to suggest that he could do what Klopp did with Dortmund and Liverpool.

    Edit: The fact Klopp has gotten us this close to City, considering the differences in their circumstances, is just outright ❤️❤️❤️❤️ mind-blowing to me.
  • Keano
    20622 posts Club Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Klopp

    Pep's career thus far has been: Messi, inherit the treble winners, and assemble the most expensive suad in football history. He's obviously a talented manager but he's had loads of help.

    Klopp's built Dortmund and Liverpool up with relatively limited funds.

    This, Peps been given stuff on a plate, he was given a Champions league winning Bayern side & slowly messed it up.

    Klopp at Dortmund alone wins that for me imo, but the unfortunate win in the CL this season (which lets be real, is what Pep wants at City), means Pep doesn't have a shout.

    Give Pep the side Klopp inherited & 4 seasons to turn it into this, would he? I doubt it as good as he can be at times.
  • arsenalap
    14936 posts Has That Special Something
    To me Pep has a better understanding of the game, whereas Klopp is a better motivator and is sensible with his decisions and what he wants.

    If Klopp won some more trophies then him. For now its even.
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    arsenalap wrote: »
    To me Pep has a better understanding of the game, whereas Klopp is a better motivator and is sensible with his decisions and what he wants.

    If Klopp won some more trophies then him. For now its even.

    Yeah, I think Klopp's ability to motivate is at an alien level. People like to mock the stuff he comes out with, but time and time again, players who've played under him all say the same thing.

    His words to the dressing room prior to the Barca game still gives me goosebumps. Something like "tonight is impossible, but because it's you guys, we have a chance" and "Try. If we can't do it, then let's fail in the most beautiful way".

    The man has a way with words.
  • Gervonta
    4235 posts National Call-Up
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I think the biggest debate with them will always come down to if there roles were reversed. Could Pep build two teams up like Klopp did on a more stringent budget, and could Klopp get the most out of superstar players.

    Personally I think the answer is yes for both, but Klopp just edges it for me. Pep has an absolute brilliant mind and may be a touch better tactically than Klopp, but Klopp has that extra little something that I think every player in the world just appreciates.

    That's what it comes down to for me. However, I disagree with you that it is yes for both. Like @Ahmer50x has already touched upon, Pep has been so, so blessed.

    He started off very lucky with the players he had at Barcelona. If you look at the signings he made for Barcelona, none of them come even remotely close to having the impact that the players who were already there had (Zlatan, Villa, Alves, Fabregas, Sanchez, etc vs Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, etc).

    Then he moved to a team that had literally just won the treble and already had players like Robben, Ribery, Lahm, Neuer, Kroos, Alaba and Muller in the ranks. He added the likes of Vidal, Gotze, Thiago, Alonso and Kimmich to that squad.

    Then he moved to City, who already had the likes of Kompany, Sterling, Aguero, D. Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, etc, and added a whole raft of players for an obscene amount to that with his virtually unlimited funds.

    There's no evidence to suggest that he could do what Klopp did with Dortmund and Liverpool.

    Edit: The fact Klopp has gotten us this close to City, considering the differences in their circumstances, is just outright **** mind-blowing to me.

    Wasn’t pep the one who brought busquets with him from the B team? Pep was also the one that moved Messi from the wing to a more CF position. Pep improved a lot of players he worked with tbh you only have to look at Sterling.

    Alves was a brilliant signing by pep tbh and so was David Villa.

    I’d say they’re tied tbh. Each have outstanding qualities that dwarf in comparison to the other tbh.

  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2019
    Gervonta wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    I think the biggest debate with them will always come down to if there roles were reversed. Could Pep build two teams up like Klopp did on a more stringent budget, and could Klopp get the most out of superstar players.

    Personally I think the answer is yes for both, but Klopp just edges it for me. Pep has an absolute brilliant mind and may be a touch better tactically than Klopp, but Klopp has that extra little something that I think every player in the world just appreciates.

    That's what it comes down to for me. However, I disagree with you that it is yes for both. Like @Ahmer50x has already touched upon, Pep has been so, so blessed.

    He started off very lucky with the players he had at Barcelona. If you look at the signings he made for Barcelona, none of them come even remotely close to having the impact that the players who were already there had (Zlatan, Villa, Alves, Fabregas, Sanchez, etc vs Messi, Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, etc).

    Then he moved to a team that had literally just won the treble and already had players like Robben, Ribery, Lahm, Neuer, Kroos, Alaba and Muller in the ranks. He added the likes of Vidal, Gotze, Thiago, Alonso and Kimmich to that squad.

    Then he moved to City, who already had the likes of Kompany, Sterling, Aguero, D. Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, etc, and added a whole raft of players for an obscene amount to that with his virtually unlimited funds.

    There's no evidence to suggest that he could do what Klopp did with Dortmund and Liverpool.

    Edit: The fact Klopp has gotten us this close to City, considering the differences in their circumstances, is just outright **** mind-blowing to me.

    Wasn’t pep the one who brought busquets with him from the B team? Pep was also the one that moved Messi from the wing to a more CF position. Pep improved a lot of players he worked with tbh you only have to look at Sterling.

    Alves was a brilliant signing by pep tbh and so was David Villa.

    I’d say they’re tied tbh. Each have outstanding qualities that dwarf in comparison to the other tbh.

    Messi and Sterling were always going to be as good as they are. Managers do improve players to an extent, but I do think that this can be overstated sometimes. The player actually has to be good enough to get to that level in the first place, otherwise, every single player under Pep/Klopp should be as good as the other, if it's down to the manager improving them as an individual player. There's a reason why Sterling is better than Mahrez, Salah is better than Shaqiri, VVD is better than Lovren and Messi is better than everyone. Natural talent. Brendan Rodgers was the manager that Suarez first exploded under, but I doubt anyone would attribute it to him.
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2019
    In terms of getting the best out of players, and "seeing" ways to unlock their potential, I'd say Pep and Klopp are on a similar level.

    But inheriting a team that is already full of them, compared to actually having to bring them in afterwards, is a different thing. Klopp edges that, imo.

    Our strongest 11 is probably Alisson, Robertson, VVD, Matip. TAA, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Firmino, Salah and Mane.

    Only one of them was already here. 2 if you include TAA.

    To do that with his net spend...

    Unreal.
  • Mike
    10550 posts Has That Special Something
    :lol:
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    Alex Ferguson is better /thread.
  • Tornado31619
    35004 posts World Cup Winner
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson is better /thread.

    I do really like you, but you really need to remove your United-tinted glasses and start being more objective. Either contribute something constructive to the discussion, or just don’t bother.
  • JDB44
    840 posts Semi-Pro
    Now that we are a year later, has anyone's opinion changed? Klopp has added the Champions League and Premier League trophies to his name. Does that move him above Pep if you were a Pep voter last time?
  • Keano
    20622 posts Club Captain
    Keano wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Klopp

    Pep's career thus far has been: Messi, inherit the treble winners, and assemble the most expensive suad in football history. He's obviously a talented manager but he's had loads of help.

    Klopp's built Dortmund and Liverpool up with relatively limited funds.

    This, Peps been given stuff on a plate, he was given a Champions league winning Bayern side & slowly messed it up.

    Klopp at Dortmund alone wins that for me imo, but the unfortunate win in the CL this season (which lets be real, is what Pep wants at City), means Pep doesn't have a shout.

    Give Pep the side Klopp inherited & 4 seasons to turn it into this, would he? I doubt it as good as he can be at times.

    Nope, agree with everything I say there, bottlejob Fraudiola.
  • AaronMFC
    2846 posts Fans' Favourite
    Klopp for me building a team up to be as good as his dortmund team is and you could easily make the case he made Liverpool the best in the world. Guardiola is an amazing manager but his reputation has been tarnished by awful CL performances since he left Barca. The bayern 5-0 loss to real madrid isnt spoke about enough he turned treble winners into a laughing stock. Last two seasons not playing de bruyne first leg against spurs, I know he was returning from injury but was fit enough for the previous league game, and playing a back 5 v Lyon Man Citys last two exits are on him. His away record in the CL is actually terrible he won 1 out of 9 away games in the knockout stage in charge of bayern.
  • NucksNation
    4634 posts National Call-Up
    Not gonna mention who’s better then both since that isn’t the topic,
    I think klopp is much better than pep. This is coming from a united fan and I can’t stand Liverpool. Look at the team klopp was given at the beginning and look at it now, city is exactly where it was with mancini

    I always said, that Barca team pep took over was raijkaards hard work and won multiple trophies, pep’s work shows in Ucl with BM and now city
  • Nem
    10124 posts Has That Special Something
    SDoofus wrote: »
    H2H record

    Pep: 7
    Draw: 2
    Klopp: 8

    Any update on this @VVD4 ?
  • VVD4
    9273 posts League Winner
    Nem wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    H2H record

    Pep: 7
    Draw: 2
    Klopp: 8

    Any update on this @VVD4 ?

    Gladly.

    Pep: 10
    Draw: 5
    Klopp: 12
  • LAboog4
    1307 posts Professional
    Klopp is better and it’s not even close imo.
  • Nem
    10124 posts Has That Special Something
    VVD4 wrote: »
    Nem wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    H2H record

    Pep: 7
    Draw: 2
    Klopp: 8

    Any update on this @VVD4 ?

    Gladly.

    Pep: 10
    Draw: 5
    Klopp: 12

    Very even in the head to head still, but overall the consistency Pep brings has to edge it for me. Yet to see him have the kind of off season Klopp is prone to every few years.
Sign In or Register to comment.