Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Apollo
    14146 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 26
    One of the best performances in terms of chance creation against a low block, post-Fergie. Zlatan might've missed a ton of chances, but by god he created loads too.

At this point you don't even seem to be making a point anymore. Literally everyone in here knows that we struggle breaking down teams that are sat back; no one wants to see Lingard starting at 10 in those games as we all know we need more creativity against these types of teams to break them down. No one is arguing that it was the right decision to start Lingard yesterday.

For the record, do you actually support United?
  • MarkFromNorwich
    2932 posts Fans' Favourite
    Apollo wrote: »
    One of the best performances in terms of chance creation against a low block, post-Fergie. Zlatan might've missed a ton of chances, but by god he created loads too.

At this point you don't even seem to be making a point anymore. Literally everyone in here knows that we struggle breaking down teams that are sat back; no one wants to see Lingard starting at 10 in those games as we all know we need more creativity against these types of teams to break them down. No one is arguing that it was the right decision to start Lingard yesterday.

You need to drop more than just Lingard. Mata and Sanchez are both much more adept at unlocking tight defences. Angel Gomes too. Full backs that can cross/dribble also helps, but people are enamoured with Wan Bissaka and Shaw who are both crap at both. Deep midfielders that can commit and dribble past players help too, but Fred is nowhere near the team either. Players like James, Rashford and JLingz are useless in these games and the manager plays them.

• Apollo
    edited August 26

You need to drop more than just Lingard. Mata and Sanchez are both much more adept at unlocking tight defences. Angel Gomes too. Full backs that can cross/dribble also helps, but people are enamoured with Wan Bissaka and Shaw who are both crap at both. Deep midfielders that can commit and dribble past players help too, but Fred is nowhere near the team either. Players like James, Rashford and JLingz are useless in these games and the manager plays them.

Dropping Lingard would mean playing Mata or Gomes, I thought that was obvious from my post that that's what I was suggesting. Lingard has been playing at 10, everyone in here wants one of our more creative players to be playing there instead.

Sanchez is finished. He's rightly not getting anywhere near the team. We need Mata, Gomes or Pereira playing at 10 against teams that sit back, not Lingard.
    Full backs that can cross/dribble also helps, but people are enamoured with Wan Bissaka and Shaw who are both crap at both.

That is laughable. :D
  • MarkFromNorwich

Dropping Lingard would mean playing Mata or Gomes, I thought that was obvious from my post that that's what I was suggesting. Lingard has been playing at 10, everyone in here wants one of our more creative players to be playing there instead.

Sanchez is finished. He's rightly not getting anywhere near the team. We need Mata, Gomes or Pereira playing at 10 against teams that sit back, not Lingard.
    Full backs that can cross/dribble also helps, but people are enamoured with Wan Bissaka and Shaw who are both crap at both.

Come on, you can't honestly think either are good dribblers or crossers? That's delusion. Wan Bissaka is a great defender, I'll obviously admit that because it's undeniable, but he dribbles like Bambi on ice, and his crossing technique is poor. Luke Shaw has the agility of a hippo and again, crossing technique is poor. Robertson and Trent get so much whip on their crosses, wheres Shaw and Wan Bissaka literally just fire it as hard as they can and hope, very similar to Valencia.

It also makes me laugh how you can say Sanchez is finished, yet Rashford can have stinkers like he did against Palace but will retain his spot. Why is it okay for Rashford to have a dozen bad games in a row dating back to the end of last season, but Sanchez who has half a dozen bad games coming in & out of an under performing team is thrown on the rubbish pile. It's just hypocrisy.

I get the frustration, because Sanchez is not playing anywhere near what a 400k per week player should play like, but he's also no worse than Rashford or Lingard were in the latter stages of last season but with far less chances to turn it around.
  • Apollo

Come on, you can't honestly think either are good dribblers or crossers? That's delusion. Wan Bissaka is a great defender, I'll obviously admit that because it's undeniable, but he dribbles like Bambi on ice, and his crossing technique is poor. Luke Shaw has the agility of a hippo and again, crossing technique is poor. Robertson and Trent get so much whip on their crosses, wheres Shaw and Wan Bissaka literally just fire it as hard as they can and hope, very similar to Valencia.

It also makes me laugh how you can say Sanchez is finished, yet Rashford can have stinkers like he did against Palace but will retain his spot. Why is it okay for Rashford to have a dozen bad games in a row dating back to the end of last season, but Sanchez who has half a dozen bad games coming in & out of an under performing team is thrown on the rubbish pile. It's just hypocrisy.

I get the frustration, because Sanchez is not playing anywhere near what a 400k per week player should play like, but he's also no worse than Rashford or Lingard were in the latter stages of last season but with far less chances to turn it around.

We're clearly not going to agree on the fullbacks, so I've got nothing more to add on the matter.

Rashford scored two goals against Chelsea two games ago. One was a penalty admittedly but he is still contributing. As for last season, he was playing visibly with a knock throughout the end of the past season and was nowhere near full fitness like he was earlier in Ole's management. That's why his form dropped off. Before that he was contributing regularly under Ole, a lot more than Sanchez has ever done for us.

Couple that with the entire squad's fitness problems near the end of last season and that's why the results fell off. It was clearly an issue caused by the transition in fitness requirements from Mourinho to Ole that affected the whole squad.

Sanchez offers nothing on the pitch now and has had it at this level. He used to be world class, now he is abysmal. Literally I can't remember a player's ability ever falling off to the extent that Sanchez's has. Ole is absolutely right to move him on and I hope he never plays for the club again.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    De Gea
    Dalot - Lindelof - Maguire - Wan Bissaka
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Gomes and Mata fighting for the 10 spot. Rashford is great in the inside left channel isolating a defender 1v1, but rarely gets that chance, he's pretty ineffectual beyond that. Regardless, that 11 in some form, mixed in with Gomes, Greenwood and Rashford looks pretty good to me. I'd rather just play Wan Bissaka at LB like Azpilicueta used to do, and let Dalot basically play as a winger, especially against defensive teams.

I am ready to pilloried for that XI, but that combination of players would make me 10x more confident than the crap we saw at the weekend.
  • Apollo
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Gomes and Mata fighting for the 10 spot. Rashford is great in the inside left channel isolating a defender 1v1, but rarely gets that chance, he's pretty ineffectual beyond that. Regardless, that 11 in some form, mixed in with Gomes, Greenwood and Rashford looks pretty good to me. I'd rather just play Wan Bissaka at LB like Azpilicueta used to do, and let Dalot basically play as a winger, especially against defensive teams.

I am ready to pilloried for that XI, but that combination of players would make me 10x more confident than the crap we saw at the weekend.

Do you support United?
  • Apollo
    I really hope Martial's injury isn't as bad as first feared so Sanchez's move can be sanctioned. The sooner he's gone, the better so this rubbish can end.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    I really hope Martial's injury isn't as bad as first feared so Sanchez's move can be sanctioned. The sooner he's gone, the better so this rubbish can end.

Sanchez isn't playing anyway so what does it matter whether he stays or leaves...?
  • Apollo

Sanchez isn't playing anyway so what does it matter whether he stays or leaves...?

He's on 400k a week which has already caused us considerable problems with contract negotiations with other players at the club (a problem that the club caused themselves admittedly by paying the wages in the first place). The club being willing to sanction a loan where the club still plays a chunk of his wages just to get him out is a statement of how much the move was a mistake and that we don't want him here.

As for on the pitch, if he can ever get himself fit, because of the wages he's on he'd have to be involved in some capacity because you couldn't have someone on his wages not playing if he was fit. Getting him out avoids that situation and allows Ole to give any of his potential minutes to either Gomes or Greenwood and build for the future, not play someone who is in the middle of a massive decline.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    I get the wage argument for sure, and I don't think he'll ever hit 20-30 goals a season again, but for this season at least, he still is a better option than Lingard and James imo (and Rashford, but that's a bit more controversial).
  • Keano
    12682 posts Has That Special Something
    I get the wage argument for sure, and I don't think he'll ever hit 20-30 goals a season again, but for this season at least, he still is a better option than Lingard and James imo (and Rashford, but that's a bit more controversial).

I do get that, but Sanchez hasn't contributed anything really since he got here. James has 2 goals in 3 games, which although we know he isn't a world beater atm or anything, if you pick Sanchez most weeks instead of him, you halt his, Greenwoods etc probgression & game time, which is why a lot of us are fine to have him leave, as we're okay with James, Greenwood etc getting the right sided role. Sanchez alone I believe gets an extra 75k just for coming onto the pitch at any point, which could be a good squad players wages per week.

Overall, we all loved it when we got him, it hasn't worked out, but by trying to beat a dead horse in hoping he'll come good, you stop the progression of the youngsters as well as waste more time, which the majority of the fans arn't prepared to do.
  • Shshj
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Surely this isn't serious :joy:
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Shshj wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Did you expect anything else? 😂
  • MarkFromNorwich
    edited August 26
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Why? Plays to the strengths of United's better players. Pogba is better drifting in from the left than playing deep in midfield where he holds onto the ball far too long and often loses possession, Dalot phenomenal crosser and provides real width on the right. Three very good technical players centrally, Fred in a two to bring the ball forward. His short passing is inconsistent but he can inject some tempo into the game by committing a man. Much better than "wE nEeD PaCe" merchants like Dan James and Lingard. It'd look something like this in ball possession.
    De Gea
    Lindelof - Maguire - Wan Bissaka
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

The wide midfielders have plenty of legs to get out to oppo fullbacks, Sanchez is a willing presser too. Get Mata to nip in on the oppo midfielder which comes short, which he has shown he can do (did a good job on Jorginho towards end of last season). Certainly not a ridiculous team suggestion, imo. I know including Sanchez and Mata will raise eyebrows, but I think they're better players than the current players that are featuring regularly.
  • Apollo
    Couchy wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

I never know what to expect when stepping into this part of the forum

He's from the XBOX section.
  • Keano
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Sometimes life likes to throw you a few treats to get you through your day.

De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

So was I :'(
  • Shshj
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

You mean United fans don't want Pogba playing LM when in possession?
  • forearms
    4679 posts National Call-Up
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

I had hoped that playing players out of position at CB ended with the last manager. Then you are putting Pogba in a wide position? Is this some sort of parody?
  • MarkFromNorwich
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

You mean United fans don't want Pogba playing LM when in possession?

He plays like a winger with how careless he is in possession sometimes. He's good operating on the left, one of his best 90 minute performances came against Everton a season or two ago where he was mainly on the left.
  • MarkFromNorwich
    forearms wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

I had hoped that playing players out of position at CB ended with the last manager. Then you are putting Pogba in a wide position? Is this some sort of parody?

What are you talking about? Lindelof and Maguire are playing CB and both are natural CBs?
  • forearms
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

What are you talking about? Lindelof and Maguire are playing CB and both are natural CBs?

Wan-Bissaka?
  • MarkFromNorwich
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

Wan-Bissaka?

RB and LB are essentially the same position in terms of defensive positioning so what is the problem?
  • Keano
    edited August 26
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

he's on about the whole.... playing young at cb etc & you pushing Pogba from cm to LM & AWB from RB - cb.

Pogba does generally drift to the left as he seems to prefer to play from that side, but pushing him to far wide could be as bad as pushing him to far back, where he can't get the balls off, or isn't able to affect the game as much due to that.
  • forearms
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

Wan-Bissaka?

RB and LB are essentially the same position in terms of defensive positioning so what is the problem?

Sorry guys. I shouldve learned. My fault again 🤦‍♂️
  • MarkFromNorwich
    edited August 26
    Keano wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

De Gea
    Fred - McTominay
    Dalot - Mata - Pogba
    Sanchez - Martial

he's on about the whole.... playing young at cb etc & you pushing Pogba from cm to LM.

Pogba does generally drift to the left as he seems to prefer to play from that side, but pushing him to far wide could be as bad as pushing him to far back, where he can't get the balls off, or isn't able to affect the game as much due to that.

Good point. I'd want him more inside when he's not ball side, so width on the left may be an issue. I like Wan Bissaka more than Shaw but perhaps Shaw would have to come in on the left to at least makes the runs wide of Pogba even if he won't do anything with it.

Oh and Wan Bissaka is not playing CB. He would be playing left back. There's a difference between a team's shape in possession and out of possession. Man City's full backs quite often tuck in and make a midfield three in possession, yet they aren't technically playing CM.
  • Wyojasond
    11132 posts Has That Special Something
    Pietu wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Do you support United?

Notice how he always avoids this question :lol:

What's the relevance of the question?

I mean it’s a pretty simple “yes or no” answer.....
  • MarkFromNorwich
    Pietu wrote: »
    De Gea
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Mata
    Sanchez - Martial

Do you support United?

Notice how he always avoids this question :lol:

What's the relevance of the question?

I mean it’s a pretty simple “yes or no” answer.....

Not sure. I watch pretty much all their games, tired of them playing crap, but dislike the team and manager so when they lose it's like - 'okay, they're at least one step closer to sacking the manager, getting rid of the vast majority of the not good enough players, and being a team I like again.'
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31653 posts National Team Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I’d rather Pressy get made captain than ever see Alexis play for United again

For what reason? Alexis barely played under this apparently expansive new manager, Lingard has played consistently in such a great attacking side that Ole has built, and hasn't scored or assisted this year.

Everyone in here doesn't want Lingard to start, that's one of the few things Ole has done wrong. But Sanchez shouldn't be at the club and has been absolutely abysmal every chance he has been given, he needs to be sold and Ole is absolutely right to not be playing him. He is finished at this level.

I'll remember this when he goes to Serie A and starts playing well under a decent manager.

"But.. but.. but.. Serie A is slower, of course he'll do well! He can't handle the physicality of the Premier League!"

Yeah, right. Maybe a manager who isn't obsessed with how fast players are might be able to get something out of him. Instead you've got three roadrunners in attacking positions with no ability to retain the ball in tight spaces. Good job!

I hate to tell you this, but Ole wasn't the manager who signed him and Sanchez was abysmal under Jose as well.

Just ignore him. He’s got the football IQ of an olive and is best left to himself

I could say the same to you...

AWB & Shaw can't cross or dribble 1v1.
    Daniel James & Rashford are terrible at quick interplay in tight spaces.
    Lingard has no eye for a pass and basic technical skills are lacking.
    Ole has only shown he knows how to counter attack to create chances, no idea when you dominate the ball.

Disagree with any of those?

I don’t understand why you believe EVERY team HAS to play like Pep’s system to succeed...

Not every team has to play like Pep's team, but they need some sort of idea in controlled possession, even Klopp doesn't solely rely on counter pressing to create chances. They don't have creative midfielders but they have creative full backs. Ole is happy with having neither!

But again you’re looking at the top 2 teams currently in the league and suggesting we have to mirror them to succeed...both teams that have “their team” and have had plenty of time to implement their system. Both managers of which struggled throughout their first season with their club...OGS has had half a season and some change. Don’t think any United fan is expecting instant success and recognize it’ll take a little time to iron things out. We know it’s not always going to be pretty. We know there are holes in the squad that need to be fixed and that we need more creative players.

As for the fullback issue that you love to bang on week in and week out. AWB isn’t the worst crosser, and not the best, but he’s young enough to work on it and improve. Shaw is a pretty damn good crosser. Don’t understand your criticism of Shaw. You seem to be obsessed with his body type more than anything.