Do you see more of certain formations now vs previously?

FC Intl
4394 posts National Call-Up
For example, I rarely face 4231(2) or False 9 now when previously I saw them all the time. Now it seems like most people I face use 4312 or 4321. What do you think causes this? Do people see some youtuber recommend a formation and all the drones follow?

Comments

• Reece Tha BEAST
    17022 posts World Class
    FC Intl wrote: »
    For example, I rarely face 4231(2) or False 9 now when previously I saw them all the time. Now it seems like most people I face use 4312 or 4321. What do you think causes this? Do people see some youtuber recommend a formation and all the drones follow?

The majority of highly competitive players in Gfinity use 4312
  • FC Intl

Interesting. But that doesn't really explain why (I at least) see formations in waves.
  • Ykr
    3041 posts National Call-Up
    You can never really know unless you face the same person twice.
    But your point could be valid to an extent, I am not sure my views on it are correct though
  • Masakari
    876 posts Semi-Pro
    Dunno, Im not exagerating when I say 75% of my opponents use 433-4, and its been like that for months now.
  • Libguy
    5377 posts Big Money Move

That's sort of surprising since you aren't utilizing the fast, outside players. Is the midfield usually three guys with decent pace and a lot of physical presence (Yaya, Vieira, Pogba)?
  • FC Intl
    Masakari wrote: »
    Dunno, Im not exagerating when I say 75% of my opponents use 433-4, and its been like that for months now.

Yeah I do see a decent amount of 433-4, but not like I used to
  • Reece Tha BEAST
    17022 posts World Class
    Libguy wrote: »

That's sort of surprising since you aren't utilizing the fast, outside players. Is the midfield usually three guys with decent pace and a lot of physical presence (Yaya, Vieira, Pogba)?

Almost always Yaya, Ramires, and Viera.
  • Fumbler
    2509 posts Fans' Favourite
    I see 433 (4) more than anything else. And that's followed by 41212 probably.
  • COACH
    20499 posts Club Captain
    100%. I did my formation poll 3 months apart and 2 of the top 3 changed.
  • Wooly1203
    3153 posts National Call-Up
    All I see now is 433(4). Literally 75% of the games I play
  • Dtgodmage222
    427 posts Sunday League Hero
    when i use 433(4) i run into alot of 4222 and 442 aka the formatioins that kill 433(4)

if i use 4312 i run into alot of 41212 and 4312 mirror matches

just strange if i use 352 all i find is 433s

• FC Intl
    COACH wrote: »

@COACH

What is/was the top 3?

What do you think the reasons are for the change?
  • WaCoug615
    9651 posts League Winner
    Definitely see 4312/41212-2 the most, followed by 433-4 nad 433-3. After that it's prolly False 9, but that's a distant, distant fifth ...
  • NejvetsiBorec
    1198 posts Professional
    Libguy wrote: »

Its more about having 8 players defending and exploiting the run through players back to get the ball.

And yes youre right, its these players and Matthaus, Gullit etc
  • jenksiee123
    24351 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2015
    I've played a load of 5212's lately when I'd rarely played against it all year. So frustrating to play against too.
  • Godfarmer
    345 posts Sunday League Hero
    Faced 3 out of 4 games with 5 atb the other day
  • Onelovechris
    389 posts Sunday League Hero

I use now recently the 4231 formation after using a long time 433 (2) or 442 (2) but on a certain moment (since division 6) it became difficult to win.. Now with the new system played 40 matches and lost just 2 with just 1 goal difference..
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero
    The other day I faced 5 teams out of 6 playing 4222 when previously it was fairly rare. It's likely the youtubers or big name streamers are behind these trends.
  • FC Intl
    ASH32 wrote: »
    The other day I faced 5 teams out of 6 playing 4222 when previously it was fairly rare. It's likely the youtubers or big name streamers are behind these trends.

Yeah thats my suspicion
  • killaree
    975 posts Semi-Pro
    I find it the same as you, come up against 4312 and 4321 most times. And they are tough to play against when you use False 9 without width. Ultra defensive - counter attack and it becomes a game of trying not to mess your passing up otherwise one through ball and their attacker is in on goal.
  • Craggus
    465 posts Sunday League Hero
    Meh, everyone just uses wingers out of position which frustrates me. Why is that winger such a good holding CM in game with his 39 strength and 50 stand tackle?

Formations are probably picked off of youtube. Really wouldn't surprise me
  • FC Intl
    killaree wrote: »
    it becomes a game of trying not to mess your passing up otherwise one through ball and their attacker is in on goal.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. I have had some success with false 9, but sometimes the width is too high up, when I could use the passing outlet more central. Thinking of going to 4231(2)
  • killaree
    975 posts Semi-Pro
    it becomes a game of trying not to mess your passing up otherwise one through ball and their attacker is in on goal.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. I have had some success with false 9, but sometimes the width is too high up, when I could use the passing outlet more central. Thinking of going to 4231(2)

I tried playing 4312 in last week tourneys and tbh it infected me with sweat. Its a formation that you almost cant help being sweaty with, but in the end it didnt work for me as I like to keep the ball and control the game. Went back to false 9 and the sweat stayed with me for a good few days, but now Im recovered and back to playing my normal game.

Not sure how to counter those formations cos when you keep the ball, your full backs push upfield whether you have them on stay back or not. I like to play a high line too so its really risky. In theory I could go ultra D myself and play a low back line but I think it would bore me to death. Might try it to see but generally I try to beat it using my usual style.

• FC Intl

I tried playing 4312 in last week tourneys and tbh it infected me with sweat. Its a formation that you almost cant help being sweaty with, but in the end it didnt work for me as I like to keep the ball and control the game. Went back to false 9 and the sweat stayed with me for a good few days, but now Im recovered and back to playing my normal game.

Not sure how to counter those formations cos when you keep the ball, your full backs push upfield whether you have them on stay back or not. I like to play a high line too so its really risky. In theory I could go ultra D myself and play a low back line but I think it would bore me to death. Might try it to see but generally I try to beat it using my usual style.

Yeah I too am having a difficult time countering the narrow formations, especially because I like to play a short passing build up style and it just gets broken up and they counter with two passes and its a goal. Frustrating
  • killaree
    975 posts Semi-Pro
    Not sure how to counter that man. I think I will try Ultra D/D with a low back line and keep possession in my own half of the field next time somebody tries that against me. See how that would work, although I already know it would bore me senseless. I play the game to have fun and attack not sit back and counter.

Even with my usual style I have some success against it, esp if you score first but when you concede first its horrible trying to get back into that game. Would help a lot if EA toned down that pressing abuse.
  • o Shootz o
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    I started off playing 442 at the start of the game, probably due to my players at the time (pack only) but gradually moved into my favoured 433 variant. Always been a fan of playing wide attacking football and that helped me up through the divisions but once you start getting to the top of divisions you start seeing a lot more 433/4312/41212 variants. Just seems like the most favourable formations. I'm currently using 4312 and about to go back to division 1
  • criminal3655
    649 posts Sunday League Hero
    everybody that I play uses 433(4) with what seems like these instructions:

-stay back whilst attacking on the 2 cm's and fullbacks

-stay forward get in behind on the forwards

combine that with when they go attacking/ultra attacking in game the high pressure and opportunity for chipped through balls is so broken its unreal
  • Bob1432
    1313 posts Professional
    ASH32 wrote: »

4222 is Castros favourite formation.
  • RadioShaq
    16688 posts Moderator
    Could be players are more affordable.
  • COACH
    20499 posts Club Captain
    COACH wrote: »

@COACH

What is/was the top 3?

What do you think the reasons are for the change?

My guide is still on here. I'll post a link. Hang on.