Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 17
    Think the only player 100% starting vs Chelsea out of the front 3 is Rashford. We all expect Martial but we need to see him LW cause as expected James is giving them all a run and Greenwood is joining the fray as well. I think it will click for Martial(found himself wide right and the work rate was nothing like I've seen from him.) but only cause he under this pressure

The whole plan was to get players fluid enough to play across the front 3 and Greenwood and James naturally fit that.
  • Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

:o

Presume if that happened it would be Martial - Rashford - Greenwood.

Any combo of Rashford with two of Martial, James, Greenwood, and Gomes is fine by me but would love it if Mason was given the chance to seriously establish himself this season.

Agree with all of that. I'd be very surprised if Greenwood isn't given that chance to establish himself, everything is pointing to him being Rashford's backup when Lukaku goes. He should get plenty of opportunities, especially if he is getting some games on the right as well.

Everything except this.

Though he did mention in the same interview that Pereira and McTominay could replace Herrera so I suppose he could mean internal options too
  • Apollo
    13077 posts Has That Special Something

Any combo of Rashford with two of Martial, James, Greenwood, and Gomes is fine by me but would love it if Mason was given the chance to seriously establish himself this season.

Agree with all of that. I'd be very surprised if Greenwood isn't given that chance to establish himself, everything is pointing to him being Rashford's backup when Lukaku goes. He should get plenty of opportunities, especially if he is getting some games on the right as well.

Everything except this.

Though he did mention in the same interview that Pereira and McTominay could replace Herrera so I suppose he could mean internal options too

Yeah I think he does mean internal options as well. The focus of our remaining transfer business is looking like Maguire and then midfielders.
  • Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class

Everything except this.

Yeah I think he does mean internal options as well. The focus of our remaining transfer business is looking like Maguire and then midfielders.

I'm beginning to think that'll be singular.

Longstaff's valuation is stupid and I don't think United have a serious backup target in mind plus Pogba seems to be staying.

I can see us just going for Bruno and Maguire in the time we have left.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 17

Everything except this.

Think it's getting loss in the sense that in other interviews he is on about having targets in mind that they are working on which could increase if players go. Just think it's robotic answers to all the similar questions he is getting.
  • Apollo

Everything except this.

Longstaff's valuation is stupid and I don't think United have a serious backup target in mind plus Pogba seems to be staying.

Difficult to know for definite who is later down the line in the window with the way the club does business imo, those two definitely seem to be the primary targets, but it remains to be seen if we'll have time to get the DM we want afterwards, whether it's Longstaff or someone else.
  • Keano
    12227 posts Has That Special Something
    Regarding replacing lukaku with greenwood...

If they’re good enough, they’re old enough.
  • Apollo
    Hope Maguire is done before the Spurs preseason game. Inter game looks like it's too early imo, the Spurs game after is plausible.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 17

Everything except this.

Agree with that. A lot depends on who goes or stays but the plan seems just currently just get Maguire and Bruno in. Longstaff we will try till end of window but doubt we will budge if they don't drop thier demands.

Can't see no replacement for Rom when we are stuck with Sanchez and with Rashford/Martial/Greenwood all seen as able. Size of squad is having an impact on what we can do all over the pitch.

Talk of us only having 100m net spend has emerged as well so freeing up that money could facilitate the moves for Maguire and Bruno. It could explain why we are taking time negotiating hard.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 17
    CB and CM are right up there as needs and definitely more important than replacing Lukaku. Goals from Bruno and composure with stopper style in Maguire we won't back off from and can see us get them over the line.

Longstaff we will keep battling for right to the end in the hope Newcastle stance change but I can't see us giving in so will all depend on them.

Lukaku, Rojo and Darmian are our most likely outs. Matic likely to stay unless we recoup a lot more than 10m and replace him.

• Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    On pre-season form, Martial doesn't getting into the starting lineup against Chelsea. I'd go with James, Rashford, Greenwood.
  • TakeItSlow
    6445 posts Big Money Move
    Its good to see you now have your very own Walcott.
  • Apollo

Was looking for a clip of that earlier, serious wheels and work ethic to match 🔥🔥
  • Apollo
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Its good to see you now have your very own Walcott.

You seem to be in a trolling mood today with the rubbish you've come out with :joy:
  • ViVaWhom
    7596 posts League Winner
    he is always in that mood
  • Apollo
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    he is always in that mood

I don't normally think he's that bad, can usually have a conversation with him. Today on the other hand :joy:
  • Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class
    I have to say, I've gotten very excited for Greenwood at RW this season after Ole's comments.

It's gonna be the ultimate let down when Jesse Lingard starts and he doesn't even make the 18 against Chelsea :cry:
  • WelshWizard
    It was like the break from the Spurs game last season with Pogba bouncing the pass to Rashford again. Just breathes class with them passes from deep.

James adds another dimension to breaks anyone else and Rashford is crowded out by 3 and gives up possession. Shame no goal from it.
  • WelshWizard
    I have to say, I've gotten very excited for Greenwood at RW this season after Ole's comments.

It's gonna be the ultimate let down when Jesse Lingard starts and he doesn't even make the 18 against Chelsea :cry:

Awkward getting Chelsea first don't really know what we going to get. Still a lot of tour to go so let Lingard and Martial get a chance wide with Rashford. Greenwood is going to get a lot of games this season even if not the Chelsea one just the fact like James, he can play in any of the front 4 roles just opens his chances massively. Lingard could largely be used in the 10 on the break and more likely if we don't get Bruno so who knows Greenwood could already be ahead of him on the right.
  • Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class
    Based on what we've seen in preseason and trying to be realistic about the time remaining in the market, I'd like to see us end up with something like this...

GK: de Gea/Romero/Grant

RB: AWB/Dalot
    CB: Lindelof/Tuanzebe
    CB: Maguire/Smalling
    LB: Shaw/Young

CDM: McTominay/Fred
    CM: Pogba*/Pereira

RW: Greenwood/Lingard
    CAM: Bruno/Gomes
    LW: Martial/James

ST: Rashford/Sanchez

General Cover (for emergencies only): Fosu-Mensah (when fit again), Jones, Matic, Mata

Buy: Maguire, Bruno
    Sell: Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Lukaku
    Loan: Henderson, Pereira, Chong
    Back to the youth teams: Garner

*Assuming no significant bid arrives.

Obviously much more business I'd like to see us do, but that seems about all that can be accomplished in the time that remains. Would be pretty confident of top 4 if that squad materialized.
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 17
    Based on what we've seen in preseason and trying to be realistic about the time remaining in the market, I'd like to see us end up with something like this...

GK: de Gea/Romero/Grant

RB: AWB/Dalot
    CB: Lindelof/Tuanzebe
    CB: Maguire/Smalling
    LB: Shaw/Young

CDM: McTominay/Fred
    CM: Pogba*/Pereira

RW: Greenwood/Lingard
    CAM: Bruno/Gomes
    LW: Martial/James

ST: Rashford/Sanchez

General Cover (for emergencies only): Fosu-Mensah (when fit again), Jones, Matic, Mata

Buy: Maguire, Bruno
    Sell: Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Lukaku
    Loan: Henderson, Pereira, Chong
    Back to the youth teams: Garner

*Assuming no significant bid arrives.

Obviously much more business I'd like to see us do, but that seems about all that can be accomplished in the time that remains. Would be pretty confident of top 4 if that squad materialized.

I'd be happy with that. 4/5 done with Woodward and Judge has to been seen as a success. Would be a massive improvement with all clear issues sorted from within and the market. New ones might pop up and we lack quality depth but it's a good starting point of the rebuild. Avoid major injuries and challenges for cups and the battle for 3rd/4th is truly achievable.

RB - Defensive issue with Young - Replaced with AWB
    CB - Smalling uncomfortable on the ball which impacted build up from back and was susceptible from getting targeted in press - Replaced with Maguire
    CDM - Matic getting bypass and lacking mobility - Replaced with McTominay
    CAM - lack of another creative threat - Replaced with Bruno
    RW - lack of balance of width with Lingard/Mata coming way inside - Replaced with the interchange of Greenwood/James/Rashford

• Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class

So Leicester are getting annoyed with United's low ball/delay tactics the same way Swansea and Palace did.

This means things are moving in the right direction :lol:
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31359 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 17

So Leicester are getting annoyed with United's low ball/delay tactics the same way Swansea and Palace did.

Can’t be mad at the club for not wanting to get rinsed. This just aligns with the reports that United don’t want to get rinsed over the fee.

United just need to either bite the bullet and pay to get it done, or move on to someone else. Obviously for me it’s time to move on. And I’m not just saying that because it’s Maguire. It’s more to do with the fact that it’s evident that we want to bring in a CB. If we don’t want to pay that price, stop dwelling on it and move down the list to the next target.
  • Ahmer50x
    16249 posts World Class

Can’t be mad at the club for not wanting to get rinsed. This just aligns with the reports that United don’t want to get rinsed over the fee.

United just need to either bite the bullet and pay to get it done, or move on to someone else. Obviously for me it’s time to move on.

Its part of the Judge negotiation process:

Step 1: Speculation universally focuses in on one target.
    Step 2: Make bid at valuation that will never be accepted. Media reports other club's valuation is 20-30m more than United have bid.
    Step 3: Numerous false dawns that United have bid again. Usually a consensus price point emerges in this.
    Step 4: Other club gets annoyed and leaks that United are acting too slow/cheap.
    Step 5: Bid consensus number and sign player.
  • Low Ki
    11716 posts Has That Special Something
    Thought it's appropriate to post here since hes a former club legend:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37877150
    Meet Steve Bruce, crime writer.

In 1999, Bruce published three little-read but increasingly-sought after books of football-centric murder and mayhem - Striker!, Sweeper! and Defender!

A review of one of them:
    https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/
  • WelshWizard
    edited July 17

Leicester wanted a bidding war when us and City bidded :D

Following the same pattern. Watch United go in with another bid early next week.

Can't blame our club for wanting fair prices for us just hope there is time to do them and hopefully get a good crack at Longstaff as well as Window would be almost perfect on ins. Hopefully the outs can match it.
  • El_Nino
    2297 posts Fans' Favourite
    Surely, surely, Ole has to see that James/Greenwood would be better over Lingaard, in the system your going for Lingaard can’t play wide imo. He might be a slightly better all round player but the potential and pace of James/Greenwood has to outweigh Lingaards experience for me