Manchester United Football Club

Comments

• Apollo
    11699 posts Has That Special Something
    Mike wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it incompetence, it's unrealistic to get transfers done so quickly. You're the only club in the top 6 to make a signing. Are the rest of the clubs in the top 6 incompetent? I'm sure the managers of them clubs want all their business done before preseason as well

We're going through a rebuild. You, Spurs and Liverpool aren't, Chelsea are transfer banned. We want approximately 5 signings, around a similar number leaving. Huge turnover in the squad means the players need time in preseason to gel playing together. That's why Ole wanted it done by July 1st. Time is crucial when you're going through a rebuild, and the club have only managed 1 transfer, and have spent weeks negotiating for AWB with derisory offers. It is incompetence .
    Rebuild or not, transfers take time. It'll be unreasonable for Ed to just have a scattergun approach and just pay the asking price right off the bat. It's easy to call it incompetence when you don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure there are lots of hoops that need to be jumped through in order to get a £50-£60 million signing across the line also

I do get the point you're making, but some of that time can be reduced if you don't waste a chunk of it by starting with ridiculous offers. Of course Ed/Judge want the best deal, but reliable sources confirmed our opening offers for players and its absolutely ridiculous how low they were. You start low yes and work towards the asking price, but not that low that clubs are becoming exasperated at our attempts to make a deal. If we'd have started at something reasonable we'd have definitely shaved some time off these negotiations.

@Ahmer50x What was that article you posted about our ridiculous starting offers for players that clubs are fed up of us as a result?
  • Wyojasond
    10163 posts Has That Special Something
    I feel like it’s going to pick up a lot after July 1st. Seems everyone wants to move things to the next fiscal year.

I know very little about it, but does it have anything to do with Brexit 🤷‍♂️

Bet by July 15th we see most of the top 6 done with there business. Window closes August 8th so a few more weeks to get late deals pushed through. Of course they can always sell til September 2nd.
  • Ahmer50x
    14773 posts Has That Special Something
    I feel like it’s going to pick up a lot after July 1st. Seems everyone wants to move things to the next fiscal year.

I know very little about it, but does it have anything to do with Brexit 🤷‍♂️

Bet by July 15th we see most of the top 6 done with there business. Window closes August 8th so a few more weeks to get late deals pushed through. Of course they can always sell til September 2nd.

Not Brexit related. Just accounting for FFP.

Best example is this Neto-Cillessen swap between Valencia and Barca.

Barca are paying money for Neto now for FY18-19 and then Valencia will pay that exact amount back in a few days for FY19-20 and that helps both clubs FFP-wise.
  • Ahmer50x
    @Ahmer50x What was that article you posted about our ridiculous starting offers for players that clubs are fed up of us as a result?

• ViVaWhom
    7223 posts Big Money Move
    AWB should have been done before U21 euros, there is no doubt about it
  • Ahmer50x

It’s clear he’s Ole’s man and it’s clear City won’t go super high. Just pay the 75m and give the new back 4 time to gel
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    30880 posts National Team Captain
    I wouldn't call it incompetence, it's unrealistic to get transfers done so quickly. You're the only club in the top 6 to make a signing. Are the rest of the clubs in the top 6 incompetent? I'm sure the managers of them clubs want all their business done before preseason as well

I agree.

And in response to a few who responded to your message. Yeah we are going through a rebuild which makes it more frustrating that it’s being slow, but it is what it is. Arsenal, City, and Spurs have been in talks with several players so far this summer and still haven’t signed anyone yet, so you can’t even use the excuse of “them not needing players” (outside of Arsenal)

I think people just need to have a bit more patience. As many pointed out, things are likely to pick up more in July as some of these NT tournaments/games wrap up
  • Ahmer50x

I agree.

And in response to a few who responded to your message. Yeah we are going through a rebuild which makes it more frustrating that it’s being slow, but it is what it is. Arsenal, City, and Spurs have been in talks with several players so far this summer and still haven’t signed anyone yet, so you can’t even use the excuse of “them not needing players” (outside of Arsenal)

I think people just need to have a bit more patience. As many pointed out, things are likely to pick up more in July as some of these NT tournaments/games wrap up

During the season: we'll make signings after the Cardiff game
    After the Cardiff game: we'll make signings once other leagues end
    After all club football ended: we'll make signings after the nations league ends
    After the Nations league ended: we'll make signings before preseason
    Now: we'll make signings in July

I realize there are some potentially legitimate reasons for these delays but the above is why the fanbase are so frustrated. We've seen continental clubs in far better shape spend far faster than we have and we just want a little optimism ahead of a year where we know it's gonna be tough at times.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

I agree.

After all club football ended: we'll make signings after the nations league ends

I realize there are some potentially legitimate reasons for these delays but the above is why the fanbase are so frustrated. We've seen continental clubs in far better shape spend far faster than we have and we just want a little optimism ahead of a year where we know it's gonna be tough at times.

Lmao. Who said any of those? I’ve only ever seen OGS saying he’d like to have things done by July
  • Sellish
    8353 posts League Winner
    75m for Maguire is really poor business.
  • Ahmer50x

I agree.

Lmao. Who said any of those? I’ve only ever seen OGS saying he’d like to have things done by July

That was me trying to explain the thought process of the fanbase. We've rationalized the inaction for the past 6 weeks and now we're days away from the manager's publicly stated target and we've only signed a 15M winger from the Championship. Of course people are upset and worried.

Even if you assume AWB is done, it's taken us 3 weeks a piece to finalize James and AWB so now we've got 44 days till the deadline to handle 4 more incomings (+ you'd assume some outgoings).

Things aren't looking good atm
  • XxRichiexRichxX

I agree.

That was me trying to explain the thought process of the fanbase. We've rationalized the inaction for the past 6 weeks and now we're days away from the manager's publicly stated target and we've only signed a 15M winger from the Championship. Of course people are upset and worried.

Even if you assume AWB is done, it's taken us 3 weeks a piece to finalize James and AWB so now we've got 44 days till the deadline to handle 4 more incomings (+ you'd assume some outgoings).

Things aren't looking good atm

So basically what you're saying is that the fans have set some pretty unrealistic expectations that's repeatedly led to their own disappointment. That's the fanbases own fault imo. The July 1st target is a goal, nothing else more. Given our current situation... did anyone honestly expect that to get met? If so, again, that's your own fault. Considering all the factors, that deadline was NEVER going to get met.

Outside of the squad issue, one of the biggest problems we have as MUFC when it comes to buying players that that clubs know we have money and consistently try and rinse us, while we're trying to get transfers done for reasonable fee's. So sure, for times sake it'd be nice if we just went in and met asking prices just to get thing sdone and move on, but I can completely understand wanting to get proper fee's for transfers. Especially when you see players that we want... get offered to other clubs for a fraction of the fee that those clubs demanded of us.

Your article that you shared claimed that Swansea were "stunned" (LOL) but our 10m initial offer...because that was "half their valuation" for the player, and we managed to settle on 15m... first of all that seems hilarious that they were "stunned" but that offer if true, but it also shows that through negotiations they we got him for less than apparently what they valued the player as.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Sellish wrote: »
    75m for Maguire is really poor business.

1000000% Imagine paying the same, if not more, for Maguire... than what LFC paid for VVD...
  • Ahmer50x
    I back Ole. 10m should not be the thing that separates us getting his first choice CB vs his second.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited June 26
    I back Ole. 10m should not be the thing that separates us getting his first choice CB vs his second.

He's not even worth 65m....

Meanwhile Arsenal are getting quoted like 28m for Izzo who's arguably better than Maguire, at the very least just as good... but I guess he's not "prem proven" (LOL, I sincerely hate that myth)
    Post edited by XxRichiexRichxX on
  • Gervonta
    3591 posts National Call-Up

Meanwhile Arsenal are getting quoted like 28m for Izzo who's arguably better than Maguire, at the very least just as good... but I guess he's not "prem proven" (LOL, I sincerely hate that myth)

Mustafi looked good in Italy and Spain and look how he’s turned out , sometimes you need to go prem proven when you’re in a position like ours.

If you’ve already got top quality centre backs you can afford to try abroad for cheaper and if it doesn’t work out you’ve still got top quality to make up for it.

If for example we brought izzo for 28m and he flopped we then have to rely upon smalling , Jones or rojo to partner lindelof for the season, that’s something none of us want.

• Kman
    2607 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lol so is the latest we still offering £35m rising to to £50m for AWB true?
  • Gervonta
    3591 posts National Call-Up
    Kman wrote: »
    Lol so is the latest we still offering £35m rising to to £50m for AWB true?

Latest I read was £42.5m + add-ons taking it to £50million in total for the deal.

Honestly , I wouldn’t even mind taking advice from SAF and appointing Walsh as DOF , anyone who can actually sort out deals and get them sorted would be great, pointless having an ex player with no experience because they’ll just become yes men for woodward.

3 weeks it’s took us to negotiate with palace and we still haven’t agreed a fee :lol:
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    416 posts Sunday League Hero
    Gervonta wrote: »

Mustafi looked good in Italy and Spain and look how he’s turned out , sometimes you need to go prem proven when you’re in a position like ours.

If you’ve already got top quality centre backs you can afford to try abroad for cheaper and if it doesn’t work out you’ve still got top quality to make up for it.

If for example we brought izzo for 28m and he flopped we then have to rely upon smalling , Jones or rojo to partner lindelof for the season, that’s something none of us want.
    That’s why Everton let Mustafi go years ago.
  • Apollo
    Pughy30 wrote: »

Thank **** for that. Finally this time :relieved:
  • Apollo
    Simon Stone retweeted it as well :relieved:
  • Apollo
    Love getting some promising transfer news in the morning. Nothing like some good news to start the day :blush:

• XxRichiexRichxX
    edited June 26
    Gervonta wrote: »

I understand that but you can list several examples of PL team to PL team transfers that have ultimately failed. Ultimately it comes down to pressure more often than not. Most strong CB’s don’t have any issues in the PL. it’s the weaker ones that tend to struggle to adjust.

And I wasn’t suggesting we go after Izzo, it was more of an example of how we would be massively overpaying for an overrated CB.

Also, Everton let Mustafi go years ago presumably because they thought he wasn’t good enough for the PL, and he was never that great in Italy or Spain, he was decent at best. I don’t recall any other top teams going in for him when Arsenal signed him.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    edited June 26
    I’m not sure of the source but seen a couple of reports suggesting we may trigger Ben Yedders release clause once Lukaku’s sale is finalized. I would absolutely love that.

EDIT. just saw I think the original source was ABC de Sevilla so it’s probably bogus. But for 36m release clause, I’d happy take YBY to rotate with Rashford.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Love that we’ve kept the sell on clause for Zaha’s contract as well
  • Sellish
    8353 posts League Winner
    Finally!
  • Ahmer50x
    Buzzing.

Let’s get it done today so Ed can start on Bruno tomorrow
  • Ahmer50x
    edited June 26
    Well, 3 weeks of negotiating got Ed 5m converted to bonuses and kept the Zaha clause so atleast we got something for all that effort