Xciljw's Guide To A Succesful Possession and Passing Game: 4-3-3 (5)

xciljw
5018 posts Big Money Move
edited June 2015
2m7cayh.jpg
Since the introduction of the false 9 formation in the FIFA series, I could not imagine using a strikerless formation successfully. This year it took me some time to give the formation a go, but there is no way it will leave my side ever again. In H2H Seasons I managed to win all my games from division 8 till 1 using AS Roma, ending up with a record of 49-0-0. This winning streak continued in Ultimate Team, getting my streak in total over 90 games, when I got my first loss with this formation.

So before we start off, I would like to apologise for my English. It won’t be without mistakes, as English is not my first language, but I hope you can see through these. Now you will find a list of what you will be coming across while reading.

STYLE OF PLAY

• Basics
• Player Instructions

ON THE BALL

DEFENDING

BUILDING YOUR TEAM

• Positions
• Hybrids

GAMEPLAY

TEAMS I USED

Style Of Play

BASICS
The philosophy behind this formation is based on keeping possession and accurate passing, which means you will normally dominate the game. I want you to know before reading on that mastering a style of playing is only possible in case the formation suits you or it will require some practice.
263zvyr.jpg
The main idea behind the formation is creating a balanced team. So the team must not be vulnerable to counter attacks, it must be possible to stay on the ball and there must be different ways to score, making you unpredictable. In my opinion this formation covers all these requirements. The main man in the team is the false nine, who is important as the fourth midfielder when he falls back, but who also connects the midfield with the attack and makes the wingers cut inside to find their space behind him, preferably behind the defence line. But in my opinion the position of the Centre Defensive Midfielder is almost as important for this formation, to keep the balance and the defensive stability in your team. A decent CDM gives you the opportunity to control the game and keep pressure on your opponent.

PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS
There are in total six players of which I changed the Player Instructions. Below you will find them, including an explanation why I use them this way.

Fullbacks, Stay back while attacking:
During my first 10 games with this formation, I was planning on playing very offensive, so I used to give them the instruction to ‘Always Overlap’. But in these games I found out they were not there to overlap when I needed them to be there. So because I was actually let down in the advantage it gave me when on the ball, I decided to value the defensive stability and a good balance in the formation higher than this advantage it gave me on the ball.

Central Defensive Midfielder, Stay back while attacking: The reason I decided to use the Central Defensive Midfielder purely on defence, is the fact that the CDMs this year are going forward too much. This would create an unbalanced midfield, with three players at the same time that could go forward, leaving a huge gap between them and the defence. So when the CDM stays back, just like the Fullbacks, it would guarantee at least five players to defend the counter when you lose the ball.

Wingers, Cut Inside, Run behind lines: With the false 9 falling back into midfield it leaves a gap the wingers can get into by cutting inside. I decided to give them the instruction to run behind lines, because it will give you the possibility to have some depth in your play. It makes you more unpredictable when you have the possibility to get your winger one-on-one with the goalie with a through pass and to pass the ball to their feet.

False 9, Target Man, Stay Central: Having him stay central and as target man, falling back in midfield, will actually create a diamond on the midfield, which means there will be triangles. Having more than just one passing possibility, makes it much easier to stay on the ball. By falling back into midfield it will open up space for the wingers to make use of.

On the ball
The key when you are on the ball lies in your own calmness. Take the time to choose the right player to pass the ball to, even when you are under pressure. Some people are trying to pass quickly while under pressure, because they are afraid of losing the ball. But in case you are doing this, you normally will lose the ball because of an inaccurate pass or a pass to a player that was being marked, which results in an interception.

When your keeper got the ball into his hands you should not rush bringing the ball back into the game. Wait till the strikers of your opponent are into position and decide whether you throw the ball to one of the central defenders or one of your fullbacks. The only case in which you may rush bringing the ball back into the game, is when you notice the players of your opponent are out of position, preferably the fullbacks. This could offer space for your wingers. You can reach them with a goalkeeper capable of the Long Thrower trait.

In case you threw the ball to one of your central defenders, you should start looking at the positioning of your opponent’s strikers. Will you be able to reach your central defensive midfielder? If not, what about the fullback? In case these two are not possibilities, you could pass the ball to your other centre-back and wait for the space to pop up to reach players in another position. The most important thing is that you got your eye watching your midfielders trying to find space to receive the ball. Don’t look at your false 9 or wingers yet when you are on the ball with your central defenders.

In case you threw the ball to one your full backs, you should start looking at the movement in the midfield, just like described above. You can also watch the direction in which your winger is moving. As we gave him the instruction to run behind lines the possibility is there that he starts running while you try to reach him in his feet to keep possession. So be careful of that. Pass in his feet when you are 100% sure he is moving towards you. You should decide whether you take the ball into midfield at this moment or you pass the ball into the direction of your winger.

Imagine you decided to pass the ball to your winger. There is three options right now. Normally the central midfielder will be in the mid and will not be marked. In two of the options you will pass the ball his way. The first option is just a normal pass and your winger will stay in the same position for possession play. In the second option you try the L1/LB button while you pass in the direction of the midfielder. This will cause your winger to make the run behind the defender. This is a good option when you notice the defender is following your player when he is falling back. A third option is to make the step over by pressing the R1/RB button. This is a good option in case you notice your opponents fullback is more positioned in the middle or is trying to anticipate on your pass by standing between you and the midfielder.

So now you got the ball to one of your midfielders you are probably asking yourself what’s next? Keep calm, just keep passing in midfield. Try to pass the ball into the feet of your false 9 and depending on the pressure try to turn around or pass it back to a midfielder. Don’t take risk. Pass your way to the box. When you get there and there is no possibility of reaching any of your teammates, turn around and pass the ball back to the CDM who is standing there in the middle. Try to pass your way around the box and wait for the moment one of your players is not marked. This player will face the goalkeeper and has the possibility to score the goal. Take this opportunity. Don’t forget to celebrate!

Defending

Unlike your play on the ball, there is not much I can say about defending. I believe everyone has his own style of defending and it’s best to stick to your own way. I prefer tracking players back with my midfielders instead of switching to a defender. People don’t know what to do when you stay back with your defenders, they will slow down and wait for you to come up, but instead you are chasing them with that midfielder behind them. This is one of the things that work great for me.

Because your full backs got the instruction to stay back on attacks it means your opponent faces four defenders and possibly some midfielders. So when he tries to make the run past your defenders, make sure you force him to make his way to the sides. So in case you are sure you won’t make it back in time with your midfielder, try switching to your full back and position him closer to the central defender. This central defender you should position right between the opponent on the ball and the goal, preferably slightly closer to the other centre-back than to the fullback. This would cause your opponent to make the move in the direction of the full back. Now make sure you select the full back and make another step towards the mid, causing the opponent to again decide to make the run to the side. From this position he will be less dangerous.

Building your team

POSITIONS
Below you will find all different positions including a short description of the abilities they require. Each position will have a list of example players that will fit the position. Besides there will be a list of workrates. When some form of workrates are not in the list, it does not mean it can’t work. It means I personally don’t like it for that position.

Goalkeeper: Go with any goalkeeper you like and who is doing the job for you. I usually prefer goalies with the trait ‘Long Thrower’. This trait makes it easier to reach your wingers for example. It gives you more opportunities of players you can get the ball to.
Examples: Neuer, Courtois, Cech, Casillas, Sirigu

Fullbacks: Taking the given instruction into consideration, the best players for these positions require some strength and a decent defending ability. The instruction does not mean they are not going forward at all. Often there is a lot of space left in front of them, causing me to give them the ball in the space. They don’t have to be the fastest players, but some pace is required.
Workrates: H/M, M/M, H/H, M/H
Examples: Caceres, Filipe Luis, Alaba, Piszczek

Central Defenders: The central defenders require strength, height, good defending stat and all passing is a good bonus during the possession game. Because the defensive line presses up high when you are on the ball for some time, it makes you more vulnerable to counter attacks. That is the reason I prefer some pace on my defenders.
Workrates: L/H, M/H, M/M
Examples: Kompany, Chiellini, Barzagli, Boateng, Thiago Silva, Godin

Central Defensive Midfielder: The CDM should be able to win the ball back to you and contribute to the attack. It makes him an allround player who mainly requires decent defending and physical stats. Passing and dribbling are of importance as well. It would make it easier to stay on the ball on midfield. Shooting is least important because he is mainly a defensive orientated player.
Workrates: M/H, L/H, L/M, M/M
Examples: Yaya Touré, De Rossi, Felipe Melo, Matic

Central Midfielders: There are two types of central midfielders in the way I use this formation. The one is more the box-to-box type of player that needs to contribute in defence and attack. This type of player requires everything. He is mainly all-round, where the offensive stats are more important than defensive stats. You can position him yourself in the right place, but you can’t fix his shooting to give you an example for that. The other type of player on the midfield is the more offensive orientated midfielder. He should be able to give those through balls that would get you in a scoring position. His shooting must be decent as well. He will pop up in the box sometimes.
Workrates box-to-box: H/H, M/M
Workrates offensive: H/M
Examples box-to-box: Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Ramsey, Gerrard
Examples offensive: Modric, Iniesta, Pogba, Fabregas

Wingers: The idea behind the wingers in this formation is them to cut in and reach them with a through ball. So because they need to make runs and cover some distance quickly pace is an important aspect of players in this position. Besides they will often come into a scoring position, which makes shooting and dribbling important as well. I prefer players that can get in with their strong foot. So a left-footed player on the right and a right-footed player on the left.
Workrates: H/L, H/M, M/L
Examples: Ronaldo, Reus, Bale, Robben, Hazard, Lavezzi

False 9: In this position I prefer a player with amazing (long) shots, great passing and lovely dribbling. Strength is not a requirement, but each bit helps. I prefer a converted CAM over a converted striker in this position. This player should assist runs by the wingers and score goals himself. Because this player is not making runs himself, pace is not needed. This is that one player that you feel you are wasting at the midfield, because he has too much qualities.
Workrates: M/M
Examples: Messi, Cazorla, Sneijder, James Rodriguez, Totti

HYBRIDS
A paragraph about hybrids is not really common in a formation guide, while most people enjoy using hybrids. So I thought it would be a good idea to show some of the different possibilities of building a hybrid in this formation. Below you will find two different forms of a hybrid in 4-3-3 (5). This only includes strong and perfect chem links. There are a lot more possibilities making a hybrid with use of weak links, but including all these would take up too much time.
2mhdeoj.jpg
yosnc.jpg

Gameplay

Teams I Used
292w491.jpg
303lbpg.jpg
0463799387b4f8eeb6c4176a7cd6f203.png
b8969cce69f301649bf57906edaa0b40.png
984b027be0b424db0efb63ff3b9888fa.png
1cf1d4e95fe4ac391ebc04045203de55.png
c83e0d5c80db5a7a31a403fc73ca6941.png
7e1356e48c6af7eb671d237454f3d6c8.png
5190948dda5a4edd0b96d3a19479ea13.png
Post edited by xciljw on

Comments

• BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2015
    Sides I'm planning to build:
    OEKDQrL.jpg
    f3sTETo.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions? I realise I don't need to split my bundesliga and BBVA but hybrid ocd lol

Post edited by BackDaddy on
  • ChrisLFC
    7094 posts Big Money Move
    I just won Div 1 with this:

Jese--Suarez--Vela

Modric--Iniesta
    Perez

Alba--Varane--Pepe--Carvajal
    Bravo

Iniesta and Suarez are so fun and effective to use.
  • xciljw
    BackDaddy wrote: »

Neymar Messi robben
    SIF rakitic Lahm schwein
    Maxwell SilvA Boateng piszcech
    Sirigu

Reus sif Muller bale
    SIF De bruyne Toure toty kroos
    Rodriguez Kompany kolo carvajal
    Courtois

Any thoughts or suggestions? I realise I don't need to split my bundesliga and BBVA but hybrid ocd lol

Really like your teams. Was little sceptical first with a small CDM like Lahm, but have been using Fernandinho succesfully lately. The second team I'd go with Kompany and Mangala and not with Kolo because of height. Must say I havent used Kolo myself, but would be what I would do.
  • xciljw
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    I just won Div 1 with this:

Jese--Suarez--Vela

Modric--Iniesta
    Perez

Alba--Varane--Pepe--Carvajal
    Bravo

Iniesta and Suarez are so fun and effective to use.

Good to hear the false 9 is working for you. Think Perez can make an awesome CDM. Modric was amazing for me. Really balanced and quality CM. I'd go with Marcelo LB and go with Godin CB instead of Varane.
  • BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    xciljw wrote: »

Neymar Messi robben
    SIF rakitic Lahm schwein
    Sirigu

Reus sif Muller bale
    Courtois

Really like your teams. Was little sceptical first with a small CDM like Lahm, but have been using Fernandinho succesfully lately. The second team I'd go with Kompany and Mangala and not with Kolo because of height. Must say I havent used Kolo myself, but would be what I would do.

Thanks man, should I change Maxwell SilvA Sirigu for Marcello Ramos casillas?
    Think I had it like that as I thought Ramos and casillas were going in my other team
  • xciljw

Neymar Messi robben
    SIF rakitic Lahm schwein
    Sirigu

Reus sif Muller bale
    Courtois

Thanks man, should I change Maxwell SilvA Sirigu for Marcello Ramos casillas?
    Think I had it like that as I thought Ramos and casillas were going in my other team

You can also go with Filipe Luis, Cahill, Courtois. Is another option. Don't really like the looks of Maxwell in-game stats. Very average for such price. Like the 3 you came up with as well. :)
  • Did you use any Custom Tactics?
  • Just used this formation for a couple of games and I found it amazing! Playing a possession style with short, quick passing makes fifa way more fun, and makes it more rewarding when you.

God bless you Xciljw.
  • sipilainen
    396 posts Sunday League Hero
    Has anyone used Ibra as CF? Would he be effective enough for that role?
  • xciljw
    Chazz_H4 wrote: »
    Just used this formation for a couple of games and I found it amazing! Playing a possession style with short, quick passing makes fifa way more fun, and makes it more rewarding when you.

God bless you Xciljw.

Glad to hear you enjoy using this formation. To answer the question you asked, I am not using any custom tactics, only instructions. But you probably found those in the guide already.
  • xciljw
    sipilainen wrote: »

Have not used him there, but I think he makes a really good CF for this style of playing. :wink:
  • Chazz_H4
    7 posts Ball Boy
    Who would you say if the best CF in the BPL?
  • Azablucky
    4134 posts National Call-Up
    What player would you use at CF from the La Liga?
  • xciljw
    Azablucky wrote: »
    What player would you use at CF from the La Liga?

IF Bale and Messi are too expensive for me but are great for the CF spot. I used James Rodriguez as CF and he was amazing up there. I'd either go with him or with SIF Rakitic, who looks amazing as well. If you'd like more of a striker as CF I think Suarez could be your man. Quite a few decent options. Just depends on your budget though.
  • xciljw
    Chazz_H4 wrote: »
    Who would you say if the best CF in the BPL?
    I have been using SIF Cazorla and MOTM Welbeck succesfully. I would go with one of these. Didn't really like Aguero as CF, somehow I could not finish with him. I think I would go with Cazorla if I had to choose between the two of them. But a requirement for using him is not to battle with the defenders because he will lose anyway. In case it is low budget I think I would go with either Rooney or Jovetic.
  • Azablucky
    4134 posts National Call-Up
    Do you use custom tactics for possession play?
  • Jonesing10
    72 posts Park Captain
    Using these in D1 right now. This is my favorite formation and the one I always come back to if I start struggling with others. Using mostly pack pulled players since I bought my favorites to use in game (neymar, ibra, coutinho / reus, ribery, robben, de bruyne)

1dcac549853363ef6284b6b71faf7911.png60ecf7a7e08199f6a89feb0ba781e2ff.png
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    @Jonesing10, Reus working well as a CF?

Could get him, but then I need a replacement for him at LW.
  • Jonesing10
    72 posts Park Captain
    He is great there. He can do everything (shoot,pass,dribble). he rotates around in game with Ribery and Robben so his pace comes in handy on the wings
  • Jonesing10
    72 posts Park Captain
    sipilainen wrote: »

Have not used him there, but I think he makes a really good CF for this style of playing. :wink:

Ibra was born to CF even on 8 Chem he is tied with Reus for my favorite to use there
  • xciljw
    Azablucky wrote: »
    Do you use custom tactics for possession play?

Not using custom tactics.

• xciljw
    Added another vid in here from some time ago. Me playing the Birthday Cup, starting in 2nd round.

• Not sure if you're a user of bronze players, but do you think it could still work with them? If so could you suggest any false 9s? I know bronzes are less technical so I'm not sure if it would work
  • xciljw
    BraduBradu wrote: »
    Not sure if you're a user of bronze players, but do you think it could still work with them? If so could you suggest any false 9s? I know bronzes are less technical so I'm not sure if it would work

I have not used bronzes in this formation. My friend did for a tournament and he was using Achahbar as CF and he absolutely loved him. So I would say they can work. I am not really intro bronzes, so could be I miss out on very decent bronze players, but a quick look at it made me see the following players: Achahbar, Hussain, Beckmann, Villareal.

• xciljw wrote: »
    BraduBradu wrote: »
    Not sure if you're a user of bronze players, but do you think it could still work with them? If so could you suggest any false 9s? I know bronzes are less technical so I'm not sure if it would work

I have not used bronzes in this formation. My friend did for a tournament and he was using Achahbar as CF and he absolutely loved him. So I would say they can work. I am not really intro bronzes, so could be I miss out on very decent bronze players, but a quick look at it made me see the following players: Achahbar, Hussain, Beckmann, Villareal.

Cheers man! That inform Achahbar is really difficult to pick up I think. Might try Villareal now that Oduro has been moved to a RM
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner
    Hey man, great guide, I'm loving the style and tenor of your writing/advice. Was wondering if I could run a conundrum past you and see what you thought as you're almost like the father of this formation in my mind Fifa-wise?

I'll try to keep the narrative to a minimum but I want to spell out my journey through formation selection this year so it's impossible to be super concise (I'll just shoot for concise-ish - is that on oxymoron?). I'll preface by saying I'm not a great player but I'd consider myself "good" on my best days and mediocre on my bad days, especially in defense (work in progress). I've been working on refining my passing game since the beginning of the year and think I've made big strides from the sweatwhore I was when I picked up the game on '13 release day, usually having the majority of possession in almost every match and often above 55 or even 60 percent with 80% passing, give or take.

So, I started out the year and was really intrigued by the F9, and I was fully committed to appropriating about 90 percent of my coins to trading and building for the future. Loved the look and balance of the formation on paper and built a Bundesilver side with Beister, Clemens and Didavi up top. Without knowing it, I actually got number of your stipulations for player makeup and work rates - I got some solid enjoyment out of it and quickly progressed up to D5-6 and then really stagnated. I think at that point I was still easily a victim of sweaty play and would get sped up and fall apart too easily. The wingers were fun for silvers but didn't feel the dominant force I needed with no focal-point striker and a cf that was a bit too weak to hold his own or finish enough to really be a killer F9 against heightened opposition. I didn't play with instrux at that point and refuse to use custom tactics so was pretty much on balanced and either default tactics or possession.

By the time I felt like I needed a change, Toty was around the corner so I started dreaming on a legends team to use with my substantial trade profit (thanks IF Guide!!) so I settled more or less on running a 4312 or 41212-2 squad similar to this:

4z44sjbl.jpg

I had a good time with it but the legend strikers were the only real highlight as found the formation to lack a little width and pizzazz overall. I did like the continued presence of a CDM but felt the wide mids were too heavily relied upon in the attack to play the way I wanted and the strikers were lacking if I needed to get out wide to change things up. I upgraded Pogba and Toure, and eventually interchanged Gullit into the CAM role when I could afford him without diminishing my trading but still felt like the formation lacked that IT factor for me (also felt that while having Gullit up higher was frat going forward that his all-around abilities were a tad wasted unless I manually tracked back). I did like the passing triangles of the formation but just always found myself lacking in the final third or super vulnerable if I pushed with my fullbacks to get that wrinkle. I think I may have at the time also been a victim of "over instructing" my players as when I limited my use of instrux later in this process I felt much more "free".

So that led me to try some very short-lived changes of trying my 4411 love from last year (mediocre wingers at the time and realized I don't like them that low-lying any more) and 4231/451 (similar complaints and also too defensive and counter-attacky for my likes). 4321 felt ok but I didn't love the link possibilities or the shape, so I finally tried, after 2.5 years playing, a 433 variant other than the F9. I knew "3" wasn't for me and since I like some sort of central CAM figure I didn't spend much time pondering the "1" either. "2" played ok for me but was just a bit too deep lying in the midfield and I could never mitigate that huge hole where I typically like to have a cam. I free-roamed mids, pushed one or both farther up the pitch but never could feel connected to my top 3, who always felt isolated and disinterested as a result. I always fancied he "4" version on paper but since it lacked in defensive cover and I was still in denial about my lack of chance creation against better players I didn't feel before like I should go that direction. When I finally struggled to my wit's end in toiling about in D2-4 I decided it was time to work toward being a Ronaldo owner (started with Reus and Schmelzer) and upgraded when I could afford the biggest of big dogs and have had pretty much this ever since:

tlnA4Awl.jpg

Tbh, I've had a lot of fun with it, and I cruised into D1 and though I've fallen short of he title numerous times it's made me feel like a contender. Options in attack feel good though not great and my players are good enough to where I feel like I can hold my own in most average sweat-fest online matches. My problems lie with the fact that I have the greatest attacking force in the game in CR99 feeling under-involved and blocked in his movement by formation shape and perosonnell and the feeling I get with many wingers this year that they simply disappear and/or get trapped outside. I love his decoy ability within reason, but I think I need more from him and refuse to use him out of position on crappy chem at striker (and can't get on with the "2-1" formations with LF and RF flanking a central striker).

As I've grown more disgruntled with the general online community, their horrid play style and win-at-all-costs mentality I've realized that there is much more enjoyment for me in friendlies and forum tournies, and in the process of playing fewer sweaty matches and more tactical football against awesome players on the whole, where I need a bit more in defense and more solid passing options and balance on attack going forward (plus the whole wanting to use Ronaldo more as my main squeeze and the feeling I always play better with Kluivert, or any other striker for that matter, when they're playing back to goal and creator until it's time to get into he box or sneak in behind).

So, 327 paragraphs later, and after reading all of that if you're still awake I both applaud and thank you endlessly, do you think it's time I go full circle and run something like this:

fYvl3wUl.jpg

I think I like the possibilities of Gullit getting a bit more of an all-around role, getting a true CF (I absolutely loved the Iceman last year as cf in my 4411)" and also upgrading fullbacks and trying out Kroos in what I feel is a perfect spot for him. A variation I think I could afford would be Matthaus at RCM and Gullit at CF, but barring a strong recommendation against I think the pictured option is more my style...

Do you think that the abilities I have, mixed with the way I want to play/types of matches I'll be playing more and more, and the personnel I have/want that a switch is warranted? Have I found the final resting place for those criteria, all synthesized in this formation where it all started for me this year?

Any thoughts and recommendations are very much appreciated in advance! Man, that is a post and a half right there, at least :o
  • JNO
    19 posts Ball Boy
    Well, if you ever get done with the post above, do you think pele would work?
  • xciljw
    @WaCoug615 That's quite a long story mate. Took some time to read it and get things straight and tried to produce some fit/misfit analysis.

So first the basics, the playing style. Your average ball possession and passing stats show the formation fits the way you want to play this year.

I am reading you had great fun using it with silvers, but the lack of quality these players have compared to the gold made it impossible to keep promoting. I found out the same thing with some Bronze Silver Gold squads, just in another formation (4-3-3 (2)), and for this formation I actually share your opinion. So it is a good thing we are on the same line with this.

You want to use Ronaldo on his best position without losing chem. He must be placed LW and his biggest quality is getting in. Without a striker standing in his way, using a CF creates most space for him to do so. So this formation in my opinion probably suits him best according to what you like and what works for you. So no LF (2-1 formations) up front but a little wider LW, to also keep the width in the game, just like you didnt seem to like with the 4-3-1-2, which was too narrow. That formation and this formation share a lot of similarities, I used 4-3-1-2 successfully before moving to this formation. Just imagine your strikers in the 4-3-1-2 as the LW/RW, the CAM as the CF and the CM is a more offensive minded CDM.

Another thing you'd like is using Gullit and making use of all his qualities. So this can't be as CDM, which keeps him too far back, it can't be as striker or false 9, because he will stay too far forward. As CAM you thought he was too far up as well. So it actually leaves the CM spot for him to utilize his offensive and defensive qualities. And he can do that in this formation. That won't be a problem playing this. But of course there are more formations that suit the use of a CM. There are probably a few better formations with a CM in the mid of the pitch, making him the main man on the midfield. The CMs in this formation play a little more to the side, which does not get him influenced in the game as often as you probably want him to.

You also said you were vulnerable with the full backs. As you probably read I decided to get it as much balanced and defensive stable as possible. So the full backs in this formation stay back, just as the CDM. This is just a little in contrast with your 4-3-3 (4) results, which seemed to be really good for such an offensive formation. You think you should be playing more offensive against better players so you can score, but I personally think it is about getting that one balanced team, it does not matter who your opponent is. In case you are much better you will score anyway and probably won't concede (or not as many goals). You will control the game. On the other hand, when you play someone who is really decent at the game and you think you have difficulties scoring against, why not keep trying with the balanced formation and wait for that one or two chances you will always get and make sure you are defensively al right? It will keep you in the game, a better player will most likely be better at attacking as well. So in case defending is your weak spot, it is important the formation covers this and does not give your opponent the opportunity to exploit this.

Funny to read, and maybe a little off-topic, is you saying you loved 4-4-1-1 last year and didn't like it last year. I must say it was my favourite formation last year as well and it lead to lots of successes. This year it seemed too defensive, just as you said. So things like this we agree on, can actually be signs of us playing quite similar or at least can be signs wanting to play in a similar way. If that's the case the false 9 should work for you.

In case you want to use the formation, I think it is good if I give you some feedback on the squad you made. Ron and Gullit seem clear and logical based on your story and what I have said about it above. The French triangle with CBs and CDM is probably best you can make, based on reviews about them and people using the exact same triangle in the same formation. Bergkamp would make an amazing CF to me. I don't know about Figo. Seems like the best possible option. But he is right footed, which makes it little more complicated playing him as I prefer left footed players on the right. Was looking on getting Robben in there and unless you can afford TOTY Lahm and Beckenbauer you will not get him full chem with decent options around him. TOTY Kroos and possibly in the near future TOTS Marcelo will be alright to complete the squad. GK is nothing wrong with of course.

Hope you read some useful things by now. Let me know if you have any further questions or what you decided to do! :)
  • xciljw
    edited April 2015
    JNO wrote: »
    Well, if you ever get done with the post above, do you think pele would work?
    Yeah definately. Amazing player for the formation. That guy would fit in any team to be honest with you, haha. :P

@JNO
  • Milky
    4684 posts National Call-Up
    first