• arsenalap
    6093 posts Big Money Move
    Alan Shearer at the age of 22

Apps: 118
    Goals: 23

Marcus Rashford at the age of 21

Apps: 120
    Goals: 31

People seem to forget how talented he is just because of a few bad games.

Nicholas Bendtner at the age of 21

Apps: 81
    Goals: 20

Shearer was playing in a southampton side battling for relegation and was their POTY.

Bendtner is a much better comparison seeing as they also both played on a wing a lot. :*
  • finsfan85
    12925 posts Has That Special Something
    Just when you think you’ve seen it all in here, someone compares Rashford to Shearer.
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain
    Rashy’s form is picking up after a down few months. He’ll silence the haters soon enough
  • Keano
    14236 posts Has That Special Something
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Just when you think you’ve seen it all in here, someone compares Rashford to Shearer.

Its not a direct comparison, its a comparison to say to those people saying rashford is awful and not good enough etc, its showing that he’s still young and shearer, or any other striker he has done as well as at this time of his career.

Anyone who cant see the comparison for what it is is either trolling or dumb.
  • finsfan85
    Keano wrote: »

Its not a direct comparison, its a comparison to say to those people saying rashford is awful and not good enough etc, its showing that he’s still young and shearer, or any other striker he has done as well as at this time of his career.

That seems about as direct a comparison as it can get.
  • arsenalap
    edited October 23

I know what you're saying with the comparison, shearer did worse but went on to smash it, but it's a terrible comparison imo.

Shearer was playing for the equivalent of a Southampton side at the moment. Near the bottom of the league.. and he was their best player.

Rashford players for a much better side with better supply.

Theres no real comparison to be made there tbh, the situations are too different. Honestly Bendtner is a very good comparison. Both play/played for similar level teams and both were on the wing until 21 years old at least.

I dont personally rate Rashford massively but I agree people forget how young he is, still a long way to go in his career. Plenty of players haven't done what he has by 21.
  • Keano
    arsenalap wrote: »

I know what you're saying with the comparison, shearer did worse but went on to smash it, but it's a terrible comparison imo.

Shearer was playing for the equivalent of a Southampton side at the moment. Near the bottom of the league.. and he was their best player.

Rashford players for a much better side with better supply.

Theres no real comparison to be made there tbh, the situations are too different. Honestly Bendtner is a very good comparison. Both play/played for similar level teams and both were on the wing until 21 years old at least.

I dont personally rate Rashford massively but I agree people forget how young he is, still a long way to go in his career. Plenty of players haven't done what he has by 21.

Oh no im not saying the comparison is a good one, totally different scenarios, but s a general comparison to say that at such and such age the top goalscorer in prem history had roughly the same as rashford, its not to say rashford will reach that or anywhere near it, but to say he has time and isnt doing as bad as people try to make out.

That seems about as direct a comparison as it can get.

See above.
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain
    Rashford is playing in a team that is bottom 5 for chances created (last I checked) this season. Don't let the name of Manchester United fool you.
  • arsenalap
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Rashford is playing in a team that is bottom 5 for chances created (last I checked) this season. Don't let the name of Manchester United fool you.

I mean the stats are taken over 4 to 5 years so 10 games this season aren't massively influential ha
  • Keano

I mean the stats are taken over 4 to 5 years so 10 games this season aren't massively influential ha

Was our chances created that high under LVG or Mourinho then?? From what i remember it wasnt.
  • arsenalap

Was our chances created that high under LVG or Mourinho then?? From what i remember it wasnt.

Probably more than a Southampton side. But in fairness I dont know the answer to that.
  • Keano

Probably more than a Southampton side. But in fairness I dont know the answer to that.

All i’m thinking is if we’re the 5th worst side for creating chances, that in theory is a relegation side if we carry on as we were, or at least not a top 6 side, so the southampton one would be roughly in the bottom 6-7 as well, they mightve been the worst for chances created but overall youd assume itd be not far off
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain
    edited October 24

All i’m thinking is if we’re the 5th worst side for creating chances, that in theory is a relegation side if we carry on as we were, or at least not a top 6 side, so the southampton one would be roughly in the bottom 6-7 as well, they mightve been the worst for chances created but overall youd assume itd be not far off

Southampton actually have some of the most chances created if I recall. Like top 6
  • Tornado31619
    17874 posts World Class

Rashford wasn’t even around 4-5 years ago.
  • arsenalap
    edited October 24

Rashford wasn’t even around 4-5 years ago.

Surely you knew what I meant..

The stats are taken over his United career so whatever that is. 3 years then..

Edit I just looked it up, he made his debut 4 years ago.. so yes he was..
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain

Good source for Bayern but this has Schweini vibes all over it
  • Wyojasond
    12199 posts Has That Special Something

Good source for Bayern but this has Schweini vibes all over it

He’s gonna be linked with everyone. We had some interest last week apparently. Dont see him leaving Germany, but maybe somebody will give him a big pay day 🤷‍♂️
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain
    edited October 24
    Predictions for tonight's match?

I'm going 1-1 and given this is the toughest match in the group, I'd be satisfied with that. In Europe, the math is simple. Win your home games and get a draw away and you'll be fine.

That said, and this may just be false optimism from the Liverpool performance, I have a sneaky feeling we may just grab our first away win since Paris here.
  • wth22
    10518 posts Has That Special Something
    0-0, stock prediction for away games
  • Apollo
    16264 posts World Class
    United 2-1 win
  • Pxul_
    8234 posts League Winner
    I have an Acca with you guys losing in it, help me out😂
  • Keano
    Pxul_ wrote: »

Not sure we need to help you mate it might become reality 😂
  • finsfan85

You are United. Playing Partizan in the Europa League.
  • Keano

You are United. Playing Partizan in the Europa League.

It was a joke, notice by the 😂 emoji laughing to show it was a joke, i apologise if you can’t understand basic internet chat other than trying to troll, my bad pal so sorry
  • Apollo
    16264 posts World Class
    3atb! Really pleased to see that, and buzzing that Garner and Williams are starting, but why not Greenwood? :/
  • Ahmer50x
    19940 posts Club Captain
    edited October 24
    Mason should be playing but otherwise absolutely love that team.

Can’t wait to see Garner play and 3atb stays <3

Just seen Hazza is captain too :blush:
  • Alex02
    2818 posts Fans' Favourite
    Happy with the team and amount of kids playing but should Martial really be starting after a long time out? Have we not learnt