Will (Jacob) Harry Maguire ever be able to justify his $96.5million transfer fee?

Rhodesia
783 posts Semi-Pro
edited September 3
Manchester United paid a record transfer fee for a defender for (Jacob) Harry Maguire in the summer. In the 156 year history of football, through all the majestic defenders it has produced, no defender has cost more than Maguire.

Will he ever be able to live up to that price tag? I say live up since his past performances at Leicester City certainly do not to merit this type of fee, where he was outperformed by the likes of calamity Mustafi.

When we look at comparable examples both in similar position to him and in varying ones we see that often players that command such fees totally transform a teams.

Examples:

Virgil van Dijk once held this title. We've seen that his arrival at Liverpool has ushered in an era of resolute defending at Liverpool that has lead to them amassing a record breaking PL points tally and be crowned the best team in football with their Champions League win in June. On a personal level Virgil van Dijk has cemented himself as not only the greatest defender of his generation but arguable the best player in the world with his recent UEFA Men's Player of the Year Award. A honor recognising the best player in the world best federation.

Cristiano Ronaldo once held the accolade of the world most expensive player. He repaid that
moniker by winning 4 Ballon d'Ors and 4 Champions League.

Kylian Mbappé is another case, the player of partial Algerian descent being the most expensive teenager in footballing history. For his part Mbappé saw fit to almost single-handedly win his country a World Cup at the tender age of 19.

For 3 weeks Alisson Becker was the worlds most expensive goalkeeper, doubling the previous record. Much like his team van Dijk Alisson has been a crucial factor in the recent success of Liverpool. Culminating with his recognition as the worlds greatest goalkeeper with his recent UEFA Champions League Goalkeeper of the Season award.

Whilst some might point to the transfer of the likes of Neymar and state that he has not justified his world record fee in terms of footballing performances, it's indisputable that the brand value Neymar brings to PSG and Qatar makes up for the figures involved in the deal. Harry Maguire has the brand pull of a rice cake.

Whilst it's still early doors it's not looked good for Maguire in his 1st four games at United. 1 win from 4 games and part of a defensive unit that has conceded 4 goals and languishing in midtable. Contributing to United's worst league start in 27 years, before he was even born. Not the impact you'd expect from a nearly $100million signing.

If the naked eye does not fully illustrate the slow start Maguire has had than stats certainly do. He has been outperformed by the likes of unfashionable such as Çaglar Söyüncü, Steve Cook, Lewis Dunk, Jannik Vestergaard,
Arthur Masuaka, Willy Boly etc... to just name a few.

Realistically what do you think Maguire would need to achieve at United to even come close to repaying his transfer fee? For me personally a MINIMUM of a Champions League or PL title in the next 2 years is the least you can expect if you're making the statement of intent United have made with Maguire. Each passing game where Maguire fails to at least abstractedly perform at this level is a game in which he has let down the faith his employers have shown in him.

Post edited by Rhodesia on

Comments

• Chubbs
    14270 posts Has That Special Something
    No, hes nowhere near good enough to justify it.
  • Jboom98
    101 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    There's not much between Maguire and Smalling yet Smalling is probably a better footballer maguire is a better header of course he was going to go to Manchester United would you turn down 95 million money talks.
  • SDoofus
    4745 posts National Call-Up
    Back with a banger :D
  • Tornado31619
    16491 posts World Class
    It’s “has Harry Maguire justified his price tag”. Get it right :wink:
  • forearms
    4717 posts National Call-Up
    Are we really going to do this?
  • Keano
    12778 posts Has That Special Something
    forearms wrote: »
    Are we really going to do this?

Realistically...

to rival fans, he has no chance.

to United fans he could, but it'll take some work.
  • ViVaWhom
    7896 posts League Winner
    edited September 3
    Jboom98 wrote: »
    yet Smalling is probably a better footballer .

i cant believe i read this

this confirms to me that this guy has never seen smalling play
  • cdbuck26
    3301 posts National Call-Up
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    yet Smalling is probably a better footballer .

i cant believe i read this

this confirms to me that this guy has never seen smalling play

He must have been watching Smalling highlight videos... from Fifa 17
  • ChrisLFC
    7033 posts Big Money Move
    There's not much between Maguire and Smalling yet Smalling is probably a better footballer maguire is a better header of course he was going to go to Manchester United would you turn down 95 million money talks.

Lol no he isn't. The whole appeal of Maguire is that he's an upgrade with the ball at his feet. :D
  • ChrisLFC
    7033 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 4
    Söyüncü has been amazing the first few weeks. Leicester don't even need to sign a replacement.
  • Was very poor last night for England. Compounded it by giving away a penalty that put England under pressure for the entire 2nd half.
  • arsenalap
    4533 posts National Call-Up
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    Söyüncü has been amazing the first few weeks. Leicester don't even need to sign a replacement.

Was very rated before last season too and has been a beast this season.
  • Fadazzo
    192 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Did United need an centre back of his level? Absolutely. Did they overpay? Absolutely.

In my opinion, a player can only justify that sum by winning either multiple Premier League-titles or obtaining the Champions League. Both -logically- won't happen at United for the upcoming years.

Take a look at Ajax per example ('my' club). They had an brilliant season and sold De Ligt and Frenkie de Jong for a combined sum of 186 million. I get that they are desired players, but it basically screwed the Eredivisie for the upcoming decade or so. The difference in finances between Ajax and the rest of the league is absolutely bonkers, they'll probably dominate for years to come.

Circling back to Maguire, United paid more for him than they got for Ronaldo in 2009. That basically says it all. How much would a proven Champions League player cost nowadays? 200+ million I guess. The inflation and influx of shady clubowners completely ruined the game.
  • Alex_cr
    4796 posts National Call-Up

Smalling is not a better footballer than Maguire.
  • TakeItSlow
    7182 posts Big Money Move
    Fadazzo wrote: »
    Did United need an centre back of his level? Absolutely. Did they overpay? Absolutely.

In my opinion, a player can only justify that sum by winning either multiple Premier League-titles or obtaining the Champions League. Both -logically- won't happen at United for the upcoming years.

Take a look at Ajax per example ('my' club). They had an brilliant season and sold De Ligt and Frenkie de Jong for a combined sum of 186 million. I get that they are desired players, but it basically screwed the Eredivisie for the upcoming decade or so. The difference in finances between Ajax and the rest of the league is absolutely bonkers, they'll probably dominate for years to come.

Circling back to Maguire, United paid more for him than they got for Ronaldo in 2009. That basically says it all. How much would a proven Champions League player cost nowadays? 200+ million I guess. The inflation and influx of shady clubowners completely ruined the game.

Not true. Unless you're talking absolute elite talents like Mbappe. Man United don't need to spend what they're spending on individual footballers. Clubs know they can mug United off and get them to pay astronomical fees for Europa league level players. United could've done things so much better since Fergie left. I think they're up to a billion spent now since that time. 950m-1bn.

Just look at Liverpool as a prime example and even Manchester City as they don't spend over the odds for individual footballers. It comes down to board/manager and scouting network. None of which has been good enough for United, so they're forced to spend big on lower level players.
  • Ahmer50x
    17318 posts World Class
    “United need to scout better”—>Daniel James—>”why are United signing Championship wingers lol”
  • Pxul_
    7724 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    “United need to scout better”—>Daniel James—>”why are United signing Championship wingers lol”

*Spends 80 mill on a mid table Centre back*
  • Alex_cr
    It’s worth remembering that Man City had a genuine interest in Maguire. They were not willing to go above 70 million - that’s still a lot of cash and last time I checked he’s been a fairly decent judge of player.

Also there’s a homegrown premium to attach here.
  • TakeItSlow
    7182 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

One signing from the championship doesn't = good scouting over the past 6/7 years.
  • arsenalap
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    It’s worth remembering that Man City had a genuine interest in Maguire. They were not willing to go above 70 million - that’s still a lot of cash and last time I checked he’s been a fairly decent judge of player.

You've answered your own question. City are struggling with homegrown players and Maguire would have been a reasonable fix.

If he wasnt english I highly doubt they would have looked at him.
  • Alex_cr
    arsenalap wrote: »

You've answered your own question. City are struggling with homegrown players and Maguire would have been a reasonable fix.

Come on now! You don’t spend 70 million to get your quota. Also struggling so bad they didn’t buy Maguire and sold Delph?

I’m not suggesting that Maguire is worth anywhere near 80 million. But then no-one is.
  • arsenalap
    arsenalap wrote: »

Come on now! You don’t spend 70 million to get your quota. Also struggling so bad they didn’t buy Maguire and sold Delph?

I’m not suggesting that Maguire is worth anywhere near 80 million. But then no-one is.

Hes obviously a decent player, and him rotating with Stones could have been a viable option.

But like I said, if he wasnt English I doubt they would have gone near him.

Delph left for game time. They aren't desperate for homegrown players but they are definently lacking.