Cristian Chivu: Making the step into first team management

Comments

• Ashy
    11090 posts Has That Special Something
    I know absolutely nothing about this league or team or even manager haha, so good luck to you, I'm assuming the top team qualifies for UCL then the other 3 are in Europa League?
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ashy wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about this league or team or even manager haha, so good luck to you, I'm assuming the top team qualifies for UCL then the other 3 are in Europa League?

I'm not sure how it works on fifa but I presume thats how it works. My aim his season is top three. Hopefully get an update up tomorrow
  • JoshDFC
    VNtaHpJ.png

Universitatea Craiova have confirmed that Elvir Koljic, Ivan Martic and Nicusor Bancu have all signed new deals. Martic and Bancu were both in the final years of their deals and despite signing a new contract, club captain Nicusor Bancu is still expected to leave the club either in January or in the summer with a host of Italian teams being linked with the attacking fullback. Elvir Koljic has penned a one year extension on his contract until 2022 to repay the faith the club have shown in him after his injuries last season.

Cristian Chivu had this to say on the extensions “We are delighted that all three players have signed new deals with the club. All three players have started the season in superb form and can now fully concentrate on their football after the speculation linking them with moves away. Nicusor is probably going to leave the club in the summer I can’t deny this, he has bee a fantastic servant for the club and the fact he has signed a new deal to prevent him leaving on a free shows that the club means a lot to him. Elvir is a superb goal scorer, he has the ability to play in any of Europes top leagues but he still has a lot to prove he has to have a season free of injury scoring consistently and then he will probably get himself the move. Ivan in my opinion has been the best player since I joined the club, he is so good both defensively and attacking he is a player who I enjoy managing and I am happy he signed this new deal.
  • Stlducks
    2180 posts Fans' Favourite
    Smart business signing players to extensions before they leave. Nice to see the club and players showing loyalty to each other.
  • JoshDFC
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Smart business signing players to extensions before they leave. Nice to see the club and players showing loyalty to each other.

Wouldn't be surprised to lose Koljic as well in January but the plan is to try and keep him
  • JoshDFC
    DWhK8pV.png

Q: Mihaila came off the bench and scored two goals to secure the team the win. How impressed were you with him today?
    Chivu: It was an impressive performance from him. He is a young player but he is a player we feel has a great future here and we can’t wait to see what this performance does for his confidence

Q: It was a closer game then many anticipated but it was a game where you created chances. Do you feel you should have scored more?
    Chivu: With the chances that we created I feel we probably could have scored one or two more goals. I feel they made things difficult at times and we made mistakes which gave them goals against the run of play.

Q: When they kept pegging you back did you have doubts that you were going to get the win?
    Chivu: The way we were playing I always knew we had the chance to score another goal and Mihaila did that for us in the end.

Valentin Mihaila came off the bench to score two goals and inspire his side to a victory in their match against Voluntari.

Craiova took the lead after eleven minutes Barbuts low cross was met by Markovic whose shot was well saved but the ball bounced off defender Balaur into the path of Koljic who couldn’t miss with the goal gaping. Voluntari were level eight minutes later Costin breaking down the right and into the box he went past Costic before driving in a low cross which found Signorelli who fired into the corner. Craiova retook the lead after thirty five minutes Bancu’s corner was met by Koljic who flicked the ball past the helpless Rimniceanu. Voluntari equalised on the brink of half time a superb ball over the top by Gorobsov set Papazoglou away he took one touch into the box before firing with his left foot across the keeper into the corner. Craiova retook the lead after sixty eight minutes a nice one two between Markovic and Mihaila saw Mihaila break into the box and slot the ball past the keeper. The lead lasted two minutes a silly mistake by Kelic who gave the ball away to Gorobsov who curled an effort in from the edge of the area. Craiova scored the decisive goal with six minutes left, Koljic’s cross being met by Mihaila at the back post unmarked as he headed into the corner.

DVDJ88L.png

Q: The match ended as a draw today, any comments on the match itself?
    Chivu: A draw is never a bad result when your playing a team with the quality that Steaua Bucurest have. I feel it was a very cagey team with neither side really wanting t take to many risks as there was a lot of quality out there who would have punished any mistakes that would have been made

Q: Was the draw the aim today?
    Chivu: No we aim to win all of our matches especially at home but you can’t go out there and be reckless because you will be punished. You can be happy with a draw even if you didn’t play for it and that’s what we are today.

Q: You have drawn five games this season more then any other team, do you see that as a problem?
    Chivu: We aren’t happy at the amount of games we’re drawing obviously but it’s better then losing. I think most of the draws we deserved to win so it is upto us to be a little bit more ruthless
    Steaua Bucuresti and Universitatea Craiova played out a boring 0-0 draw. The best chance of the game fell to Steaua who should have taken the lead when Coman’s corner from the right was met by Gnohere but he headed over from close range. Craiovas best chance came just ten minutes later a great ball by Cicaldau finding Mihaila in the box but he dragged his shot well wide.

zTXs3uX.png

Q: Many would say your team didn’t deserve to win today what are your thoughts on that?
    Chivu: I thought we defended quite well most of their shots were from outside the bx and were comfortable saves for Pigliacelli. We maybe were to patient today with our play but I feel we had the best chances in the match and deserved to win.

Q: That win sees your team move up to fourth in the table, how important is it to get a run of wins going now as your team haven’t managed to win back to back games yet?
    Chivu: It is crucial if we want to try and push on we have to find some consistency. We are still working out the best system with the players we have and I think that’s one of the reasons for the mixed start we don’t know our best formation yet alone best starting eleven.
    Valentin Constantin came off the bench to set up the winning goal as Koljics seventh goal of the season saw Craiova move up to fourth in the table.

Gaz Metan should have taken the lead after sixty three minutes when Kelic brought down Ely in the box, the ref pointing to the spot and showing Kelic a yellow card. Bus stepped up to take it he sent Pigliacelli the wrong way but put his penalty wide. Craiova almost punished the miss ten minutes later a superb run by Martic into the box but he fired just wide. Craiova did punish Gaz Metan for the penalty miss with five minutes left a ball by Martic down the right found Constantin he cut the ball back onto his left foot and crossed to Koljic who headed past Cristea.

nj3Thkr.png

Dinamo Bucuresti (4-1-4-1): Piscitelli, Mihaiu, Ciobotariu, Bejan, Sin, Mrzljak, Sorescu, Nistor, Fabbrini, Moldoveanu, Montini (Popa, 67)
    Craiova (5-2-3): Pigliacelli, Matel, Kelic, Gardos, Balasa, Vatajelu, Matieu, Cicaldau, Constantin, Roman, Mihaila

Q: How comfortable win that sees you into the next round. How impressed were you with your sides performance today?
    Chivu: I was delighted with our performance today, we made a couple of changes and played some players who haven’t had as much game time as they would have liked and I think they really put themselves in the mix for future games.

Q: There was no Bancu in the travelling party. What was the reason for this?
    Chivu: He isn’t the only player not to travel he was being rested he has played a lot of games so we decided he can stay at home. I’m sure he watched the match and was supporting his team mates its an irrelevant question.

Q: Could today’s game gone either way in your opinion?
    Chivu: I don’t know if they score maybe the result would have been different but that’s why you get the best keeper you can and Mirko is the best in Romania by some distance and we are delighted to have him protecting our net.

2ti0SvW.png

Q: You managed to score a late goal today to secure the three pints was luck on your side today?
    Chivu: I think for this goal we are a bit lucky because Koljic has three chances to score from one opportunity because the first is a block, then the keeper makes a save and then he can score but we are happy because we played a very good team and we won.

Q: You managed to come from behind and win the game very late did you ever doubt that it was going to be your day?
    Chivu: I had faith in the team but when your playing a top team it is difficult especially when you go one goal down but we fought back and in the end I feel we deserved to win. This time has a great spirit and I believe we can go along way together.

Q: People have said your teams play style is quite aggressive some say to aggressive what do you say to those people?
    Chivu: I disagree I think we are a team that try to win the ball back but we aren’t overly aggressive this makes us sound like we are a dirty team and we aren’t we play football the right way. Today the referee issued four yellow card in my opinion it should have been two one each but it doesn’t matter we won
    Universitatea Craiova made it three wins in a row and recorded back to back league wins for the first time since Chivu took over the club after coming from behind to beat Viitorul.

In an end to end game the best chances of the first half fell to Viitorul but they were twice denied by Italian keeper Mirko Pigliacelli first denying Achim after he was played through one on one by Eric before tipping Iancu’s vicious volley from the edge of the box wide. It was Iancu who broke the deadlock just after half time when Craiova failed to clear a corner Eric cutting it back to Iancu who took a touch before firing past a helpless Pigliacelli. Craiova equalised with ten minutes left Balasa getting on the end of Bancu’s cross to head over Cojocaru into the far corner. Craiova secured the win in the final minute of normal time Mihaila cutting it back to Koljic who took three attempts before firing past the keeper his first effort was blocked by Ghita his second was well saved before firing in to the empty net with Cojocaru still on the floor from his save.

lKWql1a.png
  • exercisebike
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Some solid results and starting to climb the table.
  • Ashy
    In the top 4 section now very nice, some consistency and getting hard to beat is key for success the top two look miles away from the rest so that will be difficult to catch up
  • Stlducks
    I think it is too hard of a task to catch the leaders but finishing third is there.

How many matches do you play and how many rounds are in the league cup?

I take it you won the last match 2-1?
  • JoshDFC
    Some solid results and starting to climb the table.

Starting to find some consistency and a formation I feel can turn our fortunes
    In the top 4 section now very nice, some consistency and getting hard to beat is key for success the top two look miles away from the rest so that will be difficult to catch up

Turns out top three is Europe but I will change the league when I next update it
    I think it is too hard of a task to catch the leaders but finishing third is there.

How many matches do you play and how many rounds are in the league cup?

I take it you won the last match 2-1?

They have set a relentless pace but in football anything can happen my aim is top three though. Yes we won 2-1 :)
  • JoshDFC
    LTrAV6V.png

Q: Cristi Barbut put in an incredible performance today, what did you make of his display?
    Chivu: He was excellent today he was involved with virtually every attack we had and his two goals were superb but the assist I have to mention because he can shoot and try for his hat trick but the back heel meant Koljic had a better opportunity then him and that shows that he is a team player.

Q: Are you confident you can keep your current run of form going?
    Chivu: Yes I do, we have turned things around in recent weeks not that our start was terrible but now we are playing some excellent stuff but defensively as well we look extraordinary.

Q: Do you have any advise for Politehnica Iasi?
    Chivu: Erm, If their manager wants my advise he can ask for it when we go into my office for a glass of wine but I don’t feel he really wants me poking my nose in his teams affairs.
    Universitatea Craiova’s superb form continued as they beat Politehnica Iasi 3-0 at home thanks to two goals from Barbut and another from Koljic.

Craiova took the lead after sixteen minutes a fantastic counter attack resulted in Qaka playing the ball in behind for Barbut who slotted the ball into the bottom corner. It was 2-0 seven minutes later Cicaldaus shot from the edge of he box was well saved but Rusu got down to make a great save but the ball fell to Barbut who tapped home. It was almost three after sixty three minutes Cicldau playing the ball into the feet of Koljic who did brilliantly to turn and get his shot away but the ball bounced back off the post. Koljic did get himself a goal just six minutes later a superb counter with all three of the forwards linking up Mihailas through ball was met by Barbut who smartly back heeled to Koljic who took a touch before firing into the corner.

eEYNBaf.png

Q: How happy are you with the form of Balasa lately many have highlighted him as your stand out defender?
    Chivu: I am delighted with him, he is a young player who is learning but he is also a very good player now. I feel he has been instrumental to how we have performed as a defensive unit but he also brings the ball out of defence as well

Q: This makes it five wins in a row now, how long can you keep your run of form going?
    Chivu: We want t keep it going for as long as possible, we know it won’t last forever but the fact we have had losses means we know we can bounce back but we are thinking positively

Q: You inflicted Clujs first loss of the season on them. Do you think you could contend for the title this season based on your recent form?
    Chivu: I don’t know about that just yet, we will try of course but Cluj and Steaua both have established themselves at the top of this division for a long time and we don’t want to be up there for one season we want to build a team that can continue to compete.
    CFR Cluj’s unbeaten start to the season is over after Universitatea Craiova beat the league leaders 1-0 thanks to Elvir Koljic’s header on the brink of half time.

It was a cagey affair for most of the match but it was Criaova who created the better chances, the first real chance falling to Qaka who latched on to the end of Cicaldau’s ball over the top but he shot miles wide when he should have hit the target. Criaova did take the lead on the stroke of half time Martic playing the ball down the right to Barbut whose cross was me by Bosnian striker Koljic who headed past Arkauskis. It was Craiova who came closest to scoring again Koljic’s through ball was lastched on to by Barbut his low cross was met by Mihaila but his shot was to close to Arkauskis who saved with his feet.

tGLMbmF.png

Q: Cristian what has changed since this incredible run you are now on?
    Chivu: We have changed formation and we are also now a little bit more direct. When I came in we tried playing a little slower in the tempo trying to have more of the ball in midfield but it doesn’t suit this league I don’t think so we changed it and now we are in incredible form

Q: Do you think your team made it look easy today?
    Chivu: It wasn’t easy, no game is. We respect all of our opponents and will never say that a match is easy but today I feel we enjoyed ourselves and because of that our football was excellent.

Q: You were seen as a massive favourite heading into the game today because f your form does that makes things harder?
    Chivu: I feel the early goal would have really affected their game plan if they wanted to play for a draw I feel that is a dilemma we will face but we have the pace on the wings and the creativity in midfield to break teams down and we did that after they equalised.
    Universitatea Craiova moved up to third in the Liga 1 with a comfortable 3-1 victory at Clinceni.

Criaova got off to a dream start Mihaila’s ball over the top met by Koljic who took a touch before firing in to the corner. Craiova thought they had doubled their lead nine minutes later Cicaldau playing the ball through to Mihaila who crossed for Barbut who fired home but the flag was up for offside on Mihaila. Clinceni equalised against the run of play when Nsiah’s ball in behind caught Cosic sleeping and set Merloi away his shot was saved superbly by Pigliacelli but the ball fell to Buziuc who fired into the empty net. Craiova re took the lead in first half injury time a huge stroke of luck for Mihaila who cut in from the left his initial shot was blocked by the slide challenge of Matei but fell back to him he took a touch before slotting the ball into the corner. Craiova wrapped the game up with six minutes left Martic playing the ball in behind for Barbut his cut back was met by Matieu who fired into the corner.

AYAV61B.png

Voluntari (4-3-3): Rimniceanu, Nica, Armas, Rodriquez, Kocic, Laidouni, Signorelli, Capatina, Costin, Simonovski, Avto
    Craiova (5-2-3): Pigliacelli, Matel, Kelic, Gardos, Ferreira, Vatajelu, Mateiu, Cicaldau, Constantin, Markovic, Mihaila

Q: Your into the next round of the competition now. Do you feel your side can win the Copa Nationala?
    Chivu: That’s the aim, we know it isn’t an easy cup to win but we have made the perfect start in my opinion with two away wins and we feel we are getting stronger as a team.

Q: Many will say you had a little luck with the fact they hit the ps and then you counter attacked and scored the winner. Do you feel you had a bit of luck?
    Chivu: We dominated the game and were unlucky not to score earlier but at that articular moment of course there was a bit of luck. I think when the ball hits the inside of the post and doesn’t go in your lucky but to go to the other end and score they must feel really unlucky tonight.

Q: How difficult was it to stop Voluntari from creating clear cut chances other then the time they hit the post?
    Chivu: It is always difficult but I feel that as a team we defend and as a team we attack. I think that Cicaldau, Qaka, Mateiu and the full backs have the toughest job in the team because I ask so much from them the attackers have one job and that’s to attack the defenders have one job to defend but the full backs and midfielders they must do everything.
  • Ashy
    Another 3 more wins there, well done I do also think the Copa Nationala is something entirely possible for you to win, fantastic as always
  • exercisebike
    Hitting some form now. I wonder how long until some Italian clubs start sniffing around Chivu?
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great results and it seems the team scores goals a bit easier than earlier in the season. Do you like the Romanian competition? From my own perspective I don't know much about it and I doubt if I would enjoy a career in such a competition.
  • JoshDFC
    Another 3 more wins there, well done I do also think the Copa Nationala is something entirely possible for you to win, fantastic as always

It is our best chance to win a cup so hopefully we can go all the way
    Hitting some form now. I wonder how long until some Italian clubs start sniffing around Chivu?

It will be interesting to see when teams come in for Chivu but its early days at Craiova
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Great results and it seems the team scores goals a bit easier than earlier in the season. Do you like the Romanian competition? From my own perspective I don't know much about it and I doubt if I would enjoy a career in such a competition.

I enjoy it I don't know to much about the teams and I'm learning more as the season goes
  • Danimal5981
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    How does that 5-2-3 work out for you. Does it become a 3-4-3 when in possession with the wing backs so deep that they play as wingers?
  • JoshDFC
    How does that 5-2-3 work out for you. Does it become a 3-4-3 when in possession with the wing backs so deep that they play as wingers?

Both wing backs are very attacking especially Martic he has contributed a lot going forward
  • Stlducks
    JoshDFC wrote: »

Both wing backs are very attacking especially Martic he has contributed a lot going forward

I like that formation choice if your fullbacks are good enough to get forward and defend coming back. Gives you the flexibility to make defensive or attacking adjustments mid match.
  • JoshDFC
    KKaRGIY.png

Q: Koljic another two goals today what are your thought on his performance today?
    Chivu: I believe he is a fantastic striker and when you give him the service he is going to score goals. I feel he is what you want in a big striker in that he can hold the ball with his strength he can bring others into play and as we know he can finish but you saw he also set up the first so he is a complete forward.

Q: Your team continued their impressive run of wins to eight in all compeitions in a row. How long can you keep this incredible run going?
    Chivu: It won’t last forever we know this but at the moment we are playing excellent football both going forward and defending this is our fourth clean sheet in five games so when your defenders and keeper are keeping the ball out and the attackers are scoring you are always going to win games.

Q: You were facing a rival both historically and for European football was this a difficult game to prepare for or did you prepare normally?
    Chivu: Every week we prepare differently to be honest it depends on the opponent you have to study your opponent and I feel we prepared perfectly for this game. I think today we played a perfect game so well done to the team.
    Universatitea Craiova made it eleven games unbeaten with eight wins in a row after a comfortable win over rivals Dinamo Bucuresti.

Craiva took the lead after twenty six minutes a very nice move resulted in Koljic flicking the ball into the path of Cicaldau who placed the ball past Piscitelli who got a big hand to the shot the keeper will feel he should have done better. It was 2-0 nine minutes later another superb move down the right, Cicaldau found Barbut in the box his cut back found Koljic who took a touch before firing left footed into the corner. It was three eight minutes into the second half a superb counter by Craiova as Koljic played Barbut through one on one the winger waited for his striker to catch up before squaring to the Bosnian who slotted into the empty net. Craiova wrapped the game up with nine minutes left another counter another goal, Mihaila did brilliantly breaking down the left he cut it back to Qaka who found Markovic on the right in the box, he took a touch before firing across the keeper into the corner.

WozuPB3.png

Q: It was another superb performance by Koljic today that saw him score his fifteenth goal of the season. Obviously there will be interest in him in January if he keeps these performance up are yu confident though that you can keep him?
    Chivu: He signed a new deal not to long ago so I don’t think he is thinking of moving, he is enjoying his football and is scoring a lot of goals so there will be interest in him and of course if the right offer comes in for him he will probably leave the team. But I don’t believe he will leave in January

Q: You managed to maintain your unbeaten run after being three goals down. What did you say to the team at half time and how much of a boost is it to now be twelve games unbeaten?
    Chivu: I just said to them if we can score two goals in the first twenty-twenty five minutes of the second half we are more then capable of getting something out of the game. I am happy that we kept our unbeaten run going but when playing the bottom team and competing for the European places you need to win especially if you want to fight for the title.

Q: After scoring so late and being 3-0 down would you say your side got a little lucky today
    Chivu: To be honest I would agree with that statement. When you go in at half time three goals down you normally don’t come back but I feel that with the change and the fact we had nothing to lose it really helped because Markovic played exceptionally and Koljic obviously did what he needed to do in scoring twice.
    Universtitatea Craiova came from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 against bottom of the table Chindia.

Chindia almost took the lead after 14 minutes a lovely one two between Florea and Vodut saw Vodut lay it off to Florea who struck it first time from twenty yards and Piglicelli stood and watched as the ball cannoned back off his bar. Chindia did finally take the lead after twenty six minutes and what a team goal it was Chindia remained patient keeping the ball and making sure Craoiva kept moving before Florea layed the ball off for Burlacu who took a touch before firing in to the corner from twelve yards. It was 2-0 five minutes later Martac’s cross from the right was met by Vodut who headed past Pigliacelli from close range. It was 3-0 on the stroke of half time another nice passing move from Chindia and Serban cut it back to Florea who six yards out was totally unmarked and he fired into the corner. Then started the come back, four minutes into the second half a superb through ball from Cicaldau set Koljic through in the box he struck the ball first time into the top corner. They pulled their second goal back after sixty two minutes Markovic played the ball through in the box for Barbut who fired a vicious shot from a tight angle into the top corner. Craiova thought they had equalised ten minutes from time Koljic played the ball to Markovic who fired the ball across the keeper but the ball bounced back out of the post. Craiova did equalise in the final minute of the game Matieu’s ball from the right side of the box was met by Koljic who threw himself at the ball to head home off the post.

s9WJFNq.png

Q: Koljic scored another two goals including the late winner. What are your thoughts on his performance?
    Chivu: I think in games like today it is crucial to have somebody like Elvir who can score when all the pressure is on him. We didn’t play well, in fact I think we were awful but he dragged us through with his two goals and we pick up three points.

Q: That’s thirteen games unbeaten, how important is the unbeaten run to yourself?
    Chivu: The longer the run goes bviously the better it is for us and our confidence but the main thing is to win games if your unbeaten for ten games but draw ten you have ten points but if you win five and lose five you have fifteen points which is more impressive? The unbeaten run it is nice but winning is more important.

Q: You scored in the 95th minute which frustrated Hermannstadt as only three minute were signalled were your side lucky today?
    Chivu: Yes we were very lucky not to lose the game because they had most of the play. I have sympathy for them because they played a fantastic game and lost it after the final whistle should have gone but it is similar to what happened with us earlier in the season at Dinamo so these things happen we kept paying and won the match.
    Craiova got back to winning ways with a hard fought 3-2 win against struggling Hermannstadt.

Craiova took the lead after twenty nine minutes Koljic played the ball out wide to Barbut who took the ball into the box before cutting it back to the edge of the area for Koljic who fired the ball across the keeper in off the post. The lead lasted just three minutes before Hermannstadt equalised Yazalde played a nice one-two with Petrescu before firing past Pigliacelli at his near post. Craiova re took the lead five minutes later Bancu’s corner was met by Kelic but his header bounced back off the post but Barbut was there to fire home. Hermannstadt thought they had secured a point with four minutes left when they equalised after Caiao’s cross from the left took a deflection off Martic and fell kindly to Yazalde who fired past Pigliacelli but Craiova kept plugging away and secured all three points when Koljic broke free and slotted the ball past Novo after a lazy challenge by Luchin.
    Craiova got back to winning ways with a hard fought 3-2 win against struggling Hermannstadt.

Craiova took the lead after twenty nine minutes Koljic played the ball out wide to Barbut who took the ball into the box before cutting it back to the edge of the area for Koljic who fired the ball across the keeper in off the post. The lead lasted just three minutes before Hermannstadt equalised Yazalde played a nice one-two with Petrescu before firing past Pigliacelli at his near post. Craiova re took the lead five minutes later Bancu’s corner was met by Kelic but his header bounced back off the post but Barbut was there to fire home. Hermannstadt thought they had secured a point with four minutes left when they equalised after Caiao’s cross from the left took a deflection off Martic and fell kindly to Yazalde who fired past Pigliacelli but Craiova kept plugging away and secured all three points when Koljic broke free and slotted the ball past Novo after a lazy challenge by Luchin.
    [/spoiler]

SliDj7l.png

Q: Cristian your side currently sit ten points adrift of CFR Cluj. Is the aim this season to try and win the title or to try and qualify for Europe?
    Chivu: Ten points is a big gap especially when you look at the form of Cluj, we are the only ones to beat them this season but we have eight games until the table is split and if we can close the gap I feel once we are only playing the top six team everybody will take points off each other. Our main aim this season is to finish in the top three I have said this but I feel with our form we can try and close the gap why not.

Q: Speculation is rife that you could lose a number of key players with Koljic, Pigliacelli, Bancu and Cosic all being linked with moves away in January. How important is it to keep the team together?
    Chivu: It is crucial to keep the team together but we know if the right offer comes in we could lose one or two of our key players. Our aim is to keep them until at least the summer so it will have to be a big offer unless we can find the right replacements which is difficult in January. With Cosic it is different because he has the release clause which I feel it to low but hopefully we can keep him and in the summer he will sign a new deal.

Q: Uros Cosic limped off today is here any update on his injury?
    Chivu: We think it is a broken toe, we aren’t 100% sure yet but the physio said it looks like it and if I is we will lose him for six weeks. According to your papers this was his last game but I hope he is still here in February when we come back from our break.

Craiova took the lead after twenty nine minutes Koljic played the ball out wide to Barbut who took the ball into the box before cutting it back to the edge of the area for Koljic who fired the ball across the keeper in off the post. The lead lasted just three minutes before Hermannstadt equalised Yazalde played a nice one-two with Petrescu before firing past Pigliacelli at his near post. Craiova re took the lead five minutes later Bancu’s corner was met by Kelic but his header bounced back off the post but Barbut was there to fire home. Hermannstadt thought they had secured a point with four minutes left when they equalised after Caiao’s cross from the left took a deflection off Martic and fell kindly to Yazalde who fired past Pigliacelli but Craiova kept plugging away and secured all three points when Koljic broke free and slotted the ball past Novo after a lazy challenge by Luchin.]/spoiler]

Smk0aiZ.png
  • exercisebike
    Certainly no lack of action in the boxes in your past games. I can imagine Chivu would be unhappy with the defending given some of the managers he played for. You’ve played 18 games - how many to go?
  • JoshDFC
    Certainly no lack of action in the boxes in your past games. I can imagine Chivu would be unhappy with the defending given some of the managers he played for. You’ve played 18 games - how many to go?

Theres 8 games until the table splits and then I believe theres another 10 games after that so we're halfway through now
  • JoshDFC
    kM4bjo9.png

Cristian Chivu has said he is excited about the future for Univesitatea Craiova and says it won’t be long until some of the exciting youngsters currently in their academy make their debuts. Craiovas youth team are currently unbeaten in their league and sit top of the table and Chivu has said he is keeping a close eye on a number of the players with an eye for them making their debuts in the not to distant future after working with them during the recent international break. Chivu was speaking during an interview about his time at Craiova so far.

Q: Cristian your eighteen games into the season now, how are you finding life as a manager?
    Chivu: I am enjoying life as a manager, it is a very different challenge as a first team manager then it was as the youth manager at Inter. Obviously I have more responsibility and we have the youth team managers and coaches coming to speak to me about the young players and then we have to pick where to send our scouts and what we are out there looking for and then the more obvious sides of things like training the players and preparing for the matches it is a very busy role but I am enjoying it.

Q: Speaking of your youth coaches, the youth team are doing very well this season, how long before we see some of the youngsters transition into the first team?
    Chivu: Yeah the youth team is doing excellent and we have some really good young players in there. I think you can see the work has gone into our academy in recent years with Jovan (Markovic) enjoying a good season and so it Mihaila and I do feel that we will see two or three make their debuts before the end of this season. I watched the youngsters train very closely on the last international break and we have I think nine that train with the first team at the moment but obviously we try and find a balance for them to still train with the players they have to play with week in week out.

Q: Are there any players in particular who have caught your eye?
    Chivu: They are all very talented, in terms of stand outs so far I think Sergio Branco has looked superb, he is the top scorer for the youth team so he is obviously going to stand out then there is the captain at the back Mircea Popescu he is a strong player who is very commanding for somebody so young there are loads of talents coming through I can’t go through them all but these two stand out but mainly because of the roles they have in the team the others still have my attention believe me.

9G6nlUN.png
    hRyD1MH.png
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    Some great Romanian talents, but Branco is the gem of the youth team. Do you have a lot of attackers who are better than him right now? Do your academy players have good physical stats? That always troubles my youth players, especially the centrebacks.
  • exercisebike
    Branco must be close to the first-team, surely?
  • JoshDFC
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Some great Romanian talents, but Branco is the gem of the youth team. Do you have a lot of attackers who are better than him right now? Do your academy players have good physical stats? That always troubles my youth players, especially the centrebacks.

There a lot of talent there I'm actually surprised how well the scout has done there's a player for virtually every position.
    Branco must be close to the first-team, surely?

There's four games until January were we have no games. After this break I think he will be ready to start fighting for the first team
  • JoshDFC
    m9m38X5.png

Q: You keep your unbeaten run going but how nice was it to keep a clean sheet given the amount of goals you have conceded lately?
    Chivu: It is great to keep a clean sheet, we are always working to improve week after week and this week I felt we defended really well and could have scored one or two more on another day so although it was only 1-0 it was a good performance from the team.

Q: It was just the one goal that separated the teams, what do you think the main difference was between the teams?
    Chivu: I just feel we controlled the game better they had moments where they were dangerous but I never really felt that it was a game that was going to get away from us. I had confidence we would find the break through especially the way we started the second half we looked really hungry and we were good value for the win.

Q: Many thought you would win this game more convincingly then you did. Did Botosani make it harder then you expected?
    Chivu: No, we expected a tough game and that is exactly what we got. I still maintain we could have scored a couple more goals but we did enough to win the match and now we move onto the next game on Saturday.

LRwCWlC.png

Q: Balasa has been hitting the headlines as your stand out defender at the back. How pleased are you with his performances?
    Chivu: Yeah I’m ecstatic with him because he has been superb this season. He is still relatively young for a defender and can keep learning but as the season is going he is getting better and better and is somebody who I think can captain this team in the future

Q: You have continued your impressive form with an away win against a tough team. How happy are you with how the team is progressing?
    Chivu: I am happy because we have had a great turn of form we have won thirteen of the last fifteen or something like this but we still remain fourth and we aren’t reaching the goal we have this season. We need to keep the pressure on the top three and hopefully we will close the gap and try to win the title.

Q: You conceded again which obviously made the last twenty minutes more difficult. How do you improve defensively moving forwards?
    Chivu: Concentration, that is the key. When you lose concentration you concede goals and this can lead to the team eventually dropping points but I feel the payers are good enough it is just a case of always remaining switched on. We are happy with the result though so we won’t criticise the performance despite us not being at our best.

65eHetk.png

Q: Cristian anther win for your team, how important was it to get the win today knowing Viitorul were facing Steaua?
    Chivu: It was crucial we won not because of their game but because it gives us a boost because next week is the last game before the winter break and we face Steaua so we need to go into that game with confidence to try and pick up the three points and go into Christmas in a strong position for our fans.

Q: Many people have criticised Voluntari’s performance saying they made it to easy for you. What do you make of them comments?
    Chivu: I disagree with them, at 0-0 they had a massive opportunity to take the lead. After we scored I think we kept the ball really well and made things difficult for them. Abnother day we would have scored two or three but on another day they might have scored that’s what it so good about football the game can change so quickly so we deserve credit for the win.

Q: Steaua ran out comfortable winners against Viitorul which sees you move upto third whilst Cluj were held at home by Astra. Was this the perfect weekend for your team and does that make next weekends game more difficult?
    Chivu:It is a nice weekend for us because the gap at the top is closed to eight points and if we can win next week we have a chance to move second and hopefully Cluj can slip again and we can go into the winter break in second place five points off Cluj but the main objective is to try and beat Steaua and see where that takes us.

4J7Hfw1.png

Q: Elvir Koljic didn’t score today but provided two assists what did you make of his performance?
    Chivu: He worked really hard for the team today, it was difficult because we were playing a really good team and we didn’t have as much of the ball as we are used to and we didn’t create as much as we normally do but he created two incredible goals for us when we were on the back foot. He is very good with his back to goal at bringing other into the game and that’s what happened with our goals today.

Q: Cicaldau was sent off today, first what was your opinion on the second yellow and how will it affect your team?
    Chivu: I can not say what I think about the second yellow card because I don’t understand this decision. In terms of how will it affect us we will have to see. The last three weeks due to injuries we have used three different systems and walked away with nine points so we have shown we can adapt but now we have six weeks until our next game so we will enjoy Christmas have a break and hopefully we can add a couple of player in January to strengthen the team.

Q: How impressed were you with both Pigliacelli and Qaka today?
    Chivu: Mirko (Pigliacelli) made some incredible saves the save straight after half time I can not believe he managed to keep it our and then he made a save at one end and eight minutes later we score another goal at the other end. I think we are lucky to have such a good keeper and I hope we can keep him in January. Qaka his worked so tirelessly him Cicaldau and Matieu were awesome and his two goals he has waited a long time for a goal and he scores two in our biggest game yet it is unbelievable.

o3k6VMt.png
  • Stlducks
    Hard to believe with this unbeaten run and you are in second place. Top 3 is certain it seems but catching first will be very difficult. Continue this unbeaten run and it could happen though.
  • JoshDFC
    Hard to believe with this unbeaten run and you are in second place. Top 3 is certain it seems but catching first will be very difficult. Continue this unbeaten run and it could happen though.

The top teams just keep winning I think I didn't update Viitoruls table they are closer then 12 points. the change in formation has been crucial to the team finding this form hopefully it continues
  • JoshDFC
    MrLUeYm.png

Jack Byrne has completed a shock move to Universitatea Craiova on a four year deal. The former Manchester City youngster spent last season at Shamrock Rovers in his native Ireland as he bids to rebuild his career following unsuccessful spells with Kilmarnock and Oldham Athletic. The fee is an undisclosed fee in the region of £1,500,000. The twenty three year old was interviewed as he joined the team.

Q: Jack welcome to the team. It is not often a player from Ireland comes to play in Romania how are you feeling about making this move?
    Bryne: I am delighted to be here, I was a little bit shocked when my agent called saying that Universitatea Craiova were interested in signing me but this a challenge not many people have taken and I spoke with my family and decided that it was a challenge that really excited me and after a successful year at Shamrock this is the next step for me in rebuilding my career. I think I’m probably a bit of a forgotten man in England people seem to forget that I’m only twenty three I’m still learning and can’t wait to get started here.

Q: With this move you become Cristian’s first ever purchase. Does this add pressure on yourself?
    Bryne: No, I haven’t really thought about that to be honest. I think it shows that the manager believes in me and I want to repay the faith him and the club have shown in me. I have spoken to him and his vision for the club is impressive and I just can’t wait to get started. We have a nice break but I’m keen to get training it’s a challenge that is really exciting me and I can’t wait to get out there and show the fans what I’m about.

Q: What are your ambitions for yourself and the club both this season and moving forwards?
    Bryne: I don’t think the title is out of the question this season, obviously Cluj and Steaua are very strong teams but we have the ability to cause them problems. On a personal level I want to first break into the team I know that the team is in excellent form so that won’t be easy and obviously just try to score and assist as many goals as possible. Moving forwards again the aim is to try and get the team in the Champions League, that would be a dream come true to play in the Champions League and I think it would be a massive turn around in my career to go from being released from Oldham to playing in the Champions League.
  • exercisebike
    A good opportunity for a young player to play in Europe so looks like a good signing. Are you at the start or end of January? Could there be more signings to come?