Cristian Chivu: Making the step into first team management

JoshDFC
2146 posts Fans' Favourite
U9mAoaS.png

Cristian Chivu has stepped down as manager of Inter Milan’s under seventeen side as he closes in on his first senior managerial role. Chivu is very highly rated as a coach by Inter Milan having been promoted from under fourteen coach to under seventeen coach and the thirty nine year old has said this on his departure from Inter Milan

“I am deeply honoured to have been given my first piece of managerial experience at this huge club, this is a club I hold close to my heart having spent most of my playing career here. I joined this club in 2007 and now twelve years later I can look back with fondness after what we achieved together. Now my aim is to go into a first team management job and start showing that I believe have what it takes to be a fantastic manager, I will sit down with my family and have a look at the options we have on the table but I am excited by the team I expect to join and the potential the team has to maximise its potential.”

Antonio Conte said this on the departing coach

Conte “I am sad to see Cristian leave the club despite the fact I only worked with him for a short period of time, the work he has down with the youth teams here has been incredible in helping these young players prepare for their futures in football. Everyone I have spoken to about him has nothing but good things to say about him so it is a shame we couldn’t work together for longer but the chance to manage a first team has come for him and it is an opportunity nobody at Inter Milan was going to stop him from taking. I wish Cristian the best of luck and hope the move works out for him.”

Comments

• Danimal5981
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    Back to Romania, trying out the new league?
  • Ahmer50x
    23534 posts Club Captain
    Good luck!
  • Wyojasond
    14355 posts Has That Special Something
    Good luck man. Eager to see it all play out. You always choose such unique teams to start with 😎
  • Daviee x
    44 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Good luck with Chivu's journey. looking forward to seeing your team choice to start
  • Stlducks
    2180 posts Fans' Favourite
    You always pick teams and leagues I don't really know about. Makes your stories fun to follow. Good luck.
  • JoshDFC
    Back to Romania, trying out the new league?

Maybe :wink:
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Good luck!

Cheers
    Good luck man. Eager to see it all play out. You always choose such unique teams to start with 😎

Thanks man really looking forward to this story :)
    Daviee x wrote: »
    Good luck with Chivu's journey. looking forward to seeing your team choice to start

All will be revealed shortly
    Stlducks wrote: »
    You always pick teams and leagues I don't really know about. Makes your stories fun to follow. Good luck.

I don't know much about the league I'm starting in (have I said to much :flushed:
  • JoshDFC
    y9YG3wn.png

Universitatea Craiova are delighted to confirm the appointment of former defender Cristian Chivu as our new manager on a two-year contract. The thirty-nine-year-old former Champions League winner brings a wealth of experience in playing at the very top in Europe particularly in Italy where he helped Inter Milan to a historic treble under the tuition of Portuguese legend Jose Mourinho.

Chairman Sorin Cartu said this on the arrival of the new manager “We are delighted that Cristian has agreed to join our management team. He is a young coach who we have heard fantastic reviews about having seen him move from Inters under fourteen coach to their under seventeen coach and he is a coach who has experience having played at the top of the game for most of his career. We feel Cristian can help us reach the next level and we can’t wait for him to get started.”

Cristian will be available to answer your questions on Thursday so please get your questions in for our new manager.
  • Danimal5981
    The team where he once started; back home
  • Wyojasond
    14355 posts Has That Special Something
    Very interesting choice.

Question for the manager- How does it feel coming back to the club where it all started for you?
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    Interesting to see a story in the Romanian league.

Question for the manager - What are your own managerial ambitions? Where do you want to be in five years as a manager?
  • JoshDFC
    The team where he once started; back home
    Very interesting choice.

Question for the manager- How does it feel coming back to the club where it all started for you?
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Interesting to see a story in the Romanian league.

Question for the manager - What are your own managerial ambitions? Where do you want to be in five years as a manager?

Cheers guys when I saw the Romanian league this career was the only story I had in my mind
  • JoshDFC
    bvApcjL.png

Universitatea Craiova keeper Mirko Pigliacelli has said that the whole team are excited by the arrival of Cristian Chivu and can’t wait for the Romanian to get started. Chivu will officially be unveiled as Craiova’s manager of Thursday but keeper Mirko Pigliacelli says the whole team are ecstatic to be working for the Romanian legend and hopes the Romanians experience in Italy may see more Italians join him in the Dolj Country.

Pigliacelli “Everybody is so happy that Cristian has joined the team, he is a legend in Romania and knows the club well having played here during his career. I think when a player has the experience of working with top managers like Cristian did he is destined to be a great manager working with Mancini, Jose Mourinho and Luciano Spalletti to name a few I’m sure he will be good for us. I hope that given he spent a lot of his career in Italy and he has a good knowledge of Serie A maybe more Italians will join the team I would encourage them because it is fantastic here. We are confident as a team that we can push for the title this season obviously it won’t be easy but we have some really good managers and hopefully Cristian can give us that push we need, last season we finished fourteen points behind but we are confident that we can close that gap.”

Cristian Chivu will be unveiled on Thursday got your questions in for our new manager and help welcome Cristian home.
  • Ahmer50x
    23534 posts Club Captain
    Question for Chivu: Which of the managers you worked under influenced you the most?
  • WestardLord
    1891 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looking forward to it. Always exciting to see new teams, leagues, and players.
  • Great choice for a manager and a position to start with. Players will be excited a legend is coming home after winning so many big trophies.

Question: What positions in the squad do you think need strengthening right away?
  • Danimal5981
    Does Chivu see this job to learn the traits of managing a football team and move up from there? Or, is there a higher goal of bringing Romanian football at the forefront of European football?
  • JoshDFC
    edited September 2019
    1xoRrgh.png

Q: What does if feel like coming back to the club where it all started for you?

Chivu: I am happy to be back here, I played for Resita before joining Universitatea Craiova but this is the team that really propelled me on to have the career I had. Being back here starting my managerial career I am excited about the future here I have seen the quality in this team and I can’t wait to get started here and start trying to help the team close the gap on Cluj and Steaua to try and compete for the league title.

Q: What are your own managerial ambitions?

Chivu: My managerial goals are to be as successful as possible, in the short term it is to try and fight for the title and try and get this fantastic club into the Champions League and the Champions League group stage. I know it is a difficult challenge but I feel we have the facilities here to really push on and fight for the title.

Q: Where do you want to be in fives years as a manager?

Chivu: I haven’t thought to much about five years down the line my sole focus is on helping this team compete to play in Europe and more specifically getting into the Champions League group stage. In the long run I do want to manage in Italy and would love to return to Inter Milan one day but there’s also the chance to manage in countries I didn’t play like Spain or England we will see but now I have to focus on this team and pushing up the table.

Q: Which of the managers you worked under influenced you the most?

Chivu: I have worked under some world class managers and I have tried to learn as much from them all as possible. If I was to pick one it would be Jose Mourinho because in my opinion he is the greatest manager in history look what he has achieved in his career and nobody else really compares. He received criticism in his last two jobs despite being successful it is similar to what we have with Messi last year wasn’t his best season but he still scored a ridiculous amount of goals. I have spoken to Jose a couple of times since becoming manager he has given me some advice and hopefully it will help me.

Q: What positions in the squad do you think need strengthening right away?

Chivu: I think we have some fantastic players already at the team, I think that we need t improve the depth in certain positions. I think we require a creative midfielder and maybe some wingers but I have only had a couple of days with the team so we will see. The window is closed until January so we will see over the next few months but I feel there is some talent in the youth team Jovan (Markovic) will be given his chance he has looked excellent and I think we might see some more players progress as the season goes.

Q: Have you joined this team to learn the traits of managing a football team and move up from there? Or, is there a higher goal of bringing Romanian football at the forefront of European football?

Chivu: I want to try and take this team into the Champions League group stages that’s the first aim, I know fans don’t want to hear this but the aim is to manage in one of the top leagues but for the foreseeable future my aim is to try and be successful here. The better I perform the better chance I have at getting a top job so it is about the team. Romania football doesn’t have the facilities to contend with Spain, England, Germany or France but I feel with the right management one we can reach the group stage and then hopefully push on to qualify from the group that would be exceptional.

• Very level headed interview, honest answers and goals. Logical fans understand that all players and coaches dream of being in top leagues so nobody should be surprised of Chivu's answer about future ambitions.
  • Ahmer50x
    23534 posts Club Captain
    Really solid interview.

Tbh I'm disappointed he's a Mourinho acolyte. Means you're gonna play ❤️❤️❤️❤️ football :joy:
  • Wiggie44
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Good luck
  • JoshDFC
    Going to set this up now can't see them fixing the career mode for a while but hope it won't affect the story to much
  • Daviee x
    44 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Good luck Josh, hopefully your careers bugs stay to a minimum or none
  • JoshDFC
    5sri6rY.png

Q: Was this a difficult match?
    Chivu: I think that every match is difficult especially this early in the season when everybody is getting used to each other but we managed to secure the goal that we needed and I am happy we have started with a victory

Q: Should you perhaps have scored more particularly in the first half?
    Chivu: I think maybe we could have scored one or two more in the first half but the second half I feel was a little bit tighter with less chances and in the end it suited us as we already had the lead
    Cristian Chivu saw his Universitatea Craoiva side pick up three points as they won their opening game of the season 1-0 at home to FC Clinceni.

Craiova started the game brightly and should have taken the lead after seventeen minutes when a fantastic ball from Cicaldau found captain Bancu in the box his cross was met by striker Roman seven yards out but he could only direct his header over. It didn’t take much longer for Chivu’s side to score another superb ball by Cicaldau this time finding Roman in the box, he took a touch before crossing for Bosnia striker Koljic who headed into the corner leaving the keeper with no chance. The game quietened down after the goal with the best chance falling to Roman whose shot from just outside the box was pushed round the post by Ureche just before half time.

mVc7oA4.png

Q: What did you think of the late equaliser?
    Chivu: I don’t understand how the game was still going on the referee signalled three minutes yet he played just under five minutes when they scored and probably six in total. I still believe we can defend better but the game should have been over that’s a fact.

Q: It was quite a spectacular draw with four goals and even more chances. What did you make of the game?
    Chivu: I think in the future we have to be better defensively because we allowed them to many opportunities in the game but if the referee had played the three minutes we would have won.

Q: Roman is in superb form at the moment how happy are you with his form?
    Chivu: He is playing fantastic, he has been involved in pretty much all of our goals and he deserve a lot of credit for the start he has made to the season.
    Mattia Montini’s ninety fifth minute equaliser left Cristian Chivu furious and denied the fromer Romania captain back to back wins.

Dinamo took the lead after eighteen minutes Balasa’s poor clearance fell to Fabbrini who slotted the ball through to Montini who fired past the keeper first time. Craiova equalised two minutes before half time a brilliant patient move that saw Cicaldau find Roman in the box, he did fantastic to turn and fire low across the keeper into the bottom corner. Dinamo thought they had retaken the lead in injury time of the first half Montini and Nistor playing a fantastic one two with Nistor back heeling back into the path of the Italian who slotted home but the flag was up against the Dinamo captain. Dinamo should have retaken the lead just four minutes into the second half when Fabbrini’s through ball played Mazljak in one on one but Pigliacelli did fantastic to deny the midfielder. Then against the run of play Craiova took the lead a beautiful ball over the top found Koljic who headed the ball superbly over the head of Piscitelli who had no chance. Then came the controversy in the ninety fifth minute Dinamo equalised Fabbrini’s cross was met by Montini who headed brilliantly into the top corner leaving Craiova’s players and manager furious as only three minutes had been signalled.

yFRsA8Y.png

Q: Bancu will obviously miss the next match after his red card how do you think this will affect the team?
    Chivu: We are obviously disappointed that Bancu will miss the next game but thed referee made his decision to send him off and we have to accept that. He said it was denying a goalscoring opportunity but I don’ know if you can deny a goalscoring opportunity after the player has already shot this is strange for me

Q: Were you hoping for a win today?
    Chivu: Of course, we always try to win but today we went down to ten men and we all fought for each other. After we went one down we could have let our heads drop and lose the game but we didn’t we reacted and deserved to win.

Q: A victory was expected of you today. Whats your comment on not picking up the win?
    Chivu: We will learn from this set back, we went down to ten men and didn’t roll over we fought back and on another day we would have won. Chindia are a team who won their opening two matches so it was always looking likely to be a difficult game.
    Cristian Chivu made it three games unbeaten as the ten men of Craiova came from behind to draw at home to the inform Chindia. Although the game was overshadowed by a serious injury to Chindia midfielder who was stretchered off after twenty minutes after colliding with Martic.

Craiova started the game brightly after fourteen minutes Bancu’s cross was headed down by Koljic to Roman whose volley was deflected into the side netting by Dudea. Craiova almost took the lead after twenty five minutes a brilliant run by Cicaldau who beat two men before cutting it back to Qaka but he fired into the side netting. Craiova were down to ten men just two minutes later Bancu being sent off for a challenge on Dumiter who had gotten his shot away but the referee still deemed he denied a goal scoring opportunity, up stepped Negut who sent Pigliacelli the wrong way to give Chindia the lead. Craiova equalised just five minutes later Qaka with a superb run into the box before crossing to the back post to Koljic who couldn’t miss from four yards. Craiova almost won the game with two late chances first in the eighty fourth minute Cosic’s shot from the edge of the box was pushed around he post before from the resulting corner the ball was only cleared as far as Matieu on the edge of the box but his shot was saved exceptionally by the in form Popescu.

rjQgb3e.png

• Wiggie44
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The stats look good just lacking those extra goals B)
  • JoshDFC
    Wiggie44 wrote: »
    The stats look good just lacking those extra goals B)

Cheers still getting used to the new team and new league :)
  • JoshDFC
    6XgHXOa.png

Q: You came in as favourites at any point did you think the win was in doubt?
    Chivu: No, I think we controlled the game fantastically and we deserved to win the match. We jad a few other opportunities but I feel it was a well derserved that we won and I am happy with the start we have made this season.

Q: How difficult was is to stop Hermannstadt from creating chances?
    Chivu: We just played our game, we have confidence in the way we are trying to play and today it paid off as you can see with a nice win. We deserved a clean sheet but they scored a great goal so well done to them for that but we deserved this win.

Q: Koljic was linked with teams like Rangers, Panathinaikos and Dinamo Zagreb. He has hit the ground running this season are you confident of keeping him at the club?
    Chivu: We are four games into the season, the transfer window is closed so we aren’t thinking about selling anybody. I think Elvir (Koljic) can play in Serie A or the Premier League I don’ think a move to Croatia, Scotland or Greece is the correct move for him. His next move has to be a move forwards to a team that is in a top league so he can show his talents but we have other players who can play in the top leagues but first they must prove themselves here and challenge Cluj and Steaua at the top of the table.

uZs4Nxg.png

Q: We saw two very evenly matched teams today with no clear winner. Was a draw a fair result?
    Chivu: I think the defenders and goalkeepers played very well and they deserve credit especially for the second half performance obviously the first half had some chances but I think a draw is fair and we are happy to have kept the clean sheet but would have preferred to win

Q: Would you have taken a draw at the beginning of the game?
    Chivu: Our aim is to try and win every match and today was no different. We weren’t clinical enough in front of goal and it cost us but that being said second half we never created a chance so we can’t say we deserved to win a draw was fair.

Q: There has been speculation recently regarding the future of Nicusor Bancu with him in the final year of his contract with many expecting him to move to Serie A at the end of the season. Do you think he will be a Craiova player next season?
    Chivu: That is for Nicusor to decide, we want him to stay but of course he wants to test himself in a top league and if he decides this is his final year we will respect that. Obviously we don’t want him to leave for nothing but it is his decision he is a top player who wants to test himself and we can’t criticise him for that
    Universitatea Craiova moved up to fourth in the table despite being held to a 0-0 draw by Sespsi OSK.

The first half was action packed with Alex Cicaldau coming closest to scoring but the best chance fell to Salli. Craiova started the game brightly and could have taken the lead after eight minutes when Martics low cross from the right was met by Cicaldau but his shot was to close to the keeper who pushed the ball behind for a corner. After nineteen minutes Cicaldau hit the post after a nice back heel from Roman found the midfielder in space just outside the box. Sepsi showed they were dangerous on the break after half an hour a neat one two between Salli and Veress saw Salli break into the box ease past Cosic but fire wide. Then came the biggest chance of the game on the stroke of half time a neat turn on the edge of the box by Stefan he then found Salli in space twelve yards out the winger took a touch before somehow firing wide. The second half was a very cautious with neither side creating any clear cut opportunities as the points were shared.

vaKP98J.png

Q: Koljic is going to miss the next game due to this red card how much of an impact will that have on the team?
    Chivu: It won’t be easy he is a great player and is the player who most looks likely to score but we have confidence Jovan (Markovic) scored today and Mihai (Roman) has scored this season so they have to step up

Q: This is your first loss as manager. How are you feeling after tasting defeat for the first time?
    Chivu: I think we have started the season ok, we have to improve in some areas we only have Cicaldau who is creating chances from midfield so may mix it up a bit there but we are still getting used to my system. Today the defence were terrible and they have let us down.

Q: After that late Barbut goal were you hopeful of snatching an equaliser?
    Chivu: It is difficult with ten men but Botosani were the better team and I think they deserved this win. We are disappointed because we started brightly but that’s football and we will aim to bounce back next time out.
    Cristian Chivu tasted defeat for the first time as a manager as Botosani came from behind to beat his Craiova side 3-2 as Elmir Koljic saw red for two yellow cards

Craiova started the game well and took the lead after twenty six minutes superb play by the young Markovic whose ball out wide found Martic out wide the young striker continued his run into the box to latch onto the end of the cross and head past the helpless Brinza. Botosani were level though five minutes later a simple one two between Cascini and Moussa saw Ciscanin through on goal and he fired past Pigliacelli. It was 2-1 in first half injury time a poor headed clearance from Balasa saw Rodriquez head a hopeful ball into the box and the Craiova defence were caught sleeping as it ound Ongenda in space who volleyed low past Pigliacelli. Craiova were down to ten men eleven minutes into the second half when Koljic was shown a second yellow for a late challenge on Ongenda. With fifteen minutes left Botosani doubled their lead with a huge stroke of luck as Balasa’s tackle on Moussa fell to Papa who slotted the ball past Pigliacelli. Craiova almost pulled one back three minutes later a superb solo run from Barbut saw him break into the box but his shot cannoned back off the bar. Craiova did pull one back with four minutes left a super ball by Cicaldau put Martic in down the right his cut back found Barbut who made no mistake but it was to late and Botosani held on for a crucial three points.

0f5mIPJ.png

Q: At half time were you confident of getting a draw from the game?
    Chivu: We weren’t at our best for this game but at half time with the quality in this time I knew we could get at least a draw and we fought really hard to ensure we picked up a share of the spoils even if maybe we didn’t deserve to

Q: Your team were quite aggressive today picking up three yellow cards what do you make of that?
    Chivu: We were a little unlucky because I think a couple of the bookings were harsh but these things happen we play our way and although we haven’t won as many games as I’d have liked we are doing well

Q: Elvir Koljic is back next week is he likely to start the game?
    Chivu: We will see, it depends on how everybody trains but I think he will probably start the match because he is our top scorer and we missed his presence up front today but I thought Jovan(Markovic) did brilliant in his place and worked so hard for his team mates.
    Astra Giurgiu will be wondering how they only came away with a point as Craiova came from behind to draw at home.

Astra almost took the lead after just seven minutes after some beautiful patient build up play Gavirlita played it back to Biceanu whose fierce low drive was brilliantly pushed onto the post by Pigliacelli. Astra did find the break through after twenty six minutes, Budescu given far to much space in the centre after being found by Gavirlita, Budescu took a touch before firing into the top corner from just inside the box. It was almost two on the break of half time, Crepulja slotting the ball through to Biceanu to the left of the six yard box but his shot again hit the post. Astra again had the chance to double their lead six minutes after the break Silva doing brilliant to beat Bancu before delivering a cross to Ajayi who headed inches wide despite being unmarked. Then against the run of play Craiova grabbed a crucial equaliser after Cicaldau found Markovic in the box he did well to hold onto the ball before finding Barbut who under pressure managed to squeeze the ball home and give his side a point.

YhzwLBA.png
  • UN5Y
    52 posts Park Captain
    Interesting idea and league, I like anything not the norm. Will follow and hope you can challenge with Club soon.
  • JoshDFC
    I decided to restart this career but went out and ensured my results were exactly the same with the same scorers
  • Stlducks
    2180 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good choice on the restart, the latest update has made a major difference in my opinion.

Good start to the season given it is a new team and league you will have an adjustment period.
  • exercisebike
    169 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Looking like draw specialists at the moment. Good luck keeping up with Cluj.