The Football thread featuring COVID-19: Der Klassiker

Comments

• Crossland
    9206 posts League Winner
    Dubbly wrote: »
    Pietu wrote: »
    From who I have seen

I haven't seen Henry, Shearer, Ronaldo in the PL, can't understand English? ;)

To be fair, you didn’t specify live if you want to get into English specifics. I understood. Still don’t understand how you would think that though.

Was Gerrard on the subs bench that day? :lol:

If we’re talking footballing talent then I would tend to agree Suarez was the most gifted Liverpool player since the turn of the century.

Premier League didn’t start at the turn of the century though?

The discussion is of all time in the Premier League, no?

I was born in 98 so didn’t get to see the players before then. But even still. My dad reckons only one who would rival Suarez talent wise is Barnes.

There have been a fair few that would have rivald Suarez talent wise but Barnes was outrageous,Suarez was amazing but he wouldn't be in my top 5 all time prem players far from it
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    Monday morning musings - following Agueros ‘record’ at the weekend, who is the greatest PL player of all time?

From who I have seen, probably Suarez

Ffs lad. Always Liverpool fans 😅
  • Crossland
    9206 posts League Winner
    Monday morning musings - following Agueros ‘record’ at the weekend, who is the greatest PL player of all time?

😂😂😂
  • Pietu
    6172 posts Big Money Move

Or I just haven't watched Football for long and he is the best Prem player I have seen in the time that I have watched?
  • Choepiechakie
    32819 posts National Team Captain

Or I just haven't watched Football for long and he is the best Prem player I have seen in the time that I have watched?

But you've watched players like Aguero van persie atleast too
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 13

So you just went with a completely different criteria to the question asked? 😅

Gerrard is without question Pools greatest ever PL player. I’d even have Torres, Fowler and Alonso above Suarez personally but if you’d won the league in that great Suarez year would probably be different.
  • Andy99TradeZ
    15954 posts World Class
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    The question was greatest player not goal scorer

Right I know, I said Shearer not only for the goals record but because of the titles he, (from what I’ve been told) just carried his teams too.

That ain't it chief

He won the league with Blackburn and Newcastle didn’t he?

Ah just googled and it was only Blackburn. Like I said I’d not watched him but thought he won the league with Newcastle too.

I think he turned down united before he went to Blackburn? May be wrong there but if he did come to us and scored a similar amount winning several prem titles he'd be classed as the greatest i reckon
    The question was greatest player not goal scorer

Right I know, I said Shearer not only for the goals record but because of the titles he, (from what I’ve been told) just carried his teams too.

That ain't it chief

He won the league with Blackburn and Newcastle didn’t he?

Ah just googled and it was only Blackburn. Like I said I’d not watched him but thought he won the league with Newcastle too.

I think he turned down united before he went to Blackburn? May be wrong there but if he did come to us and scored a similar amount winning several prem titles he'd be classed as the greatest i reckon

So you’d say someone like Giggs then I’d imagine?

I'm not sure.

I'm not saying shearer isn't, he's right up there with the best
  • Hicksy2011
    15692 posts World Class
    its a tough question and really depends on what way you look at it
    I mean Lampard is the 4th top scorer of all time (from midfield FFS) and the 4th top assister of all time, and actually won the prem 3 times unlike a few others
    Its like how much do we balance longevity vs actual talent levels
  • Pietu

Gerrard is without question Pools greatest ever PL player. I’d even have Torres, Fowler and Alonso above Suarez personally but if you’d won the league in that great Suarez year would probably be different.

You don’t understand? How can I compare him to the likes of Torres, Fowler and Alonso when I haven't seen them play? I can't. I can't compare Suarez to players I haven't seen play and out of those I have seen play, he is the best.
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    its a tough question and really depends on what way you look at it
    I mean Lampard is the 4th top scorer of all time (from midfield FFS) and the 4th top assister of all time, and actually won the prem 3 times unlike a few others
    Its like how much do we balance longevity vs actual talent levels

Longevity definitely comes into it. It’s why I don’t put Ronaldo in United best ever PL team.

Lampard is up there for me, easy top 10 possibly higher if I really thought about it.
  • Pietu

But you've watched players like Aguero van persie atleast too

For me, he is better than Aguero but not by much and I don’t think I saw Van Persies best seasons.
  • RealM
    6219 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 13
    Henry is the greatest player to be in the Prem.

Edit: According to experts though it's probably VVD.
  • Choepiechakie
    RealM wrote: »
    Henry is the greatest player to be in the Prem.

Edit: According to experts though it's probably VVD.

Yeah top 3 for sure, but like everyone in that top 3 can be made a case for
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25062 posts Player of the Year
    Gedson having his Spurs medical today
  • Dubbly
    1236 posts Professional

Wish I did that bloody SBC over Xmas now. Just couldn’t be bothered.
  • ORANGEeffect05

Yea I wasn't bothered at the time either :(
  • BrentfordFC
    13331 posts Has That Special Something

I did :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05

I did :trollface:

I know who to hack then :trollface:
  • Antparry92
    19145 posts World Class

So what will happen with it now? I done home because he cost next to nothing
  • RealM
    Looks like Valverde's time is up. Meeting with the press coming up soon.
  • LFC Simon 98
    19529 posts World Class

Suarez was better than Torres and Fowler for sure. As an overall footballer. I much prefer Torres but if I could only pick one from their prime to go into the Liverpool team today it would 100% be Suarez and the vast majority of the Liverpool thread agree that Suarez is the ‘best’ player to have played for Liverpool in the Premier League era. Sure he wasn’t there that long but he was so talented.
  • Choepiechakie
    I feel like suarez impact on pool is a huge factor, he literally made the club relevant again
  • ORANGEeffect05

I know Poch previously pledged loyalty to Espanol, but would he really pass up the chance to manage Messi?
  • Crossland
    9206 posts League Winner
    edited January 13

Suarez was better than Torres and Fowler for sure. As an overall footballer. I much prefer Torres but if I could only pick one from their prime to go into the Liverpool team today it would 100% be Suarez and the vast majority of the Liverpool thread agree that Suarez is the ‘best’ player to have played for Liverpool in the Premier League era. Sure he wasn’t there that long but he was so talented.

Don't agree,Stevie G is the best player to have played for Liverpool in the Prem era and it's not even close and I even go to say VVD is already better than Suarez was for Liverpool different players obviously but for sheer impact VVD and Gerrard are in a league off their own for the reds.

VVD has turned Liverpool into premier league champions something Gerrard and Suarez could never do
  • Dubbly
    1236 posts Professional

If Spurs progress through the tournament, his card will change to a CL RTTF and he’ll become a spurs player.
  • RealM

I know Poch previously pledged loyalty to Espanol, but would he really pass up the chance to manage Messi?

Loyalty isn't the same anymore imo, if offered the job I think he would take it.
  • arsenalap
    7617 posts League Winner
    Crossland wrote: »

Don't agree,Stevie G is the best player to have played for Liverpool in the Prem era and it's not even close and I even go to say VVD is already better than Suarez was for Liverpool different players obviously but for sheer impact VVD and Gerrard are in a league off their own for the reds.

VVD has turned Liverpool into premier league champions something Gerrard and Suarez could never do

Suarez had the best individual season for a Liverpool player in the prem.

In terms of actual quality as a player I'd say it's all pretty even. Suarez, Gerrard and VVD at peaks are and were pretty close.
  • ORANGEeffect05

Loyalty isn't the same anymore imo, if offered the job I think he would take it.

Agreed. In terms of managerial opportunities following a sacking it doesn't get much better.
  • Antparry92
    19145 posts World Class

If Spurs progress through the tournament, his card will change to a CL RTTF and he’ll become a spurs player.

Thought that might have been too good to be true. Looks like I’ve lucked out then
  • LFC Simon 98
    19529 posts World Class
    Crossland wrote: »

VVD has walked into a far stronger team than Suarez was with. And stronger than 90% of the teams Gerrard was in. So that’s a difficult comparison. Suarez has more goals/assists in a single season than anyone ever has. He tied the goal scoring record at 31 and missed the first 5 games cause he’s a racist.

He was making a team with Johnson - Skrtel - Sakho - Flanagan as the backline Win games with ease. As an individual player he’s the best I’ve seen in a Liverpool shirt. By a distance.