• Low Ki
    11859 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    wth22 wrote: »
    Lukaku: 9 G+A in 1213 mins
    Martial: 8 G+A in 705 mins

If you were still wondering why Ole binned Lukaku, now you know.

EDIT: Also vs Rashford...

It's paying off now but it was still a massive risk to go into a season with just Martial and Rashford, who were both young and relatively unproven, while Lukaku was further along in his development and a proven PL goalscorer - having even scored 25 in a season. Even if we didn't bin him I'd probably still want to start Martial and Rashford but it would've been good to have a backup option in case of injury or loss of form (as we saw how poor we were when Martial was out), and that's why I say selling him may not have been the worst decision but not buying a replacement was.

That's a pretty awful comparison considering both players situations.

Rashford, been at United for years.

Lukaku, just moved to a brand new league, brand new team, different styles etc. Also in the CL compared to Rashford who's playing against farmers in the EL.

Lukaku is doing what he was purchased to do, score goals. 9 goals in 988 league minutes for Inter. He's always been an oath, even when you signed him. But he's a goal scorer, and to sell him and not replace was very silly.

And yet somehow we’ve scored the same number of goals as your “world class” front 3

It's all Xhakas fault.
  • SDoofus
    6085 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 15

Probably leads in unsuccessful ones too ;)
  • Keano
    14224 posts Has That Special Something
    SDoofus wrote: »

Probably leads in unsuccessful ones too ;)

Wheres the stats for that then? :trollface: otherwise he has 100% tackling accuracy.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13746 posts Has That Special Something
    So what's everyone's thought on this Erling Haaland then? The lad is on fire right now. Looks the real deal I must say...
  • Apollo
    16243 posts World Class
    So what's everyone's thought on this Erling Haaland then? The lad is on fire right now. Looks the real deal I must say...

It's a tricky situation imo because while he'd be a quality signing in itself, it would then make things tricky in the squad. Martial is our recognised number 9 now, would we be able to give both of them enough game time to be happy? Probably not. Plus if we sign a striker for the long term like Haaland, what happens to Greenwood? That's why signing a short term stop-gap striker as backup was being considered until Greenwood was properly ready to take over.

At the end of the day, Haaland looks a serious talent and if we signed him I wouldn't be disappointed ofc, but there are definitely questions to be answered
  • UM4R
    4040 posts Moderator

we all know he's a good defender so stats are not surprising, but he does need to massively improve the attacking side of his game. Today you need full-back who can defend and attack, only defensive fullbacks were a thing of the 90's

In more important news Napoli is a madhouse right now, we need to take advantage and go all-in for Fabian, would be perfect for us
  • arsenalap
    6091 posts Big Money Move
    UM4R wrote: »

we all know he's a good defender so stats are not surprising, but he does need to massively improve the attacking side of his game. Today you need full-back who can defend and attack, only defensive fullbacks were a thing of the 90's

In more important news Napoli is a madhouse right now, we need to take advantage and go all-in for Fabian, would be perfect for us

Fabian is perfect for any team. Madrid and Barca are fighting for him apparently.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13746 posts Has That Special Something
    Apollo wrote: »

It's a tricky situation imo because while he'd be a quality signing in itself, it would then make things tricky in the squad. Martial is our recognised number 9 now, would we be able to give both of them enough game time to be happy? Probably not. Plus if we sign a striker for the long term like Haaland, what happens to Greenwood? That's why signing a short term stop-gap striker as backup was being considered until Greenwood was properly ready to take over.

At the end of the day, Haaland looks a serious talent and if we signed him I wouldn't be disappointed ofc, but there are definitely questions to be answered

Yeah that was my concerns also, but apparently we're seriously considering him. So not sure what Ole has in mind. We definitely need another striker, but is he the answer? I'm not aire either.
  • El_Nino
    3932 posts National Call-Up

Yeah that was my concerns also, but apparently we're seriously considering him. So not sure what Ole has in mind. We definitely need another striker, but is he the answer? I'm not aire either.

Think Apollo hit the nail on the head, would be difficult to keep both him and Martial happy, along with stifling Greenwood’s progress, you’d be better off going for an older striker, who’s a decent level but not ridiculous, if only you had Javier Hernandez still 😂
  • TakeItSlow
    7970 posts League Winner
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    wth22 wrote: »
    Lukaku: 9 G+A in 1213 mins
    Martial: 8 G+A in 705 mins

If you were still wondering why Ole binned Lukaku, now you know.

EDIT: Also vs Rashford...

It's paying off now but it was still a massive risk to go into a season with just Martial and Rashford, who were both young and relatively unproven, while Lukaku was further along in his development and a proven PL goalscorer - having even scored 25 in a season. Even if we didn't bin him I'd probably still want to start Martial and Rashford but it would've been good to have a backup option in case of injury or loss of form (as we saw how poor we were when Martial was out), and that's why I say selling him may not have been the worst decision but not buying a replacement was.

That's a pretty awful comparison considering both players situations.

Rashford, been at United for years.

Lukaku, just moved to a brand new league, brand new team, different styles etc. Also in the CL compared to Rashford who's playing against farmers in the EL.

Lukaku is doing what he was purchased to do, score goals. 9 goals in 988 league minutes for Inter. He's always been an oath, even when you signed him. But he's a goal scorer, and to sell him and not replace was very silly.

And yet somehow we’ve scored the same number of goals as your “world class” front 3

Dude, what is your problem? @Ahmer50x not once did I mention Arsenal or Arsenal players. You don't alf bring it on yourself, was a good discussion but you just decide to pipe up for no real reason.
  • Ahmer50x
    19928 posts World Class
    I can’t see us going for Haland at the end of the day. Still think it’ll be Mandzukic.
  • Apollo
    16243 posts World Class

Q: Do United need to sign a STARTING defensive midfielder if McT keeps up his form?

I say no. We need depth behind him (Matic is finished) but I think if this continues spending 60-80m on someone like Rice/Ndidi/etc is probably unnecessary.

No, not if he continues like this. Without doubt we need depth but if he keeps up his form then I'm happy with him starting. Can use the saved money on the other positions we do need starters in.
  • UM4R
    4040 posts Moderator

Q: Do United need to sign a STARTING defensive midfielder if McT keeps up his form?

I say no. We need depth behind him (Matic is finished) but I think if this continues spending 60-80m on someone like Rice/Ndidi/etc is probably unnecessary.

No, not if he continues like this. Without doubt we need depth but if he keeps up his form then I'm happy with him starting. Can use the saved money on the other positions we do need starters in.

at this rate i wouldn't unless we get someone who is a massive upgrade, if it's just for someone like rice or longstaff then no thanks. Still need to see how he performs against the very best though, and for that, we need to get in Champions league, see how he adjust to a different way of playing/football.

But we do need to put someone with more technique/ passing ability alongside him like an alonso, and then push Pogba forward to no 10
  • Ahmer50x
    19928 posts World Class

That’d be a baller move if it came off (it won’t)
  • wth22
    10511 posts Has That Special Something

Yes, but to partner him once Pogba leaves/as the 3rd mid if Pogba stays. No chance McT shouldn't be starting every game possible.
  • Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner

Wouldn't mind a Ndidi next to McTominay with a 100% creative #10.
  • Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner
    edited November 15
    I know that the amount who cares is zero but Lindelöf starts tonight when Sweden face Romania.
    Post edited by Sellish on
  • Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner
    Abraham's achievements/iconic moments:
    * Matched Rashford's league goal tally
    * 2 England sub apps

Rashford's achievements/iconic moments:
    * 4 trophies
    * scored on all his debuts
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * 2 major tournaments by 20
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

• El_Nino
    3932 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 15
    Sellish wrote: »
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

If @finsfan85 randomly for no reason did an equivalent of this you’d be screaming obsessed at him

• Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

If @finsfan85 randomly for no reason did an equivalent of this you’d be screaming obsessed at him

Mainly because I have barely stepped a foot in the Chelsea thread and more or less never bring up Chelsea in here.

This comparison does mather because Abraham his hyped whilst Rashford is critized.
  • Apollo
    16243 posts World Class
    edited November 15
    El_Nino wrote: »
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

If finsfan85 randomly for no reason did an equivalent of this you’d be screaming obsessed at him

I don't agree with Sellish's post because Rashford is a left winger now and shouldn't be compared with Abraham, I've said in other chats that I wish people would stop making that comparison, but the difference between what Sellish did and what Finsfan does is Finsfan makes post after post after post trying to bait United fans and talking **** about the club. He does it most days. Sellish made one post doing it.
  • Tornado31619
    17863 posts World Class
    edited November 15
    Yeah I'm sorry, but that post is a ****take and exactly the kind of **** we criticise Finsfan for. Abraham's been a first team player for three months FFS.
  • Apollo
    16243 posts World Class
    Yeah I'm sorry, but that post is a pisstake and exactly the kind of **** we criticise Finsfan for. Abraham's been a first team player for three months FFS.

No one is saying otherwise. But Finsfan isn't called obsessed because of one post. He's made dozens of them baiting United fans. That's why he's obsessed. Sellish made one post like that (and was wrong for it, but there's a massive difference between what he did and Finsfan does).
  • Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner
    edited November 15
    Yeah I'm sorry, but that post is a ****take and exactly the kind of **** we criticise Finsfan for. Abraham's been a first team player for three months FFS.

Well, Abraham have been a first team player for Chelsea for three months.
    It's not like he started to exist 3 months ago.

I'm not saying Rashford is the better player but Rashford have achieved so much more.
    But still Rashford is the one getting critized constantly whilst Abraham have the more easy route.
    Abraham is doing great this season, no doubt. But I still believe this shows how more difficult Rashford got it compared to other players.
    After all, Rashford and Abraham both are the same age, english and play in big clubs in the PL.

If I would have post this so I could rile up some Chelsea fans, I would have posted it in the Chelsea thread.
    This was more about Rashford then Abraham.
  • finsfan85
    12910 posts Has That Special Something
    edited November 15
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

You could’ve at least posted the tweet you stole that post from. The tweet only got 7 likes. Should’ve been enough for you to know it wasn’t worthy of posting.

• Sellish
    9516 posts League Winner
    edited November 15
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

You could’ve at least posted the tweet you stole that post from. The tweet only got 7 likes. Should’ve been enough for you to know it wasn’t worthy of posting.

Saw it on Instagram, not Twitter.
    Instagram text doesn't show here so I copied it.
    It also had a picture of Rashford holding a trophy instead of that awful gif of him. So I guess that maybe would have been post worthy.
    The amount of likes doesn't really change the facts now does it?

I love how you took the time to find a tweet with the same text.
    It took more work for you to find something you thought I copied then for me to actually copy and post that.
  • finsfan85
    12910 posts Has That Special Something
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    * 2 England sub apps

* 4 trophies
    * 50+ goals for Utd
    * Psg goal
    * Chelsea freekick
    * 36 Englands caps

Saw it on Instagram, not Twitter.
    Instagram text doesn't show here so I copied it.
    It also had a picture of Rashford holding a trophy instead of that awful gif of him. So I guess that maybe would have been post worthy.
    The amount of likes doesn't really change the facts now does it?

I love how you took the time to find a tweet with the same text.
    It took more work for you to find something you thought I copied then for me to actually copy and post that.

Only had to search for “Chelsea freekick”. The misspelling made it very easy to find the tweet. Didn’t take me long at all.