The Ligue 1 POTM SBC has temporarily taken down & will return at a later time, updates to follow today PST on this FIFA Direct twitter thread. Forum thread discussing the issue is here.

Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• ComptonLAX94
    849 posts Semi-Pro
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if I've skipped the comments but Shaw deserves soo much credit for his performance on Saturday.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    And all comes from him being shifted back to the wing.

When we were all discussing our options at striker in the summer, it seems like just about everyone were either right about Martial and wrong about Rashford or vice versa. People either claimed that both would be options at striker (of which I was one of them) or neither would be as they should both be on the wing (I think you were in that group iirc). Now it's pretty clear that Martial is a viable option at striker and Rashford needs to be on the wing, I think everyone is now in agreement on that.
  • LFC Simon 98
    18683 posts World Class
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Seems unfair that a fan being racist usually means they lose their job, but Suarez is making millions playing for Barcelona.

Wow. Never seen a Liverpool fan say a bad word about Luis re that incident. Fair play to you.

Anyone with a brain knows Suarez was wrong there. It’s not even debatable. The whole squad was at fault for wearing those stupid shirts backing Suarez aswell.

Whole thing was handled horribly
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    32474 posts National Team Captain
    Apollo wrote: »

When we were all discussing our options at striker in the summer, it seems like just about everyone were either right about Martial and wrong about Rashford or vice versa. People either claimed that both would be options at striker (of which I was one of them) or neither would be as they should both be on the wing (I think you were in that group iirc). Now it's pretty clear that Martial is a viable option at striker and Rashford needs to be on the wing, I think everyone is now in agreement on that.

I’ve always said both are wingers. Martial is deffo the better ST of the two imo so it works currently, but I’ll be honest, if we are going to continue running a solo striker system, I do think there are a lot better options at ST than Martial. I do think Greenwood is capable of comfortably cementing the ST position in the coming seasons. I’d love to see a 2 ST formation with Martial and Greenwood at ST
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    edited December 2019

I’ve always said both are wingers. Martial is deffo the better ST of the two imo so it works currently, but I’ll be honest, if we are going to continue running a solo striker system, I do think there are a lot better options at ST than Martial. I do think Greenwood is capable of comfortably cementing the ST position in the coming seasons. I’d love to see a 2 ST formation with Martial and Greenwood at ST

Martial is Ole's striker. He moved him to striker in the summer out of choice, not necessity. We absolutely need to get him some support/backup, but he's definitely a good, viable option at striker, which a lot of people in here didn't think he'd be back in the summer. Greenwood is going to be a great striker too, it's great that we'll have options there over the coming years.

No one's right about everything, some were wrong about Rashford's ability to play striker (including me), and some were wrong about Martial.
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    Martial will never be a 20 league goal a season man.

Haahaaland would be unreal for you.

I mean he'd be unreal for anyone, he's actually a generational talent. 19 years old, 6ft 4, electric speed, instinctive finishing on both feet, top class movement. He's one of a kind.
  • Kellnerr
    2995 posts National Call-Up
    I've always critizised Rashford, but props to him for actually adding to his goal tally this season - many clutch goals aswell. Still needs to improve on his simple finishing though, missing way too many sitters still.

Seems unfair that a fan being racist usually means they lose their job, but Suarez is making millions playing for Barcelona.

Wow. Never seen a Liverpool fan say a bad word about Luis re that incident. Fair play to you.

Anyone with a brain knows Suarez was wrong there. It’s not even debatable. The whole squad was at fault for wearing those stupid shirts backing Suarez aswell.

Let's be honest - just because it was Suarez. If it was Flanagan he simply would have been suspended and no one would have given a **** about it :joy:
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    edited December 2019
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

I mean he'd be unreal for anyone, he's actually a generational talent. 19 years old, 6ft 4, electric speed, instinctive finishing on both feet, top class movement. He's one of a kind.

Martial has 4 goals and 3 assists in 9 starts this season leading the line in the PL. He's doing a good job at striker.

I massively want the club to sign Haaland, but that doesn't take away the fact that Martial is an option at striker. He's proving that in nearly every game hes played this season.
  • Pxul_
    8646 posts League Winner

• XxRichiexRichxX
    32474 posts National Team Captain
    edited December 2019

Martial is Ole's striker. He moved him to striker in the summer out of choice, not necessity. We absolutely need to get him some support/backup, but he's definitely a good, viable option at striker, which a lot of people in here didn't think he'd be back in the summer. Greenwood is going to be a great striker too, it's great that we'll have options there over the coming years.

No one's right about everything, some were wrong about Rashford's ability to play striker (including me), and some were wrong about Martial.

I’m not denying that he’s currently “Ole’s ST”, and I do think some of the decision was out of necessity with him knowing that we weren’t going to be able to bring in a replacement for Lukaku in time. I do believe his public comments about him being happy with our current striker options was ultimately him trying to remain positive about the situation, but ultimately because he’s knew a replacement wasn’t happening. As good as Martial’s been at ST, I just simply think there are plenty of better options out there, especially for a single ST formation. That’s why I can genuinely see someone else coming in and taking over the role in the coming years whether that’s Greenwood or someone being brought in. Greenwood is easily our best number 9 Imho and a good run of games at ST and a little more experience will show that.

If we do somehow sign Haaland, he EASILY slots in at ST over Martial imho. I think if that happens the way to fit them all into the line up is a 2 ST formation or James getting “demoted” to impact sub/rotation for Rashford and Martial
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    edited December 2019

I’m not denying that he’s currently “Ole’s ST”, and I do think some of the decision was out of necessity with him knowing that we weren’t going to be able to bring in a replacement for Lukaku in time. I do believe his public comments about him being happy with our current striker options was ultimately him trying to remain positive about the situation, but ultimately because he’s knew a replacement wasn’t happening. As good as Martial’s been at ST, I just simply think there are plenty of better options out there, especially for a single ST formation. That’s why I can genuinely see someone else coming in and taking over the role in the coming years whether that’s Greenwood or someone being brought in. Greenwood is easily our best number 9 Imho and a good run of games at ST and a little more experience will show that.

If we do somehow sign Haaland, he EASILY slots in at ST over Martial imho. I think if that happens the way to fit them all into the line up is a 2 ST formation or James getting “demoted” to impact sub/rotation for Rashford and Martial

I'm not claiming he wouldn't. I'm saying Martial is a viable option at striker, of which we need more than one, which a lot of people including yourself said he wouldn't be in the summer. Martial/Haaland/Greenwood would be a great set of options at striker.
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner

Martial has 4 goals and 3 assists in 9 starts this season leading the line in the PL. He's doing a good job at striker.

I massively want the club to sign Haaland, but that doesn't take away the fact that Martial is an option at striker. He's proving that in nearly every game hes played this season.

Yeah he's a viable option for sure. I just don't think he'll ever be a top level striker, he's 24 now and has never really shown it over a sustained period.. Haaland is where its at.
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    I think Martial's been great at striker but his injuries mean he can't be trusted.

Go get Haaland.
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019

Top 3 choices so far:

1. Rashford
    2. McTominay
    3. AWB

Honorable mention for DJ as 4th
  • Retro_G
    31207 posts National Team Captain
    1. McT
    2. Rashford
    3. AWB
  • Southgatology
    1154 posts Professional
    Retro_G wrote: »
    1. McT
    2. Rashford
    3. AWB

My three too. I knew Rashford would step up this year but didn’t see McTominay being this good.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    14001 posts Has That Special Something
    1. McT
    2. Rashford
    3. AWB

This for me, Mcsauce has been outstanding
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2019
    1. Pen Alties
    2. Marcus Rashford
    3. Scott McTominay
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner
    Has McMayo been good or is he just good because of the severely poor level of your midfield? I see nothing in him.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    Has McMayo been good or is he just good because of the severely poor level of your midfield? I see nothing in him.

He's been quality.
  • Retro_G
    31207 posts National Team Captain

Not our fault that your blind!
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner

I don't see a top 4 midfielder in him, but I guess you're below that level atm so it makes sense.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class

He said yesterday that he'd rather be in a relegation battle than the top 4 battle because it's something different, I'm not surprised he doesn't rate McTominay with comments like that.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class

I don't see a top 4 midfielder in him, but I guess you're below that level atm so it makes sense.

"Don't see a top 4 midfielder"
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner

That is absolutely irrelevant considering you play a counter attacking style. The bloke is distinctly average, doesn't even get into our midfield. Doesn't get close to Liverpool, City, Chelsea or Leicesters midfield. That to me isn't a top 4 level midfielder.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class

That is absolutely irrelevant considering you play a counter attacking style. The bloke is distinctly average, doesn't even get into our midfield. Doesn't get close to Liverpool, City, Chelsea or Leicesters midfield. That to me isn't a top 4 level midfielder.

McTominay walks into your midfield.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class

@El_Nino
  • Ahmer50x
    20851 posts Club Captain
    McT doesn’t get into the Liverpool or Leicester teams. Likewise Chelsea.

I think he’d probably do better than Rodri has this far for City, though Rodri is still adapting.

He’s a top 6 mid to be sure, idk about 4.
  • Apollo
    17384 posts World Class
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    McT doesn’t get into the Liverpool or Leicester teams. Likewise Chelsea.

I think he’d probably do better than Rodri has this far for City, though Rodri is still adapting.

He’s a top 6 mid to be sure, idk about 4.

He'd get into their squads, he's a top 4 squad player currently, top 6 starter imo.
  • TakeItSlow
    8442 posts League Winner

McTominay walks into your midfield.

Nope.

He's a backup midfielder at best. Like Ahmer said, top 6 mid at best. Top 4 backup mid.
This discussion has been closed.