Free Kicks and Penalties

JazzIsName
383 posts Sunday League Hero
Firstly, I should clarify that I'm not a FUT guy. I couldn't give a care about the mode. I'm a career mode man and always have been, always will be so my talking about the game relates to the single-player VS AI experience. The only online play I ever do with this game is co-op with my buddy and that is quite rare. Actually, while I mention that, it is quite frustrating that I can't do a co-op career. How is this not a thing?

Anyway, I have really have been enjoying the demo and to prove it I have played 20 hours of it. I was shocked when I saw that stat because it only felt like a couple of hours and that speaks volumes about how good the game feels. Normally, a demo is something I stick on and turn it off within 5 mins. Or, I may get an hour out of. Either way, I know what I need to know quickly. This game felt good immediately but the more I have played the better it is. There are some issues that need ironing out like lobbed through balls are just launched into nowhere with far too much power and crossing seems a little unpredictable at times, and that new crabbing backwards thing looks wrong/weird and is overpowered but the speed and the way it plays are leaps ahead of 19. So much better, it really is. The animations are better, the ball physics are better and in almost every measurable way this game is an improvement on last years disaster and I absolutely love these new cheeky little lofted passes you can do. I have been wanting this for years.

Consequently, I'm very excited at the prospect of this release and sincerely hope it is not turned into another numbingly dull high-speed nonsense but that remains to be seen. We know the form here so please EA, let's try not to mess this one up, alright?

However, these new free kicks and penalties are something of a concern. Firstly, I don't think I have had one of either in that +20 hours of playing. Not one whistle blew in open play to give me the chance to have a go. It's like the other team does not foul. That's concerning. As a result of that, the only times I have had a go has been when they come up before the match. Now my concerns may indeed be a little premature, granted. Until I sit down and just practice them for an hour I won't be certain but the new system is wonky. At this stage, it's not necessarily the way they are done. I will probably get used to that but it's just the absurd twitchiness of them. It's almost impossible to get any kind of consistency with them and that is with the indicator on. If I am playing locally I will have to turn it off or give the game away and then there is almost no hope at all. I understand that it is meant to be challenging and that there should be some twitchiness. I don't want to be able to score 5 free kicks out of 10 and 10 penalties out of 10 but in the current state of it on the demo the damned thing is all over the place with the tiniest fraction of a millimetre movement on my stick. I will be lucky to score 1 in 100 free kicks and 3 out of 10 penalties. Frankly, it's unusable as far as I'm concerned and that is such a shame because it really is an important part of the game. It's important to feel you have some control over them.

To tell you the truth I have not really enjoyed the way penalties and free-kicks have been done for years in FIFA. It has always felt too vague and was really looking forward to a change and when I saw how it was done in videos it looked far better this time. And, I think it would be if it wasn't so ridiculously twitchy. It's just far too much. Keep the system just tame the erratic nature of shot placement much more.

Anyhow, just my opinion. I am interested to hear what others think.

Comments

• I completely agree with everything you’re saying. Every year, you ask yourself... is this the year everything comes together, and there seems to always be something.

Last year... maybe the last 2, the free kick system was frankly abysmal, in most aspects, but for one reason in particular....

You would take the free kick with one camera angle, and as he struck it the camera would change, and you would end up, actually not having a good view of your free kick at all.

So I was so happy to see it was going to be changed this year. The system however seems way to convoluted. In pes, it’s literally aim... set your power, and apply swerve, and it all works very easily.

Just not a great system at all.
  • Danic123
    3784 posts National Call-Up
    Penalties seem awkward, but I noted last year v cpu, that unless I shifted the aim at the last second, the cpu would guess pretty much where every pen was going.
  • AI don’t make fouls that’s the problem. Same as always. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ joke
  • Verdi42
    301 posts Sunday League Hero
    I actually noticed the AI makes way more fouls in the demo than in FIFA 19. I had games where they got more than 3 yellow cards.
  • Henry14
    231 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Original poster, If you want the lobbed through passes to go lower press r1+l1 then triangle.
    . On the contrary for the free kicks, they are actually really fun and challenging. I luckily got the skill game twice before matches using Madrid so I've had practice. At first I was failing terribly but with a lot of trial and error(with kroos and bale) to really understand the mechanics I could comfortably make the keeper work if not score. The tip is don't be shy with the power, use the timed finishing and learn knuckle balls last. Hardest part is keeping the left stick in place.
    As for penalties I haven't really had them but so far they are underwhelming.
  • JazzIsName
    Original poster, If you want the lobbed through passes to go lower press r1+l1 then triangle.

Thanks, but it was not the height I was having trouble with. It was that the lobbed through ball was being overpowered even if I just tapped the button. I could be 5 yards from my own goal line and touch LB and Y and the ball would be a lobbed through ball almost the full length of the pitch. It was as though I had no real control of the power/distance it would go. It was just hoofed, regardless. However, I played a few matches on the demo this morn and the problem had vanished no trouble in the lobbed through ball department unlike my previous 20+ hours on the demo. All the matches felt way "quicker" as well. Which has had me wondering?

As for the free-kicks, as I said, my problem is not with the mechanics/system to perform them. My problem is controlling the indicator and consequently, the lack of consistency thereof. It's just too erratic. I can't figure out the nuances because I can never get the damned indicator in the same place twice. It flies around like a ferrets fart.
  • JazzIsName
    Verdi42 wrote: »
    I actually noticed the AI makes way more fouls in the demo than in FIFA 19. I had games where they got more than 3 yellow cards.

Curious that, I still have not had one.

• Henry14
    JazzIsName wrote: »

Thanks, but it was not the height I was having trouble with. It was that the lobbed through ball was being overpowered even if I just tapped the button. I could be 5 yards from my own goal line and touch LB and Y and the ball would be a lobbed through ball almost the full length of the pitch. It was as though I had no real control of the power/distance it would go. It was just hoofed, regardless. However, I played a few matches on the demo this morn and the problem had vanished no trouble in the lobbed through ball department unlike my previous 20+ hours on the demo. All the matches felt way "quicker" as well. Which has had me wondering?

As for the free-kicks, as I said, my problem is not with the mechanics/system to perform them. My problem is controlling the indicator and consequently, the lack of consistency thereof. It's just too erratic. I can't figure out the nuances because I can never get the damned indicator in the same place twice. It flies around like a ferrets fart.

OK good. Btw the "problem" didn't just vanish. You probably didn't hold down the left stick in direction you wanted the pass to go.
    . The indicator isn't meant to be easy to control. The higher the fk accuracy of the taker the easier it will be to place it. In cases were you do misplace it, there will be a bigger translucent and concentric circle around the indicator. If the circle overlaps with the goal use the timed finishing to compensate for the deviation, if you're lucky you'll get it on target. The free kick system is good Imo.
  • JazzIsName
    OK good. Btw the "problem" didn't just vanish. You probably didn't hold down the left stick in direction you wanted the pass to go.

I'm not new to this, buddy. I have been playing the game since FIFA International Soccer in 1993. Something was definitely awry. Whatever it was. It wasn't once or twice. It was every time. That's a lot of times over 20 hours. Also, the indicator on replay was very clear in what direction I was aiming. I don't know what the problem was but it was gone earlier today. I wondered if my controller was playing up as I just had a new replacement because of an analogue stick failure but upon trying another new one it was still happening.
    The indicator isn't meant to be easy to control. The higher the fk accuracy of the taker the easier it will be to place it. In cases were you do misplace it, there will be a bigger translucent and concentric circle around the indicator. If the circle overlaps with the goal use the timed finishing to compensate for the deviation, if you're lucky you'll get it on target. The free kick system is good Imo.

I appreciate your help but I do understand how it works and it all makes complete sense and I think I like the system, in principle. However, my argument is that the indicator control is just way too sensitive. As I said earlier though, I need a good sit down and practice for an hour but my problem now is that I can't get it to appear pre-match :D
  • Henry14
    @JazzisName lol ok. There wasn't a patch or anything of the sort for the demo to change such a mechanic but since you have 20 years of fifa experience I'll just leave it at that lol.
    .The indicator isn't too sensitive. Until you actually practice the thing I don't think you get to say anything conclusive about the indicator.
  • JazzIsName
    lol ok. There wasn't a patch or anything of the sort for the demo to change such a mechanic but since you have 20 years of fifa experience I'll just leave it at that lol.

I wish it was only 20 years :D FIFA 20 will be the first FIFA I play wearing specs. I'm lucky I have gotten this far without them I suppose :) However, it does now mean that I now miss graphical silliness like hands disappearing into legs and balls travelling through bodies so there are benefits.
    Until you actually practice the thing I don't think you get to say anything conclusive about the indicator.

Well, I did put that proviso in my original post ;)

• Henry14
    @JazzIsName I saw it. I just didnt get why you continued the rant about the free kicks in the op instead of leaving it as your initial I need to practice.
  • JazzIsName
    Henry14 wrote: »
    @JazzIsName I saw it. I just didnt get why you continued the rant about the free kicks in the op instead of leaving it as your initial I need to practice.

It wasn't a "rant". I was sharing my impression from my experience with it so far and was interested in others opinions regarding it. I have yours. Thank you for it.