Manchester United Football Club

Comments

  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    @Sellish He's at the stadium with the team, but no one seems to be reporting on why he's actually not in the squad today so far
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 13
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Maguire is mediocre and barely an improvement from our lot. The default fallback argument seems to be his aerial duels, but what did that do for us when we had one of the tallest starting xi's in the league and still needed Fellaini to bail us out?

    We've got a lot of tall players already, what are we going to get out of signing one taller who's on par with Matic in mobility?

    Last one then.

    Stats say he is no more worse a defender than any other player in the World. He is the best at Aerial duels and ball at feet with van Dijk in the World. Tall players doesn't equal good in the air. Mobility has been no issue for him in the Prem as he has excelled in the channel. The margins are so small at this level but your all want Usain Bolt or something when it hasn't been an issue for him.

    Come on now.

    Show that one clip that all CB end up getting done vs the speed demons unless it's consistent it's no impact.

    In their documentary, Pepe explicitly said City targeted him when they played Leicester because he was slow.

    I'd rather see this window with a short term fix and then go with a better signing next window after proper planning and preparation. Especially if we're in so heavy for so many young prospects.

    Being targeted doesn't show his mobility being a issue it's what he does when he is. Rashford is told to use his speed vs all players are their mobility a issue?

    What if I say there would not be a better signing in the next window and this will be our our only CB signing as we never shift Jones/Smalling - Role would require Smalling to go

    Anyhow defended slabhead enough when he not even our player. I think a lot of people takes on him are miles off the mark and you lot think I'm an idiot for defending a Mike Smalling that can pass.

    Stats/opinions won't change anyone's view on him at this point. If he plays for us we can all judge him then.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Apollo wrote: »
    Read the comments to the team announcement on twitter - how do so many people not understand what preseason is :joy: Absolute idiots

    Staying away think my brain would explode :D
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    Ole just confirmed what was expected, new XI in the second half.

    He says Lindelof has a slight niggle @Sellish
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Maguire is mediocre and barely an improvement from our lot. The default fallback argument seems to be his aerial duels, but what did that do for us when we had one of the tallest starting xi's in the league and still needed Fellaini to bail us out?

    We've got a lot of tall players already, what are we going to get out of signing one taller who's on par with Matic in mobility?

    Last one then.

    Stats say he is no more worse a defender than any other player in the World. He is the best at Aerial duels and ball at feet with van Dijk in the World. Tall players doesn't equal good in the air. Mobility has been no issue for him in the Prem as he has excelled in the channel. The margins are so small at this level but your all want Usain Bolt or something when it hasn't been an issue for him.

    Come on now.

    Show that one clip that all CB end up getting done vs the speed demons unless it's consistent it's no impact.

    In their documentary, Pepe explicitly said City targeted him when they played Leicester because he was slow.

    I'd rather see this window with a short term fix and then go with a better signing next window after proper planning and preparation. Especially if we're in so heavy for so many young prospects.

    Being targeted doesn't show his mobility being a issue it's what he does when he is. Rashford is told to use his speed vs all players are their mobility a issue?

    What if I say there would not be a better signing in the next window and this will be our our only CB signing as we never shift Jones/Smalling - Role would require Smalling to go

    Completely different circumstances. The majority of teams sit deep against us, which makes it difficult for Rashford to exploit the channels in behind. Ole's system will have us playing with a high defensive line, wingbacks that bomb forward. It's obvious that we will be susceptible to counter attacks, not every team goes long. Wolves as an example can move the ball fast with intricate passes and can sping a deadly counter.

    Even against teams that go long, they're not going to be sending a long ball in Maguire's direction, they would've been versed about Maguire's aerial dominance in preparation for the game. Now you can somewhat get away with using two slow centre backs by having a world class sweeper keeper, but you'll eventually get found out. Balls in behind will cause us issues with a partnership of Maguire, Lindelof and mark my words.
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    We're wearing that away snakeskin kit in respect to Crocodile Dundee. :joy:
  • Sellish
    8561 posts League Winner
    Apollo wrote: »

    As expected. I just want to see Victor with the captains armband.
  • ViVaWhom
    7560 posts League Winner
    edited July 13
    i paid for month of mutv, covers the whole pre season, cant be arsed with finding pirate links and matches are actually at good times here in uk

    excited about the game, football is officially back
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    i paid for month of mutv, covers the whole pre season, cant be arsed with finding pirate links and matches are actually at good times here in uk

    excited about the game, football is officially back

    Did exactly the same. Got MUTV just for the month
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    United pressure is unreal so far :joy:
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    United pressure is unreal so far :joy:

    Absolutely love to see it, Ole's press is back :blush:
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    Matic looking out of place even at this level :joy:
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Matic looking out of place even at this level :joy:

    Tuanzebe's already had to bail Matic out once :joy:
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    I thought Martial over hit that but then Dan James turned on the burners :sunglasses:
  • Teh Zombz
    3619 posts National Call-Up
    james is going to get injured isn't he
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    Perth if you injure Dan James we'll leave you with Phil Jones as penance when we leave Australia
  • HysxteriA
    3187 posts National Call-Up
    Matic, as someone said still looks out of place at this level. Shame because I really like the bloke but can't see any benefit to starting him anymore in premier league games.
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    Axel is so good.
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    i paid for month of mutv, covers the whole pre season, cant be arsed with finding pirate links and matches are actually at good times here in uk

    excited about the game, football is officially back

    Think I'll do the same, the stream I was watching was awful and kept freezing.
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year
    James pace is electric.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31317 posts National Team Captain
    Absolutely loving the pressure. Lots of possession won high up the pitch. Tuanzebe is very exciting to watch. Chong needs to put on some muscle if he’s going to break into the first team anytime soon imo. Final pass and finishing not quite there yet.
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    First half thoughts:
    • Tuanzebe and James look really promising
    • Matic started abysmal but improved to just below average
    • Ole's tactics (especially the high press) are very obvious.
    • Players seem ahead of usual on fitness
    • Tahith Chong always looks like a headless chicken every time I watch him. I know people on here and academy coaches rate him highly but I've never been impressed in his limited first team minutes.
  • Teh Zombz
    3619 posts National Call-Up
    still don't get the hype for chong, i like james and axel a lot, i hope he doesn't go back on loan
  • Apollo
    12944 posts Has That Special Something
    Very pleased with how James and Tuanzebe did in that half. A good start to their preseason
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31317 posts National Team Captain
    edited July 13
    I like Chong. I just don’t think he’s ready for the PL. don’t think he’s built for it tbh. I think there’s a decent player there, but may be away from the league unless he puts on some muscle at the very least.
  • Ahmer50x
    16064 posts World Class
    I like Chong. I just don’t think he’s ready for the PL. don’t think he’s built for it tbh.

    Think he could benefit from a loan tbh

    Regular men's football so he can toughen up and improve his decision making.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31317 posts National Team Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I like Chong. I just don’t think he’s ready for the PL. don’t think he’s built for it tbh.

    Think he could benefit from a loan tbh

    Regular men's football so he can toughen up and improve his decision making.

    Yeah decision making and physicality is definitely where he’s weakest right now
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 13
    Some thoughts so far.
    • The System - High Pressing, Counter Press all working great. Half spaces we are struggling with and could point to having no creative player.
    • Stopper role - Jones is so bad at stepping up got beat every time, Axel has done better at it but nowhere near comfortable, tackles are weak and vs more aerial threat he will struggle. A signing is still needed or it's Smalling starting. On the cover Axel is fine and should be back-up for Lindelof this season rest can do one.
    • Hope it's just Perth being rubbish and late because their is way too much unneeded aggression
    • Matic looking sharp in high press and tight marking under used on the ball and when we drop he looks out of it completely
    • Need to play through the mid more but been going wide too early and not switching play quick enough. - Creative player in that CM slot again.
Sign In or Register to comment.