433(x) / non-meta formations discussion thread - various formation CTs in first post

madwullie
6439 posts Big Money Move
edited February 17
Leoni's 433(5) custom tactics

General concensus is that these are the perfect 433(5) tactics for a possession based high pressing game. @EisenErmin myself and someone else I can't remember who all achieved Gold 1 having applied these tactics. @Leoni himself achieves elite using these mostly. Massive thanks to him for his work in coming up with these, and his friendliness at sharing them 🤝 👍 🙇

@Feurez elite finish 433(5) cts and blurb

Feurez wrote: »
madwullie wrote: »
Btw @Feurez and @Salvatori if you lads could post your tactics here I'll add them to the op given they are proven elite finish instructions.

It's a pain in the arse to trawl back and copy paste on my phone or I'd just use your old posts 🙇

It’s an honor. ;)

433(5)
POHT 5 width 6 depth
Balanced 6 width 4 players in box

Instructions:
GK Sweeper Keeper
CBS default
LB/RB inverted/balanced
CDM Stay back/cover center
LCM Get forward/free roam/cover center/get into box
RCM cover center
LW stay wide/get in behind/come back on defence
RW come short/cut inside/come back on defence
CF default

I like my fullbacks on inverted to not have them overtake the winger on the outside because it is an area that is not very dangerous offensively (crossing is useless in FIFA 20) more likely dangerous for myself when I lose the ball and the opponent can counter. On inverted the fullbacks are more centralized and the way to get back is shorter when losing possession.

The LW stays wide so the attacking LCM (CF/CAM type player) has space to make runs inside the box.
As the RW I have Suarez at the moment so it makes no sense to have him on get in behind. He should act like a supporting striker/winger hybrid, rather helping in building up attacks than finishing them.

By the way, when the GK has sweeper keeper as instruction, he should have decent speed. I play Neuer FB who has 63 speed which really helps clearing through balls

@Salvatori 442 CTs
Salvatori wrote: »
Formation:

442 Standard (2 x CM)

Tactics

Defensive style = Balanced

Width = 5

Depth = 4

Offensive Style = Balanced

Width = 5

Players in box = 4

Corners = 2

Free Kicks = 2

Instructions

GK - Default (if i had a keeper with 60+ speed i would use sweeper keeper)

RB/LB - Stay back while attacking, Overlap

CB - Default

RM / LM - Come back on defence, get into the box for cross

RCM (defensive) - Stay Back While Attacking, Cover Centre, Stay on the Edge of Box for Cross

LCM (attacking) - Get Into The Box For Cross , Cover Centre

ST - Stay Central

Summary / Approach

This system really is designed around balance - hence the very balanced settings. It is probably not well suited for extreme possession types, nor for extreme counter attack types. IT aims to blend the chance to mix in both.

The absolute key to the 442, in my eyes, is to use the passing triangles. Always look to pass in a triangles - there are so many and you can link so many players like that, and it generally means you always have a passing option. This is not really set up by any particular instructions, just advice i got given on how to effectively use the 442 from better players than me. IF you are struggling, ask yourself if you are using your passing triangles, or are you trying to over play and force things, or are you going side to side too much?

In terms of the instructions - Stay back on FBs is just far more controlled. Sure i use them to attack, and i always can by triggering them. One of my "triangles" i use a lot is LB to LM, triggering the LB run as i do the first pass, then LM to LCM, then LCM to LB, who has now advanced. If i have them on balanced or join the attack, i find 2 things happen - 1) I get caught out on the counter, because they bomb on regardless of whether the situation is suited to it and 2) They get ahead of the ball too quickly,so are not really a suitable possession outlet.

I really like the wingers on minimal instruction - come back on defence simply ensures they track an opposing fullback if one attacks. IT does not drag them too deep in general gameplay, and given that most opponents dont attack with fullbacks anyway, it often does not have a huge impact. The lack of any "get in behind" or "come short" or "cut inside" etc just works for me - they are exactly where a winger should be. I use the through ball from fullback to winger a lot, especially against narrow opponents.The addition of "get in box" also really helps because if i have the ball on one wing, the opposing winger moves in to be a real threat. I dont do crossing (litterally ever!) but winger cuts back to RCM, now there are lots of options in the box for the next pass.

Thats about it. Not everyones thing, but its taken my game up a level or 2.

Delboy13710 's 3421 tactics

Feurez wrote: »
Managed to finish e3 ! 🙂
Using 3421 and the (5) of course as my only 2 formations . More impressed with some of the wins I managed against some Elite players/Teams .

20200120-065024.jpg

Great result, mate. Congrats!

Even more impressive using two off-meta formations even though I think the formation always have to fit someone’s play style and probably none of us would like to play the proclaimed meta YouTube 4231 style. I don’t even know if anyone around here would be more successful results wise using the 4231.

Did you change your play style much when playing 3421 compared to the (5)? Want to test it this week along with other formations that favour possession based play style

Thanks man ,

Does play differently , same principles possesion football but with the 3421 the possesion is out wide instead of centrally .I Have loads of good wingers so made sense to give it a try, I find offensively I was creating alot more clear cut chances
I was switching to the (5) after I went 2 up . As playing possesion football through the middle is alot easier when the opposition is trying to score .

How are you running the 3421 exactly mate? Cts but more importantly player instructions? Congrats on the weekend league result

Cheers copy and paste job from a few pages back .

Pressure on heavy touch

Possesion

2/2

LM/RM Get in behind
LCM/ stay back /cover centre
RCM/ Cover Centre
RF/LF False 9/ stay Central
ST Get in behind

Just basically all out attack and suicide defending .

(5) Custom Tactics 3rd December

Screenshot-20191203-143236-Companion.jpg

Instructions:

LW: come back, free roam, GiB, get into box
CF: false 9, come back on defence
RW: come back, free roam, come short, get into box
CMs: Get forward, get into box, free roam, cover wing
CDM: cut passing lanes, stay back, cover centre
LB: balanced, aggressive, overlap
RB: stay back, aggressive, overlap

Here they are as a video if you prefer that

A lot more defensive than I used to play but it means I'm not leaking as many stupid goals. Still enjoying the 10 depth although @Leoni says it causes issues at higher levels

Custom Tactics 15th November

Currently using a mixture of barcelona and man city's tactics for the 433(5). See this video for details.

Custom Tactics 26th October

Current tactic I'm using

For the (5) I'm using

Poht
5/5

Balanced
6/4/3/3

LW: FR, GiB, SF
CF: F9
RW: FR, CS
CMs: GF, FR, CW
CDM: CPL, DBD, CC
FBs: Overlap

And at the start I put attacking full backs on in dpad tactics and turn it off if need to be more defensive.

👍

This is a link to my YouTube where I upload probably too many 433(5) matches.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiObApQXiySha3QewTvDl6g

Also I've started streaming the (5) - no camera or mic yet guys sorry to disappoint.

www.twitch.tv/madwullie

@EisenErmin mini guide

General thoughts about the 433(5) and other 433 variations (@EisenErmin)

Might be helpful for “new” players and “veterans”

The 433(5) is perfect for buildup play at slow or normal pace (not rushing it) and getting all players involved. I average possession of 60% (up to 70%) and accuracy of >85% (up to >90%). More often than not I am looking for the best chance to finish and I do pass a lot even inside the box when I see an open teammate (don’t get me wrong, it is not passing without any purpose or timewasting at all). The most important advice I can give is: LET GO THE SPRINT BUTTON in buildup play. It really helps in spotting save passing options and helps your teammates to make deadly runs.

Some “golden rules” for the 433(3) that will improve your game a lot if you force yourself to do it. Don’t fall into the usual habits. Instead play focused and try to implement some of the following tips into your game. Results don`t matter at first, it is just about getting better in certain areas. The wins will come, trust me.

A) Don’t sprint in attack unless you have a huge opening/space. In buildup, in the box, in tight areas,…don’t sprint!!!! If in doubt = don’t sprint. If you lost the ball = more often than not sprinting was the reason for it. By not sprinting you might miss a breakaway or opportunity to counter-attack once or twice per game, but you will keep the ball 20 times per game where you would have lost it when sprinting. That’s 20 times were you give the opponent the opportunity to come at your goal!! Try it out: Play a game and NEVER sprint at all (only in defending sprinting is allowed). You will be surprised how good your passing, vision and chance creation will be.

B. ) Pay attention which player the opponent is controlling. That’s way easier when not sprinting btw. If your opponent is manually tracking runners = you can just move foreward/looking on the radar/planning your next move/…. as your player is not pressured at all. That’s huge this year as AI defending is not aggressive at all, leaving you unpressured almost always if the opponent is not putting pressure on the ball manually. If the opponent is pressuring/attacking your player = you can simply pass it around. If the opponent is not tracking runners = jackpot, as you can play a through ball and your runner is in behind. Opponents that defend like last year (AI defending and sitting deep with everyone) just rely on your mistake to give away the ball by making a stupid pass or running into them. Don’t do them the favour. My mantra was and still is: “If they don’t want the ball, they don’t get the ball”

C) Dictate the speed of the game. Mix it up, play safe and then risky depending on the situation. Don´t be fooled in always going foreward. Passing sideways or backwards is great for keeping the ball, to have a look at the radar and your players on the pitch and then start the attack again. The 433(5) is a passing formation like no other, so make use of it. A high speed box to box game is not what you want for 90 minutes.

D) Play 1-2-3 passes, not only 1-2 passes. The 433(5) allows lots of really nice passing combinations. Example: 1-2 pass is CM to CF to CM while 1-2-3 pass is CM to CF to RW to CM. You can involve even more players in one attacking sequence. Think ahead and don’t spam 1-2 passes without any purpose. The 433(5) is about outplaying the oposition, not about 1-2 spamming and 70% passing acuracy. (Of course go for the easy 1-2 pass if you have the chance to easily beat the defender.)

E) Be unpredictable: most opponents cover passing lanes now and if you pay attention you will notice were they move their player in certain areas. Exploit that! If you do them the favour to pass into their cover they will feel rewarded and keep doing so. If you mix it up, dribble or make a skill move or even shoot from long range from time to time, you keep them guessing and have to leave their own “comfort zone”. Same is true against players that move the GK. Don’t shoot were they most likely expect you to shoot. Make a ball roll, a fake shot or whatever you like and then shoot into wide open areas of the net.

F) Keep any eye for teammates and tap in goals. When in shooting situations right in front of the keeper and your teammate(s) are like 10 yards to the left or right(and not offside of course), just pass it to them for a tap in goal. I see so many players shooting instead of passing. Shooting may have a chance of 80% to get into the net, while a pass for an empty net tap in has 99% chance for a goal, what`s the right move here? Got it?

G) Don´t get isolated and don´t rush head first into 3 defenders Getting isolated with your player on the ball is quite easy to avoid if you have good vision and think ahead. But sometimes it is happening regardless. So if you are realizing that you got yourself isolated: stay calm, slow it down, use the close dribbling and protecting/shielding the ball and buy yourself some time to give your teammates a chance to come towards you for an easy pass or make runs into open space.
The other thing to avoid at all costs is running head first into a brick wall of opposition players. Every game you will see your (average) opponent sprinting with his striker into an area occupied by several of your players. The chance to benefit from doing so is very slim. Almost always you are going to lose the ball. Conclusion: If you are outnumbered pass it backwards or to the side instead of running into a dead end or even worse straight into the opposition for a turnover.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful and even though most of you already know these things in theory, but if you are honest: you (and me) will make bad decisions (often the same bad decisions over and over) each and every game even though you/we know better, right?

Try to work on some things here and there and your game will improve for sure.

Thanks for reading and may the 433(5) rule the Weekend League!

Initial Post

Might as well get this baby up and running while we're getting ready for release. Must admit the month or so off has given me a little of the buzz back for 20, although my experience in the beta has kinda dampened that enthusiasm somewhat. Still, no need to be angry about something that hasn't happened yet. Release versions (and early patches) have rendered beta and demo experiences null and void in previous years and no reason to think this year will be different.

As usual I'll be tinkering with the (5) as much as possible while also trying out other formations here and there. I used to also try out 4231 but its infamy as meta last year means I'm not so keen. I'll probably try out the 4411 versions as well.

Bring it on.

Post edited by madwullie on

Comments

• BeerInsured
    130 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Loved the thread last year! Keep it up!
  • sjncomic
    441 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great to be back! Just annoyed Messi is now a winger. But during beta, I “heard” agile players were great In the 9 and even guys like Illicic did well. Can’t wait to see what everyone brings this year.
  • dylanmaasie
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    4-3-3 false9 B)
  • Gnomenclature
    5694 posts Big Money Move
    I'm thinking the slower gameplay and crisper passing in 20 will make the (5) excellent! Gonna be tough finding goalscoring cms early on though. Gold firmino will be great in the early stages.
  • john_d_efc
    427 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bookmarking this thread. Cant wait to see what tactics pop up.

Also, POTM Pukki at CF? 90 Vision and 90 Short Passing in game
  • Renamed123456
    6198 posts Big Money Move
    Here in case i return. Had fun with the 5.
  • mihain247
    1515 posts Play-Off Hero
    4-3-3 the formation for beautiful football and fifa
  • madwullie
    Fingers 🤞 this year the (5) is as playable as it initially was last year.

Will probably start with a similar set up to what I was playing at the end of 19 and tweak from there.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the web-app tonight 🍆
  • win123vn
    529 posts An Exciting Prospect
    4-3-3 false9 B)

my favor :smiley:
  • nicitel32
    2607 posts Fans' Favourite
    loved the 5 last year...looking forward to see some great star squads here...hoping to pack something decent tonight from starter packs....btw i need acuna in my first team...he looks great as LCM
  • madwullie
    edited September 2019
    Haven't even looked at a starter team yet. Woke up hyped this morning but barely given it a second thought for months. For me it's all about the fast inverted wingers, so wherever I can find them on a budget is where I'll be looking for my starter team
  • Im back and thread bookmarked! Love the 5!
  • madwullie
    Pulled suarez from marquee match ups 🍆

That's my first cf sorted in the (5)
  • Renamed123456

You lot get absolute liberties of pulls.
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    @madwullie Here we go again.... showing the "meta" clowns how to play real football. I love it....
  • madwullie

Also got casemiro. I've used 12k of points mind you
  • madwullie
    EisenErmin wrote: »
    @madwullie Here we go again.... showing the "meta" clowns how to play real football. I love it....

💪
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    Played my 5 rivals placing games with the 4411 and won 2, lost 2 and drew 1. That puts me in Div.6.

Then played two Rivals with the false nine 433(5) and won them 4-0 and 5-1. I guess 433(5) it is then from now on :smile:
  • Gamble
    533 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Enjoying 433-4. I really didn't get on with it last year, but it's working a treat this time round.
  • ColeWorld
    11904 posts Has That Special Something
    09914-a8ee5e6b-d012-4b7a-ab04-1e9ecdcf5431.png

formation is really nice
  • Renamed123456

Also got casemiro. I've used 12k of points mind you

Ah fair nuff.

I imagine I'd still pull nothin with that! Ha.
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    edited September 2019
    Traded my way up from nothing to this team. Running the 433(5) :smile:

D. Costa --- Ben Yedder --- Thauvin
    Draxler --- Rabiot --- Aouar
    Dalbert --- Kimpembe -- Denayer --- Meunier
    A. Lopes

Everyone is on full chem, starting in the 451(2).

First impressions:

Rabiot is insane. He breaks up the play, is very physical and he scores lots of goals from CDM aswell. I can totally recommend him. Value for coins 10 out of 10. And he links up french dudes and Juventus. I am surprised he is so cheap (7K).

Draxler and Aouar are budget players but they have the finishing you need in the CM spot when playing the false nine. Draxler has 5 star weak foot which is great of course.
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    Any false 9 starter squads?
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    BlitzersNL wrote: »

See my post above. Not really a cheap starter squad, but you could replace D.Costa and Ben Yedder with some cheaper guys and also replace Kimpembe with someone else. That said, the midfield of Rabiot, Draxler and Aouar is around 12K combined and they run the show.
  • BlitzersNL
    25004 posts Player of the Year
    BlitzersNL wrote: »

See my post above. Not really a cheap starter squad, but you could replace D.Costa and Ben Yedder with some cheaper guys and also replace Kimpembe with someone else. That said, the midfield of Rabiot, Draxler and Aouar is around 12K combined and they run the show.

Oh, I'm starting with 3142 this year.

Was curious what people came up with
  • FCBlunt
    3122 posts National Call-Up
    Might as well pop in with a formation for Barca styled play.

433 Holding (ST and 1 CDM) works for 433(5) as well.

Balanced:
    Depth 7
    Width 6
    Pressure on heavy touch.
    W 6
    Possession

Both wings freeroam.
    Both CM’s freeroam.
    LB/RB, overlap.

Offensive:
    Fast build up
    Depth 9
    Add “join attack” on LB/RB.

All out:
    High pressure
    Still depth 9
    Add Get forward to CM’s
    Add CDM fall back in defensive line.

ENJOY!
    (The key is to make your balanced work by making your opponent get forward)
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    FCBlunt wrote: »

Balanced:
    Depth 7
    Width 6
    Pressure on heavy touch.
    W 6
    Possession

Both wings freeroam.
    Both CM’s freeroam.
    LB/RB, overlap.

Offensive:
    Fast build up
    Depth 9

All out:
    High pressure
    Still depth 9
    Add Get forward to CM’s

ENJOY!

@FCBlunt

What exactly do you mean by "The key is to make your balanced work by making your opponent get forward" ???
    Maybe i am just stupid, but i dont get it mate :smile:
  • FCBlunt
    3122 posts National Call-Up
    FCBlunt wrote: »

Balanced:
    Depth 7
    Width 6
    Pressure on heavy touch.
    W 6
    Possession

Both wings freeroam.
    Both CM’s freeroam.
    LB/RB, overlap.

Offensive:
    Fast build up
    Depth 9

All out:
    High pressure
    Still depth 9
    Add Get forward to CM’s

ENJOY!

@FCBlunt

What exactly do you mean by "The key is to make your balanced work by making your opponent get forward" ???
    Maybe i am just stupid, but i dont get it mate :smile:

No wonder, I messed that up. :joy:

The key to making this tactic work is forcing your opponents to pressure you, only then will the balanced work to its full extent.
    That’s why the offesive and all out strategies are important if you play an opponent that just wont chase the ball at all. It might help you to get a goal and force them to chase the game.

There, I fixed it up. :smile:
  • madwullie
    edited September 2019
    Played my first two games. Wife phoned in the middle of the first 🤬 so had to quit. Second I won 2-0 against another (5) user (?!), casemiro got sent off for two very soft bookings so I had to close it down and move to 4231 for the second half. Relatively comfortable in the end. Just playing everything on default atm but with possession set. Will try @FCBlunt 's setup at some point soon though. 4 players on free roam is exactly the kind of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ that gets my juices flowing
  • EisenErmin
    9045 posts League Winner
    Played my first two games. Wife phoned in the middle of the first 🤬 so had to quit. Second I won 2-0 against another (5) user (?!), casemiro got sent off for two very soft bookings so I had to close it down and move to 4231 for the second half. Relatively comfortable in the end. Just playing everything on default atm but with possession set. Will try @FCBlunt 's setup at some point soon though. 4 players on free roam is exactly the kind of **** that gets my juices flowing

I am using very few instructions so far myself, everything on balanced and posession buidup. But i have get foreward on my two CM.