Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain
    yosef167 wrote: »
    @XxRichiexRichxX your comment did take me to think that this is exactly the time to change the 4231 to 4312 to get the best out of our boys.

first of all the Line up.
    DDG
    AWB CB partnership Telles
    Matic/Mct (both can play the 3rd CB Role in building attack or helping defence.)
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Rashford is half ST half winger
    Greenwood and Martial are the same
    Falcao is exactly No.9
    this will allow us to have a better High press as the lines will be close in addition to alot more movements between the players will happen add to it it can allow VDB and Bruno to get into the box as a threat from behind.
    add to it Pogba can finally have his real Role back as 50 50 who have the freedom of movement to connect between the lines. and no more a defensive role that does lock his abilities.

Cavani hasn’t even played and you’re already writing him off
  • yosef167
    2016 posts Fans' Favourite
    @XxRichiexRichxX your comment did take me to think that this is exactly the time to change the 4231 to 4312 to get the best out of our boys.

DDG
    Matic/Mct (both can play the 3rd CB Role in building attack or helping defence.)
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9
    this will allow us to have a better High press as the lines will be close in addition to alot more movements between the players will happen add to it it can allow VDB and Bruno to get into the box as a threat from behind.
    add to it Pogba can finally have his real Role back as 50 50 who have the freedom of movement to connect between the lines. and no more a defensive role that does lock his abilities.

not writing him off. he can play in 2 strikers formation +he is the man we need right now.
    he can play big part in 4312
    the whole point is that you will have 1 of the two strikers who can take himself to the sides
    its really complicated to write how things can work in this formarion it needs A screen to show it
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    33592 posts National Team Captain

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

LOL at "CB Partnership"

Falcao? assuming you meant Cavani

So yeah, I agree we should consider it. We have the starting personnel for it.

I'd for sure go Matic as the holding though. I like Mctominay but I don't think he's a great holding midfielder which would we need with that formation because ideally the FB's would be pushing up to provide the width, nevermind that Maguire NEEDs the extra cover from a holding midfielder imo, along with Lindelof assuming he remains the starter for the time being, though Bailly and/or Tuanzebe deserve a run to prove themselves.

The toughest part of it would be having to sacrifice one of Martial/Greenwood/Rashford. I've been saying for a while that while I don't view Martial as a ST (won't get into why that's my opinion to avoid massive arguments with a few in here, can PM if you want to discuss), but I do think he'd be PERFECT for a 2 striker formation playing off a natural 9. IMO Martial is more similar to Rashford than he is to Greenwood. So for a two striker formation I'd run basically any pairing for Martial/Rashford with Greenwood/Cavani .

Ultimately something like

DDG
    AWB - Tuanzebe/Bailly - Maguire - Telles
    Matic
    VDB - Pogba
    Bruno
    Martial/Rashford - Greenwood/Cavani

I suppose the options to play ST in that formation would be a good headache to have.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

not writing him off. he can play in 2 strikers formation +he is the man we need right now.
    the whole point is that you will have 1 of the two strikers who can take himself to the sides
    its really complicated to write how things can work in this formarion it needs A screen to show it

Did you intend to write "Falcao" instead of "Cavani"? That's ultimately what he's referring to and I mentioned in my response to you. Can't tell if you genuinely accidentally wrote Falcao or if it intentionally done in comparison to when we signed Falcao.
  • yosef167

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

Did you intend to write "Falcao" instead of "Cavani"? That's ultimately what he's referring to and I mentioned in my response to you. Can't tell if you genuinely accidentally wrote Falcao or if it intentionally done in comparison to when we signed Falcao.

wow i am laugh at myself 🤣🤣
    yea i mean Cavani omg. 😬😬😬😬
    i am in the middle of studying for a 100 hour course so my head is not working anymore sorry for that.
    for the CB partnership i mean any two who will at the end get into the team as a change in this matter

the whole pointt is agreed and i think it deserve ago in a period of time where we struggle to Build up the play
  • XxRichiexRichxX

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

i am in the middle of studying for a 100 hour course so my head is not working anymore sorry for that.
    for the CB partnership i mean any two who will at the end get into the team as a change in this matter

the whole pointt is agreed and i think it deserve ago in a period of time where we struggle to Build up the play

I feel that. I've been absolutely slammed at work this week, by far the busiest 3 days of work I've probably ever had since I started this position a few years ago... all the while trying to write a 25 page paper in between it all that was due last night that I didn't start until Monday because the wife and I are in the middle of buying a new house AND she had a friend in town, and I was banking on this week being quiet at work. Fortunately, I was able to get it all done in time.
  • yosef167

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

I feel that. I've been absolutely slammed at work this week, by far the busiest 3 days of work I've probably ever had since I started this position a few years ago... all the while trying to write a 25 page paper in between it all that was due last night that I didn't start until Monday because the wife and I are in the middle of buying a new house AND she had a friend in town, and I was banking on this week being quiet at work. Fortunately, I was able to get it all done in time.

life is like this and Covid made it harder for all of us
    between work / house responsability /other things.
    i am currently stdying pharmacology (the hardest course for medical students) and i already was drived out my head .
    hope life gets better for everyone.
    just now realised that @Tornado31619 did even blank Falcao sorry for misunderstanding you mate.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited October 22

DDG
    VDB Pogba
    Bruno
    Two of our 4 strikers
    Falcao is exactly No.9

life is like this and Covid made it harder for all of us
    between work / house responsability /other things.
    i am currently stdying pharmacology (the hardest course for medical students) and i already was drived out my head .
    hope life gets better for everyone.
    just now realised that @Tornado31619 did even blank Falcao sorry for misunderstanding you mate.

It's definitely presented it's challenges. Just the timing of everything for me has been the issue with all this business/stress all at the same time ha. I don't mind the adjustments I've had to make for work due to Covid, in the since that I like working remotely ( I work in CyberSecurity). For me it's just more or less going through this process of buying a new house which in itself is very stressful, then preparing to sell our current house, preparing to move, then the normal family responsibilities, all while taking trying to finish up my masters degree which thankfully I'm 2 courses away from completing. And then in the middle of it all my wifes friend visiting and staying with us meaning I was having to watch my kids more than usual while handling all the other stuff hahaha.

It's all good though. I've learned to just roll with the punches and focus on the positives.. and the occasional whiskey helps.

I've just realized I, too an extent, repeated myself and I apologize.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited October 22
    I've been saying for a while that while I don't view Martial as a ST (won't get into why that's my opinion to avoid massive arguments with a few in here, can PM if you want to discuss),

UsBKMSS.jpg

Go for it haha, I've massively reduced the amount I post here, not interested in arguments anymore despite my views staying the same. (And I know you're the same, hence the gif :D )
  • forearms
    5188 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »
    I've been saying for a while that while I don't view Martial as a ST (won't get into why that's my opinion to avoid massive arguments with a few in here, can PM if you want to discuss),

Go for it haha, I've massively reduced the amount I post here, not interested in arguments anymore despite my views staying the same. (And I know you're the same, hence the gif :D )

You and I have had this same argument recently too. Not much going to change anyone's view on this but more time and subsequent results.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    forearms wrote: »

You and I have had this same argument recently too. Not much going to change anyone's view on this but more time and subsequent results.

Not here though which was my point :wink:
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited October 22

UsBKMSS.jpg

giphy.gif
  • XxRichiexRichxX

lol, but why should it really matter where the discussion is had though?
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

Conversations can be of different tones in different places, that's all. I really don't want an argument with you again. I was just saying you don't need to stop saying your opinions because of me, you won't find me arguing against them
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Conversations can be of different tones in different places, that's all. I really don't want an argument with you again. I was just saying you don't need to stop saying your opinions because of me, you won't find me arguing against them

Fair enough
  • Rand0m Hero
    1014 posts Professional
    I think a diamond could very well be the best lineup given the quality of midfielders but it’s pretty clear Ole prefers the width to come from wingers. If AWB was a bit better on the ball I would bet we would see a more compact midfield a few times per year. This is where the missing RW buy during the summer comes into play. Imagine Sancho freelancing on the right with Telles supporting the left. It would’ve allowed AWB to do what he does best and hid most of his weakness while still controlling midfield and being dangerous on the counter. Have I missed a Mason knock or has Ole just strayed from using him on the wing so far this season ?
  • Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain
    I think a diamond could very well be the best lineup given the quality of midfielders but it’s pretty clear Ole prefers the width to come from wingers. If AWB was a bit better on the ball I would bet we would see a more compact midfield a few times per year. This is where the missing RW buy during the summer comes into play. Imagine Sancho freelancing on the right with Telles supporting the left. It would’ve allowed AWB to do what he does best and hid most of his weakness while still controlling midfield and being dangerous on the counter. Have I missed a Mason knock or has Ole just strayed from using him on the wing so far this season ?

I don’t get this obsession with a diamond that some fans have. VDB was never meant to be a regular starter, so he doesn’t have to be accommodated in the XI. Sure, you can rotate him with Bruno and Pogba, but one of them should be on the bench IMO.

5ATB is what currently works against the better sides. Until we figure out what our game actually is, that’s what we should be sticking with.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

I don’t get this obsession with a diamond that some fans have. VDB was never meant to be a regular starter, so he doesn’t have to be accommodated in the XI. Sure, you can rotate him with Bruno and Pogba, but one of them should be on the bench IMO.

5ATB is what currently works against the better sides. Until we figure out what our game actually is, that’s what we should be sticking with.

Doesn't really matter if VDB wasn't brought here to be a starter though. He's proved that he deserves a chance. I'm not sure how what he's shown so far can get completely ignored just because he wasn't intended to be a starter. He's earned a shot.

Also, 5 ATB isn't and shouldn't be a default go to system against "better sides". For example with chelsea, our last several meetings with them we've played and beat them playing a diamond a couple of times, the normal 4231 and only once used a 5 atb against them.
  • Rand0m Hero
    1014 posts Professional

I’m looking at it from the perspective of putting the most effective team on the field. Personally between the choices of having Mata start at right wing or VDB starting as a right center mid I’d rather have Donny’s legs and creativity out there. We essentially have one pure striker in Mason trying to play the wing and two half striker half wingers playing the other two positions. If we are talking the best team United can field I’d rather the two hybrid strikers play together so they can alternate drifting wide and allow our skillful mids to control the game. I don’t have a preference what formation Ole decides on, I’d just like to see the best possible side (my opinion anyways certainly not a fact) get a couple games run out there.
  • Smudge
    4914 posts National Call-Up
    Feeling very proud of Marcus today. I hope he has a good season to go along with it
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Smudge wrote: »
    Feeling very proud of Marcus today. I hope he has a good season to go along with it

Its absolutely incredible what he's doing. He's an inspiration.
  • Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain

Doesn't really matter if VDB wasn't brought here to be a starter though. He's proved that he deserves a chance. I'm not sure how what he's shown so far can get completely ignored just because he wasn't intended to be a starter. He's earned a shot.

Also, 5 ATB isn't and shouldn't be a default go to system against "better sides". For example with chelsea, our last several meetings with them we've played and beat them playing a diamond a couple of times, the normal 4231 and only once used a 5 atb against them.

The Chelsea side that we faced last season was very different.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

The Chelsea side that we faced last season was very different.

Right, I agree with that. I'm just simply pointing out that I don't think it's necessary to default to a 3/5 back just because we are playing a better side is all. And sure while Chelsea have added personnel, they are still playing the same system for the most part, same formation, etc.

Not necessarily saying we shouldn't go 3 back this weekend, just simply arguing against going to it vs every better side.

See no reason really why we couldn't match chelsea in the 4231. I'd just roll VDB on the right maybe. Not sure diamond would be the way to go vs chelsea.
  • yosef167
    as i lack time
    anyone on here watched the U23 game vs everton? or have a highlight?
    pellestri was in the lineup for the game and its interesting to see how the boy did
  • SimenHP
    2860 posts National Call-Up
    So who is ready for a boring MU vs Chelsea match? I juct can't see it being fun with how boring both teams are to watch atm. I know United look better than they did 2 weeks ago, but I still think both teams play boring football.

Chelsea's attack should be the most fun team to watch this season imo, but so far I'm close to falling asleep every time we play. Our defense also su*k.

Manchester United have been playing okay the last week, but even though you won your last two matches I didn't think you played that good. Newcastle played like s**t and PSG have been very bad since losing the CL final which you could clearly see when playing against you. I will also say the only defense as bad, if not worse than ours so far have been MU.

All in all, I can't see this match be anything special. Hope I'm wrong though. It also doesn't suprise me if both teams score from bad defending
  • Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain
    Oh there will be goals, the question is - as you said - how many of them will be due to defensive blunders.
  • Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain
    Heart says 4-3, head says 3-3.
  • WryLucky
    3302 posts National Call-Up
    Heart says 4-3, head says 3-3.

There will be a 3 involved somewhere, that's all I know
  • Keano
    17766 posts World Class
    SimenHP wrote: »
    So who is ready for a boring MU vs Chelsea match? I juct can't see it being fun with how boring both teams are to watch atm. I know United look better than they did 2 weeks ago, but I still think both teams play boring football.

Chelsea's attack should be the most fun team to watch this season imo, but so far I'm close to falling asleep every time we play. Our defense also su*k.

Manchester United have been playing okay the last week, but even though you won your last two matches I didn't think you played that good. Newcastle played like s**t and PSG have been very bad since losing the CL final which you could clearly see when playing against you. I will also say the only defense as bad, if not worse than ours so far have been MU.

All in all, I can't see this match be anything special. Hope I'm wrong though. It also doesn't suprise me if both teams score from bad defending

Got to the bit where you essentially said we've been playing good but heres the reasons why I won't give credit where it's due. Our tactic against psg worked, we outplayed them & it showed. You can dress it up as psg hav ebeen bad, but at the end of the day they are a top european side & we looked the better team, Newcastle took us a while to break down but in the end was a well earned win.

Overall, when you come in & slate us when we play bad, you can atleast give credit when it's due when we play well rather than the "you did do this.... BUUUT I want to discredit you due to this, this & this." The bias is real.