UK government to vote on loot boxes

Gainzy
1002 posts Professional
This will spell the end of FUT as we know it. The UK is the largest single market for Fifa and FUT.
Fair play to the committee, they've stood their ground and reference EA lying to them with their "surprise mechanics" statement likening packs to kinder eggs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49661870

Comments

• Knowlesdinho
    10204 posts Has That Special Something

If you think it's coming to an end, you will be in for a massive shock. If you think that they haven't spent the past few years working on contingencies for their cash cow then I worry for you. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I'm saying this as a person that is against microtransactions too and exclusively trades in this game before you call me credit card fc.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2993 posts National Call-Up
    Lootboxes will be regulated sooner or later. Which means more transparency and less profit for EA; that said loot boxes are not coming to an end. You'll probably have to verify that you're not a minor before proceeding with your in-game purchase.
  • Azof
    16445 posts World Class
    No mention of a vote in the article....
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1708 posts Play-Off Hero
    I’d love to see them banned. Better yet I’d love to see their greedy faces when it all gets taken away from them 😅. Can’t see it being taken as seriously as it should though with the brexit mess still going on
  • Diggy
    13619 posts Has That Special Something
    Azof wrote: »

• Jimmy89
    112 posts Has Potential To Be Special

• Smudge
    4538 posts National Call-Up

• TheMightyBee
    2072 posts Fans' Favourite

If you think it's coming to an end, you will be in for a massive shock. If you think that they haven't spent the past few years working on contingencies for their cash cow then I worry for you. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I'm saying this as a person that is against microtransactions too and exclusively trades in this game before you call me credit card fc.

If it's in the commons it will happen, they will be regulated and games that insist on using them will have a 18+ rating and a gambling warning on.
  • Gainzy
    1002 posts Professional

The way UK politics work -
    1) an issue is raised for debate in the house of commons
    2) if its seen as something worth debating, a committee is set up to gather further information
    3) the committee present their findings to the house of commons.
    4) the house of commons debate the issue
    5) a law is either passed or not via MP'S voting "aye" or "no".

We have just had step 3, with step 4 just around the corner.
  • Kiido
    464 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am sure EA will come up with a loophole one way or another.
  • Azof
    16445 posts World Class
    Gainzy wrote: »

2) if its seen as something worth debating, a committee is set up to gather further information

I'm well aware on how the system works it doesnt change the fact the title is misleading.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1708 posts Play-Off Hero

I'm well aware on how the system works it doesnt change the fact the title is misleading.

It’s implied. They’ not going to go through all of this for nothing. Serious allegations of dishonesty are being thrown around.
  • Azof
    16445 posts World Class

It’s implied. They’ not going to go through all of this for nothing. Serious allegations of dishonesty are being thrown around.

I'm sure Boris will commend them on being dishonest, it is his favourite pastime.
  • TheMightyBee

EA will be very worried it's reached this stage in the commons, this could be a huge blow for them.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10204 posts Has That Special Something

If it's in the commons it will happen, they will be regulated and games that insist on using them will have a 18+ rating and a gambling warning on.

It may well happen...but don’t think for a moment that this means we are entering a glorious moment in gaming. They will look for other ways to monetise...and then it will truly be p2w.
  • Hibee
    11863 posts Has That Special Something
    It was always on the cards. Its why EA upped the ante this year in my opinion. Maximized as much FP from this game as they could before they need to re-design. The sudden introduction of PIM's an example.

• If you think it's coming to an end, you will be in for a massive shock. If you think that they haven't spent the past few years working on contingencies for their cash cow then I worry for you. Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

It may well happen...but don’t think for a moment that this means we are entering a glorious moment in gaming. They will look for other ways to monetise...and then it will truly be p2w.

At the very least you’ll know what your money is going to get you. It’ll be a goodbye to surprise mechanics which can only be a positive
  • lIlIlIlIlIl

EA will be very worried it's reached this stage in the commons, this could be a huge blow for them.

Perhaps EA forgot to handout the kickback last month to a certain group of people.
  • TheMightyBee

I’m not sure how that’s possible, if they make elite players only available for purchase it will isolate the fan base hugely.

The chasing glory in packs otherwise called gambling is what milks the money. You pay a lot of money for worthless 84 rated cards.
  • CharlieC
    6239 posts Big Money Move
    I don’t know the numbers but my guess is that the majority of purchases are made by those over 18 and therefore not the subject of the perceived issue.

I personally don’t like the model but I’m an adult and can choose to buy them if I like, just like I can choose to back Blackburn to beat Millwall on Saturday. I may be mad but nobody is holding a gun to my head.
  • Here is another article. This one goes in to a little more depth

https://www.igamingbusiness.com/news/dcms-committee-urges-uk-government-regulate-loot-boxes
  • NornIron
    11145 posts Has That Special Something
    But but you pay for packs of star players apparently.
  • Alex_cr
    4866 posts Big Money Move

While I’m sure at some point this will be dealt with, if you think the fact it’s in the commons it will happen you have literally no idea how our political system works.
  • Orison
    47809 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Fp locked behind an age restriction in the uk.

Still unregulated in all other markets. Probably easy to get around in the uk too (or ofc some parents enter their details and then cry about their children spending the money).

You are drunk if you think that's the end. Germany, France and the US will remain unregulated for now and ea will have plans to either get around the regulation or do as little as possible. Fut is a massive cashcow and the few uk children who can't get their parents to buy fp for them won't matter too much.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    edited September 12
    Gromit wrote: »
    It can only be a good thing. Gambling or not the one thing that is clear is the value for money is simply not there.

Some people clearly enjoy it and would disagree massively and have no qualms parting with £300 on the 1st day. Sadly I'd say we've almost been conditioned to accept this as normal.

But rest assured if you go outside the realms of Fifa and speak to the average person they would be amazed to hear anyone spends hundreds even thousands on a video game.

Some people on here rationalise it by comparing it to a night out etc. I think thats wide of the mark. In terms of the kind of service EA are offering its far more akin to a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify.

For EA to monetize FUT fairly it should like those above services have become
    subscription based. But like Spotify offer a free to play alternative.

Subscription has been floated on here many times and many are against it understandably, but going forward it seems a far healthier idea than people spending 3 or 4 figure sums on a video game.

With no constant hard sell required EA could even make packs are more generous too, in fact it would probably be advantageous to them as it would likely increse subscription rates.

They'll have to fall back to subscriptions in the long run whenever lootboxes get deprecated for whatever reason. For the regular user, the sub model would be infinitely better. Why? Well because this would incentivize the devs into keeping the userbase happy by providing regular updates and keeping the game interesting throughout the year. This way we would likely see a shift from a menu-centric game to actually playing football, because EA wouldn't have this pressure of maximizing the sales of FIFA points and thus cease to revolve around menu content.
  • Orison
    47809 posts FIFA Cover Star
    edited September 12
    Ea must have thought about a sub based model and came to the conclusion that it's not worth it. The casual pays 60-70€ for the game, but would he stay subbed for 6-7 months? Probably not.

As long as the overall majority of the userbase is this casual it's probably not worth it.

Even if loot boxes get regulated in the uk that leaves ea with most core markets still being unregulated (Germany, France, US) and even in the uk they would only lose money from children who can't get their parents to buy them fp or store credit (in theory you need to be 18+ anyways to purchase PS store credit for example).

If (and that's a big if) the uk regulates loot boxes I guess ea will make them 18+, but just for uk accs/ip adresses, then let it run for a year and see how much money it costs them. It's probably not that much tbf so no reason to change the basic model of fifa.
  • madwullie
    4171 posts National Call-Up
    Gromit wrote: »
    It can only be a good thing. Gambling or not the one thing that is clear is the value for money is simply not there.

Some people clearly enjoy it and would disagree massively and have no qualms parting with £300 on the 1st day. Sadly I'd say we've almost been conditioned to accept this as normal.

But rest assured if you go outside the realms of Fifa and speak to the average person they would be amazed to hear anyone spends hundreds even thousands on a video game.

Some people on here rationalise it by comparing it to a night out etc. I think thats wide of the mark. In terms of the kind of service EA are offering its far more akin to a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify.

For EA to monetize FUT fairly it should like those above services have become
    subscription based. But like Spotify offer a free to play alternative.

Subscription has been floated on here many times and many are against it understandably, but going forward it seems a far healthier idea than people spending 3 or 4 figure sums on a video game.

With no constant hard sell required EA could even make packs are more generous too, in fact it would probably be advantageous to them as it would likely increse subscription rates.

Its not a politicians job to decide if something is value for money or not. If its not value, people won't buy it.