UK government to vote on loot boxes

Comments

• TheMightyBee
    2072 posts Fans' Favourite
    madwullie wrote: »
    Gromit wrote: »
    It can only be a good thing. Gambling or not the one thing that is clear is the value for money is simply not there.

Some people clearly enjoy it and would disagree massively and have no qualms parting with £300 on the 1st day. Sadly I'd say we've almost been conditioned to accept this as normal.

But rest assured if you go outside the realms of Fifa and speak to the average person they would be amazed to hear anyone spends hundreds even thousands on a video game.

Some people on here rationalise it by comparing it to a night out etc. I think thats wide of the mark. In terms of the kind of service EA are offering its far more akin to a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify.

For EA to monetize FUT fairly it should like those above services have become
    subscription based. But like Spotify offer a free to play alternative.

Subscription has been floated on here many times and many are against it understandably, but going forward it seems a far healthier idea than people spending 3 or 4 figure sums on a video game.

With no constant hard sell required EA could even make packs are more generous too, in fact it would probably be advantageous to them as it would likely increse subscription rates.

Its not a politicians job to decide if something is value for money or not. If its not value, people won't buy it.

Do you think people with gambling addictions who waste all their spare money worry about value for money?

This is about an urge to spend money while chasing pack glory. EA splash adverts for special cards all over social media like there are easily available when in reality the odds are so low they only put less than 1%.

Not everyone thinks in common sense terms and you see people saying they will spend £400 on the first day, for me that is an issue unless you are very wealthy.

• Gromit
    3369 posts National Call-Up
    It can only be a good thing. Gambling or not the one thing that is clear is the value for money is simply not there.

Some people clearly enjoy it and would disagree massively and have no qualms parting with £300 on the 1st day. Sadly I'd say we've almost been conditioned to accept this as normal.

But rest assured if you go outside the realms of Fifa and speak to the average person they would be amazed to hear anyone spends hundreds even thousands on a video game.

Some people on here rationalise it by comparing it to a night out etc. I think thats wide of the mark. In terms of the kind of service EA are offering its far more akin to a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify.

Subscription has been floated on here many times and many are against it understandably, but going forward it seems a far healthier idea than people spending 3 or 4 figure sums on a video game.

With no constant hard sell required EA could even make packs are more generous too, in fact it would probably be advantageous to them as it would likely increse subscription rates.

Its not a politicians job to decide if something is value for money or not. If its not value, people won't buy it.

That's not entirely true, in 2017 the UK government acted on high stakes gambling machines in betting shops because of consumer safety, addiction issues and the amount of money people could spend in a short space of time.

If they feel that these loot boxes are as dangerous they have every right to impose sanctions or bans.
  • Jim
    1374 posts Professional
    If the UK bans loot boxes from being sold to children the US will follow suit. There's already been legislation introduced to regulate it, that precedent would give them the motivation to vote on it. It's an easy sell to politicians, "protect our children!" and doesn't cost them much.

If 2 of the top 4 markets regulate loot boxes like that, EA's going to have to completely restructure how FUT works. Just wouldn't make sense to have that many customers using totally different systems. Plus, it's risky to assume that there wouldn't be a domino effect with other countries. And you can't just stop selling the game to children-- that kills your potential customer base for the future.

It's not like they have to stop microtransactions, just have to stop selling packs. Shift from whales buying thousands to everyone buying small amounts.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2992 posts National Call-Up

Do you think people with gambling addictions who waste all their spare money worry about value for money?

This is about an urge to spend money while chasing pack glory. EA splash adverts for special cards all over social media like there are easily available when in reality the odds are so low they only put less than 1%.

Not everyone thinks in common sense terms and you see people saying they will spend £400 on the first day, for me that is an issue unless you are very wealthy.

This is the part of contemporary societal decline and degeneracy. Much to their own deeper contrite, addicts remain mired in their own self-indulgent, self-destructive deterioration as part of a hedonistic and nihilistic escapism to cope with the gloom reality incumbent before them. And the way they have to overcome that is to generate a philosophical vision that justifies their life in some meaningful way that they deeply believe it has to be that and it can't be trivial because otherwise the addiction is going to continue to rule them.

Suicide rates are at the highest they've ever been in the western society; much due to gambling, drugs and alcohol. Where is the reset button?
  • TheMightyBee

This is the part of contemporary societal decline and degeneracy. Much to their own deeper contrite, addicts remain mired in their own self-indulgent, self-destructive deterioration as part of a hedonistic and nihilistic escapism to cope with the gloom reality incumbent before them. And the way they have to overcome that is to generate a philosophical vision that justifies their life in some meaningful way that they deeply believe it has to be that and it can't be trivial because otherwise the addiction is going to continue to rule them.

Suicide rates are at the highest they've ever been in the western society; much due to gambling, drugs and alcohol. Where is the reset button?

The system is broken , it needs a big reset.
  • madwullie wrote: »

Have you ever been addicted to gambling?

I was and the thrill for me was the FOBT mentioned above. They have now been regulated in the U.K but I was bad for using them. I could go a month or 2 without going and then I'd be back at it on a daily basis.

I didn't do it because my life is empty and I'm miserable. I did it for the thrill. I felt like I could beat the game . Then one day i just decided i liked my money in my pocket more than I liked losing it.

No big awakening or divine moment change my life. I just got sick of losing money. Same thing when I bought packs on Fifa. The value for money was terrible.

To all the people saying it wont happen or it will be 18+, its already happened in other countries.

Why are we any different?

If they do get banned I dont think their will be an age restriction. The issue seems to be more around the morality of them.
  • AlbinoXI
    1752 posts Play-Off Hero

If you think it's coming to an end, you will be in for a massive shock. If you think that they haven't spent the past few years working on contingencies for their cash cow then I worry for you. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I'm saying this as a person that is against microtransactions too and exclusively trades in this game before you call me credit card fc.

Agree 100%
  • lIlIlIlIlIl

Have you ever been addicted to gambling?

I was and the thrill for me was the FOBT mentioned above. They have now been regulated in the U.K but I was bad for using them. I could go a month or 2 without going and then I'd be back at it on a daily basis.

I didn't do it because my life is empty and I'm miserable. I did it for the thrill. I felt like I could beat the game . Then one day i just decided i liked my money in my pocket more than I liked losing it.

No big awakening or divine moment change my life. I just got sick of losing money. Same thing when I bought packs on Fifa. The value for money was terrible.

To all the people saying it wont happen or it will be 18+, its already happened in other countries.

Why are we any different?

If they do get banned I dont think their will be an age restriction. The issue seems to be more around the morality of them.

I have not been addicted to gambling, however, I have been addicted to other means of instantenous gratification such as gaming, gourmét dinners and fine wine; I was accordingly out of shape and socially repugnant. I was alone but I was not lonely; accompanied by the great philosophical minds I found serenity in literature. Some time during this transient recluse phase, filled with hedonism and profane ideas of meaning, I came to terms that my life came down to existing-not living-and so the salvation was finding something that truly matters - to live.

Today I can leisurely take a drink and game a bit, as it no longer rules me. I'm back in shape and comfortable around fine women.
  • Orison
    47797 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Jim wrote: »
    If the UK bans loot boxes from being sold to children the US will follow suit. There's already been legislation introduced to regulate it, that precedent would give them the motivation to vote on it. It's an easy sell to politicians, "protect our children!" and doesn't cost them much.

If 2 of the top 4 markets regulate loot boxes like that, EA's going to have to completely restructure how FUT works. Just wouldn't make sense to have that many customers using totally different systems. Plus, it's risky to assume that there wouldn't be a domino effect with other countries. And you can't just stop selling the game to children-- that kills your potential customer base for the future.

It's not like they have to stop microtransactions, just have to stop selling packs. Shift from whales buying thousands to everyone buying small amounts.

In all those articles it says that everybody is fine with children playing for ingame currency and then spending it on lootboxes.

No need to make the game 18+ as long as fp are 18+. In theory you also have to be 13 years old to have an EA acc without age restrictions and yet the game itself still doesn't have an age restriction.

They will be fine.
  • Low Ki
    11746 posts Has That Special Something
    Here's the full thing:
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmcumeds/1846/184606.htm

It's pretty damning overall. Not just of the system, but the companies being willfully obtuse when clarification of mechanics, odds and overspending was being sought.
  • Springveldt
    4512 posts National Call-Up
    Orison wrote: »

In all those articles it says that everybody is fine with children playing for ingame currency and then spending it on lootboxes.

No need to make the game 18+ as long as fp are 18+. In theory you also have to be 13 years old to have an EA acc without age restrictions and yet the game itself still doesn't have an age restriction.

They will be fine.
    It's not as easy as just slapping an 18+ rating and everything will be good. If they are seen as gambling, it will change a lot of things. In the UK kids aren't even allowed to step inside a bookmakers shop or an amusements shop with 18+ fruit machines. The game itself will get an 18+ rating, not just fifa points.

Do you think FIFA will be happy to see that their name and licenced product is 18+ in the UK? You suddenly have all these team names and player names associated with gambling. Not a good look.
  • Heshyooo
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    And that's karma. If only I could get all my money back from the scam. Hopefully they reimburse the consumer
  • Alex_cr
    4864 posts Big Money Move
    Heshyooo wrote: »
    And that's karma. If only I could get all my money back from the scam. Hopefully they reimburse the consumer

You won’t get a penny back. The reason for this is that it’s clear from the document posted above that in order to classify loot boxes as gambling there will have to be a change in legislation. In other words, everything up until the moment legislation changes then EA will have acted within the rules.

• Azof
    16437 posts World Class
    I look forward to when the game is heavily regulated so they put zero effort into any content, people will be even more upset when there are zero promos throughout the year.
  • Loot is coming to an end in the UK - i have had an email from a very reliable source ..
  • I want regulation for under 18s but I don't want an outright end to MTX, I just want better value for money. The pack weights are terrible. Sell all player packs all year round, reduce the number of **** worthless players as rares. When you spend 12k fp, you should feel comfortable that you will pack something good.
  • CharlieC
    6226 posts Big Money Move
    Azof wrote: »
    I look forward to when the game is heavily regulated so they put zero effort into any content, people will be even more upset when there are zero promos throughout the year.

I completely agree with what you're saying but my main issue is that even with all of the revenue they make, they still can't produce a consistent game. There's no doubt it looks great and the content this year has been excellent (apart from the bloke in charge of sbc's being useless) but they need to do better and it doesn't seem that money makes any difference in that sense.
  • Orison
    47797 posts FIFA Cover Star

You know that the regulation is supposed to protect children and not morons who just spent way too much?

You have nobody to blame apart from yourself pal. Unless ofc you are a little child and your parents bought you fp then you can shift some blame onto them too.
  • Rich2015
    135 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited September 13
    Its coming,this will be the last Fifa with Fifa points,next year will be season pass like they are trialling this year with the seasons thing
  • Azof
    16437 posts World Class

You know that the regulation is supposed to protect children and not morons who just spent way too much?

You have nobody to blame apart from yourself pal. Unless ofc you are a little child and your parents bought you fp then you can shift some blame onto them too.

Its amazing how adults need regulations to stop themselves spending a fortune on fifa points
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    Azof wrote: »

Its amazing how adults need regulations to stop themselves spending a fortune on fifa points

No different to a drug-addled junkie who needs outside help to lay off ketamine.
  • TheMightyBee
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Here's the full thing:
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmcumeds/1846/184606.htm

It's pretty damning overall. Not just of the system, but the companies being willfully obtuse when clarification of mechanics, odds and overspending was being sought.

It seems like it will pass but who knows with politics right now!
  • Anarki301
    294 posts Sunday League Hero
    Didn't really read all this new news, but if I remember clearly, they don't want to ban loot boxes, they want them regulated under the current gambling laws or through new ones. So, they want a cut from all the money pouring into this companies from this mechanics, so, it's not about banning loot boxes, it's about regulating them, look, we have a fresh example from Belgium, it wasn't their government decision to not offer fifa points for sale in Belgium, it was EA decision after their government classified fifa loot boxes as gambling.

What I'm trying to say is even after all this they could still offer the same model, it would be just restricted in some ways, like all the gambling businesses are.
  • Rich2015
    135 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited September 13
    Anarki301 wrote: »
    Didn't really read all this new news, but if I remember clearly, they don't want to ban loot boxes, they want them regulated under the current gambling laws or through new ones. So, they want a cut from all the money pouring into this companies from this mechanics, so, it's not about banning loot boxes, it's about regulating them, look, we have a fresh example from Belgium, it wasn't their government decision to not offer fifa points for sale in Belgium, it was EA decision after their government classified fifa loot boxes as gambling.

What I'm trying to say is even after all this they could still offer the same model, it would be just restricted in some ways, like all the gambling businesses are.

Fifa wont have their license in an 18 plus game

EA can't have it all

• Knowlesdinho
    10202 posts Has That Special Something

They will be fine.
    It's not as easy as just slapping an 18+ rating and everything will be good. If they are seen as gambling, it will change a lot of things. In the UK kids aren't even allowed to step inside a bookmakers shop or an amusements shop with 18+ fruit machines. The game itself will get an 18+ rating, not just fifa points.

Do you think FIFA will be happy to see that their name and licenced product is 18+ in the UK? You suddenly have all these team names and player names associated with gambling. Not a good look.

Since when has an 18 rating on a game stopped kids playing it?
  • TheMightyBee

They will be fine.

It might make parents think twice if it's a 18+ game and has a gambling warning on it, the impact of that and the the fact EA would hate to have a 18+ rated gambling game in the shops is the bigger problem.

Gambling is a whole different issues to violence and gun games, it's much more serious.
  • bobigol
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Can't stand FUT everybody uses the same damn players over & over.
  • Alex_cr
    4864 posts Big Money Move
    Rich2015 wrote: »
    Anarki301 wrote: »

Fifa wont have their license in an 18 plus game

EA can't have it all

You are absolutely correct on this. That’s why they decided to just remove it FP from Belgium.

I’m sure there’d be a way round this
  • I SiR MartY I
    5456 posts Big Money Move
    You know EA won't let something this profitable go right?

They'll just start selling coins instead or allow direct player purchases.

You are all absolutely crazy if you think a multi-billion dollar company won't already have workarounds in place for if/when laws start banning loot boxes especially on something that brings in as much money as UT.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10202 posts Has That Special Something
    I

They will be fine.

It might make parents think twice if it's a 18+ game and has a gambling warning on it, the impact of that and the the fact EA would hate to have a 18+ rated gambling game in the shops is the bigger problem.

Gambling is a whole different issues to violence and gun games, it's much more serious.

Yeah making people desensitised to violence and killing isn’t as bad, I agree.