Comments

• VVD4
    5171 posts Big Money Move
    Pietu wrote: »
    VVD4 wrote: »
    Kanturk wrote: »
    Huge win we might have just about deserved for how we controlled the match. Dalot was very good. Defensively, it's as quiet a day De Gea has had this year which is encouraging. Going forward there was a lack of quality. You'd could make a case to drop to whole front 4 against Boro and go Cavani up top with Martial, VDB and Rashford behind. Greenwood was so poor but at least he's working off the ball now.

xG doesn't tell the whole story. It’s an overused stat, eye test >>> xG always.

False.

No it's not, eye test will always be superior.

The eye test more or less would back up what xG says, unless you need to go to Specsavers.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35299 posts World Cup Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    hahaha nice to see I'm not the only one sitting there questioning that.

That was prob Maguire's best performance on the season

No doubt about that.

Rashford back on form too it would appear.

Ralf dropping them recently seems to have lit a fire.

I still wouldn't be looking to bring him back in immediately though imo. I think you still roll on with Lindelof and Varane.

Agree to disagree there obviously but you probably knew that :joy:

That's just been my view regardless of who we're discussing. I don't think one good performance should mean that you immediately take the spot over someone who's been consistently playing well and earned their spot. Especially considering the only reason that person wasn't out there was because they were with their family after their home was broken into.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Huge win we might have just about deserved for how we controlled the match. Dalot was very good. Defensively, it's as quiet a day De Gea has had this year which is encouraging. Going forward there was a lack of quality. You'd could make a case to drop to whole front 4 against Boro and go Cavani up top with Martial, VDB and Rashford behind. Greenwood was so poor but at least he's working off the ball now.

Even with the "eye test", that XG is pretty accurate on todays game. Their best chance came from the corner which they put wide.
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain
    The Rashford goal was 0.94 xG.

Even before it, we had done enough to feel like 1-0 to us was fair. With that chance, it would've been a crime for the score to show anything other than a United win.
  • Pietu
    11601 posts Has That Special Something

False.

The eye test more or less would back up what xG says, unless you need to go to Specsavers.

I actually do need new glasses soon, but my point wasn't that the xG was bad this game, just that it doesn't tell the whole story, and we should stop with the Americanisation of football before it goes too far.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited January 22

False.

I actually do need new glasses soon, but my point wasn't that the xG was bad this game, just that it doesn't tell the whole story, and we should stop with the Americanisation of football before it goes too far.

Fun fact... XG stats is a model that came from Sportrec Solutions...which is based out of Germany, so I'm not sure what that has to do with "Americanisation of football".

And of course "xG" doesn't tell the WHOLE story... it's not supposed to... it's primarily supposed to show you the "expected goals" based on chances created and the likely hood of a goal from those chances.

There are plenty of other stats to look at to provide a picture of the whole story.
  • ViVaWho
    356 posts Sunday League Hero
    set piece goals are so important, its really bad we cant score from them
  • Stlducks
    8886 posts League Winner

False.

You're hatred of America is outstanding. :D Everything negative to you has to do with America like other countries didn't come up with statistics on their own.
  • arsenalap
    13093 posts Has That Special Something
    xG is useful for some stuff.

But, does it account for a team having a top quality GK? Or teams that specifically set up to score from range. Not sure how it accounts for set pieces properly either?

For teams that love creating chances in open play (City, Liverpool, old Barca etc), i'm sure it's quite a useful stat. But it doesn't capture the whole story.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited January 22
    arsenalap wrote: »

But, does it account for a team having a top quality GK? Or teams that specifically set up to score from range. Not sure how it accounts for set pieces properly either?

For teams that love creating chances in open play (City, Liverpool, old Barca etc), i'm sure it's quite a useful stat. But it doesn't capture the whole story.

As far as top quality GK... I think it's useful for telling that yes, because typically if you have a top quality GK or at least one that put in a quality performance, that team would have conceded a higher xG than actual G's conceded.

As far as teams setup to score from distance, that's where the "likelihood of that chance becoming a goal" factor of analyzing comes into play when determining xG.
    Post edited by XxRichiexRichxX on
  • Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    Missed the match as I was at the in-laws all day. Came home and found a site to watch match recordings on. First thing it comes up with is "watch Man United 1-0 West Ham". Great, thanks. Well at least we won.
  • Pietu
    11601 posts Has That Special Something
    Stlducks wrote: »

False.

You're hatred of America is outstanding. :D Everything negative to you has to do with America like other countries didn't come up with statistics on their own.

Want another? It's not a good country :wink:
  • VVD4
    arsenalap wrote: »

As far as top quality GK... I think it's useful for telling that yes, because typically if you have a top quality GK or at least one that put in a quality performance, that team would half conceded a higher xG than actual G's conceded.

As far as teams setup to score from distance, that's where the "likelihood of that chance becoming a goal" factor of analyzing comes into play when determining xG.

This.
  • Ahmer50x

This is a few days old now but I'm bringing it up because of Rangnick's quote.

It seems like United are actually taking this director of football thing seriously. Murtough led the search and interview process that gave us Rangnick and now he seems to be the one handling transfers. We'll see how that plays out with a permanent manager rather than an interim in a few months, but for now, it's nice to see.
  • Ahmer50x
  • Ashy
    19686 posts World Class
    I think it's worth noting with Pep leaving City in 2023, they'll be sounding out his replacement let's say they go for a Ten Hag they'll be asking him to stay at Ajax one more season and rejecting United.

Same applies for whoever they go for, I think you'll probably get Poch
  • yosef167
    4491 posts National Call-Up
    i love POCH but i really want Ten hag i feel he will really Put this club back to glory days if he is backed (he will need to make changes in the team)
  • ViVaWho
    edited January 24
    we do need another body in there imo, we cant count Matic as an option and VDB clearly is not considered for the 2 deeper midfield roles

whick leaves us with just Mcfred and pogba
  • Ahmer50x

Can only hope the outgoings enable a midfield signing.
  • VVD4
    Can actually see him doing well at Sevilla
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    It depends on where they play him and the competition they have there. They already have Ocampos and Gomez on the wing and just signed Corona. Idk where they stand on their ST situation.

It'll be interesting to see. I do think he'd do well in the league in general though if he's properly motivated.
  • ViVaWho
    he made a great impact when he came on, but we know he wont be consistent anyway
  • Teh Zombz
    5279 posts Big Money Move
    if he can magically sort out his consistency issues he'll be a good signing for sevilla, doubtful though

• Ahmer50x
    "Manchester United have agreed to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla for the rest of the season, with the Spanish club paying a fee of about €6m (£5m) and covering the forward’s £150,000-a-week salary." -Fabrizio Romano, The Guardian

"Newcastle are waiting to hear if United will sanction a six-month loan move for Lingard. They are willing to pay a fee of more than £5 million to get the deal done but are yet to get the green light from Old Trafford." -Rob Dawson, ESPN

Add on the 25m+add ons we got off Leeds for Dan James

...Are we actually getting good at negotiating outgoings?
  • Ahmer50x
    Teh Zombz wrote: »
    if he can magically sort out his consistency issues he'll be a good signing for sevilla, doubtful though

We don't need him to be good forever though. Just have a solid few months to fool someone into paying a good fee.
  • Ashy
    19686 posts World Class
    edited January 25
    Martial is completely out the picture so £5m and £150k/week saved for 5 months is quite good. Essentially £8m for a player that you won't miss whatsoever.

Lingard could come off the bench and make an impact but there is no point keeping him and VDB, I'd be trying to get more out of Newcastle than £5m though unless it's just a loan with no guarantee of keeping him.
  • Ahmer50x
    Ashy wrote: »
    Martial is completely out the picture so £5m and £150k/week saved for 5 months is quite good. Essentially £8m for a player that you won't miss whatsoever.

Lingard could come off the bench and make an impact but there is no point keeping him and VDB, I'd be trying to get more out of Newcastle than £5m though unless it's just a loan with no guarantee of keeping him.

Newcastle seem open to either a loan for around 5m or a buy for 10m-ish.

Issue is more than Jesse doesn't want to sign on with Newcastle for more than 6 months because of the relegation risk so it's probably a loan.