Sc Heerenveen | Diederik Boonstra | Game of the Season: Ajax at home

Comments

• DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Squad information
    SvrKwMi.jpg

I posted the squad so you can see who are the players of SC Heerenveen.
    Next: starting eleven and first matches of the Eredivisie!
  • Ashy
    11090 posts Has That Special Something
    Great backstory you done with the manager there, shades of Nagelsmann may I say. Hopefully he does well with the players he has I can see a potential new arrival in the top 4 sides of thr Eredivise! Cool to see you go into the backroom people it gives us a better picture of the whole thing
  • DB1512
    Here are the line-up and tactics we will use most games.
    RWlflhs.jpg
  • DB1512
    edited November 2019
    Additionally, we played our first matche of the season.

PIjSo9u.jpg
    Boonstra: ''An excellent start of the season. I have seen a lot of great things, but also some points we have to improve. In possesion, we have made some beautifull combinations and scored good goals. When Heracles had the ball we tend to make the wrong decision and we lacked concentration in front of our own goal. Botman and Dresevic are getting to know eachother better every day and we are working on their mutual communication. During our next game, at home against Feyenoord, we cannot provide our opponent with the chances we gave Heracles today.''
  • DB1512
    In our second match we play against Feyenoord.
    BgXzbRL.jpg
    Boonstra: ''We failed to stop the upcoming people from Feyenoord's midfield. Additionally, we did not create much. After Dreyer replaced Odgaard, we created more chances. Dreyer is not a real striker, but in this case it confused the defenders of Feyenoord. It is no shame to lose against Feyenoord, but I believe we could have earned a point if we were a bit more focused. Against FC Emmen we have to be sharper if we want to grab another three points.''
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    A great start with the away win followed up by a really tough home game against Feyenoord
  • exercisebike
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Great first result but would be disappointing to then drop points at home, even if it was against one of the league’s strongest teams.
  • Danimal5981
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    It fits in the expectations of ending 5th to 9th (which is where I expect you to end)
    it's fair to think Ajax, PSV, AZ and Feyenoord are too far fetched, Vitesse and Utrecht possibly as well.
    But you're in the fight with Twente, Heracles and Groningen behind that, so getting a 1-4 win at Almelo is good.
  • Stlducks
    2180 posts Fans' Favourite
    Balanced start to the season. Losing to Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord are expected at this point but it is good to see the team fight for a close match.
  • DB1512
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    A great start with the away win followed up by a really tough home game against Feyenoord
    Great first result but would be disappointing to then drop points at home, even if it was against one of the league’s strongest teams.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Balanced start to the season. Losing to Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord are expected at this point but it is good to see the team fight for a close match.

We had some big trouble stopping the attacks of Feyenoord and were not able to create many chances. They were just better than us and the score could have been bigger if Hahn did not safe us a couple times. Right now we are not good enough to beat a team like Feyenoord.
    It fits in the expectations of ending 5th to 9th (which is where I expect you to end)
    it's fair to think Ajax, PSV, AZ and Feyenoord are too far fetched, Vitesse and Utrecht possibly as well.
    But you're in the fight with Twente, Heracles and Groningen behind that, so getting a 1-4 win at Almelo is good.

I agree, the teams you mention as too far fetched are much better than us. If we manage to finish 5th we have a hell of a season I would say, do you know if the play-offs for the Europa League are in game? Makes it way more interesting to battle for spot 5-8.
  • Danimal5981
    No Eredivisie play-offs in the game, unfortunately.
    It's top 4 or the Cup, 5th if the Cup belongs to another from the Top 4
  • DB1512
    o5jqpJg.jpg
    Boonstra: ''This is a harsh result, but again the same type of mistake were made. Both during the first and last minutes of the game we were not focused enough. After Emmen's opener, we were the better side but failed to create a lot of shots on target. Thanks to Odgaard and Halilovic, we took the lead but in the end we only get one point.''
  • Danimal5981
    Last year's Wisła Kraków striker hitting you right before the end... ouch.
  • DB1512
    No Eredivisie play-offs in the game, unfortunately.
    It's top 4 or the Cup, 5th if the Cup belongs to another from the Top 4

Well in that case we have a really difficult task ahead of us to qualify for the Europa League, the Dutch Cup is the shortest path to Europe so lets have a successfull cup run💪
  • DB1512
    CEFn5hy.jpg
    A week ago, Heerenveen lost three points against FC Emmen and now it turned defeat into victory in the last ten minutes of the game. Chidera Ejuke became the big man in Friesland with two late goals.
    Ejuke: ''It's great to help the team with these goals. After last week, we talked a lot about keeping our focus during the last phase of the game and today you saw what the result is. With seven points after four games we have a solid start and we can make it an excellent start if we defeat Fortuna Sittard next week.''
  • exercisebike
    Win your home games and draw your away games and you’ll do well. Looks like a solid foundation for the rest of the season.
  • DB1512
    d2Z7kwL.jpg
    Faik (captain): ''I believe this is a bit of an unfair result because we were the better side. Chidi scored a great goal that gaves us the lead, but only a couple minutes later we concede a goal after we let them play to easily. After the equalizer they retried and we create enough chances to earn our third victory of the season. Two wins, two draws and a loss against Feyenoord is not bad but it feels like we deserved more, a feeling we also had after the Emmen game. In the end Joey (Veerman) makes a stupid foul and receives a red card, so he misses the Ajax game. Joey is a talented young player and dictates the play very easy, but today he kind of lost his control with that tackle.''
  • WestardLord
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Not bad results so far, though the poor performance and card against Sittard should hopefully be an isolated incident.
  • DB1512
    All the August games are played, now is the time to look back at the first month of Diederik Boonstra at SC Heerenveen.
    x4Eyzda.jpg
  • exercisebike
    A good start but looks like the hardest game of the season coming up next. What’s the table look like?
  • DB1512
    At the moment we're 8th, just behind Vitesse, Utrecht and Feyenoord. Ajax, PSV and AZ remain ubeaten after the first five matches.
  • DB1512
    UZyfwwD.jpg
    Boonstra: ''In the first half we showed what we're up to. Of course Ajax had the ball and controlled possesion, but we didn't allow much goalthreat to them. Only at the opener of Huntelaar we were not paying attention at all and sadly that's a problem that returns often to us. After that goal, we tried to counter quickly after we won the ball and we managed to create two big chances thanks to Jens Odgaard. Van Rhijn's attempt on the post and Ejuke's one on one chance could have brought us more but we were not clinical enough. In the second half Ajax doubled the margin quit quickly and then it was pretty much over. With the debut of Diogo Neves we tried to bring young energy, but it didn't help and we even had to concede another goal.''

One of the bright sides of the match was the debute of academy player Diogo Neves:
    8UycEUI.jpg
    Neves: ''I'm very happy I have made my debut at Heerenveen. I couldn't turn the tide, but I have a good feeling about what I displayed. I feel most comfortable as a striker, but I could also play on the wings, it will depend on the manager where he will need me but I'm ready and hoping for more minutes.''
  • DB1512
    V5aNf8O.jpg
    Bruijn: ''I'm very happy to score my first goal for Heerenveen and in general the minutes Boonstra gives me on the pitch. We were a bit lucky with the opener (Janssen pushed a cross of Ejuke into his own net) but overall we were the better team. After my goal, we lost our focus a bit and gave them the opportunity to return in the game. We have had the best chances to decide the game but failed to score the third goal but in the end it doesn't matter because we closed our defensive line very well.''
  • Stlducks
    2180 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good bounce back win after the Ajax defeat. Neves looks like he has plenty of potential, will be interesting to see how he develops.
  • exercisebike
    Games against teams like Utrecht are the important ones, but it’s a shame you couldn’t get closer to Ajax. It sounds like you missed a couple of big opportunities.
  • DB1512
    At the moment, Ajax is just from a different league in the Eredivisie. I think their second team would simply outclass every team in the Eredivisie except PSV and AZ. We did miss some big opportunities, but on the otherside the possesion stats were like 70-30 in Ajax's favor. We have a long road ahead of us if we want to compete with them.

Now other news, I'm not really happy with my only pure striker.
    uZEQEJg.jpg
  • exercisebike
    Interesting change to make and can’t be good for the player’s confidence to be dropped, but hopefully you get a reaction. Perhaps Odgaard was contributing in other ways. Does he have any assists?
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm intrigued to know how long until the manager feels that Diogo is ready for the first team. Maybe he is right that only having one other strike is to much pressure
  • DB1512
    edited November 2019
    Interesting change to make and can’t be good for the player’s confidence to be dropped, but hopefully you get a reaction. Perhaps Odgaard was contributing in other ways. Does he have any assists?

His only contribution so far was his penalty goal against Emmen, no assists so far.

cr9SOmW.jpg
    Boonstra: ''It's sad to lose this game, but I'm positive about the way we played. Halilovic played very well as a central forward and rewarded himself with two great goals. In the defensive line we need to become more clever, we make to many sloppy mistakes and this time it cost us the match. Despite Halilovic his good performance as deepest man, there were still some moments the other forwards and he didn't understand eachother well. I believe this connection will grow in the upcoming matches, Halilovic will keep his position the next matches.''
  • exercisebike
    Looks like you’ve solved the striking problem but created a problem at the back. Conceding three goals to Venlo is concerning.