Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Keano
    19569 posts World Class
    SimenHP wrote: »
    The thing with Sancho vs Kane is that...

Kane is already an established striker in PL and you know you will get goals. Sancho on the other hand is an amazing talent, he is still young and has shown in Bundesliga that he can assist and score goals, but will he be able to do the same in PL?

So what is smarter, take a chance on Sancho and hope he will succeed or go for Kane and be 99% sure he will be amazing for you even though it will only be for a few years?

I mean thats part of the story, though you've heavily swayed it for Kane.

Sancho -
    Young, creative, goal threat, balances out the attack, cheaper & can use money elsewhere, a position we actually need, proven in the bundes
    Not prem proven, not as prolific, taking a chance to an extent due to league changes.

Kane -
    Prem proven, goal threat from everywhere, one of the best strikers about.
    Older, injury prone, we already have quality in those areas, it'll stall Greenwoods change to a central role.

Kane is a fantastic player to have, & for most clubs i'd say he is the better choice, but specifically for United given who we have & what we need and have needed for 10 years, i'd go Sancho everyday of the week for this window.

• Ahmer50x
    28924 posts Player of the Year
    If the price was the same, I think it’s a genuinely hard choice.

Given Kane would cost pretty much our entire budget whereas Sancho is closer to 50-70% of that, I think it’s an easy pick.
  • Tornado31619
    26747 posts Player of the Year
    Kane would work if we were in search of the final piece of the puzzle, we still need at least another midfielder and CB
  • Keano
    19569 posts World Class
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    If the price was the same, I think it’s a genuinely hard choice.

Given Kane would cost pretty much our entire budget whereas Sancho is closer to 50-70% of that, I think it’s an easy pick.

Oh yeah if the price is the same you'd be inclind to go Kane & Cavani can be used centrally or on the right like PSG used him with Ibra central, but price alone means we can get Sancho & another target for Kane money. As I said, any other club i'd prob say go Kane, but for Uniteds specific needs i'd say Sancho 99% of the time.
  • Ashy
    14545 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 17
    But would Man Utd pass up the opportunity to let City have a free run at Kane and dominate the league for the next 3 years at least?
  • Tornado31619
    26747 posts Player of the Year
    Ashy wrote: »
    But would Man Utd pass up the opportunity to let City have a free run at Kane and dominate the league for the next 3 years at least?

We need Sancho more than we need Kane, it’s that simple. City could sign anyone and turn them into a superstar, just look at Dias. We just need to match their form and continue to beat them head-to-head.
  • Keano
    19569 posts World Class

We need Sancho more than we need Kane, it’s that simple. City could sign anyone and turn them into a superstar, just look at Dias. We just need to match their form and continue to beat them head-to-head.

This.

Let's say we sign Kane, miss out on Sancho & a cb/dm all to sign him more so because we're scared of City signing him, it could end up like Sanchez. Better we focus on improving ourselves the best we can & if City get him & are unbeatable & win the title, then they were just better than us that season & we have to look at where to improve for the next.
  • Ahmer50x

The last two times we signed a player just because City wanted them was Fred for 50m and Alexis on 500k a week. We need to make moves based on what's right for us rather than just throwing a wrench into City's plans.
  • Pughy30
    29026 posts Player of the Year
    Kane seems like such a typical United signing, you don’t really need to blow that money on a striker but the Glazers will try to ease fan pressure by buying him regardless
  • El_Nino
    7765 posts League Winner
    edited May 17
    Kane is obviously by far and away the better signing right now, no gamble, proven world class PL player.

Sancho is younger and will take time to adapt(most likely) and may never hit the heights you'd hope, but will obviously offer resale value and hopefully quality for years.

If you want to Challenge for the title next year you go get Kane, if you want to think further ahead you go Sancho.

With the position United are in I still see the title next year as unlikely even with Kane, as most United fans have said, spending less on Sancho allowing for a decent chunk to spend on a CB for the future too is the far better option.
  • UM4R
    4542 posts Moderator
    Kane would work if we were in search of the final piece of the puzzle, we still need at least another midfielder and CB

This we need to improve in several areas, so are not at the stage where we can chuck all our budget at one player. Sancho is a risk but long term is better for our club.

With him our front 3 for the next 10 years is sorted

Rash.. Greenwood.. Sancho

Kane would could in for a couple of years, slow down Greenwoods development and is also very injury prone
  • Ashy
    Greenwood would get more starts next season if Kane came in rather than Sancho. The question is... Is Greenwood a good enough right winger
  • Stlducks
    6205 posts Big Money Move
    I don't disagree that United buying multiple players would be a better option but I think people are taking Kane's injuries as a bigger deal than they are. Only 3 United players have more minutes in the league this year and in a comps he would be top 6 for the club in terms of minutes played.

He will have an injury every year but he won't miss a lot of time. Rotate him with Cavani so he's not playing three games in 10 days and he will have even less injuries.
  • Low Ki
    12638 posts Has That Special Something
    Kane's had 12 injuries in the last 3 seasons. Look at his ankles:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/harry-kane/verletzungen/spieler/132098

Would people in the market for a top striker be looking to buy an injury prone Kane who's approaching 30 years old for a Levy asking price knowing Haaland's release clause becomes active next season for much less?

Sancho is the logical choice for our current setup. Kane is a luxury buy.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    14853 posts World Class
    Considering how much levy will ask for Kane, it's just plain dumb for us to overlook getting a RW in sancho. Which is what we need right now more than a ST.

We have cavani. Greenwood and martial currently for that spot. We seriously lack a decent RW. Sancho is far better value for our budget. I'd actually be annoyed if we went for Kane
  • Pxul_
    10567 posts Has That Special Something
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    I'd take Kane over Sancho at our club

I’d take Sancho wayyy before kane and it’s not even close. Player for the next 10 years? Or player for 3 years max.
  • El_Nino
    7765 posts League Winner
    edited May 18
    Pxul_ wrote: »

I’d take Sancho wayyy before kane and it’s not even close. Player for the next 10 years? Or player for 3 years max.

Are you feeling okay? 😂
    Saying Kane has 3 years tops is absolutely ludicrous, the guys 27 going 28, what on earth makes you think he'll fall off aged 30/31? He's likely got 5+ years left at a world class level. I'd bet he'll be better than your current striking options for most of the next decade.
  • Pxul_
    10567 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »

Are you feeling okay? 😂
    Saying Kane has 3 years tops is absolutely ludicrous, the guys 27 going 28, what on earth makes you think he'll fall off aged 30/31? He's likely got 5+ years left at a world class level. I'd bet he'll be better than your current striking options for most of the next decade.

I’m saying he’ll have 3 more years at the top of his game. He’ll decline after 3 with all the injuries he’s had similar to how Rooney declined at a younger age.
  • Low Ki
    12638 posts Has That Special Something

Are you feeling okay? 😂

I’m saying he’ll have 3 more years at the top of his game. He’ll decline after 3 with all the injuries he’s had similar to how Rooney declined at a younger age.

And it was Rooney's ankle injuries that started his decline.
  • El_Nino
    7765 posts League Winner
    edited May 18

Are you feeling okay? 😂

Injuries tend to do that complete opposite of that, assuming it isn't massive ACL injuries. Rooney may have declined because of injuries, but it was likely more that he declined because of how many games he played from a young age, Kane has missed far more games(which is a good thing), played far less than Rooney, he's started his career over 10 years later than Rooney. Now a days players are going for longer and longer, not to mention Rooney was hardly known for being an idol health wise.

Persistent Ankle injuries are a risk for Kane but not that big of one.

How many world class players are currently dropping off at 30? Suarez/Cavani/Modric/Silva/Ramos/Zlatan/Ronaldo/Messi/Lewandowksi/Muller/Benzema, I can keep going, its way more logical to assume Kane keeps going at a world class level for 5+ years.
  • Pughy30
    29026 posts Player of the Year
    You’re being strongly linked with Nuno Mendes from Sporting, he’s only 18 but has been integral in Sporting winning the league and there aren’t any better young LB’s in the world
  • Ahmer50x

Ole giving de Gea a farewell appearance in front of the fans at Old Trafford is sweet.
  • Cyodine
    3104 posts National Call-Up

Ole giving de Gea a farewell appearance in front of the fans at Old Trafford is sweet.

Where's he going?
  • Ahmer50x
    Cyodine wrote: »

Where's he going?

No clue but Luckhurst is the one who reported de Gea starts and he's the one who says its most likely his farewell appearance at the ground.

Pretty logical tbh. Ole has clearly chosen Henderson. Plus, no matter how things pan out for Henderson over the next year or two, De Gea clearly isn't good enough anymore so may as well move him on and see what we have in Henderson for way less money.
  • Ashy
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    You’re being strongly linked with Nuno Mendes from Sporting, he’s only 18 but has been integral in Sporting winning the league and there aren’t any better young LB’s in the world

Why would Mendes go to Man Utd with Shaw there and Telles as back up, unless you are in the wrong thread and meant Man City.

Sporting want about £50m for him, he's the next big thing to come out of Portugal, amazing left back in the making. The guy is amazing on FM too.

Man Utd will be spending their money on a CB, RW and CDM that's about it I think
  • Ahmer50x
    Pughy30 wrote: »

Why would Mendes go to Man Utd with Shaw there and Telles as back up, unless you are in the wrong thread and meant Man City.

Sporting want about £50m for him, he's the next big thing to come out of Portugal, amazing left back in the making. The guy is amazing on FM too.

Man Utd will be spending their money on a CB, RW and CDM that's about it I think

I think you're right about us with possibly a backup RB and GK on the agenda too. Trippier and Heaton linked.

That said Portuguese sources keep linking us to Nuno Mendes so he's not mistaken either. Portuguese sources are usually pretty abysmal though so probably just trying to boost his valuation.
  • Ahmer50x