Will EA pull the plug?

Trux
92 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I think this section of the forums will be quieter than ever before this year. It seems most people that liked cm in the past have moved onto PES as it has better realism for offline gameplay. Is FIFA cm officially dead now? Will EA remove the mode altogether do you think? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Acidvenus
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    A lot of people seem to like ultimate team but I don't think career mode is dead.and as much as I'm determined to play more UT this year I wouldn't buy the game without career mode, I love the mode!
    I think a lot of people that complain don't play on an appropriate setting. I have it challenging and after a few games I'll change some sliders etc if I'm getting too many perfect shots for example.
    It's genuinely a realistic and good experience, with the right settings you can see where your tactics are failing. Changing a player instruction can make all the difference.
    It's also not just the big teams that are difficult, I like how form seems to matter (or maybe it's just me). I slaughtered man utd which I found odd but their form was LLD, whereas Everton was a real challenge but their form was WWW.

I think people just need to adjust it to a challenge to appreciate it more. I could play on a lower difficulty and not move sliders and win every cup in season one and claim it's boring and easy. But you know what normally happens is I struggle to qualify for Europe in my first season, I may win one of the cups in the second while finishing in the top 3. I've even gone 4 years into a career mode without a title... Because I changed all the settings to make it a challenge!
  • TomAuk
    100 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    i only buy fifa for career mode, its got a big player base, not many people are active on the forums at the start as they are too busy smashing the game. Also at the start people tend to focus on UT 1st.
  • Pwalie86
    1336 posts Professional
    They've started to focus more on career mode now. The senior game designer of career mode says that there are big features coming in the future. And they've got quite a big team that are working on it.

Next year could be good. This year they have added more than what they usually do. There's so much to fix that they can't do it all in a year. That's their fault for leaving it go stale which is what they kind of admitted so it looks like they're trying to get more people to play it again.

More cutscenes I reckon, with other changes that will keep it interesting for much longer. Plus with the arrival of new consoles next year, it's come at the right time. PS5 and Xbox Scarlett are going to be very capable machines. So much more power than current gen.
  • Nakusin
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Pwalie86 wrote: »
    They've started to focus more on career mode now. The senior game designer of career mode says that there are big features coming in the future. And they've got quite a big team that are working on it.

Next year could be good. This year they have added more than what they usually do. There's so much to fix that they can't do it all in a year. That's their fault for leaving it go stale which is what they kind of admitted so it looks like they're trying to get more people to play it again.

More cutscenes I reckon, with other changes that will keep it interesting for much longer. Plus with the arrival of new consoles next year, it's come at the right time. PS5 and Xbox Scarlett are going to be very capable machines. So much more power than current gen.

This... Plus I believe I read that the developers (more specifically the coders) created a tool-set which will now allow those in other non-coding roles the ability to actually develop the mode some-what, I think it was implied that in the past the coders had to code in everything in career mode themselves meaning very limited time was focused on it where as now with a tool-set allowing wider changes to be made by others whom aren't coders will allow more focus & development to go in to it. Hopefully I interpreted the meaning right & that is the case.
  • Pwalie86
    1336 posts Professional
    I think I read what you read and they did mention a toolset. They did say there will be big changes coming as well, so I'm positive for a more revamped career mode in the next couple of years. I've hated on EA for not touching career mode properly this generation for 5 years now. I also was unimpressed with career mode back in the PS3 days.

What you said about people in non-coded roles could be true. But Alex the senior game designer said they have quite a large team that's actually dedicated to career mode just like they have a dedicated FUT team and now a VOLTA team.

Career mode in Fifa 20 may run a little stale after a while, but the changes this year are quite good even though it's not completely overhauled. Plus I believe with new consoles next year it's sort of a fresh start.
  • Daviddt86
    87 posts Park Captain
    I think I read what you read and they did mention a toolset. They did say there will be big changes coming as well, so I'm positive for a more revamped career mode in the next couple of years. I've hated on EA for not touching career mode properly this generation for 5 years now. I also was unimpressed with career mode back in the PS3 days.

What you said about people in non-coded roles could be true. But Alex the senior game designer said they have quite a large team that's actually dedicated to career mode just like they have a dedicated FUT team and now a VOLTA team.

Career mode in Fifa 20 may run a little stale after a while, but the changes this year are quite good even though it's not completely overhauled. Plus I believe with new consoles next year it's sort of a fresh start.

What do we have with that info NOW??
    I want A good game this year.

• Pwalie86
    1336 posts Professional
    You're absolutely right. They've let it get into this state and as someone that's watched the career mode news release for years now and I have been left completely disappointed. They're totally to blame for pretty much abandoning it and I still question if it's worth buying this year.

But, it's finally turning a corner. Yes it may not be this year, but at least they are now going to finally fix it and it can't all be done in a year. It pretty much has to be scrapped and started again. Plus there's so many bugs that need fixing.

This time next year will be when that info will come to light. I'm sure of it.
  • Nakusin

I agree... I wonder about the large team dedicated to career mode, not that it is large now but is that a statement that is only true now? I mean if it's true say over the past few years for example, well you've said it yourself how disappointing it's been. A large team should be truly ashamed if that's the progress they've made unless the larger team has only now been assembled.

I wonder if this is in part a push for next gen, with PS5 & Project Scarlett due in roughly 1-2 years (apparently) I'm wondering if this increase in career mode activity is in part an off-shoot of them starting from the ground up for those consoles.

Simply put however I'm looking forward to hopefully a more progressive career mode finally, it's the mode I play the most.
  • MOES98
    172 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    At least they're trying very hard to make the career mode players pull the plug. The starting XI bug, that they specifically told they had fixed in the pitch notes, but it turned out they had lied to us and just made it 100x times worse, and straight out unplayable. I mean who wants to play a Career Mode, where the topteams are playing with a lineup off nearly almost 60 rated players, and finishing in the bottom of the table, while teams as Brighton are winning the Premier League. Not me at least. just hope i can get my money bag, if it isnt fixed.

• Pwalie86
    1336 posts Professional
    Nakusin wrote: »

I agree... I wonder about the large team dedicated to career mode, not that it is large now but is that a statement that is only true now? I mean if it's true say over the past few years for example, well you've said it yourself how disappointing it's been. A large team should be truly ashamed if that's the progress they've made unless the larger team has only now been assembled.

I wonder if this is in part a push for next gen, with PS5 & Project Scarlett due in roughly 1-2 years (apparently) I'm wondering if this increase in career mode activity is in part an off-shoot of them starting from the ground up for those consoles.

Simply put however I'm looking forward to hopefully a more progressive career mode finally, it's the mode I play the most.

I also play career mode the most. For the past decade or so it's pretty much all I have played.

I think the team is rather new, as I'm sure in the past I've heard a few rumours that were not a lot of resources put into the career mode which is not surprising. Think it was just a few people working on it, they do now have a large dedicated team so it means they can really start to make changes that will really push the game mode into the spotlight.

Xbox Scarlett is already confirmed for next winter, and you have to believe PS5 will be out at the same time.

If they are starting from the ground up for next year then I'm already hyped. Because they'll have been working on it for a while, but I don't believe it will be the finished article next year. If it's only being developed for the new consoles then they have some serious hardware to work with.

These consoles will easily be the biggest generational leap we've ever seen. I think the PS5 is rumoured to be 4-5x more powerful than PS4. And Frostbite will still power Fifa I think, but it'll be miles better than what we have now. Check out the Frostbite hair tech demo for next-gen.
  • Nakusin
    I also play career mode the most. For the past decade or so it's pretty much all I have played.

I think the team is rather new, as I'm sure in the past I've heard a few rumours that were not a lot of resources put into the career mode which is not surprising. Think it was just a few people working on it, they do now have a large dedicated team so it means they can really start to make changes that will really push the game mode into the spotlight.

Xbox Scarlett is already confirmed for next winter, and you have to believe PS5 will be out at the same time.

If they are starting from the ground up for next year then I'm already hyped. Because they'll have been working on it for a while, but I don't believe it will be the finished article next year. If it's only being developed for the new consoles then they have some serious hardware to work with.

These consoles will easily be the biggest generational leap we've ever seen. I think the PS5 is rumoured to be 4-5x more powerful than PS4. And Frostbite will still power Fifa I think, but it'll be miles better than what we have now. Check out the Frostbite hair tech demo for next-gen.

I read the same in the past however it's been a couple of years since I've been on the forum properly, so I've not kept up to date with everything.

I did see about Xbox Scarlett being released next year, PS5, well it depends, PS3 was after the Xbox 360 & pricier, so it took time to get the marketshare they liked, PS4 was much closer to Xbox One, it'd make sense to do so again as you say.

In the past, like years ago obviously when they developed for next-gen consoles at the time (I believe PS3/Xbox 360) the features they created primarily for those still got ported (albeit usually in a lesser way) to the previous generation, I'm wondering if that's sort of what's happening here, it seems like it's two possibilities, they created assets for The Journey & finally used them to improve career mode or they're developing a more in-depth feature of morale/press conferences, etc & created a more watered down version to release now to test how it's received, what needs changing, etc... Possibly it's both, they used the assets of The Journey or... I'm simply wrong, they're just now pressing on with career mode & we can still look forward to changes & improvements, finally.

True, to be fair with the consoles ageing as they are, it's not difficult to be much more powerful, PS5 is confirmed to have a third generation Ryzen, my PC has a Ryzen 1800X which is a first generation 8-core Ryzen obviously... The PS5 will have it more customized, the graphics being 8K capable however is what really tells you about the power of the console, especially once you add ray-tracing on top of that... Same with Xbox, 8K with ray-tracing or even 4K @ 120Hz can make the majority of PC's cry currently. So yea exciting possibilities!
  • Pwalie86
    1336 posts Professional
    I just hope they build more on press conferences and the player dialogue in the future. As well of course new features that really change the mode and give it that sort of feel that it'll take much longer to become repetive.

It's the porting to PS5 that I get a little worried about, as some career mode features even in Fifa 20 are from the PS3 era, like the really bland news articles and even pretty much the menu design itself. Heck, even generic stadiums could be ported from PS3 to PS5. I want to believe it will be totally overhauled and heading in a new direction, but this is EA afterall.

When the consoles came out in 2013 it was as if we'd gone from PS4 to Pro as nothing changed apart from it looking better.

Though as you state that they're now pressing on with career mode, it's better than being left wondering if it'll even be touched at all next year. To know that they're starting to finally take it seriously is better than being left out in the cold for most of this generation.

Oh yea I'm looking forward to ray tracing. I hope it's used in Fifa. I've seen various pictures and videos on how it affects lighting in games.