Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• wth22
    9652 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    wth22 wrote: »
    They're all grown adults not your 10 year old kid ffs, what does it matter if Rashford's best friend is someone who tries to enjoy every second of what he does in his own way?

This. lmao. Legitimately had a chuckle logging in today and seeing people argue who's best or closest friends with who. Grade school drama.

You know how parents don’t want their kids to hang out with the wrong crowd? That’s how we feel about the new signings.

Jesse is the cool kid who is day drinking while unfashionable Scott McTominay will help get you into a good college.

That would be all good if this was the U10 team. These are grown up professionals who know who and what to hang out with ffs.

It's not as if you know Lingard or Pogba personally anyway. You're just jumping to conclusions based on what they post on social media. Even common people usually post the fun parts of their lives on social media, so you don't know if there's other sides on them based on just that. Based on the public interactions Lingard has he seems like a very nice bloke.

Could be anything for all I care they're all grown adults who can see and who choose who to fraternize with. If they're your 10 year old kid go ahead.
  • Ahmer50x
    16074 posts World Class

Really buzzing for the new season. Players broadly seem to really like Ole and what he's doing.

If Judge and Woodward can deliver on their end with Maguire and Bruno, United could surprise some people (including us on here tbh) this season.
  • wth22
    9652 posts League Winner
    Not sure if this was posted already but Dave seems likely to become the new captain with his new deal. Probably the best choice for captain available.
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year

Really buzzing for the new season. Players broadly seem to really like Ole and what he's doing.

If Judge and Woodward can deliver on their end with Maguire and Bruno, United could surprise some people (including us on here tbh) this season.

I'd fancy us to win silverware if we add Maguire, Bruno. Although even with them signings, we would struggle to push Spurs for that 3rd spot in the league. Ndombele looks like a fantastic signing for them, they've a quality team on paper.
  • Retro_G
    wth22 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted already but Dave seems likely to become the new captain with his new deal. Probably the best choice for captain available.

Agreed.
  • Retro_G
    Watch this @XxRichiexRichxX and you might learn a thing or two about Maguire.

• XxRichiexRichxX
    31317 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 23
    Retro_G wrote: »

LOL. I've seen this and it doesn't change my opinion that the guy is overrated. There's no justifying that we're getting rinsed for a CB that's not a top 10 CB in the world and who will likely not reach a world class level.

I just want to get the deal over with and move on. I've not argued that he's not an upgrade on all of our CB's not named Lindelof. But I don't see him as a CB that's going to have us challenging for the title anytime soon, thus I don't see him taking us to the next level. I hate that this will likely be our "big money" CB for the next couple of seasons.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    12803 posts Has That Special Something

LOL. I've seen this and it doesn't change my opinion that the guy is overrated. There's no justifying that we're getting rinsed for a CB that's not a top 10 CB in the world and who will likely not reach a world class level.

I just want to get the deal over with and move on. I've not argued that he's not an upgrade on all of our CB's not named Lindelof. But I don't see him as a CB that's going to have us challenging for the title anytime soon, thus I don't see him taking us to the next level. I hate that this will likely be our "big money" CB for the next couple of seasons.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

+1

Bang on in line with my thoughts on it too
  • Low Ki
    11706 posts Has That Special Something

Used car salesman pitch.
  • Ahmer50x
    16074 posts World Class
  • TakeItSlow
    6436 posts Big Money Move
    Was watching the true Geordie podcast and he thinks Maguire is like a Cahill in his prime. It’s not a bad comparison.
  • Sellish
    8566 posts League Winner
    I think it's just his agents trying to force someones hand so someone buys him.

Not interested.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31317 posts National Team Captain
    Yeah highly doubt we sign Pepe.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 23

Overall it's a good move to have that link to get the academy back on track doing the main job it should have,

"scope will be to suit club needs."

Looks likes the Director of football role is getting split around, Butt promotion likely rules out anyone with academy experience such as Stuart Webber. Don't be surprised that Woodward and Judge are still in charge of transfers and they just bring an ex pro on board to be involved with the discussions or promote a scout to identify.

It's basically just a head of recruitment role available now and the best in the game have bigger remits at their current clubs. Step down with bigger risks. Needs full control of the whole squad in and outs and must work with the manager.

Reality is they not giving someone full control of the football side and doubt they will give anyone full control of transfers. The role is getting watered down that much it could actually be worse for the club to appoint someone in charge of recruitment as it's all disjointed. Woodward will still appoint managers, Judge will still manage the wage structure. 1 Job controlled by 6 very different people.

• Alex02
    2652 posts Fans' Favourite
  • WelshWizard
    Alex02 wrote: »

As a replacement it's likely the best we can hope for and I would be very happy with it. Would suit the 4231 system very well.
  • Apollo
    12958 posts Has That Special Something
    Not sure I believe that. If Pogba talks had stepped up, there would be English reporters all over it, which there hasn't been. Including that part about Pogba in the report makes me dubious of it, they're allegedly reliable for Lazio, not business between United and Real. We're hardly going to advertise the fact to Lazio that Pogba talks have accelerated as they'll be raising their asking price for Milinkovic-Savic straight away.
  • WelshWizard

Nothing new and no point as people's minds are already made up. Can throw all the stats backing up why we see it as the best move and we will still get "He is not WC" and "he is not top 10" while getting no suitable alternatives that deliver now named.

Mindsets/Expectations need to change and end of the day Maguire just needs to come in and solve the issues he would be bought to solve and be judged on that,
  • Sellish
    8566 posts League Winner
    edited July 23
    I was afraid that the Maguire transfer will hinder us from getting Bruno. Hope it isn't true. It would make the Maguire signing 100% bad.
  • Ahmer50x
    16074 posts World Class
    If we only get one more player this summer, I still hope its Maguire but no excuses for Woodward failing to deliver Longstaff and Bruno if Ole has asked for them.
  • Wyojasond
    10680 posts Has That Special Something
    Read a report this morning that Bruno does have a 31m release clause but Sporting have the option to decline any offers on that as they want 70m for him. If a team does offer his clause and they refuse, he gets to pocket 4m from Sporting for the season 🤷‍♂️
  • Apollo
    Sellish wrote: »
    I was afraid that the Maguire transfer will hinder us from getting Bruno. Hope it isn't true. It would make the Maguire signing 100% bad.

I'm not sure how you figure that. The fee is a negative point, that much is clear. But signing him gives us a better option than all of our current alternatives for Lindelof's partner, he pushes Jones and Rojo down the pecking order and probably at least one of them out of the club. There are plenty of positives to signing him.

I want Bruno to join the club as well, but the perception of the Maguire signing shouldn't change regardless of the outcome with Bruno. He resolves an issue in the squad, it's Judge/Woodward's fault if they can't get more than one bit of business done in the remaining time, it doesn't make the deal for Maguire any different because we need a CB irrespective of the fact we need Bruno as well.
  • Ahmer50x
    16074 posts World Class

Bruno with the come and get me pleas but Woodward too busy haggling over 2-3m in bonuses for Maguire :cry:
  • WelshWizard
    Read a report this morning that Bruno does have a 31m release clause but Sporting have the option to decline any offers on that as they want 70m for him. If a team does offer his clause and they refuse, he gets to pocket 4m from Sporting for the season 🤷‍♂️

Yeah these clauses get better and better :D

It's why the first bid has to seal the deal as Sporting will just add that 4m on to the fee.
    Sellish wrote: »

I think Maguire should be the priority out of the targets but failing to get the deals we set out to get in the first place fully falls on Woodward and Judge. I could forgive not replacing players we sell beyond the 5 needs(RW/CM/CDM/CB/RB) especially if Bruno is the Mid and could forgive not getting Longstaff but not getting the CB and CM over the line has to been seen as a massive failure.

We cheapen out on RW and getting lucky with Greenwood, Talk of needing Lukaku money to fund rest of our business is just pathetic. Nice of Woodward to not go on Tour and actually try and prevent creating a new low of him as CEO.

Team is good enough for top 4 and Ole system will improve us but even if Bruno and Maguire don't make us challengers we can't afford to stand still especially when the needs are so clear.

• Apollo
    edited July 23
    If we only get one more player this summer, I still hope its Maguire but no excuses for Woodward failing to deliver Longstaff and Bruno if Ole has asked for them.

100%, there should be no excuse for Judge and Woodward if that happens. Anything less than two more signings and it's an absolute joke. Ole wanted 5 players, we've got 2, Woodward/Judge have got to get at least 4 of them. Ole has made it clear he wants more players in, if we don't get them I bet some of our idiotic fan base continues to blame Ole when the problem is quite clearly Judge/Woodward not giving the manager the players he's asked for.

If we only get Maguire, as much as I'm happy with the three signings themselves, that's not a rebuild. We wouldn't be taking a big enough step towards trying to close some of the gap to the top.
  • Ahmer50x
    16074 posts World Class
    a new low of him as CEO.

It's gonna be hard for him to top the way he botched the Moyes and LVG sackings + his first window where we started off looking at Thiago and Fabregas to end up with just Fellaini (having paid over the release clause because we delayed so long :lol: )
  • WelshWizard
    One more player is simply not good enough, When we set out to get 5 for very clear needs.

Maguire, Bruno, Longstaff in that order of need, Anyone not seeing the huge issues we have aerially and need of a ball player from the back should look again. Axel was putting them to shame. We look even more like a joke at set pieces.

AWB was a start and solves a major issue of CDM/CBs getting overworked.
    Maguire solves the main issue, No one is capable at the club of doing.
    Creativity is needed somewhere and Bruno would supply that in the 10, up to now we have Mata/Gomes looking ok but Lingard has been a joke.
    Longstaff comes in to battle a bunch of CDM players.
  • wth22
    9652 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

100%, there should be no excuse for Judge and Woodward if that happens. Anything less than two more signings and it's an absolute joke. Ole wanted 5 players, we've got 2, Woodward/Judge have got to get at least 4 of them. Ole has made it clear he wants more players in, if we don't get them I bet some of our idiotic fan base continues to blame Ole when the problem is quite clearly Judge/Woodward not giving the manager the players he's asked for.

If we only get Maguire, as much as I'm happy with the three signings themselves, that's not a rebuild. We wouldn't be taking a big enough step towards trying to close some of the gap to the top.

Not trying to go back to this debate but it was clear that the manager was not the issue (in many other regards, but not in this regard) last season too, the guys who work on our transfers are simply stealing a wage.