Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    18283 posts World Class
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Arsenal achieved 70 points in a transition season without Bellerin and Holding for the main part of the season. Only team you're going to realistically chase down this year is Chelsea. Could get CL football just by doing that if City drop out.

United on track for 72 based on our ppg under Solskjaer last season but even ignoring that we were only 4 pts behind you which isn't much.

As of now, I'd argue its a coin flip between Arsenal, United, and Leicester for 4th.

What business each side does over the next 4 weeks will prove decisive. If we get Ole a few big signings, say Maguire, SMS, and Bruno then we'll edge it. If we waste time and just end up with Longstaff while you sign Zaha and a new CB, you'll get it. If both of us **** up, Leicester are very close IMO and could pounce.
  • Keano
    13431 posts Has That Special Something
    Keano wrote: »
    I won't be happy if Pogba stays, but to give credit (if you can call it that), he did turn up to Pre season. it just didn't help the new challenge comment whilst his agent obviously is then spouting this & that around as per. It feels like the Rooney thing (if he stays) both times he said he wanted to leave. Rooney didn't want to leave he just saw the investment & proper footballing decisions weren't there over the commercial side & money making.

Personally wouldn't give him 400k, but he's already on 300? So I feel it'll prob be 400kish if we did sign anew deal, but whatever happens if he stays... he'd best sort himself out, shut up & do his talking on the pitch.

To me he's either;

Spoke to soon & the offers from the clubs he expected to come in arn't up to what we want, so the move may not happen... so he's a bit like oh ****.

or he made his comments to force the hand of the owners to invest in the team, otherwise he would look for a move.

Not sure which one, but if it's the latter & he's proven right (as rooney was), then it'll all be forgiven, but i expect him to put performances that're consistent on the pitch.

I wouldn't either and this is a prime example of why you shouldn't be offering these ridiculous wages right out the gates. Pogba is already on 280k... he wasn't even on 100k at Juve when we signed him. Now we've got Rashford and Martial on 200-250k... it's absurd because when it inevitably comes time for contract talks again, you've now dug yourself in a hole and our wage books are going to be wild. None of those three are worth the wages they are currently on. I understand why they offered Pogba that much ultimately to get him to United, but now we are in the situation now where if we offer him a new contract, he's going to be around 400k if not more when he absolutely doesn't deserve that.

Agreed. If pogba was like we know he could be for 3/4 of the season, then i wouldn't be saying anything, but yeah... his performances arn't all there & at times the attitude isn't either (I suppose the same could be said with Martial).

I'm a bit over being angry & wanting Pogba to the reserves, it is what it is & this is just the way football works now Money is the most important thing etc... be it for transfers, contracts or profits.

Football is very fickle, something like this get back on the pitch & do well & be supported again, but that's because the fans are emotionally invested in it & they'll support you whatever the score when the team is trying, that's the thing with Pogba.. be it due to media agenda or stats/what we see.. the fans don't feel he's 100% trying.
  • finsfan85
    12450 posts Has That Special Something
  • RayS
    25714 posts Player of the Year
    edited July 11
    finsfan85 wrote: »

I always take those types of statements with a huge grain of salt lol

If Fred really has a breakout second season though, itd be one of the best things for us. Hes got for the talent and energy.
  • Wyojasond
    11620 posts Has That Special Something

Have to agree with this. Wasnt like he was injured most of the season....he was just crap 😂

Still might be a player there, but he had plenty of chances to stake his claim.
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class
    edited July 11

Have to agree with this. Wasnt like he was injured most of the season....he was just crap 😂

1 dubious point doesn't negate the rest of them though.
  • finsfan85
    Apollo wrote: »

But what has James shown to be considered a “diamond in the rough”? The fact that he can run fast?
  • Wyojasond

I could argue a few. Fred, Rashford has to prove he can stay healthy, no guarantees with Greenwood, and squad fitness. James blew them all away at the first training....you have some talented players, that shouldn’t happen 🤷‍♂️
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class

But what has James shown to be considered a “diamond in the rough”? The fact that he can run fast?

Given that you're actually asking a question and not trolling, I have no issue responding.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but for instance in Wales' 2 games a little while ago he was their best player on the pitch. Seen him a couple of other times as well and he looks decent. So he has shown some promise even in the little I've seen of him. Couple that with the fact that we desperately need a right winger and it's a positive thing that we've got a winger in for low risk when you consider the price we paid for him. We're taking a punt on his potential, and a lot of us are very much looking forward to seeing how he does
  • RayS

I could argue a few. Fred, Rashford has to prove he can stay healthy, no guarantees with Greenwood, and squad fitness. James blew them all away at the first training....you have some talented players, that shouldn’t happen 🤷‍♂️

The guy just said "positives vs last season," not "we are winning the treble."

Positives are there, but still work to be done. If there are no more signings (seriously doubt it) I'd be pretty upset at the start of the season.
  • finsfan85

Given that you're actually asking a question and not trolling, I have no issue responding.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but for instance in Wales' 2 games a little while ago he was their best player on the pitch. Seen him a couple of other times as well and he looks decent. So he has shown some promise even in the little I've seen of him. Couple that with the fact that we desperately need a right winger and it's a positive thing that we've got a winger in for low risk when you consider the price we paid for him. We're taking a punt on his potential, and a lot of us are very much looking forward to seeing how he does

But James is a LW that has spent very little time on the right. If I recall correctly, that was exactly what you all did not want.
  • Wyojasond
    RayS wrote: »

The guy just said "positives vs last season," not "we are winning the treble."

Positives are there, but still work to be done. If there are no more signings (seriously doubt it) I'd be pretty upset at the start of the season.

Fair enough.
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class

He blew them away fitness wise at the start of preseason. By the end of it the rest of the squad's fitness should be right up there. We knew the squad had poor fitness after they crashed after a few weeks of pressing under Ole last season. Ole is working them hard to rectify that so they can sustain it
  • Keano

Whether you want him to leave or not is irrelevant, always great when footballers do things like that. Good on him

He's a proper professional, never gave up even when others did down tools etc... just his legs have gone.
    TakeItSlow wrote: »

Arsenal achieved 70 points in a transition season without Bellerin and Holding for the main part of the season. Only team you're going to realistically chase down this year is Chelsea. Could get CL football just by doing that if City drop out.

So you believe we can't chase you down?

I mean considering we could've been top 4 if we didn't completely f up our last 2 games vs relegated sides, i find that hard to believe.
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class

But James is a LW that has spent very little time on the right. If I recall correctly, that was exactly what you all did not want.

He has played on the right though and is a genuine winger, not someone shifted out there like Lingard or Mata. He has said publicly that he's very comfortable playing on the right and he's young enough that RW can be his preferred position going forward if that's where Ole sees his future being at
  • Keano

I'd say Bale & Woodburn massively let him down with not finishing their chances in those 2 games, he was putting in decent balls & plays, just Bale & woodburn either for being selfish or couldn't find their feet couldn't put them away.

• Apollo
    15058 posts World Class
    edited July 11
    Keano wrote: »

I'd say Bale & Woodburn massively let him down with not finishing their chances in those 2 games, he was putting in decent balls & plays, just Bale & woodburn either for being selfish or couldn't find their feet couldn't put them away.

Yeah he created some good opportunities, was a definite threat when Wales' abysmal midfield on the day actually managed to get the ball to him. He's definitely got potential. Could have easily had a couple of assists if Bale and Wilson had taken their chances, a goal too if Bale (I think it was) passed a golden opportunity to him like you say
  • Kellnerr
    2598 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 11
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    lets be clear, what pogba said was bad but if he stays and performs great people will forget all about it

again, people need to remember, ronaldo said he was a slave when he didnt get his madrid move and rooney said the club lacked ambition :lol: (under fergie), both stayed and fans forgot it when they scored a goal

Tbh, it's easier to forgive if things go well. You were an absolute elite club back then, winning much silverware. Now you are struggling and people will make him the scapegoat again I'd imagine.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This James is a LW can't play RW thing needs to change.Many players move about especially at his age and his playstyle is a Winger not a drifting playmaker or inside forward he can adapt very fast due to his style. it's not like we just shoehorning a ST or CAM out there. He has played RW/LW and largely plays similar(LW he cuts inside from a wide position with the ball a bit more) by running wide and getting low crosses in. Left or Right foot he is equally good. Diamond in the rough as in the fact he is still learning with game time and improving at a rapid rate. Them Wales games he was the key player after Giggs came to terms that a greedy Bale wasn't and tried to get the system to work for him. I want to dampen expectations but the rise is clear for anyone who has seen games over time.
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class
    This James is a LW can't play RW thing needs to change.Many players move about especially at his age and his playstyle is a Winger not a drifting playmaker or inside forward he can adapt very fast due to his style. it's not like we just shoehorning a ST or CAM out there. He has played RW/LW and largely plays similar(LW he cuts inside from a wide position with the ball a bit more) by running wide and getting low crosses in. Left or Right foot he is equally good. Diamond in the rough as in the fact he is still learning with game time and improving at a rapid rate. Them Wales games he was the key player after Giggs came to terms that a greedy Bale wasn't and tried to get the system to work for him. I want to dampen expectations but the rise is clear for anyone who has seen games over time.

100%. Said similar a few posts above yours. He's a genuine winger who has played on both sides, has actively said he's happy playing on the right as well and is young enough to make RW his position long term if that's where Ole wants to play him.
  • forearms
    4828 posts National Call-Up

It's possible to see players improve after settling. Just look at a couple other Brazilians: Firmino, and Fabinho. Both took a little time to realize their PL potential. Both are now established, very good PL players.

Hopefully the same may happen with Fred. If it does, it would genuinely be like a new signing.
  • WelshWizard
    731 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 11

To counter the negativity not win the treble :D and all points are valid with caveats.
    1/ Loving the moaning about running.
    2/ Best defensive RB in Europe Top 5 Leagues.
    3/ See my last post
    4/ "Mason is due a breakthrough" "Mason will definitely play more games" - Ole
    5/ Clear he was playing through injuries and looked impacted because of it.
    6/ Fred showed signs but was inconsistent and made wrong decisions it wasn't like it was 100% he so bad get him out the club. if it was a settling in period, which is the case for many it could feel like a new signing.
    7/Lindelof has grown and is widely consider our best CB as he takes the leading cover role of managing the line.
    8/Carried by Hazard is an understatement but it's exciting they will finally put their investment in youth to use.
    9/Same old mentally weak Arsenal. I thought our defence was bad :D Meh Midfield and Attack is their best position but will splashing all their money on Zaha and wingers and Spurs are prefered in targets they rival :D . They have no money and no players worth much they want rid of, Saliba will be loaned straight back as well. Being an Arsenal fan is depressing enough to start with never mind this mess. #WengerIn
  • RayS
    Anyone picking up the new kits for this season?
  • Keano

Got last years but don't generally pick them up as much anymore. if i get it for my birthday then that's cool, but i've put both some retro shirts & this seasons lower down the list of things i'd want etc.... wouldn't go & buy it myself.
  • Ahmer50x
    18283 posts World Class

Im thinking of getting the home kit with Rashford on it but waiting till we get closer to the start of the season to see if we make any more signings.
  • Ahmer50x
    18283 posts World Class

Just a throwaway line in an article about Bruce. No need to take it seriously as an update
  • Apollo
    15058 posts World Class

Just a throwaway line in an article about Bruce. No need to take it seriously as an update

Been looking for the article, thanks.
  • Retro_G
    29291 posts Player of the Year
    Tremendous attitude. <3