FIFA 20 Demo - Thoughts

d3b4s1s
77 posts Park Captain
edited September 10
Just downloaded and played a couple of kick-offs

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but definitely seems like a good step forward. It's slower sure, but something about the tempo 'feels right'. The animations seem to register well, good balance between pace and dribbling, shooting needs the preparation and build up, not mindless, as it should be.

Most importantly, feels like there's a little thinking and decision making involved, that little crucial millisecond of it, in a good way, both for defence and offence. Hope the final build is as good, if not better(hopeful though). And then of course, there's Ultimate Team. Lot to be seen.

Damn! something good to say about FIFA, been a while. Haha

Comments

• xSILENTxSNIPERx
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Glad you like it. Im still waiting for mine to download...
  • MOES98
    134 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Sounds good. But remember we also had this feeling in the Fifa 18 and 19 demo, but after the first patch it was ruined.
  • Rolandinho
    59 posts Park Captain
    Decent, but will be probably totally different when playing Weekend League.
  • PegLeg
    233 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Agree about the tempo of games, much better although I imagine it'll be a bit divisive. Some elements of the off-the-ball AI seem to have improved and it's refreshing to get the ball back after a tackle for a change.

Still quite a few bugs (random animations and collisions, ball ghosting through limbs etc). I'd hope they're ironed out for the full release but realistically those same issues have been present for years so probably unlikely.

One thing that definitely hasn't changed, I still suck at defending! The new free kick system is going to take some getting used to as well.

Will give the demo a bit more time before I decide whether or not to buy this one.
  • Boommaametw3
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero
    Don't get me wrong. Timed finishing is really bad. If you get it yellow even 2 metres from goal you will miss. Getting it green isn't even worth it all. Doesn't really add anything to the shot.

Then also the composed finishing is BS. Players still miss easy chances and long distance finese is dead with midfielders dropping between defenders now then park the bus would be too OP.

Overall, I am suprised how manual this game is even passing is so hard talkeless of defending. Hope there is no patch. Very promising except the shooting.
  • EA_Andy
    3153 posts EA Community Manager
    Will merge threads into this one - lets try and keep the feedback in one place - cheers.
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    Yes, I'm still skeptical about a lot of things, and a lot left to be desired. I wish they made the animations close to what PES has. Boy, PES has really nailed movement/physics/animations.

It'll all boil down to how Ultimate Team works, obviously. The damage FIFA 19 has caused, it'll take a lot to make up for it.

Just that, I can't say this is not better, even if a tad bit (;
  • D0lvl
    1468 posts Play-Off Hero
    If it feels slower then won't online play feel slower overall?

• Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    498 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Only played a couple of CL kick of games. Up to now seems good. But not a fan of playing against ai. Will judge properly against online opponents.
    Played 1 game of Volta . Not for me that mode.
  • joehuk
    3222 posts National Call-Up
    Ok so played a couple of games.

Passing - very good still abit to assisted for my liking
    Shooting - improved but couple of glitchy shots observed
    Pace - imo spot on really like the pace so far feel like I have time on the ball aswell due to pitch looking bigger, less player coverage.
    Tackling - much improved.

What I'm really concerned about.

Dribbling....what...Have.... you... done... my players seem as tho they don't wanna move with the ball.

Receive a pass turn on the spot and pass it all the game seems to want me to do.
  • Recoba
    3610 posts National Call-Up
    Old build.
  • freakjas
    5703 posts Big Money Move
    Don't get me wrong. Timed finishing is really bad. If you get it yellow even 2 metres from goal you will miss. Getting it green isn't even worth it all. Doesn't really add anything to the shot.

Then also the composed finishing is BS. Players still miss easy chances and long distance finese is dead with midfielders dropping between defenders now then park the bus would be too OP.

Overall, I am suprised how manual this game is even passing is so hard talkeless of defending. Hope there is no patch. Very promising except the shooting.
    I like the timed finish thing. It should be worth it timing your shot green and it should punish you if you time it red or yellow if that makes sense.

Like it was just stupid conceding yellow and red timed volleys etc when you can‘t even time your shot properly lol.

Obviously can‘t really judge from the demo cause it‘s not ultimate team but it doesn‘t look too bad rn.
  • joehuk
    3222 posts National Call-Up
    Recoba wrote: »
    Old build.

It does feel a very old build hopefully it is.
    :joy:
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    D0lvl wrote: »

Slower is not necessarily worse. In fact, I could do with even a bit slower, but that's just me. How it will be online doesn't depend on how it is in now, instead it depends on the server responsiveness and other technical factors.

My thought is, it's just that bit slower to make up your mind about how to defend or attack, which i believe is huge plus coming from how RNG FIFA 19 was. That bit of mindfulness/mindlessness that'll reward/punish you, makes it better.

It was my first year of FUT last year, and I'm still learning about a lot of things. I hear about how it goes in drain after patches and all. Also, looking closely throughout the series of awful changes FIFA 19 went through, I completely agree, it might just all go south.

For now, I'd like to be positive. Otherwise, there's no shortage of other amazing games (;
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    joehuk wrote: »
    Recoba wrote: »
    Old build.

It does feel a very old build hopefully it is.
    :joy:

Is it faster in newer builds, have you played any? I hope it doesn't turn RNG like FIFA 19, that'll just kill it for me. Can't have more of that mindlessness
  • freakjas
    5703 posts Big Money Move
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    remember 19 Demo ? it was way better than the final product. and after 2 patches they broke the game and all the exploits appeared.
    best way to judge the game is after the first patch

There‘s always gonna be exploits cause certain people do nothing but search for them and then upload their youtube videos.
    I remember one guy on here posting a vid either last year or two years ago of how to score from kick off by making your striker run into the box as fast as possible and you’re crossing the ball with full power to him from idk where and you score.

Anyway it just depends how bad these exploits are, if it‘s anything like these stupid first touch shots and volleys and all the bs from last year i‘m quitting.
  • Avochad0
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    players like sissoko and Fabinho are lit .. Benzema also Giroud etc.. hope they dont change the speed of gameplay.. Fifa looks good this year.. Pace is nothing at the moment
  • Safehands84
    3382 posts National Call-Up
    Avochad0 wrote: »
    players like sissoko and Fabinho are lit .. Benzema also Giroud etc.. hope they dont change the speed of gameplay.. Fifa looks good this year.. Pace is nothing at the moment

No the OP is comparing the demo which is kick off mode against FUT 19, it will feel slower because they are different speeds. Go and play a kick off game on 19 and FUT , chalk and cheese. Now if he is comparing the demo to kick off on 19, he may have a point but I doubt he is,so any comparison is not like for like and therefore worthless.
  • Designer
    185 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    :D These type of threads have existed since the dawn of time. Always goes: the demo is great!" Couple of updates later: "ROOOAARR" outrage!
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    Avochad0 wrote: »

No the OP is comparing the demo which is kick off mode against FUT 19, it will feel slower because they are different speeds. Go and play a kick off game on 19 and FUT , chalk and cheese. Now if he is comparing the demo to kick off on 19, he may have a point but I doubt he is,so any comparison is not like for like and therefore worthless.

Yes, i'm comparing kick-off to kick-off. FIFA 19 kick-off is still very RNG. I'm guessing the difference between kick-off and UT does and will change, but if it's in the same ratio, I'd still call it better. Mind you, FIFA 19 being my first year of FUT, I'm no less skeptical about it all going to hell at some point. Just wanted to point out what feels better. Coz let's face it, there wasn't positive to say about FIFA 19
  • Moiizer
    6099 posts Big Money Move
    Ah the yearly mistake of people thinking the build on the demo is anything like the release build. Plus another year of people thinking kick off is anything like fut gameplay. If you play kick off exclusively i guess you can be happy.
  • Joestoe
    4709 posts National Call-Up
    Can you play against each other? Will give it a go against my little brother to get the hang of the new skills.
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    Joestoe wrote: »
    Can you play against each other? Will give it a go against my little brother to get the hang of the new skills.

Yes, I believe you can. I do enjoy that a lot, with my friends
  • Pooter
    1292 posts Professional
    Are Liverpool one of the teams on the demo?
  • Avochad0
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    i read most players saying that Kick off is different than Ultimate team . i will say it too ... Exactly Fut Champions is like Different game :smile: kick off looks good but Ultimate Team will be very different
  • d3b4s1s
    77 posts Park Captain
    Pooter wrote: »
    Are Liverpool one of the teams on the demo?

Yes. Real Madrid, Spurs, Chelsea, Dortmund, Liverpool, PSG that's it! Also, only UCL Group Stage