Ipswich Town: Season 1- December Decisions.....

Wyojasond
14419 posts Has That Special Something
edited November 2019
gaj9o0V.jpg
Post edited by Wyojasond on

Comments

• Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    VZCCXh1.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    The club was founded in 1878 but did not turn professional until 1936, and was subsequently elected to join the Football League in 1938. They play their home games at Portman Road in Ipswich. The only fully professional football club in Suffolk, they have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with Norwich City in Norfolk, with whom they have contested the East Anglian derby 148 times since 1902. The club's traditional home colours are blue shirts with white shorts and blue socks.

Ipswich have won the English league title once, in their first season in the top flight in 1961–62, and have twice finished runners-up, in 1980–81 and 1981–82. They won the FA Cup in 1977–78, and the UEFA Cup in 1980–81. They have competed in all three European club competitions, and have never lost at home in European competition, defeating Real Madrid, A.C. Milan, Inter Milan, Lazio and Barcelona, among others.

On 30 May 2018, Paul Hurst was announced as the new manager of the club on a three-year contract. Under Hurst, Ipswich made a disastrous start to the season, taking just one win in their opening fourteen league games. With the team bottom of the table, Hurst was sacked in October 2018 after less than five months in charge – making him the shortest serving manager in the club's history.He was replaced by former Norwich manager Paul Lambert on 27 October. Lambert was ultimately unable to turn the team's results around, and the club were officially relegated on 13 April 2019, ending their 17-year stay in the Championship, with them playing third tier football for the first time since 1957.

• Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    In 2007 Ipswich Town Football Club announced that Marcus Evans would be buying a controlling stake in the club subject to contracts, due diligence and shareholder approval. The deal saw Evans purchase Ipswich Town's £32 million debts with Aviva (Norwich Union) and Barclays Bank. The official announcement did not stake the terms of this deal: various unsourced media reports speculated that he paid anything between 20 pence and 100 pence in the pound, without giving sources.

He injected £12 million into the club in exchange for an issue of new shares, which gave him an 87.5% stake, and reduced the existing shareholders stake to 12.5%.The deal was finalised following an EGM on 17 December 2007, at which the proposal was backed by shareholders speaking for 98.9% of the stock.

When owner Marcus Evans took over the club in 2007, the club were £32m in debt –under Evan’s ownership, this figure has more than doubled (and looks set to increase further in the next accounts). Ipswich Town pays Marcus Evans around 5.4% interest on the debt. Club accounts show that £67m debt is owed to Evans and he has not converted any of it to equity.
  • Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    bzdgkkW.jpg

The bar was cold tonight....not a chill so much, but rather the feeling of loss. Women danced and men drank, but most of us knew something horrible happened today. Rich men playing games with fans hearts.....when would it end?

“Sky sports can now confirm that Bury FC has been sent into administration and expelled from League one,”

The headline blared across the TV. It’s message reverberating with everyone around. You would find no Bury fans here tonight, but as fans of this beautiful sport it still hit home.

“Disgraceful! The FA and Steve Dale be damned!” One old man shouted, as his peers raised there cups in agreement.

One man sat at the bar, slowly drinking his beer feeling the burden even more. To everyone else he was just another face, but this man, this man knew more than most. His club, the club he loved since a boy was in just as much trouble. As he sat and watched everyone mutter at the TV, he knew something had to be done, but what could he do? He was just a man in charge of finances at Ipswich Town.

“God help us, that we are never in there shoes...” he says to whoever will listen. He’ll get drunk tonight and go to work tomorrow, hoping that the day never comes he’s in the shoes of Bury fans....

• Daviee x
    44 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Good luck with Ipswich, interesting first write up looking forward to seeing where this goes
  • Ahmer50x
    23729 posts Club Captain
    Good luck! Foreshadowing financial trouble on an already low league 1 budget promises to be tough
  • Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    X4aPx0R.jpg

“Learn from the mistakes of others.... you can’t live long enough to make them all yourself” ~ Chankya

The headlines made for grim reading. Even with the season in full effect, the dire news about Bury being sent into administration still lingered in the air.

“The FA only cares about 20, we care about the other 92.” The shouts rang through the streets as a small group of protestors raised signs condemning the FA.

Henry Thomas knew this world all to well. Having followed football since the early 60’s, he had seen more than his fair share of teams go bankrupt. The inception of the Premier League had made it even worse. He couldn’t blame the top teams wanting more of the pie, they supplied most of it for God’s sake, but more and more clubs were having a hard time even finding the crumbs.

“Good morning Henry. Tea and a biscuit for you?”

“Yes please Marge. Can I get a Milk and biscuit as well. My grandson is on his way to meet me. Taking him with me to the game again today.”

Henry sat down at the table and continued reading his papers. His beloved Ipswich was in League One for the first time ever this year and while they had gotten off to a flying start, he knew it was going to be a long year. Getting out of this division is never easy, and all promotion meant was a return to the Championship where they toiled and failed for the last 17 years. Henry knew though that there were bigger issues though.....and they were hidden on the headlines “just the tip of the iceberg. More teams could follow Bury.” Marcus Evans was no Steve Dale, but Henry knew the club was in deep debt....

“Hello Grandpa!” Henry’s grandson ran into his grandfathers arms and then quickly set down to drink his milk. Only 10 years old, the boy flipped out his iPhone and started playing something as he drank furiously through his straw.

“Kids these days, just stuck to those phones.” Henry drank his tea and then grabbed his grandson. “Let’s go Billy, we don’t want to be late getting in. Grandpa has a surprise for you today.... club seats! Grandpa is meeting with a few people today so please be on your best behavior while I chat.”

“Sure thing grandpa” The boy put his phone away and wrapped his Ipswich scarf around his neck.
  • Wyojasond
    Daviee x wrote: »
    Good luck with Ipswich, interesting first write up looking forward to seeing where this goes
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Good luck! Foreshadowing financial trouble on an already low league 1 budget promises to be tough

Thanks guys. Had been debating so many stories before the season started. Was set on doing a Bury one, but then everything happened and even though they are in the game it’s just not the same.

Plan on doing this story a bit different with it being told through many eyes (sort of GOT like, if you ever read the books) Have some big plans, and think it will make for a fun read.
  • sviraman
    136 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Plan on doing this story a bit different with it being told through many eyes (sort of GOT like, if you ever read the books) Have some big plans, and think it will make for a fun read.

Ooh, that's an intriguing approach. Love to see a text-based story in general, and this is especially exciting.
  • Stlducks
    2273 posts Fans' Favourite
    Off to a good start, big fan of GOT and the writing style so I'm excited to see how this goes.
  • DB1512
    467 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice graphics and interesting way to tell your story. Excited to see how this develops!
  • Wyojasond
    sviraman wrote: »

Ooh, that's an intriguing approach. Love to see a text-based story in general, and this is especially exciting.
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Off to a good start, big fan of GOT and the writing style so I'm excited to see how this goes.
    DB1512 wrote: »
    Nice graphics and interesting way to tell your story. Excited to see how this develops!

Thanks guys. Not sure I originally planned for it to play out this way with multiple characters but I like how it’s going so far. Have a feeling some parts are going to move very fast and others will be a slow build. Eager to get the game fired up tomorrow night and get some matches played.
  • Ashy
    11236 posts Has That Special Something
    I really like where this is going, your stories are so unique to the rest of the forums it's great to see. I remember when Ipswich were in the PL in the very early 2000's, would be good to see you take them there but it could go another way by the sounds of it who knows. I like you have brought up the spending power of the PL just throwing money (Alexis' wages) compared to Bolton surviving liquidation and while Bury died. It's an interesting debate indeed. Good luck pal!
  • Wyojasond
    Ashy wrote: »
    I really like where this is going, your stories are so unique to the rest of the forums it's great to see. I remember when Ipswich were in the PL in the very early 2000's, would be good to see you take them there but it could go another way by the sounds of it who knows. I like you have brought up the spending power of the PL just throwing money (Alexis' wages) compared to Bolton surviving liquidation and while Bury died. It's an interesting debate indeed. Good luck pal!

Thanks man! I do try to go with something a bit different so it means a lot that they are appreciated. I’m pretty excited for this story now with the way it’s growing. I’ve got so many ideas on how to spin it. I think it’s gonna surprise a few people how this first season goes.
  • Wyojasond
    nypxTi4.jpg
    “A bad system can destroy good people”~ Gary Mottershead

William Barnes waited patiently in his bosses office. Holding a giant stack of papers he was told to bring up, he began to feel his whole body sweat....

“What the hell am I doing here?” He said to himself. He had only been in this office a few times in the last 5 years and never alone like this. Why was he told to bring the earnings reports from the last 3 years as well. Surely Mr. Evans had his own personal access to this....just then the door opened.

“Sit down Will, this won’t take long.” Marcus Evans took his seat behind his desk and asked for the folders. An older gentleman who had grown his wealth by starting MEG in the 80s, he had controlled the primary stake at Ipswich Town since 2007.

“I’m guessing your wondering why your here” Evans asked. “First off I need not remind you that anything discussed here stays between us. As you know there were reports I was trying to sell the team last December. Despite my denials in the press, those reports are true. It’s time for me to move on from here, I failed for far to long and while I love this team and everyone here, it’s time for something new.”

The news didn’t shock William, but he still didn’t understand why he was here and being told this privileged information.

“I’m providing you here with a list of suitors that have expressed interest in buying the team. Know this William....while I’m ready to sell, I’m not going to take a loss here. You know how much is still owed to me, and what I’ve put in here. I’m looking for at least 40-60 million.”

“Sir....if I can speak frankly, I just don’t see how that’s possible given our current status.”

“I know, but for you and all the staff out there, I hope we can find someone. Otherwise I fear the worst for this team.”

• Ahmer50x
    23729 posts Club Captain
    Interesting little threat there at the end from the owner.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Intriguing start to the story. I look forward to how this develops and what happens with Ipswich in the long run
  • Wyojasond
    edited September 2019
    d5lNsuK.jpg

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how do we remain artists once we grow up.”~ Picasso

“The kid absolutely wrecked him. I’ve never seen someone that small do that with the ball. It was hilarious, Luke looked like a dog chasing his tail!”

“Oh please, I let the kid do all that to me.” Team Captain Luke Chambers ran next to his teammates as they warmed up for practice. His teammates had been ribbing him nonstop since a video had surfaced this weekend of a young kid doing tricks around last years POTY.

“Yeah maybe the first few times, but then you got pretty serious and you still couldn’t touch him. Admit it man, that kid was slick!”

Luke had to admit, he had never seen something like what that kid did. Unbelievable foot speed, tricks for days and the whole time the kid just stared him down and grinned at him. He hardly even looked at the ball.

“Well I hope I never see him again. Kid has to be part of some academy with United or something. I’ll be long retired before he’s tearing up the league. Anyone find out his name anyways?”

Andre Dozzell grabbed his phone from his bag and pulled up the video. “Dang Luke, this video has almost a million views. Looks like the kids name is Billy Thomas.”
  • Wyojasond
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Intriguing start to the story. I look forward to how this develops and what happens with Ipswich in the long run
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Interesting little threat there at the end from the owner.

There may be lots of little things dropped here and there that we won’t hear about again for months....maybe even years. Hopefully I can keep you all guessing a bit 😉
  • Wyojasond
    3uXthBI.jpg
    “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy”~ Leo Buscaglia

”Listen Henry, I’ve already told you everything I know. It’s bad right now but you and me don’t have near enough money to try and fix this.”

Henry Thomas stood and talked with his good friend Jared Engles. The two men had grown up together and trusted each other above all. Hearing and seeing the fear in his friends voice scared him.

“I just can’t believe the club is in this amount of debt. What is Evans doing!?”

“Keep your voice down.” Jared shouted at his friend. The last thing either of them needed was more people getting in on this conversation. “All I know is that tomorrow, they are going to announce that all contract talks are suspended. The FA will likely be here the day after that to see the books. Like I said...it’s bad.”

Henry wiped his brow and sipped his scotch. “Any idea how much he wants?”

“35 million....”

“35 MILLION! Are you taking a ❤️❤️❤️❤️!” A crowd of gentleman turned and sneered at Henry as Jared walked him outside.

“God ****** Henry, keep your voice down. Listen, there’s not much we can do. We don’t have the money and I don’t know many people that are gonna be interested in this current team. Now I’ve got a guy close to the situation and he’s keeping me updated. I’m hoping we can avoid a situation like Bury, but it’s looking bleak.”

Henry chugged his scotch and sat down to catch his breath. Jared grabbed his shoulder and tried to console his friend. “Now listen, maybe it’s not the end. The club is hiring a bunch of youth scouts and they’re holding some tryouts for kids 12 and under next week. You should come and bring your grandkids.”

Henry stared into the stands at his grandson, fearing a future that he may not get to enjoy this beautiful game at this great club like he did.....
  • Ahmer50x
    23729 posts Club Captain
    Hopefully nothing like Bury, but a potential league two start may be interesting if you somehow got relegated over finances :tongue:
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Maybe the youngsters will help save the club maybe selling one or two may helped ease the debts?
  • theroyalschamp
    168 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hope you can get rid of the debt and not be like Bury. Good luck with this story.
  • Wiggie44
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Good luck with this, hopefully Ipswich can come through there financial difficulties
  • Wyojasond
    tenor.gif?itemid=10536980
  • Wyojasond
    JhmoHXl.jpg
    “The future is no more uncertain than the present”~ Walt Whitman

William Barnes looked out the window and watched as the snow gently fell. The first week of December had truly been eventful. The last few months had seen him put in more overtime than he ever could have imagined but hopefully it was all coming to an end soon. One way or another, something major was about to happen with the club he worked for...

“Hey babe, here’s your tea.” His wife walked into his office and wrapped her arms around him. She glanced at the laptop, knowing the stress her husband had been under for the last few months. “Can’t believe they won again this weekend, only 5 points off the playoffs right?”

“Yep....I’m just as surprised as you. With everything going on around the club, I have to give all the players some credit. The way they are battling is incredible.....I just hope it’s for nothing.”

His wife kissed him on the cheek and left. William went back to his laptop and started scrolling around again. How Ipswich Town had climbed to 7th in the table was nothing short of a miracle. After news had leaked of the team possibly being sold and the even more damning news of possible administration the mood around the club was at an all time low.

As William sipped his tea, his cell rang. “Hello? Yes sir, I have all the paperwork ready. The meeting is set for 8am tomorrow. I have laid out all the teams debts and other incentives you have asked for. They seem interested but I fully expect some pushback tomorrow.”

As William ends the call with his boss, Marcus Evans, he gets up and walks to the window with his tea. “I’m not a spiritual man” he says to himself, “but god help us if this deal doesn’t happen tomorrow”
  • Stlducks
    2273 posts Fans' Favourite
    Intense times for the club. Would be great if the club made the playoff and new owners took over. Earning promotion and coming into new money.