Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    edited September 19

Only 19 players and surely Kovar will be the one not to make the bench so we know the match day 18.
    Romero
    Dalot---Tuanzebe---Jones---Rojo
    Garner---Fred
    Chong---Gomes---Lingard
    Greenwood

Bench: Grant, Maguire, Young, Matic, McTominay, Mata, Rashford

Hopefully we see that but I can see Matic and Mata getting involved over Garner and Lingard.
  • Apollo
    15734 posts World Class
    edited September 19
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Only 19 players and surely Kovar will be the one not to make the bench so we know the match day 18.
    Romero
    Dalot---Tuanzebe---Jones---Rojo
    Garner---Fred
    Chong---Gomes---Lingard
    Greenwood

Bench: Grant, Maguire, Young, Matic, McTominay, Mata, Rashford

Hopefully we see that but I can see Matic and Mata getting involved over Garner and Lingard.

Going to be quality seeing Greenwood, Gomes and Chong (I agree with you about Garner probably being on the bench) show what they can do B)
  • Wyojasond
    11995 posts Has That Special Something
    Honest question......say Ole sticks with the kids for the first 3-4 group games and you really struggle, serious doubts about Ole or just part of the growing process?
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    edited September 19
    Honest question......say Ole sticks with the kids for the first 3-4 group games and you really struggle, serious doubts about Ole or just part of the growing process?

Happy to **** off the cups entirely.

Use them to test out kids, even if we lose 3-0 tonight I'm fine.

This season is all about the league.
  • finsfan85
    12744 posts Has That Special Something

And if you do that and miss out on top 4 anyway?
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    32025 posts National Team Captain
    edited September 19

That’s truly nonsense.
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    We need a place to develop these kids. They're too good for youth team football but not proven enough to start in the Prem. The FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League are all good places to give them game time.

That's my objective in those competitions. If we get to a QF or further, we can start to fix in some first team players. Until then, I'm just hoping for 11 players rotated to keep fresh for the league and to develop the kids.

It's not just about singlemindedly chasing top 4. It's also equally about giving the likes of Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, etc chances to prove they can hack it here.
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    edited September 19
    Should elaborate, when I say we can lose 3-0, I mean that I'd rather play the kids and lose than win with the first 11.

Not trying to suggest I don't care about these competitions. Will still be annoyed if we lose.

Was answering @Wyojasond 's question
  • Retro_G
    29801 posts National Team Captain

I honestly can't see us struggling, even with the kids, but if the first few games start going pear shaped. I'll expect Ole to bring in more experienced players for this competition because it provides a way into the champions league, should be taken seriously. I couldn't give a toss about the domestic cups, throw the kids in the deep end, let's see what happens. They need game time.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    3095 posts National Call-Up
    So if they play horribly today, struggle to create chances and look as toothless as normal, does the manager not need to take some blame?
  • SDoofus
    5750 posts Big Money Move
    So if they play horribly today, struggle to create chances and look as toothless as normal, does the manager not need to take some blame?

If they blitz it, will you give them praise?
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    The sad part (that I fully expect) will be if one of the kids has a breakout performance and gets dropped for the weekend anyways.

I can absolutely see something like Greenwood getting a brace and then being benched for **** Lingard or Mata against West Ham
  • ViVaWhom
    8246 posts League Winner
    random thought, i always wonder how Fergie would have done in Pep era of the premier league

i think he would have built a team to get 90+ points... but there is literally no way to know, just makes me wonder
  • Wyojasond
    11995 posts Has That Special Something
    I gotta ask...for a group of fans that banged on nonstop as early as last year bragging about winning the EL and FA cup, what has brought such a sudden change?

Is it just City’s premier league dominance and Liverpool winning the CL?
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    I gotta ask...for a group of fans that banged on nonstop as early as last year bragging about winning the EL and FA cup, what has brought such a sudden change?

That's a charge for the former (and some current) members of the Mourinho cult to answer to.

A good few of us (the anti-Mourinho faction) never banged on about it like crazy.

Yes, we may have bantered you about no trophies but we found the "treble" talk embarassing.
  • Apollo
    15734 posts World Class

I've never been one to brag like some on here myself, but the club priorities have undoubtedly changed in the short term. Ole has actually had the balls to shift out a decent amount of the deadwood and has begun the rebuilding process around younger players and will be giving academy players a lot of game time this season. The process of them developing and the new squad balance taking shape takes time. We're (to an extent), writing off the short term for long term gain by attempting to build a side that in 2-3 years can consistently challenge for trophies. That doesn't happen overnight, and as a result our squad depth right now necessitates a change in priorities by using these competitions to give academy players much needed game time.
  • Tornado31619
    17386 posts World Class
    A trophy is a trophy. Should always try to get something out of these competitions even if we ultimately get knocked out.

Play the kids in the early rounds, integrate some of the first XI in by the R16/QFs and then strongest XI from the semis onward. For the EL, maybe we can start playing some of our first XI in the R32. But we need to be reasonable here.
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    Just found out that Turner Sports are only broadcasting the Europa League final on TV here in the US. Every other match is on their streaming service instead while they put most big teams' CL matches on TV.

Yet another reason to hate this **** competition.
  • Retro_G
    29801 posts National Team Captain
    edited September 19

Massive underinvestment by the Glazers in the summer, we know our squad is threadbare, different circumstances. Ole is working with his hands tied behind his back.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    3095 posts National Call-Up
    SDoofus wrote: »

If they blitz it, will you give them praise?

If it's genuinely good football then yes. It'd have to be a very good performance to impress me though considering it's Astana. I can see a comfortable but drab 2-0 win.
  • RayS
    26619 posts Player of the Year
    Just found out that Turner Sports are only broadcasting the Europa League final on TV here in the US. Every other match is on their streaming service instead while they put most big teams' CL matches on TV.

Yet another reason to hate this **** competition.

For us in the States, you need BR Live (UEL), ESPN+ (League Cup), NBC Sports Gold (non televised PL matches), and of course your cable provider or some service for the televised games.

Those monthly subscriptions add up fast!
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    edited September 19

Matic should not be captain and Rashford should not be playing, otherwise big W for Ole
  • Apollo
    15734 posts World Class

Matic should not be captain and Rashford should not be playing, otherwise big W for Ole

Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong 🤩 Buzzing for this game
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »

Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong 🤩 Buzzing for this game

Class of 2019, now loading :sunglasses:
  • ViVaWhom
    8246 posts League Winner
    OMG Gomes is actually starting! holy ****!!!
  • Apollo
    15734 posts World Class
    @HysxteriA

Time for Gomes. B)
  • Ahmer50x
    19148 posts World Class
    Can someone who watches more youth football explain the lineup to me?

My guess is he's going Greenwood RW, Gomes CAM, Chong LW, and Rashford up front.

He also used Chong on the LW at weekend.

But I always thought Chong was a RWer?
  • Apollo
    15734 posts World Class
  • Teh Zombz
    3860 posts National Call-Up
    love that team