All Time Premier League XI

Comments

• SDoofus
    4745 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »
    Not a single pick for DDG? Even though I've bantered about him over the last year, at his peak, surely he's the best?

Schmeichels aerial presence, command of the area, leadership & sheer dominance was something else. De Gea's reflexes are amazing& imo unmatched from what I can remember, but Schmeichel winning what he did with us gets that spot for me.

I do think lack of trophies can be a very harsh way to leave someone out. It's like Gerrard, people tend to not rate him as highly, due to not winning the PL, but the reality is, if he had gone to Chelsea at the time, he would have several PL medals. If DDG played for City right now, he would have several PL medals. Trophies is more of a team achievement, and I don't think it's too fair to bring that into the discussion when comparing individual players. Suarez won next to nothing here, but he's easily the best striker I've ever seen up front for us and Salah/Mane/Firmino winning the CL doesn't change that for me. Just an example.
    Suarez over peak Torres?
    On another note imagine those two together at they’re peak. They’d be the best strike partnership the world has ever seen(speaking on their day)

100%

And that's coming from someone who idolised Torres (and Alonso) throughout my school years.
  • EA_Andy
    3130 posts EA Community Manager
    I just think (and this might be nostalgia), that Schmeichel had great reflexes as well

• Alex_cr
    4796 posts National Call-Up
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    I just think (and this might be nostalgia), that Schmeichel had great reflexes as well

Champions League has never been the same since that commentator retired
  • SDoofus

Nowhere near as good as this:

• El_Nino
    2905 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not a single pick for DDG? Even though I've bantered about him over the last year, at his peak, surely he's the best?

Schmeichels aerial presence, command of the area, leadership & sheer dominance was something else. De Gea's reflexes are amazing& imo unmatched from what I can remember, but Schmeichel winning what he did with us gets that spot for me.

I do think lack of trophies can be a very harsh way to leave someone out. It's like Gerrard, people tend to not rate him as highly, due to not winning the PL, but the reality is, if he had gone to Chelsea at the time, he would have several PL medals. If DDG played for City right now, he would have several PL medals. Trophies is more of a team achievement, and I don't think it's too fair to bring that into the discussion when comparing individual players. Suarez won next to nothing here, but he's easily the best striker I've ever seen up front for us and Salah/Mane/Firmino winning the CL doesn't change that for me. Just an example.
    Suarez over peak Torres?
    On another note imagine those two together at they’re peak. They’d be the best strike partnership the world has ever seen(speaking on their day)

100%

And that's coming from someone who idolised Torres (and Alonso) throughout my school years.

I guess as a pure 9 you could argue Torres, but I agree Suarez probably had more to his game.
  • Alex_cr

Come on now! That’s virtually straight at him!
  • SDoofus

Suarez over peak Torres?

100%

I guess as a pure 9 you could argue Torres, but I agree Suarez probably had more to his game.

I do think people forget how good Suarez was in his final season with us, because it was such a short time, but if you fancy being absolutely floored, here:

• Keano
    12778 posts Has That Special Something

@EA_Andy That's the exact save I thought of when writing that statement... I knew someone would post it & save me time ;)
  • SDoofus
    Alex_cr wrote: »

So is Peter's
  • Alex_cr
    Alex_cr wrote: »

So is Peter's

To be fair it is 😂

I think Schmeichel’s got some award?
  • 1690_Ulster_FC
    3423 posts National Call-Up
    Schmeichel
    Neville, Adams, Vidic, Irwin
    Scholes, Keane, Gerrard
    Ronaldo, Shearer, Giggs.

CB is hard due to Ferdinand, Stam, Terry..even Carragher.

Midfield dilema only really Gerrard v Lampard in my opinion.

Up front I'd love to include Zola for a bit of magic.
  • Pxul_
    7724 posts League Winner
    Given my hilarious effort before but on a serious bit of who I’ve seen play personally:

Van Der Saar
    Neville Terry VVD Riise/Cole
    Gerrard Scholes
    Lampard
    Ronaldo Suarez Torres

Pains me to have so many United players in but tbf they dominated while I was growing up.
  • 1690_Ulster_FC

I still remember Schmeichels save that night being compared to Gordon Banks.

For a guy of his height and bulk, to get down into the corner that quickly and lift it over the bar is immense.
  • Delboy13710
    4723 posts National Call-Up
    Lol @ Suarez/Torres above Henry that's just scandalous .
  • SDoofus
    edited September 17

Well, if we are talking about all 3 of them at their peak, there's not a lot between them. And that's coming from someone who grew up through my school years believing that Thierry Henry was the best.

Henry and Torres were extremely similar players. Suarez completely different, but just as good, if not, better.
  • Delboy13710
    4723 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 17

Well, if we are talking about all 3 of them at their peak, there's not a lot between them. And that's coming from someone who grew up through my school years believing that Thierry Henry was the best.

Henry and Torres were extremely similar players. Suarez completely different, but just as good, if not, better.

This is a subjective discussion if it's all time including longevity then it's not even close .

If its 1 off players at there peak then its alot closer
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    Schmeichel

Neville - Terry - Ferdinand - Cole

Gerrard - Vieira - Lampard

Hazard - Henry - Ronaldo
  • Keano
    12778 posts Has That Special Something
    Henry>Suarez>Torres imo.

Suarez goes above Torres purely because of the whole almost winning the league & such, prob had a better attack around him to help, but whats remembered looks better, though all three are fantastic strikers & top at the time in their peak. Henry wins it purely because of longevity & the amount of stuff he was able to do. Henry is in the top 3 strikers of Prem history, the others may make the top 5, but you could argue anyone for the top 10 honestly, there are so many names.
  • Kellnerr
    2498 posts Fans' Favourite
    Schmeichel
    Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole
    Beckham - Lampard - Gerrard - Giggs
    Shearer - Henry

If VvD, KdB, Salah and maybe Sterling play another few years on that level in the PL they might slot in eventually. Too difficult to only choose 2 CMs, was biased there. Can't put in 3 either though since Shearer and Henry must not be left out imo.
  • arsenalap
    4533 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 17

In what way were Henry and Torres similar?

What was Torres best season for assists?

Yep they have some similar traits but they were no way near extremely similar players.

Torres had better movement and finishing at his peak. Henry had everything else.

I dont see how anyone can put Torres in over Henry or Shearer tbh. Suarez at his peak was phenomenal, but longevity wise not there.
  • AFC AJAX NR 1
    13067 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 17

Overmars - Bergkamp - van Nistelrooy - Hasselbaink - van Persie - Robben - Kuyt

van der Vaart

VVD - Stam

van der Sar

B)
  • AFC AJAX NR 1
    13067 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 17
    arsenalap wrote: »

Yep they have some similar traits but they were no way near extremely similar players.

Torres had better movement and finishing at his peak. Henry had everything else.

I dont see how anyone can put Torres in over Henry or Shearer tbh. Suarez at his peak was phenomenal, but longevity wise not there.

Shearer is overrated. PL wasn't even peaking in Europe at the time Shearer dominated.
  • 1690_Ulster_FC

Shearer is overrated. PL wasn't even peaking in Europe at the time Shearer dominated.

Shearer overrated.. What would he have scored had he went to Man Utd?
  • SDoofus

Lol, they were both tall, sleek, fast players who glided across the pitch and had a similar type of graceful finishing ability. Sorry if they weren't exactly the same, but they were very, very similar players.
  • Kellnerr
    2498 posts Fans' Favourite
    Suarez and Torres don't even come close. Top4 strikers must be Shearer, Henry, Rooney and actually Aguero already. Kane with the chance, depending on how his career develops.
  • arsenalap

Lol, they were both tall, sleek, fast players who glided across the pitch and had a similar type of graceful finishing ability. Sorry if they weren't exactly the same, but they were very, very similar players.

They were nothing alike for me. Similarities stop with their pace and height.

Henry had much better all round game. Passing, dribbling, physicality, vision.

Torres was a better finisher and movement in his prime.
  • El_Nino

Henry absolutely did not have better Physicality.
    As a pure 9 Torres prime was the better goal scorer, Better finisher, better in the air, better physically, faster. Henry though as you say had much more about his game he wasn’t just a pure goal scorer, far better passing/vision/dribbling.

Looking at both at prime, Torres is the better 9, Henry is the better all round player.
  • arsenalap

As a pure 9 Torres prime was the better goal scorer, Better finisher, better in the air, better physically, faster. Henry though as you say had much more about his game he wasn’t just a pure goal scorer, far better passing/vision/dribbling.

Looking at both at prime, Torres is the better 9, Henry is the better all round player.

Define physicality for you. I agree with the finishing and better in the air.

But in what way was he better physically? Henry bullied defenders at times with his presence. Faster.. hmm maybe but Henry was incredibly fast.
  • El_Nino

But in what way was he better physically? Henry bullied defenders at times with his presence. Faster.. hmm maybe but Henry was incredibly fast.

Physicality I would define as speed/strength/balance/agility/jumping. I think people forget Torres was genuinely a strong player, he just rarely used it because of how ridiculously fast he was, Torres was an absolute athlete in his prime.
    Don’t get me wrong Henry was a fantastic athlete too, but for me Torres was better in that regard.
  • arsenalap

Physicality I would define as speed/strength/balance/agility/jumping. I think people forget Torres was genuinely a strong player, he just rarely used it because of how ridiculously fast he was, Torres was an absolute athlete in his prime.
    Don’t get me wrong Henry was a fantastic athlete too, but for me Torres was better in that regard.

I disagree but I see your point. I know Torres was a good athlete though, so fair enough if that's your opinion.

But I hold firm on them not being that similar as players.