FIFA 20 Demo - Thoughts

Comments

• d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain

I see the majority here claim that the game plays like FIFA19. This leaves me flummoxed as it has very little resemblence of 19. The game speed is adequate (knowing it will be faster in FUT); manual jockeying feels incredibly responsive and satisfying capturing the ball. The revamped crab walking is enjoyable as well-- albeit I can see it being OP in certain situations.

No more mindless skill moves spam is GOOD. Take it from someone who loves chaining/comboing different skills; the skill->dribble->skill meta now requires some strategic planning, good timing and actual thought rather than mechanically spamming skill moves in favourable positions.

Shooting inside the box no longer is impelled by the silly timed mechanic and the frequency of goals has increased dramatically.

So no, to me it plays nothing like FIFA19.

Same here! It's nuts how people saying it's like FIFA 19. It's the 'touches' that you can tell the difference from.

Agree about mindlessness, it seems to have consequences for bad moves now. Which is a HUGE HUGE thing, that was almost non-existent in 19

As long as it doesn't become faster and RNG in UT, i think we have an improvement here, still long way to go though (;
  • Aqeel87
    2422 posts Fans' Favourite
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    remember 19 Demo ? it was way better than the final product. and after 2 patches they broke the game and all the exploits appeared.
    best way to judge the game is after the first patch

Exactly this
  • Nervous_Nick
    5099 posts Big Money Move
    I played one game...my players were making runs all the time and through pass was really effective.
    It’s much easier to score compared to fifa19 demo.
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    I played one game...my players were making runs all the time and through pass was really effective.
    It’s much easier to score compared to fifa19 demo.

True that. Players seem to utilise it when you dribble to create space. Passing is top notch, especially through passes, good passers with vision, like Eriksen seem to be on point. Breakaway with a lovely through-ball is a thing now, which is good to see. Opponent is not able to catch up like they used to if they're pressing high up the pitch or over-committing.
  • Can someone summarize the controls that have been changed from Fifa 19 to 20.

Heads up dribbling has been changed to L1, but are there others as well? Any new control-functions?
  • xGrumpyWolfx
    2716 posts Fans' Favourite
    Everytime a new FIFA Demo comes out it’s like I forget how to play the damn game, I wanna try out the new features/touches/skills but I just end up playing the most slow, boring football ever instead because I have no idea what the buttons are for the new stuff xD
  • Mantic
    62 posts Park Captain
    Did you forget last year this time? Same story diffrent year.
  • FCBlunt
    1971 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mantic wrote: »
    Did you forget last year this time? Same story diffrent year.

No, and as I said, I wont be buying it. I’ll keep an eye on the first patch.

Also, my final verdict praises it for being a great singleplsyer experience, but questionable online experience.

So no, I didn’t forget. I just found positives in the demo which is all we got for now. :smiley:
  • Mantic
    62 posts Park Captain
    Be sure they go up the gamespeed cause i heard some crying allready 😬
  • Aqeel87
    2422 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good review, Thanks
  • FCBlunt
    1971 posts Fans' Favourite
    Mantic wrote: »
    Be sure they go up the gamespeed cause i heard some crying allready 😬

That would be a huge mistake, players actually feel fast in this game.

The speed is perfect, hopefully it stays the same.
  • Fadazzo
    204 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Don't know for sure if it works, but selecting Real Madrid and choosing Spurs as your opponent gives you the free kick skill game.

Been practicing for over a hour, everything you need to do (type of shot, power, timing) has to be absolutely perfect and even then a goalkeeper can still save it. But when the ball actually goes in? Magnificent.
  • Demo.summed up

1 looks same
    2 plays same
    3 street football just the fifa 20 controls and not fifa street controls.

• I normally play on world class, but i have been testing out the shooting mechanics. And my mam has MS and took her own life, think before you speak.

Not sure why he even started with it. Nothing to do with fifa. Hope he gets a permanent ban.
  • I’ve not downloaded it. Absolutely pointless. Historically the demo is totally different to the game on release. Even more different after patch one. If you’re basing your judgment on the demo you are wasting your time
  • BGAlum
    979 posts Professional
    Same game, new wrapping and window dressing.

There should be copies in the used games stores within a week of release for those that want to save their money.
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Fadazzo wrote: »
    Don't know for sure if it works, but selecting Real Madrid and choosing Spurs as your opponent gives you the free kick skill game.

Been practicing for over a hour, everything you need to do (type of shot, power, timing) has to be absolutely perfect and even then a goalkeeper can still save it. But when the ball actually goes in? Magnificent.

Yes i tried for about 10 mins and couldnt score one, pens seemed a little easy also i dont think i missed one in about 20 pens.
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    FCBlunt wrote: »

I’m afriad this game will be super suspectible to High Pressure, not that it’s a problem for me, but it could mean all the tryhard sweat stars play 1 depth high pressure.

Wouldnt that be asking your team to do two completely different things and result in conceding? Ive not tried it. I seem to win more and score more when i play on 10 pressure press after possesion loss or press after heavy touch. Does constant pressure still drain the fitness?
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    Scutch wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed it.

Played 3 games, all with Spurs. Drew 2-2 with Dortmund. Beat Liverpool 6-1 and beat Real 2-0. Thought it was decent, seems much better paced than 19. For now.

Yes strangely i found Dortmund and Chelsea to be the hardest teams to score against 😂
  • Is it normal, that I wasnt able to shoot a free kick on target, when the free kick was two meters away from the left side of the box?
  • MartinKusev
    38 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I see the majority here claim that the game plays like FIFA19. This leaves me flummoxed as it has very little resemblence of 19. The game speed is adequate (knowing it will be faster in FUT); manual jockeying feels incredibly responsive and satisfying capturing the ball. The revamped crab walking is enjoyable as well-- albeit I can see it being OP in certain situations.

No more mindless skill moves spam is GOOD. Take it from someone who loves chaining/comboing different skills; the skill->dribble->skill meta now requires some strategic planning, good timing and actual thought rather than mechanically spamming skill moves in favourable positions.

Shooting inside the box no longer is impelled by the silly timed mechanic and the frequency of goals has increased dramatically.

Finally someone to say it. Casuals don't know what is balanced football video game and there always will complain! EA please listen people like this guy, Inception, Kurt, ItalianStalion and Gorilla!
  • Pwalie86
    1250 posts Professional
    Animations feel a bit more fluid..but it's nothing dramatic. Visually it's the same, and wouldn't expect any changes anyway with new consoles next year.

Volta looks like I may have to start playing online. To me it'll be fun and wacky like Rocket League.
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    Long shots seem to be very rare. I know 19 maybe had too much of it. They don’t have to be first time/overpowered/mindless but I’d like to be able to hit those Eriksen/Sigurdsson style shots, if created space and positioned well. I think with the new shooting animations, they could look really great, not to mention very satisfying to pull off. I’m a big sucker for that.
  • xSILENTxSNIPERx
    Probito wrote: »
    Is it normal, that I wasnt able to shoot a free kick on target, when the free kick was two meters away from the left side of the box?

Got to hold the stick still to increase accuracy. I havnt got one in yet though. They seem just as hard as last year. Think i scored 2 direct free kicks in 4000 matches.

• Vaporduff777
    513 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’m absolutely loving this demo but I know it could be dramatically different on release day. Dribbling and passing is so important.
  • BGAlum
    979 posts Professional

Finally someone to say it. Casuals don't know what is balanced football video game and there always will complain! EA please listen people like this guy, Inception, Kurt, ItalianStalion and Gorilla!

The problem is that it will end up being the same old stuff as always in FUT. Guarantee it.

Saying someone is a casual player in an attempt to belittle their input is just silly. Their input is just as valid and EA listens to $$$ only. Not input or feedback.

Timed shooting is still horrible, but essentially it is going to be the same old same old with this Franchise and EA... now with Volta.

Hardly worth the price of admission...

• deang07
    8092 posts League Winner
    its a million miles from 19 anyone who says its the same is crazy must be watching not playing.
    it has flaws yes but a massive step fw after playing beta and demo
  • BGAlum
    979 posts Professional
    I’ve not downloaded it. Absolutely pointless. Historically the demo is totally different to the game on release. Even more different after patch one. If you’re basing your judgment on the demo you are wasting your time

That is fair, having went through the Beta, then demo last year. It won’t be stabilized until after Christmas, if then.
  • Benja190782
    1318 posts Professional
    After playing 10 more games I simply LOVE how inertia/momentum of players are so much more authentic! The physics are much improved. Headers feels and looks much more realistic. The same with shooting.

Defending feels like it’s been balanced as it is now just as assisted as the attacking play. Even tho I hate assisted gameplay I see what EA did.

They finally made it balanced. Remember how FIFA 18 felt amazing at pre-patch, it’s the same feeling, but now defending is as assisted as attacking.

I love the gameplay speed - so much more authentic!