Fifa 20 CMS Discussion Thread

Comments

• Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Alastair wrote: »
    Not sure I quite think points for goals is a good idea but I'd like to see some way to reward them. Potentially something like the Watney Cup which happened in England in the 70s.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions. Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.

What do you get for winning the Watney cup though? Is it just a preseason cup competition? If so, I think goals for points would be more beneficial to teams fighting to stay up or win promotion instead of another cup competition where the reward is not that big.

In the old days it was just a trophy.

In my idea you'd stick a decent amount of prize money on it. Could potentially have byes to a later round of the EFL Cup/Trophy as well. Potentially host it abroad. For a Legaue 2 fan potentially going away to the sun to play against a Premier League club it'd be popular. I'd definitely plan my summer around going. :joy:

• Danimal5981
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 21
    Actually, today an article appeared on the Ajax website with a research report from a professor in sports statistics (yes, there are such people).

He argues that indeed, a league of thirty games or longer creates complacency with a significant group of teams that have nothing to play for or against; they're too quickly too far removed from the top or the bottom.

Like me, he argues that a team needs to feel that one or two mishaps ought to be (near) lethal for the ambitions of such a team, which in a long league is not the case: suppose the Premier League would still be finished, Liverpool could come out and become champions losing more than they'd win, simply because of earlier results. And teams such as Newcastle, Everton, Southampton would have nothing to play for or against (theoretically maybe).

Which means that either you need to carve up the league (a bit like South America) or make a tournament form out of it (a bit like USA). His proposal concerns the Eredivisie (18 teams), which he wants to carve up in three groups of 6 teams each playing a mini-league of 10 games based on the finishing table of the year prior, before the top 2 promotes one group up and the bottom 2 go one group down. The philosophy behind it is akin to the UEFA Nations League where you play games against opponents more or less of the same level. The third time, or after 30 games, the winner of the top group is champion.

Now, you can have numerous variations on that: cut it in two parts, three parts, merge with a neighboring country and all that which was discussed here before.

The point is, as was the goal of the research: how do we create a more competitive element, yet in a more level playing field?
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looks like Ajax are not going to be awarded the title with the season voided. Hopefully PL does the same soon.
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    @Danimal5981 thoughts on the Dutch league voiding the year?

Off-topic: I just bought a laptop and this is my first time viewing the career modes on a desktop, graphics look great by everyone. Previously everything I did on this site was on my tablet or cell phone so it was hard to see everything clearly and making graphics became a pain. I'm thinking of starting a new career now that updates would be easier on a laptop and see how that goes.
  • Wyojasond
    14151 posts Has That Special Something
    Going to be interesting to see how the big leagues follow after the Dutch league announcement. I don’t like the idea of any league voiding there season. Think it’s kind of a cheap out.

That being said, I think the big leagues will still find a way to finish and as it stands, there’s no guarantees that next season will start on time so there’s absolutely no reason to rush the decision like Belgium and Netherlands have.

Also, after reading an article yesterday I don’t think there’s anyway that Liverpool won’t be awarded the title. Belgium awarded its winner as they were far ahead, its sounding like Scotland will do the same if it ends. Ajax and AZ were tied so there’s no way around that. Everyone knows the PL is over so if they decide to end, it’s beyond petty not to award the league to Liverpool. I’d feel the same way if it was United this far ahead 💁‍♂️
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 25
    I get what you're saying that Liverpool are so far ahead they should be awarded the title but I never like to assume anything in sports. I can see an argument both ways for it but my preference is that if the season cannot be finished, it should be voided. And that is not just so Liverpool do not win but the relegation battles and European spots are so close, it would be unfair to give them to whoever is ahead right now.

I actually like what the Eredivisie did. They show they do not care about money as much as leagues like the Premier League and want to focus on next season so just void this one and put all focus on next year. Leagues like the Premier League only care about money and if it were not for the TV revenue, we all know they would just cancel the season.
    Post edited by Stlducks on
  • Wyojasond
    I think part of the reason the big leagues will finish is because even low rated teams have the power to sue the league big time of they end early. No offense to the other leagues, but even there high rated teams don’t have the financial abilities to stop the league from doing what they want.
  • Ashy
    10790 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 26
    Can't just award Liverpool the title if they void the season declaring their champions in a ghost season while the rest of the league don't get awarded for their efforts for UCL EL spots and so on

You can't just end the season as it is now as the table stands because some teams that are in good position have potentially played easier teams and have some hard fixtures left.

Only way is to finish the season doesn't matter when it has to finish or its a failure
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero

I'm not sure how the government in England differs from America but I have noticed in America that mayors are coming out saying it doesn't matter what the league wants, they are not approving play in certain states. California and New York I know have previously said they would not allow it, even without fans in stadiums.

As a Liverpool hater (I'll admit it) the only plus of them winning the title is that nobody is going to remember it as the year of Liverpool being great. This will always be remembered as the year the league was on hold from a pandemic. In sports terms, that is the only positive I can take out of this year. :smile:
  • Wyojasond
    PSG just awarded the Ligue 1 title
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    PSG just awarded the Ligue 1 title

Pretty sure that happened 7 months ago
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    I was just reading an article on ESPN about Liverpool football club and the Liverpool city mayor disagree on the season restarting or being canceled. The funny twist is the mayor is an Everton fan so that makes people disagree with him right away thinking he is just being petty.

The mayor thinks restarting the season would be bad even behind closed doors because fans will crowd around Anfield even if they are told not to and the police will not be able to maintain order. The club said they talked to the head of the supporter's group and believe fans will respect the social distancing guidelines.
  • Alastair
    10207 posts Moderator
    Just seen this in the EFL thread.
    AtomicOdin wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    So then erm according to some leaks the EFL are scrapping relegation and 3 teams are getting promoted from each league
    Wycombe (currently 8th in the table and falling to pieces) are going to be the third team promoted from league 1
    Hmmmm not sure about that chief

Bristol Rovers team snapchat group has been leaked with Rodman telling his team mates what went on in the meeting. Sounds like L1 &2 are going to be done by ppg, no relegations and 3 up from every league this season, with more relegations at the end of next season to even out the leagues. Any games played before next year are looking like being behind closed doors. Sounds like the prem and champ are still trying to get games played this season though.

We are already releasing players and Cambridge have already finalised their retained list for next season. few others starting to release players as well. So looks like its definitely over for us in L2

Vid for the team call is here

• Danimal5981
    @Danimal5981 thoughts on the Dutch league voiding the year?.

I honestly would agree, fully: it is what I would've done.

• Danimal5981
    Football, as anything else, is legally bound by the temporary rules and given that most countries do not allow public events at least until deep into summer, the most sensible thing is to cease and start over next year or season.
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    Football, as anything else, is legally bound by the temporary rules and given that most countries do not allow public events at least until deep into summer, the most sensible thing is to cease and start over next year or season.

I would agree, that is what I thought at first and now seeing it happen both ways with Eredivisie voiding the season and PSG being awarded the title. Voiding the season sits better with me personally as PSG being given the title just doesn't feel right even though they would have won anyway.

I'm starting to think the same with the NBA, if they start back up again but only play the playoffs I do not feel like the winner is going to be worthy. The season was shortened, there was a two-month break and the grind of making the playoffs then continuing on is no longer there. It just doesn't feel right after being off this long.
  • Danimal5981

I would agree, that is what I thought at first and now seeing it happen both ways with Eredivisie voiding the season and PSG being awarded the title. Voiding the season sits better with me personally as PSG being given the title just doesn't feel right even though they would have won anyway.

I'm starting to think the same with the NBA, if they start back up again but only play the playoffs I do not feel like the winner is going to be worthy. The season was shortened, there was a two-month break and the grind of making the playoffs then continuing on is no longer there. It just doesn't feel right after being off this long.

You watching "Last Dance" on Netflix, about the final masterstroke of the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls? Brilliant docu-series in my opinion
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero

You watching "Last Dance" on Netflix, about the final masterstroke of the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls? Brilliant docu-series in my opinion

Yes I am. I'm not a fan of today's NBA and I was too young to really appreciate MJ and the Bulls so it is great to see new footage. I really enjoyed the NBA from 2000 to 2010ish. These last few years I have lost interest.

Apparently Kobe Bryant had a special camera crew following him around his final season too and ESPN plan to sit on that footage for a while before releasing his own docu-series.
  • Virtual_K
    1858 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2

Yes I am. I'm not a fan of today's NBA and I was too young to really appreciate MJ and the Bulls so it is great to see new footage. I really enjoyed the NBA from 2000 to 2010ish. These last few years I have lost interest.

Apparently Kobe Bryant had a special camera crew following him around his final season too and ESPN plan to sit on that footage for a while before releasing his own docu-series.

I was heavily into NBA (Lakers) from about 1998 to Kobe's retirement. Caused me some health problems, so I've since toned down my emotional ties to sports. I have a niece who is the same age as Kobe's oldest daughter. They played against each other in a soccer tournament back in 2015, and Kobe was sitting in a beach chair about ten yards away from me and my sister's family. Brought my Kobe jersey, but never got him to sign it (didn't want to intrude on his space). May he rest in peace. :'(

• Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    Virtual_K wrote: »

I was heavily into NBA (Lakers) from about 1998 to Kobe's retirement. Caused me some health problems, so I've since toned down my emotional ties to sports. I have a niece who is the same age as Kobe's oldest daughter. They played against each other in a soccer tournament back in 2015, and Kobe was sitting in a beach chair about ten yards away from me and my sister's family. Brought my Kobe jersey, but never got him to sign it (didn't want to intrude on his space). May he rest in peace. :'(

I'm sure die-hard Kobe fans took his appearance in the Last Dance pretty hard. Still hard to believe he is gone but the footage of MJ saying "That young Laker kid is going to try taking everyone one on one" is pretty cool to see. Especially considering they became really close friends later on.

If anyone is looking for some documentaries on soccer/football to watch;
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/football-documentaries-how-to-watch-netflix-amazon-prime/5pq9ak16251u1dm0ye7hkcp7u

Just finished the Cruyff one, I did not realize the impact he had outside of sports at that time.
    In Cruyff – The Last Match (2015), the documentary looks into the historic signing of Johan Cruyff for FC Barcelona and how it was not only a sports revolution but a social and cultural one.
  • Kyle
    925 posts Semi-Pro
    So is Fifa Volta just a Fifa street game mode. I hated Fifa street but a lot of people enjoyed it I still remember being so angry at Rivaldo or some other Brasil legend being so over powered.
  • Wyojasond
    So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend? I’m not gonna lie, I’m so hard up for some real sports right now 😂

Looks like then PL is pushing back its startup date again for a bit.
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend? I’m not gonna lie, I’m so hard up for some real sports right now 😂

Looks like then PL is pushing back its startup date again for a bit.

I will be. I enjoy the Bundesliga anyways so I'm excited it's back. It is going to be strange not seeing fans but still better than watching games from 2000 like I currently am.
  • Hello guys!

I'm new to Career Mode Stories but I'm already loving it! I play career mode all the time and I'm really looking forward to starting my own Career Mode Story. You guys have made some awesome content from what I've looked at so far and some of them are amazing. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from you lot lol.

I think I'm going to start a Portsmouth RTG career mode for here and I hope you guys will like it!
  • Virtual_K
    1858 posts Play-Off Hero
    bShH1S1.jpg

Surviving the lock down. :D
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero
    bShH1S1.jpg

Surviving the lock down. :D

Everything is open 100% where I live. Most companies are still working from home but stores, parks, and high school sports are back to normal. Add in soccer leagues starting back up and my day to day life is pretty much back to normal.

It seems strange because then I turn on the news and most of the rest of the country is still in lockdown or dealing with violence/protests. A whole different world.

Now that my routines are back, I'm thinking of starting a new CM just to carry me over until 2021. La Liga is a league I am interested in lately so maybe a team from there for a change?
  • Virtual_K
    1858 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited June 14
    Everything is open 100% where I live. Most companies are still working from home but stores, parks, and high school sports are back to normal. Add in soccer leagues starting back up and my day to day life is pretty much back to normal.

It seems strange because then I turn on the news and most of the rest of the country is still in lockdown or dealing with violence/protests. A whole different world.

Now that my routines are back, I'm thinking of starting a new CM just to carry me over until 2021. La Liga is a league I am interested in lately so maybe a team from there for a change?

Unfortunately, I live in a crackpot state run by crackpots which is bordering on bankruptcy that they expect the nearly bankrupt federal government to bail out. I'm afraid the United States best days are behind us. Welcome to the new order. :'(

p.s. Think I'll move to CHAZ. :o
  • Stlducks
    1956 posts Play-Off Hero

Unfortunately, I live in a crackpot state run by crackpots which is bordering on bankruptcy that they expect the nearly bankrupt federal government to bail out. I'm afraid the United States best days are behind us. Welcome to the new order. :'(

p.s. Think I'll move to CHAZ. :o

Move to La Motte, Iowa! We had a black bear walk around a few fields in the area this week. The most exciting thing to happen around here in 30 years.