FIFA 20 Demo - Thoughts

Comments

• After playing 10 more games I simply LOVE how inertia/momentum of players are so much more authentic! The physics are much improved. Headers feels and looks much more realistic. The same with shooting.

Defending feels like it’s been balanced as it is now just as assisted as the attacking play. Even tho I hate assisted gameplay I see what EA did.

They finally made it balanced. Remember how FIFA 18 felt amazing at pre-patch, it’s the same feeling, but now defending is as assisted as attacking.

I love the gameplay speed - so much more authentic!

Remember it's just a demo. Wait for the final version!
  • Benja190782
    1318 posts Professional
    ^^
    I know and the gameplay is proberly ruined a few weeks after release anyway.

But that demo is the closest we have ever been to an actual football game. Period!
  • Daytona73
    65 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played one match. So probably not enough to judge by, but here goes anyways.

Boring... ended 0-0 with a total of 7 shots... I like the slower gameplay, but this might be too slow. Dribbling is just non existent now? I was never a skiller, but this just feels very clunky.

Hit three green timed shots and non of them were even on target... what's the point of timing a shot if it won't even force a save?

Ai defending still seems to be too good - I played against the computer though...

Crossing and heading is definitely nerfed. Probably better that way though.

I'm all for slower gameplay, but it's just a little too slow.

You played one match 😂
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Ive been playing on legendary and had one 0-0 out of about 6 or 7 games. 0-0 in fut 19 were virtually none existent.
  • joehuk
    3222 posts National Call-Up
    Just played another 2 games...

watching replays.

This build has so many missing animations, my players are 'gliding' accross the field none stop.
  • Benja190782
    1318 posts Professional
    I like how if you play drop back you can’t just attack as easy as before, because you have to build up play more and you won’t have as many players coming forward, as you sit back.

Way more realistic imho.
  • Pooter
    1290 posts Professional
    Same gameplay, I expect the same thing as of FIFA 19. Whether I will play it as much as 19, remains to be seen. I will give it a few more days to decide whether I will even get FIFA 20. I won't announce it like some have, you will notice a conspicuous silence from me if I don't,
  • Pooter
    1290 posts Professional
    Feels nicely paced, but the demo nearly always does, then 2 weeks into the main game, patch, back to sweat fest.

Another lesser note, but something that occurs on the demo each year. why do they insist on them "what's new" screens after each match and every load up, and how annoying is it having to change the camera with each boot up. Surely it can save the settings, always puts me off going back on it after a couple of goes.

That remains to be seen if that's part of the full monty of the game. Demos can be tricky, showing the nice things about the game, but when it comes to the nitty gritty, well, its the hard earned cash (or in some cases, more money than sense) that will be spent on the game
  • jiajia3
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    After playing 10 more games I simply LOVE how inertia/momentum of players are so much more authentic! The physics are much improved. Headers feels and looks much more realistic. The same with shooting.

Defending feels like it’s been balanced as it is now just as assisted as the attacking play. Even tho I hate assisted gameplay I see what EA did.

They finally made it balanced. Remember how FIFA 18 felt amazing at pre-patch, it’s the same feeling, but now defending is as assisted as attacking.

I love the gameplay speed - so much more authentic!

Unfortunately, some one told me that demo is a early one, and game will speed up after that ...
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Anybody else draw 0-0 six times in a row on legendary?
  • Am I going crazy or have EA reduced the size of the ball again? It was too small in FIFA 18 and fixed for FIFA 19 but seems small again.
  • Wyojasond
    11306 posts Has That Special Something

Yeah same here man. Had some great looks to score but not to bothered with the stops the keeper made. With only 4 minute halves though, it’s hard to say how much it will transfer over. I really am enjoying the challenge. I can go down to World Class and score fairly easy so hopefully legendary offers a bit more of a challenge this year.
  • torakun
    1591 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 12
    The Demo is so good that it made me buy PES 20 immediately after 3 games. I will get 1 random legend plus ronaldinho too by purchasing the game.. unlike FIFA where I need to grind all year for legends/icons.

Literally fifa 19.5 new skin and new flavor of the season (e.g 18 = pace, 19 =phsy)

Also, ball is still gliding on ice.. I don't know what kind of promo new ball mechanic BS they spew but the ball is still a magnet.

Feels good to be justified not pre ordering 20. I was afraid after trying out the demo it forces me to admit FIFA 20 is a brand new FIFA and is good, then I have to pre order.
    Post edited by torakun on
  • AlexFin
    137 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Did someone tried to make a bicycle kick on PC version?
    How you do that?
  • ale1985bg
    393 posts Sunday League Hero
    treddy wrote: »
    453a2d6df5eb231cd6d2bae6556b9d2e.gif
    Welcome back, FIFA 12. <3
    Upon seeing this I think I'm going to pre-order FIFA 20: a game that reminds me about FIFA 12 this much MUST be in my collection as soon as it's released.
  • Revolve2099
    70 posts Park Captain
    I really enjoy the demo. Its fun, and especially with the new CDM and Keeper tactics its opens up more tactical awareness and adjustments. The demo pisses all over fifa 19. How could you even call fifa 19 a football game, its a disgrace to this beautiful game.

Defending is more rewarding, your choice of pass, player switching is more rewarding. The only issue I have is jockeying being assisted. I've switched it to manual, as well as through balls. I don't want the **** AI dictating my defenders and through balls.

I'm really enjoying, I can apply Cruff's tactics on a 343, Pep's tactics for 343, 433, 433(5) and even the 4141.

It completely allows me to attack with my LB/RB with CDM dropping in between the CB's. I play Liverpool in the Demo, with Wijnaldum as playmaker and Henderson as deep lying playmaker. It just opens up football like as it should be. I hope EA don't screw it up with their **** patches to compensate for noobs.

Its great and fun. I'd advise you to learn how to play football and not just spam passes.

Played my mates who just spam passes and hope for the best. Just crushing them.
  • FijiBoy
    262 posts Sunday League Hero
    Tried it and looks good for now. No pace abuse or silly player movement. Hopefully stays like this and no patch fixes pace
  • Mmandras
    1828 posts Play-Off Hero
    AI is not that much threatening on World Class, comparing to Semi Pro. It's easy to win games and it is almost harmless in front of the goal. Didn't try Legendary.

As I play demo more I "feel" the pace of it more. Ultimately, it doesn't matter because players will find exploits just as every year, and little bjt of lag will completely ruin everything. Daily content updates is going to save it from everything.
  • Kenpachi_FIFA
    477 posts Sunday League Hero
    Goalkeeping seems off. The keeper is punching everything away. Otherwise the game has some improvements to 19. The new dribbling technique doesn't bother me that much. Just encourages build up play rather than being off to the races.
  • Luchtaine
    34 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Am I going crazy or have EA reduced the size of the ball again? It was too small in FIFA 18 and fixed for FIFA 19 but seems small again.

I thought the same! It looked smaller in both the Beta and demo. Not sure if it’s just the new ball physics or the players now have clown feet giving the impression the ball is smaller.
  • flcinusa
    485 posts Sunday League Hero

Most of my games are 0-0 or 1-0, though Spurs rekt my Dortmund side 3-1 once
  • MartinKusev
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I did a test. I played 10 games with Dortmund vs Real on legendary with 4231 wide, everything on balanced and 5 bars. I had 4 wins 4 losses and 2 draws. I noticed that your players stats are changed dynamically during the game like in fifa 19. Sometimes they are less responsive and not so accurate with passes (mostly when im leading) in exact same situations and player positions, but if you change something in tactics, they MAY be responsive again :smiley: I talk about Neymar and Mbappe ffs... When the game play is bad in the demo, they need 2 secs to turn around. This was the worst problem in fifa 19 and this is the only thing that they can be compared. If this **** is still in the game and something that you cant control decides your game result, EA should increase dribbling speed with and without the ball to keep some skill gap in the game.
  • Is it just me or is the AI very hard to play against, I play on legendary and I find myself having to try extremely hard just to maybe draw or win by one goal. The AI doesn't fall for any skill moves really and they are very good at defending and make 60 yard passes across the field and the player scores. The finishing and improved this year but I do find it inconsistent still as well as passing feels better however it is also inconsistent. Just wanted to hear your guys opinions.
  • Safehands84
    3382 posts National Call-Up
    Wasnt going to bother but played 2 games and like the off the ball movement, passing takes skill which I like a lot. I played a game before was running full speed with son tried a simple pass inside and it was off target as it should be with my sprinting full speed.

Obviously demo and will be nothing like finished product but if similar I'll be happy.
  • It's better than FIFA 19 of course but I'd like to point out some negatives for EA developers to review.
    - Passing: It feels too assisted and ping pongish
    - Game speed: It feels faster than the beta and feels like ice hockey. It's smooth but making it slower would make it more realistic.
    - GK: Saves almost everything, 1on1 should go in more than outside of d box shots.
    - Backward Strafe dribbling: It's fugly and unrealistic and overpowered mechanism to waste time.
    - Shooting: Sometimes players shoot way wide even the cursor shows the direction is accurate.
  • Finesse_4days
    6912 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 12
    I have been playing on Professional so it is easy to score and I can practice finishing and Pens, any higher and the Ai keep the ball too much and don't allow space in behind so I would gain nothing in terms of improvement playing them as I will mostly be playing online . I played last year mostly on legendary vs the AI on career mode and could win games on Ultimate if I sweated very hard, but professional on the demo seems the only fun difficulty for me and the only one I will be able to leave the defence for dead quite often.

I played a game full manual on Semi pro, and I rage quit at 0-0 half an hour in becuase every A pass was hit at snails speed and barely reached my player, and I couldn't even create a chance. Defending was fine (Obviously it was **** easy becuase the difficulty though) but passing seemed impossible. I can't understand how people could play full manual. Yes it takes more skill, but it would also take a **** age to line up passes properly and games would be extremely low scoring and for competitive Fifa ,10 times worse to watch than it already is. People will probably call me a noob, but no matter what I did passing was horrendous and full manual online would be an absolute mess especially with delay and lag.
  • Benja190782
    1318 posts Professional
    edited September 12
    @Finesse_4days I believe it’s because you are used to just tap tap tap the pass button and the power would automaticly be assisted to reach your teammate. Now it takes a tiny bit more skill as you need to actually power up your passes more than before, and it leads to “slower gameplay” when the pass button are only spammed like that.

I see why people get frustrated by it, but it actually did increase the skill-gap at passing just a tiny bit. It’s a learning curve. And to me it feels a ton better, but could take even more manual feel to be honest.
  • Finesse_4days
    6912 posts Big Money Move
    @Finesse_4days I believe it’s because you are used to just tap tap tap the pass button and the power would automaticly be assisted to reach your teammate. Now it takes a tiny bit more skill as you need to actually power up your passes more than before, and it leads to “slower gameplay” when the pass button are only spammed like that.

I see why people get frustrated by it, but it actually did increase the skill-gap at passing just a tiny bit. It’s a learning curve. And to me it feels a ton better, but could take even more manual feel to be honest.

I see what you mean, A passing is so assisted I almost forgot that the power you put on it is even that relevant so I was probably just tapping it. I might try some more manual settings on the defensive side of things, but in attack I think it is putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage.
  • AliasMaurice
    1933 posts Fans' Favourite
    Sold fifa 19 and 18 around Xmas as not really happy with the game. Played 16 and 17 mainly due to pro clubs and the novelty of FUT 1st season.

I'm quite critical of EA as alot of us are but this is easily the best fifa I've played since I rebought a console in 2014.

It's very different from the previous years, the AI while making the odd stupid run is really good. Its going to take me an age to adjust to the defending if I ever do but I'm happy to relearn aspects of the game if the game has improved.

The pitch seems bigger so there's more space but the AI is smarter so the games are still tight.

Goalkeepers seem excellent. Passing, shooting and crossing need more power than previous years but that just means on the passing side of the game people will have to do more and not rely on tapping X.

Can't fully judge the game until in fut mode with chem styles and the rest.

Actually looking forward to playing the game. See how long that lasts.