The Ligue 1 POTM SBC has temporarily taken down & will return at a later time, updates to follow today PST on this FIFA Direct twitter thread. Forum thread discussing the issue is here.

Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Pietu
    4627 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Not going to lie, I’m pretty happy your sticking with Ole and giving him money, I think it’ll end badly.

As a rival, I am a bit scared of what could come. They have the unity, that is the most important thing. They will walk through walls for Ole and that's what you wanna from your team.

If Ole gets proper backing and players who love him then they will give any team a hard time for the 90 minutes.

The unity is there and that's a start of great teams, now it's up to the owners and Woodward to see if they back him and to Ole to see if he is good for the long run but the start is there.
  • Southgatology
    1154 posts Professional

Can’t be worse than Jones!! 😆 he’s been a revelation in Italy but it’s a whole different level to PL football
  • Apollo
    17336 posts World Class
    edited December 2019

Be back for the Everton game onwards then please. Given he's back in training that seems plausible?
  • Retro_G
    31179 posts National Team Captain
    edited December 2019
    Still don't think he's the right man to move us forward.

Ole needs start winning against the teams we're expected to beat. I knew the players would give everything against Spurs, will be the same against City. The real test is the run of games after that, against Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. We should win all of them games.
  • Apollo
    17336 posts World Class
    Man utd wrote:
    Anthony Martial should be fit enough to play at least a part in Saturday’s Manchester derby, according to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The 24-year-old missed Wednesday’s win over Tottenham Hotspur after picking up an injury during last Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Aston Villa, but the boss says he could feature at the Etihad Stadium, even if it’s initially as a substitute.

“We hope to have Anthony, definitely, for part of the game. I am not sure he is able to start,” said Ole.

Some good news there about Martial :relieved:
  • El_Nino
    4132 posts National Call-Up
    Pietu wrote: »
    Not going to lie, I’m pretty happy your sticking with Ole and giving him money, I think it’ll end badly.

As a rival, I am a bit scared of what could come. They have the unity, that is the most important thing. They will walk through walls for Ole and that's what you wanna from your team.

If Ole gets proper backing and players who love him then they will give any team a hard time for the 90 minutes.

The unity is there and that's a start of great teams, now it's up to the owners and Woodward to see if they back him and to Ole to see if he is good for the long run but the start is there.

I don’t personally believe it’ll last, I think results won’t pick up and after another year of being a top 6 team at best he’ll lose the team. I simply don’t think he’s quite good enough, players will start to think that too sooner or later.

Ofc I could be completely wrong and I understand 100% why United fans get behind him, if Frank was in Ole’s position I’d still back Frank too.
  • Pietu
    4627 posts National Call-Up
    Pietu wrote: »

I don’t personally believe it’ll last, I think results won’t pick up and after another year of being a top 6 team at best he’ll lose the team. I simply don’t think he’s quite good enough, players will start to think that too sooner or later.

Ofc I could be completely wrong and I understand 100% why United fans get behind him, if Frank was in Ole’s position I’d still back Frank too.

I don't know if it will last but if it will and he has that unity he has now, it has the potential to be scary.
  • Kman
    3059 posts National Call-Up
    Happy to sell Pogba and revamp our midfield
  • Retro_G
    31179 posts National Team Captain
    Kman wrote: »
    Happy to sell Pogba and revamp our midfield

If Fred, McT could put in performances like they did against Spurs regularly, he wouldn't even be missed that much. Hope Pogba is played in the hole when he comes back, or Ole goes back to a 4-3-3.
  • Keano
    14855 posts Has That Special Something

Can’t be worse than Jones!! 😆 he’s been a revelation in Italy but it’s a whole different level to PL football

We all know a bit of Confidence can revitalize a player... - Chris & Mike Smalling as examples ;) But if Roma try to buy him for a reasonable price, i'd not be saying no (purely as we have enough cbs & Jones seems like he'll never leave).

Matic can go... for 15m, 10m, 5m... i don't care just want him gone.

• Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2019

In the Q&A, it is clarified that "Haaland is a clear target. Solskjaer has known him since he was 8" and that the two midfielders are "a creator and a holder"

Also says Gomes' contract talks have stalled and "game-time is a factor"

Personally, I think we need those things and then an extra rotational midfielder once Pogba goes...Haaland, Sancho, Maddison, McGinn, and Rice would be the career mode dream signings.
  • Keano
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

In the Q&A, it is clarified that "Haaland is a clear target. Solskjaer has known him since he was 8" and that the two midfielders are "a creator and a holder"

Personally, I think we need those things and then an extra rotational midfielder once Pogba goes...Haaland, Sancho, Maddison, McGinn, and Rice would be the career mode dream signings.

Striker for depth/to help & fight for the position
    creative midfielder - nobody currently fits the role for what we require, everyone is a few boxes ticked, but not all.
    holding midfielder - replacement for Matic who's done.
  • Kman
    3059 posts National Call-Up
    I have a feeling we’ll sign Maddison doesn’t look like we are going away from the current formation anytime soon..as to who the holding mid could be, who knows but those 2 signings and a potential Striker will massively improve us. If our attacking players could get some consistent service we’d be far more dangerous
  • Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain
    Keano wrote: »

creative midfielder - nobody currently fits the role for what we require, everyone is a few boxes ticked, but not all.

At this point, I think Haaland would walk into the starting 11 just because Martial can't stay fit.
  • Keano
    Keano wrote: »

At this point, I think Haaland would walk into the starting 11 just because Martial can't stay fit.

Oh yeah but I'm talking in general, if Haaland isn't available & we are cetain we need a striker, no point waiting when top 4 could rest on if we make 1-2 signings this window.
  • UM4R
    4175 posts Moderator

Rice? he so average, much better-holding mid's out there + he's not better than McT

need a new attacking mid, and someone alongside McT who can dictate play and has technique. Along the lines of alonso/carrick

regardless of who'se in charge by the end of the summer window, squad should be something like

GK: De Gea, Romero, Third Choice (potentially rid of romero and Henderson as our no 2)
    RB: AWB, Dalot
    CB's: Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe , Rojo/new cb?? (smalling, jones sold, bailly potentially gone as well)
    LB: Shaw , Williams - young gone, if shaw doesn't impress rest of season then new lb
    CM's: McT , Fred, New Dm, New Cm, Garner (pogba, matic gone)
    RW: New RW, James
    LW: Rash/James/Martial
    CAM: New Cam (Havertz or Maddison) , Gomes (mata gone, also lingaard but realistically he will still be there)
    ST: Martial, New St, Greenwood

Others: Perriera keep can play in several positions, youngsters to fill in when needed

• Sellish
    9803 posts League Winner
    I would love to see Matic to Tottenham. Let him reunite with his master.
  • Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain
    Sellish wrote: »

Idk why I've got a gut feeling that a Eriksen/Matic swap may happen
  • Cyodine
    1977 posts Fans' Favourite

Would Eriksen get a large sign on bonus in a swap?
  • Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain
    Cyodine wrote: »

He'd certainly double his wages and comfortably fit into our wage structure.
  • UM4R
    4175 posts Moderator

Eriksen would certainly be a good fit, a creative player who also puts in a shift. Potentially use him as a no 8 alongside McT and Pogba in front. if we sticking with the 4231
  • Keano
    UM4R wrote: »

Rice? he so average, much better-holding mid's out there + he's not better than McT

need a new attacking mid, and someone alongside McT who can dictate play and has technique. Along the lines of alonso/carrick

regardless of who'se in charge by the end of the summer window, squad should be something like

GK: De Gea, Romero, Third Choice (potentially rid of romero and Henderson as our no 2)
    RB: AWB, Dalot
    CB's: Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe , Rojo/new cb?? (smalling, jones sold, bailly potentially gone as well)
    LB: Shaw , Williams - young gone, if shaw doesn't impress rest of season then new lb
    CM's: McT , Fred, New Dm, New Cm, Garner (pogba, matic gone)
    RW: New RW, James
    LW: Rash/James/Martial
    CAM: New Cam (Havertz or Maddison) , Gomes (mata gone, also lingaard but realistically he will still be there)
    ST: Martial, New St, Greenwood

Others: Perriera keep can play in several positions, youngsters to fill in when needed

Agreed on Rice, but I still think he would be a good signing, but I also believe that for the money we'd pay it's a no from me atleast.

henderson as #2 would be a waste of a top keeper, he's smashing it with Sheffield United for their position etc, so it's either... rid Romero, or accept he's staying & get rid of Joel Pereira who never seems like he'll actually be playing for us. Agreed on the new LB part, Shaw has this next 6 months to impress/not get injured, else i'd sack him off as i'm sick of the "he could still turn into something great" "yeah but he's 38 now"
    Need a new Rw, or a Rw at all (since James is a LW'er first & foremost), new holding & creative mid needed & promote youth as well, we need a proper #10, expect to keep lingard so instead just need the first 11 cam/10.
    Then a striker to fight Martial & Greenwood, whilst also being fit when Martial keps his little injuries etc & Greenwood develops more.
  • Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain

Eriksen would certainly be a good fit, a creative player who also puts in a shift. Potentially use him as a no 8 alongside McT and Pogba in front. if we sticking with the 4231

I think Eriksen would come in at 10 and personally he's not my favorite signing at all.

Think he's on the decline and will be a short term answer at best but he's still levels better than Lingard/Andreas/Mata :joy:
  • SDoofus
    6430 posts Big Money Move

I think Eriksen would come in at 10 and personally he's not my favorite signing at all.

Think he's on the decline and will be a short term answer at best but he's still levels better than Lingard/Andreas/Mata :joy:

Eriksen is only 27. He's in his prime years. I've seen a lot of talk about his supposed decline, but last season he scored 8 and assisted 12, the season before, he scored 10 and assisted 10.

I am not seeing much of a decline there. This season's under-performance can be blamed on a few things other than his actual ability.
  • UM4R
    4175 posts Moderator

wouldn't be my first choice would prefer a younger option (Havertz ideally), but the squad is lacking experience , which it desperately needs. Need to find a balance between our young players and having established players not named (mata. young, matic :lol: )

@Keano and yeah Henderson will be a tough one, has shown all the makings of a good GK. The issue is De Gea is only 29 so it's a long wait, so its either bring him back as no 2 for now. Or send him out on loan.

However, if he does go out on loan, would like it to be a club in Europe just to see how he would cope with step up in quality

If De Gea hadn't signed a new contract then next season i would've had Henderson first choice, J.Periera as backup.

Both are clearly talented, just unfortunate for Periera his loan didnt work out last season.
  • Apollo
    17336 posts World Class
    Maddison is my first choice at 10 but wouldn't be too disappointed with Eriksen at all if we got him
  • Ahmer50x
    20800 posts Club Captain
    SDoofus wrote: »

Eriksen is only 27. He's in his prime years. I've seen a lot of talk about his supposed decline, but last season he scored 8 and assisted 12, the season before, he scored 10 and assisted 10.

I am not seeing much of a decline there. This season's under-performance can be blamed on a few things other than his actual ability.

He's got a lot of miles on his legs since he started playing regularly quite young a little like Rooney.

Maybe I'm just mentally scarred by January signings from North London though :lol:
  • wth22
    10842 posts Has That Special Something
    I don't think Spurs would actually be interested in Matic? Seems like lazy baseless journalism like Willian to us. They have Ndombele, Lo Celso, Wanyama, Sissoko, Dier for the 2 positions behind the front 4 already.
  • Keano
    The number 10 thing is like the james thing at rw for me, having a proper winger on the right has changed our play drastically, a number 10 would also do the same for the better, so dont mind aslong as theyre good enough who it is.