First thoughts on FIFA 20 career mode (it’s too easy)

Mativo
27 posts Last Pick at the Park
This are my first thoughts on FIFA 20 career mode after playing it for 10 hours thanks to the EA Access membership.

1. Career mode itself
Nothing really changed here to be honest. The pre- and post-match interviews are a nice addition but I already saw myself skipping it a few times.

Can’t say anything about the dynamic potential because nothing changed in the games i played (1/4) of a season.

2. Feel of the game
The overall feel of the game is good. For me it’s still too quick and the pass and shot power in unrealistic. I changed the gamespeed to slow and made some slider changes:
Run speed 49
Acceleration: 49
Shot speed: 46
Pass speed: 45
For me these changed hit the sweet spot for career mode and it actually feels pretty good after the changes. Way more realistic.

3. Difficulty
This really is the bottleneck at the moment. The game is way too easy. The AI hardly makes an attacking run. Aren’t aggressive off ball. They only make tackles in the 16 metres box. After like 15 games I’ve had 1 freekick and 3 penalties. That says it all. AI defence is extremly bad, even on Ultimate i just see myself running past 3 defenders. Off ball the AI just doesn’t do anything. I even had a moment where my RB had the ball, stood still and didn’t do anything for 5 ingame minutes and the AI didn’t press or attacked him even tho they were 2-0 behind.

Scoring is way too easy and I see myself winning games with 6-1 (Ajax v Lille). I can’t remember a game I scored less than 4 goals in.

I made some slider changed that made the game a bit harder but just because the AI doesn’t press and isn’t agressive it keeps feeling weird. My changed:
Goalkeeper ability (cpu only): 60
Positioning: run frequency (cpu only): 60
First touch control error (cpu only): 35
Pass error CPU: 20

4. Overall thoughts
The base is okay and even tho we didn’t really get much changed in career mode the game feels okay. Difficulty needs to be patched and the AI needs to be more aggressive. When they actually make the AI better, this could be a very good FIFA.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you want :)

Comments

• Have you tried playing with fully manual settings on? Not only does it make it more difficult, but much more realistic IMO as well.
  • Yeah, the game is too easy on Ultimate. I'm winning 10-0 with Sunderland regularly and 3-0 against Chelsea.

CPU defense is slow. Some teams that actually press are terrible at it and is partially because User passing/first touch is too accurate, that's one of the first things I turn down to 40/50ish. Also try turning up CPU's Marking, they tend to be a bit tighter when defending. I also turned up CPU's Accel/Sprint speed, they never catch up when I break with players that only have 70 pace.
  • BGAlum
    1447 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2019
  • SimonR7
    53 posts Park Captain
    I always find semi pro fairly easy but the find the next level too difficult.
  • mfmaxpower
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I found the Early Access version to be way too easy, but now in the full retail release I'm bottom of the table on Ultimate and can barely get a goal.

This is coming from someone who's #1 complaint in recent years was it's too easy. Last year I could score 4+ goals per game in the EPL with not a single player rated over 75.

Not sure what's going on, cause I see other say it's too easy too, but I'm finding it pretty darn challenging, both in defense and attack.
  • GoonerSoldier
    381 posts Sunday League Hero
    Fcpchop88 wrote: »
    Have you tried playing with fully manual settings on? Not only does it make it more difficult, but much more realistic IMO as well.

THIS is why EA have to add a difficulty so often. Soon itll be Super Ultimate Difficulty. The problem is EA has all the controller settings on AUTO and only Crossing set to SEMI. This means that aiming and weighing a pass/shot is NOT important at all. There is very little SKILL involved from user input on the control.

Now if you change the controller settings to SEMI or MANUAL it becomes difficult in the sense you need AIMING and Power up skills fir all passes/shots. Try putting everything on SEMI to see if it's still too easy.
  • mfmaxpower
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Also, I think Slow game speed is breaking the game. If you're playing on Slow, and finding it too easy, I think this is why.
  • I play as MAN U on ultimate difficulty and regularly win 5-0. I guess I’m relieved to find I’m not the only one. I think the Game speed is the best it’s been in years (I like to play on fast) but for some reason the AI has no idea they are down a goal and need to press nor how to mark any player I throw in the box. I thought I’d finally get a proper challenge on ultimate but it feels like I’m playing on semi pro. Any idea if they’re planning on fixing this?
  • Nakusin
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I'm playing full manual on World Class & I'm not winning every game with ease, I've had mixed results in line with my team, maybe I'm simply not the most super player (which is true) but then I imagine I'd also be demolishing teams a lot more with absolute perfection with every touch of the ball. As it is with manual it's much easier to make mistakes, under hit a pass that messes up the move, over hit a pass, etc. It's worth trying & learning, it makes for a more fun game in my opinion. The problem will be when they up the difficulty to account for all the auto players, those of us on manual are going to be facing a nightmare defence to breakdown.
  • DanielA-NUFC
    107 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @Nakusin I agree I’m a manual player too and I don’t find it easy on ultimate it’s a challenge which is good.
  • jamin33
    81 posts Park Captain
    I'm spurs just l played Bayern in UCL won 4-0. Never really thought to try full manual so am going to give it a go in the hope of more of a challenge. What difficulty do you recommend for some 1 like me who has never really played on manual ?
  • DiBinni72
    106 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Mativo wrote: »
    This are my first thoughts on FIFA 20 career mode after playing it for 10 hours thanks to the EA Access membership.

1. Career mode itself
    Nothing really changed here to be honest. The pre- and post-match interviews are a nice addition but I already saw myself skipping it a few times.

Can’t say anything about the dynamic potential because nothing changed in the games i played (1/4) of a season.

2. Feel of the game
    The overall feel of the game is good. For me it’s still too quick and the pass and shot power in unrealistic. I changed the gamespeed to slow and made some slider changes:
    Run speed 49
    For me these changed hit the sweet spot for career mode and it actually feels pretty good after the changes. Way more realistic.

3. Difficulty
    This really is the bottleneck at the moment. The game is way too easy. The AI hardly makes an attacking run. Aren’t aggressive off ball. They only make tackles in the 16 metres box. After like 15 games I’ve had 1 freekick and 3 penalties. That says it all. AI defence is extremly bad, even on Ultimate i just see myself running past 3 defenders. Off ball the AI just doesn’t do anything. I even had a moment where my RB had the ball, stood still and didn’t do anything for 5 ingame minutes and the AI didn’t press or attacked him even tho they were 2-0 behind.

Scoring is way too easy and I see myself winning games with 6-1 (Ajax v Lille). I can’t remember a game I scored less than 4 goals in.

I made some slider changed that made the game a bit harder but just because the AI doesn’t press and isn’t agressive it keeps feeling weird. My changed:

4. Overall thoughts
    The base is okay and even tho we didn’t really get much changed in career mode the game feels okay. Difficulty needs to be patched and the AI needs to be more aggressive. When they actually make the AI better, this could be a very good FIFA.

1. Career mode itself

2. Feel of the game
    Run speed 49

3. Difficulty

4. Overall thoughts

1. Career mode itself

2. Feel of the game
    Run speed 49

3. Difficulty

4. Overall thoughts

1. Career mode itself

2. Feel of the game
    Run speed 49

3. Difficulty

4. Overall thoughts

Like i wrote before:
    If you touch the sliders, every team plays the same - all the individuality will be gone.
    I also played with sliders in the last fifas, in the first few matches i thought everything is better, but thats getting overwritten playing further in the career......
  • sevnup wrote: »
    Yeah, the game is too easy on Ultimate. I'm winning 10-0 with Sunderland regularly and 3-0 against Chelsea.

CPU defense is slow. Some teams that actually press are terrible at it and is partially because User passing/first touch is too accurate, that's one of the first things I turn down to 40/50ish. Also try turning up CPU's Marking, they tend to be a bit tighter when defending. I also turned up CPU's Accel/Sprint speed, they never catch up when I break with players that only have 70 pace.

Yeah same. I should not have been able to beat prem league teams with Cheltenham Town in my first season on Ultimate.