Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    23837 posts Club Captain
    Apollo wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Consensus now seems to be we aren't targeting a midfielder anymore. The goal is a ST and a CB in addition to Sancho. Dembele and Ake most linked recently.

So frustrated that we've switched priorities from an attacking midfielder to striker. We have Ighalo as cover until January, we could sign Grealish/VdB this summer and a striker in the January window. We need cover for Bruno as we've seen on so many occasions so I think Ole's got this one wrong if Ducker is right as expected.

Yeah, we're definitely short of a quality attacking midfielder backup in this squad. Mata is past it and Andreas isn't good enough.

Guess the thinking from Ole is that those two can last a year in case of emergency while Ighalo is gone in January and we just don't have anybody around to do his role when he leaves.

Something like Sancho/Martial/Rashford backed up by Greenwood/Dembele/James long term would be pretty incredible though as a forward line.
  • Ahmer50x
    23837 posts Club Captain
    edited July 14
    Agreed. We have to be targeting someone to rotate with Pogba.

Think Ole's pretty content with Fred as cover for Pogba. For the most part, I am too. Bigger issue is rotating with Bruno.
  • ConGard
    576 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’m thinking maybe Ole thinks for a year we can make do with Sancho covering if Bruno is injured and bringing greenwood back at RW when needed
  • wth22
    11439 posts Has That Special Something

That last sentence is very optimistic, his stock isn't exactly high these days.

Iwobi fetched 40m. He's not too old, England regular, part of the WC semi squad. Will get at least 20m from a mid table side. If not more.
  • El_Nino
    5771 posts Big Money Move
    wth22 wrote: »

That last sentence is very optimistic, his stock isn't exactly high these days.

Iwobi fetched 40m. He's not too old, England regular, part of the WC semi squad. Will get at least 20m from a mid table side. If not more.

Iwobi was 22/23 when Everton bought him, Lingaard is 27, never plays for United and is clearly not going to get better, so a weird comparison.

I honestly think for players like Lingaard you should just be happy to get there wage gone, any transfer fee is a bonus.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    @Apollo proof that tier one journos arent always right
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    edited July 14
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Not true at all as this topic has no relevance to that. No tier 1 journo said about Grealish, it was always tiers 2-3 saying it. And they are saying that the priority has shifted after developments in the squad. Things happen. I don't agree with Ole's decision but things are never set in stone.

You should probably get your facts right before trying to argue a point you're missing a lot of information for.
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    edited July 14

I'm not sure any Journo is "always right"... but tier one journos have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher probability of being right then most of the stuff that you share simply out of the sheer fact that it's something negative towards United and paying zero attention to the source, or in the latest case checking the facts to verify the numbers are correct.

Well said. And no tier 1 journalist has even spoken about a United target yet other than Sancho as he's our number 1 priority. The tier 2-3 sources like Ducker and Whitwell are the ones that have been discussing Ole's plans for the other positions, and have explained the developments as priorities changed over time.
  • ConGard wrote: »
    I’m thinking maybe Ole thinks for a year we can make do with Sancho covering if Bruno is injured and bringing greenwood back at RW when needed
    I agree with this. I think Mason and Dan James are the depth for the front line as Mason can play any of the front 3 positions and James can play either wing. I don’t mind Fred as Pogba depth. For a year I think Sancho could fill in the advanced midfield role Bruno seems to play. I think defense is a bigger issue than the midfield this window.
  • NucksNation
    2188 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m curious if Bournemouth would want to get a CB back to replace Ake plus few £s. So smalling or Jones, they are English so holds better value too.

I would be happy with Ake- maguire with Lindelof/ baily as back up for either one.

Sancho is definitely needed for RW, one spot we lack most.

I don’t think anyone else is gonna take Alexis wages, at this point we should cut him loose and cut our losses than worrying about him. He won’t get minutes with us.

I can see Dalot going to Lazio as replacement for Basta whos 35 now.. ofcourse it’s just my opinion.

• MorroWtje
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Seeing lots of talk that we're in for another CB, am I the only one that thinks we're ok defensively? We're 4th on least conceded in the prem (1 goal more than city, 2 more than sheff utd), and the vast majority of goals we seem to concede are a mistake or momentary lapse. I think fundamentally we're extremely solid, and Maguire/Lindelof with Bailly and Tuanzebe as backup is more than fine.

Would rather see the money spent on a backup for Bruno, a proper CDM and another front 3 option.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    MorroWtje wrote: »
    Seeing lots of talk that we're in for another CB, am I the only one that thinks we're ok defensively? We're 4th on least conceded in the prem (1 goal more than city, 2 more than sheff utd), and the vast majority of goals we seem to concede are a mistake or momentary lapse. I think fundamentally we're extremely solid, and Maguire/Lindelof with Bailly and Tuanzebe as backup is more than fine.

Would rather see the money spent on a backup for Bruno, a proper CDM and another front 3 option.

Well I think its pretty clear you won't be signing a CDM as Matic has renewed. Surely with the players you just mentioned you would think you need another CB? Tuanzebe and Bailly are the most injury prone players I've seen in a long time and Lindelof is good but not amazing. You're going to be playing deep into August and then restarting another full season only 2 weeks or so later. You need another CB.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    33134 posts National Team Captain

I said the same thing the other day. I think getting a younger pure ball winning CDM is arguably more a priority imo than a new CB. Matic has been fantastic and hopefully he can continue his form, but we should be bringing in a younger version of him, whos quicker, sooner than later. Someone like Ndidi would eliminate some of the issues our CB's are facing.

I definitely want a new CB, but I think there's more of a need for a CDM unless Jones and Smalling are for sure goners. Bailly is... well Bailly, obvious injury concern. Tuanzebe I think he's just been very unlucky have had the 3 injuries he's had to be out the length he's been, but I believe he can bounce back. Mengi looks a beast coming through, hopefully we start to see him get some apps.

At the end of the day, I really don't care much which position the club prioritize as both are positions of need imo.
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    edited July 15

I said the same thing the other day. I think getting a younger pure ball winning CDM is arguably more a priority imo than a new CB. Matic has been fantastic and hopefully he can continue his form, but we should be bringing in a younger version of him, whos quicker, sooner than later. Someone like Ndidi would eliminate some of the issues our CB's are facing.

I definitely want a new CB, but I think there's more of a need for a CDM unless Jones and Smalling are for sure goners. Bailly is... well Bailly, obvious injury concern. Tuanzebe I think he's just been very unlucky have had the 3 injuries he's had to be out the length he's been, but I believe he can bounce back. Mengi looks a beast coming through, hopefully we start to see him get some apps.

At the end of the day, I really don't care much which position the club prioritize as both are positions of need imo.

I think we'll end up getting a DM next summer. Have one final year of Matic starting next season then we'll sign someone to take over from him and have Matic in the squad for his experience for the younger players. I've said repeatedly that I'd like the club to sign Rice to be Matic's successor but I get that we have to prioritise in this market and we can't get all the positions we need in this one summer.

As for CB, Smalling is almost certainly gone, its widely reported that we're well into the negotiations with Roma over his fee, Jones is far less certain because we have to find a buyer for him but its clear that we want him gone this summer without a doubt if we can find one. Rojo has also been heavily linked with a move back to Argentina. I'd say its more likely than not that we have 4 CBs at the club next summer (+ Mengi), so given Bailly's long term injury problems and Tuanzebe's injury filled season this year, I get the fact we want a CB for cover. I hope we don't get a starter however because I want Tuanzebe to take that spot next season if he can stay fit. Like you, I have a lot of faith in him. Its just a matter of him staying fit next season.
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain

As we all said at the time, absolutely ridiculous how Romeu got away with that horrendous challenge on Greenwood, should've been a straight red.

We should have Williams at least for the Palace game, that's something.
  • ViVaWhom
    9012 posts League Winner
    are we thinking he is going full strength again? (apart from Shaw)
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

There's a chance Greenwood is out too, Ole said in the quotes above that he has a swollen ankle. From the options available to him, I think he'll go full strength yeah.
  • Wyojasond
    14440 posts Has That Special Something
    I still think you guys will need a big upgrade at CB to take that next step. I’m really curious to see how ManU adapt next year, especially against top teams. You guys have been able to play some amazing counterattacking football against the other top 6 this year, but with the way your attack has been looking I don’t think you’ll be able to do that as much next year.

Now obviously if Pogba and Bruno are at there best, it shouldn’t be as big of an issue, but have an off day like they did against Southampton and your defense could be under a lot more scrutiny stopping top attacks next year. Just my opinion.
  • Ahmer50x
    23837 posts Club Captain
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

For me, Matic needs a rest. So I’d go McTominay + any injury enforced changes.

Look to win it by halftime then rest the key attackers.
  • Apollo
    20100 posts Club Captain
    I still think you guys will need a big upgrade at CB to take that next step. I’m really curious to see how ManU adapt next year, especially against top teams. You guys have been able to play some amazing counterattacking football against the other top 6 this year, but with the way your attack has been looking I don’t think you’ll be able to do that as much next year.

Now obviously if Pogba and Bruno are at there best, it shouldn’t be as big of an issue, but have an off day like they did against Southampton and your defense could be under a lot more scrutiny stopping top attacks next year. Just my opinion.

The majority of us in here have got a lot of faith in Tuanzebe being that big upgrade. He's got such high potential; he just needs a bit of luck with injuries.

You're also forgetting that we'll have a lot better squad depth next season. That will significantly help with individual players having off days plus we'll have had more time for the team to get used to Ole's new system now he's finally got creative players to work with. His tactics and system are drastically different now.
  • Ahmer50x
    23837 posts Club Captain

Hmm...these are aligned and decent sources.

Personally can't see us paying that much though
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    33134 posts National Team Captain

I think we'll end up getting a DM next summer. Have one final year of Matic starting next season then we'll sign someone to take over from him and have Matic in the squad for his experience for the younger players. I've said repeatedly that I'd like the club to sign Rice to be Matic's successor but I get that we have to prioritise in this market and we can't get all the positions we need in this one summer.

As for CB, Smalling is almost certainly gone, its widely reported that we're well into the negotiations with Roma over his fee, Jones is far less certain because we have to find a buyer for him but its clear that we want him gone this summer without a doubt if we can find one. Rojo has also been heavily linked with a move back to Argentina. I'd say its more likely than not that we have 4 CBs at the club next summer (+ Mengi), so given Bailly's long term injury problems and Tuanzebe's injury filled season this year, I get the fact we want a CB for cover. I hope we don't get a starter however because I want Tuanzebe to take that spot next season if he can stay fit. Like you, I have a lot of faith in him. Its just a matter of him staying fit next season.

I think so too, I just think it'd be nice to have someone that he could help groom and rotate effectively with. For as good as Mctominay has been, he's just not great at the holding mid part of the position because he's aggressiveness sees him bomb forward a lot...which isn't much of an issue against some opponents, but it's not balanced when partnering with Fred or Pogba. We've conceded several this season that may have gone differently had Fred and Mctominay both not been caught out because both have that B2B mentality. I said it before the "break" and it still applies now, we are much better defensively with Matic because he's the better ball winner and knows when he should hold vs move up. His form this season has provided a lot of cover for Maguire and Lindelof. Those two just need to clean up silly individual mistakes and we'd be alright back there.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner

So basically if you get CL you'll give 110m and if not you'll wait until next year because you cant afford the full fee?
  • wth22
    11439 posts Has That Special Something

So basically if you get CL you'll give 110m and if not you'll wait until next year because you cant afford the full fee?

We can afford it either way. Finances is never the issue.
  • Tornado31619
    21781 posts Club Captain
    We absolutely can afford the full fee.
  • TakeItSlow
    9360 posts League Winner
    Yes you probably can afford the full 110m now but you wouldn't be getting much else if you spent that and didn't get CL football. Hence why CL is important for this scenario.
  • Tornado31619
    21781 posts Club Captain
    Some people really cannot comprehend how rich we are, can they?

On another note: