The Football thread featuring COVID-19: congrats to the red Scousers

Comments

• ccooaattssyy
    11831 posts Has That Special Something
    Alternative title: Remember when Pogba was not overrated?

Vidal Pirlo Pogba Marchisio was a saucy midfield.
  • Alemas_2012
    17835 posts World Class
    edited April 4

Vidal Pirlo Pogba Marchisio was a saucy midfield.

It's funny that despite the several millions pumped into our squad since then, we've struggled to match a midfield that cost... 12.5 million, the amount Vidal cost. :joy:
    Pirlo and Pogba were free, Marchisio came from our youth system. :D
    Pjanic, by comparison, cost 32 million...
  • Kennyy
    1174 posts Professional
    Thoughts on footballers taking a 30% pay cut?

That’s a lot of tax lost (if they were paying it)
  • hoban95
    55168 posts National Treasure

Colo99 <3
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25698 posts Player of the Year

Then people said how overrated he was after watching him for the first time in that CL final. They expected him to run the show from LCM against a right side including Messi and Dani Alves :neutral:
  • jenksiee123
    24054 posts Club Captain
    Kennyy wrote: »
    Thoughts on footballers taking a 30% pay cut?

That’s a lot of tax lost (if they were paying it)

It's a tough one and don't think a lot who are hounding them to take one realise how much tax would be lost.
  • Alemas_2012
    17835 posts World Class
    edited April 4

Then people said how overrated he was after watching him for the first time in that CL final. They expected him to run the show from LCM against a right side including Messi and Dani Alves :neutral:

I don't clearly recall his performance there, but something tells me he was more concerned with keeping those two in check rather than showing off. :D
    Think the "overrated" tag came with his Manchester move more than anything.
    His performances were dropping off towards the end of his last season for us, he even admitted after the Coppa Italia final that he didn't do great in that match, but he was still some player.
    The overall feeling I get with him is that he'd still be very capable of being "Europe's best midfielder"... but only if he can be bothered. :D It's more a mentality thing with him.
    The talent's there, the skills are there, the physique's there... head, maybe not all that there.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25698 posts Player of the Year
    Mate said he was watching a classic Bundesliga match where Grafite-Dzeko was too much for Bayern to handle. What a partnership that was for a couple seasons.
  • Maverick
    6913 posts Big Money Move
    I'm not savvy with numbers so unsure of the tax cost and other behind the scene factors we don't know about, but looking at it from my POV, both Liverpool and these footballers not taking pay cuts look bad here.
  • Kennyy
    1174 posts Professional
    Maverick wrote: »
    I'm not savvy with numbers so unsure of the tax cost and other behind the scene factors we don't know about, but looking at it from my POV, both Liverpool and these footballers not taking pay cuts look bad here.

PFA are estimating £200m in taxes lost if they take the cut.

• Maverick
    6913 posts Big Money Move

Forgive me but what does that mean exactly? The PFA will have to pay about 200m in taxes at the end of the year?
  • Kennyy
    1174 posts Professional

Forgive me but what does that mean exactly? The PFA will have to pay about 200m in taxes at the end of the year?

No the PFA are estimating that the government will lose out on taxes up to £200mil if players take a 30% pay cut.

• arsenalap
    8181 posts League Winner

No the PFA are estimating that the government will lose out on taxes up to £200mil if players take a 30% pay cut.

Yh it's a lot but if it covers all the clubs staff costs then its better than using the gov money.
  • Kennyy
    1174 posts Professional
    arsenalap wrote: »

Yh it's a lot but if it covers all the clubs staff costs then its better than using the gov money.

Better that the government receive less money than it is using the governments money?
  • arsenalap
    8181 posts League Winner
    arsenalap wrote: »

Better that the government receive less money than it is using the governments money?

No I'm saying they'll be a medium point where taking a salary cut and using that money to pay staff will outweigh the tax doing the same thing imo.

It all depends on which players fall into which tax brackets so its complicated to be fair.
  • ccooaattssyy
    11831 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 4
    I think the players and clubs can have a massive positive impact, in a pretty terrible global situation to be honest.

Not sure that’s really happened yet.
  • Reus
    23503 posts Club Captain
    Instead of the media pressuring footballers into taking pay cuts they should be questioning why all of our social and emergency services are so tragically underfunded in the first place
  • LFC Simon 98
    19891 posts Club Captain
    Don’t defend Liverpool and don’t agree with the stance at all.

Then again Liverpool doing something to hurt the British government... not exactly a shock is it.
  • Tornado31619
    21578 posts Club Captain

I don't clearly recall his performance there, but something tells me he was more concerned with keeping those two in check rather than showing off. :D
    Think the "overrated" tag came with his Manchester move more than anything.
    His performances were dropping off towards the end of his last season for us, he even admitted after the Coppa Italia final that he didn't do great in that match, but he was still some player.
    The overall feeling I get with him is that he'd still be very capable of being "Europe's best midfielder"... but only if he can be bothered. :D It's more a mentality thing with him.
    The talent's there, the skills are there, the physique's there... head, maybe not all that there.

It's mainly been the price tag and Raiola's ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
    Don’t defend Liverpool and don’t agree with the stance at all.

Then again Liverpool doing something to hurt the British government... not exactly a shock is it.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I know that you disagree with their stance, but surely they can't be that petty. If they're letting the past cloud their judgement when over 600 people a day are dying, then that's far more than "negligence".
  • Tornado31619
    21578 posts Club Captain
    Okay, I don't generally mind the guy but what the ❤️❤️❤️❤️
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52161529
  • Arsenalfan97
    8267 posts League Winner
    We are assuming footballers are properly paying their takes here. I’d guess around half are maybe paying their taxes properly and aren’t using loopholes. I swear even wenger was caught using a tax loophole can’t quite remember exactly what it was though.
  • Pietu
    6870 posts Big Money Move
    Let's be honest, all billionaires should donate a chunk of money, every single one of those greedy ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
  • Reus
    23503 posts Club Captain
    edited April 5
    Pietu wrote: »
    Let's be honest, all billionaires should donate a chunk of money, every single one of those greedy ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Or maybe we should just tax them properly

Start by raising corporation tax
  • hoban95
    No not another England player...

Well i say England player loosely :D
  • hoban95
    I'm not sure this is the time for those comments. Football in this country is looking worse by the day.
  • Mackie17
    8459 posts League Winner
    McLean is an absolute bell end. I could find a thousand more obnoxious, biggotted and stupid from that twunt
  • arsenalap
    8181 posts League Winner
    McLean is known to be an absolute idiot anyway