All Time Premier League XI

El_Nino
2905 posts Fans' Favourite
edited August 30
This thread prompts a thought, I’d like to see an all time prem XI votes by the real football section, I think one was done by someone in the Xbox section. But I’d be curious to see who the regulars I speak to in real football vote for.

Comments

• Alex_cr
    4796 posts National Call-Up
    El_Nino wrote: »
    This thread prompts a thought, I’d like to see an all time prem XI votes by the real football section, I think one was done by someone in the Xbox section. But I’d be curious to see who the regulars I speak to in real football vote for.

Peter Schmeichel

Gary Neville Rio VVD Ashley Cole

Beckham Vieira Keane Giggs

Shearer Henry

I’m having Asprilla on the bench though because he’s my favourite!

• Pxul_
    7724 posts League Winner
    edited August 30
    Alisson
    TAA Hyppia VVD Robbo
    Gerrard Alonso
    Salah Mane Torres
    Suarez
  • SDoofus
    4745 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 30
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Alisson
    TAA Hyppia VVD Rovno
    Gerrard Alonso
    Salah Mane Torres
    Suarez

:D

Edit: actually, looking at that team, I reckon it would give any combined effort a proper game. Jesus.
  • TakeItSlow
    7182 posts Big Money Move
    Cech

Neville - Vidic - VVD - Ashley Cole

Ronaldo - Vieira - Gerrard - Giggs

Bergkamp - Henry

All day for me
  • El_Nino
    Cech
    Neville—Terry—Vidic—Cole
    Ronaldo—Lampard—Vieira—Giggs
    Rooney—Henry

That’s mine. Yeah that’s hurt to leave Drogba out but Rooney was unstoppable for a good few years.

• El_Nino
    I can set up the threads if people want to vote on it for the real football section? If anyone is that fussed, I’d be intrigued.
  • Ahmer50x
    17318 posts World Class
    Not old enough to remember seeing him play but I frequently hear that Denis Irwin was the best LB?
  • Alex_cr
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Not old enough to remember seeing him play but I frequently hear that Denis Irwin was the best LB?

Sadly I’m old enough 😂

He was quality but Ashley Cole is undoubtedly the best left back of the premier league era
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4265 posts National Call-Up
    Schmeichel
    Nev - Terry - Rio - Cole
    CR7 - Lampard - Vieira - Pires
    Shearer - Henry

other wing spot is the hardest, could be any of Giggs/Hazard and possibly Salah if he keeps up his form at Liverpool for another few years. Same with VVD and Rio.
  • El_Nino
    Some interesting picks so far, I’d never have thought I’d seen Pires over Giggs, Bergkamp over many strikers, no Scholes in any team so far. And a partnership with neither Rio or Terry.
  • SDoofus
    @EA_Andy could you split the thread?
  • El_Nino
    SDoofus wrote: »
    @EA_Andy could you split the thread?

Apologies for hijacking the thread 😂
  • EA_Andy
    3132 posts EA Community Manager
    This is always extremely difficult. Think there's lots of arguments that could be made in multiple positions.

Only locks for me are Schmeichel in goal and Cole at LB and probably Neville at RB.

Schmeichel
    Neville -Ferdinand - Vidic - Cole
    Beckham - Scholes - Keane - Ronaldo
    Shearer - Henry

Just doesn't seem right to leave out Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira, Rooney, Suarez either, and probably a bunch more I've forgotten.
  • Alex_cr
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    This is always extremely difficult. Think there's lots of arguments that could be made in multiple positions.

Only locks for me are Schmeichel in goal and Cole at LB and probably Neville at RB.

Schmeichel
    Neville -Ferdinand - Vidic - Cole
    Shearer - Henry

Just doesn't seem right to leave out Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira, Rooney, Suarez either, and probably a bunch more I've forgotten.

Shearer has to be a lock for me just because he’s by far and away the top scorer. Gerrard and Lampard are difficult to leave out but you’ve got to have Keane or Vieira (or both in my case).
  • Keano
    12778 posts Has That Special Something
    Schmeichel
    Neville - Ferdinand - Vidic - Irwin
    Cantona - Henry

Prob Biased, but overall United dominated the Prem era, plenty of players could've taken those spots.... but i'm thinking about how well the majority of those players played together as well.

Vieira, Giggs, Shearer, Cole, Terry, Bergkamp, Cole, VDS, Cech, Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Staam.

PLenty of players that you could argue for, support it's just down to preference & when it's 50/50, the player you prefer.
  • Wyojasond
    11226 posts Has That Special Something
    Only been following the sport for about 5-6 years now, wouldn’t even know where to start compared to a lot of your guys lists.

On that note though, it will be fun to look back in about 10 years or so and see how big of an impact a lot of today’s players had.
  • SDoofus
    Not a single pick for DDG? Even though I've bantered about him over the last year, at his peak, surely he's the best?
  • Alex_cr
    Not a single pick for DDG? Even though I've bantered about him over the last year, at his peak, surely he's the best?

Were you about during Schmeichel era?
  • El_Nino
    What are all the realistic options for each position?
    GK: Cech/Schmeicel. Maybe VDS. Anyone else?
    RB: Neville seems the only contender, next best probably being Zabaleta/Ivanovic
    CB:Terry/Rio/Vidic, I wouldn’t but I assume others would consider VVD, anyone else?
    LB: Cole/Irwin/Evra
    Central Mid: so so many options: Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes/Vieira/Keane/Makelele/Silva/KDB anyone I’ve missed?
    LM/W: Giggs/Hazard/Pires
    RM/W:Beckham/Ronaldo/Salah
    ST: Rooney/Shearer/Henry/Drogba/Aguero/Bergkamp I’m sure there’s more some people would consider too.
  • SDoofus
    Alex_cr wrote: »

I'm 29 now, but started following football in 2001, when my Stepdad introduced me to Liverpool, so I think Barthez was the United goalkeeper at that point, from memory. Prior to being into football, my United supporting Stepbrother (not related to Stepdad) idolised Peter Schmeical and I did actually see quite a lot of him, even though I wasn't that into football at the time, but I think I was too young to really "understand" if you get me? I was like 8 or 9. I have seen plenty of clips of him since, though, and still think DDG is a better goalkeeper at his peak.
  • El_Nino

I think most would argue he’s never been better than Schmeicel/Cech at their best(depending who you rate higher) and DDG has lacked there consistency over such long spells
  • Keano

Schmeichels aerial presence, command of the area, leadership & sheer dominance was something else. De Gea's reflexes are amazing& imo unmatched from what I can remember, but Schmeichel winning what he did with us gets that spot for me.
  • Alex_cr

I'm 29 now, but started following football in 2001, when my Stepdad introduced me to Liverpool, so I think Barthez was the United goalkeeper at that point, from memory. Prior to being into football, my United supporting Stepbrother (not related to Stepdad) idolised Peter Schmeical and I did actually see quite a lot of him, even though I wasn't that into football at the time, but I think I was too young to really "understand" if you get me? I was like 8 or 9. I have seen plenty of clips of him since, though, and still think DDG is a better goalkeeper at his peak.

Yeah totally get that. I can assure you though, and I don’t think you’d find many that disagree - Schmeichel was on a different level. No slight on De Gea that though who’s also extremely good and perhaps a little unlucky to have played behind the likes of smalling and jones 😂
  • El_Nino

Yeah totally get that. I can assure you though, and I don’t think you’d find many that disagree - Schmeichel was on a different level. No slight on De Gea that though who’s also extremely good and perhaps a little unlucky to have played behind the likes of smalling and jones 😂

I tend to find the split is normally fairly even between Cech and Schmeicel, both have similar strengths really, such command of there area and defence.
  • SDoofus
    Keano wrote: »

Schmeichels aerial presence, command of the area, leadership & sheer dominance was something else. De Gea's reflexes are amazing& imo unmatched from what I can remember, but Schmeichel winning what he did with us gets that spot for me.

I do think lack of trophies can be a very harsh way to leave someone out. It's like Gerrard, people tend to not rate him as highly, due to not winning the PL, but the reality is, if he had gone to Chelsea at the time, he would have several PL medals. If DDG played for City right now, he would have several PL medals. Trophies is more of a team achievement, and I don't think it's too fair to bring that into the discussion when comparing individual players. Suarez won next to nothing here, but he's easily the best striker I've ever seen up front for us and Salah/Mane/Firmino winning the CL doesn't change that for me. Just an example.
  • Alex_cr

I tend to find the split is normally fairly even between Cech and Schmeicel, both have similar strengths really, such command of there area and defence.

Cech was superb. I think he’s really only in the argument with Schmeichel though because he’s more recent. I think Seaman deserves a shout out aswell.
  • Keano

I do think lack of trophies can be a very harsh way to leave someone out. It's like Gerrard, people tend to not rate him as highly, due to not winning the PL, but the reality is, if he had gone to Chelsea at the time, he would have several PL medals. If DDG played for City right now, he would have several PL medals. Trophies is more of a team achievement, and I don't think it's too fair to bring that into the discussion when comparing individual players. Suarez won next to nothing here, but he's easily the best striker I've ever seen up front for us and Salah/Mane/Firmino winning the CL doesn't change that for me. Just an example.

Oh no I get that, but it's the same when Giggs was names Uniteds most influencial player ever (because he's got the most accolades). I just think (and this might be nostalgia), that Schmeichel had great reflexes as well (not quite as good as De gea's), but the great dane also had what De Gea lacks, that aerial presence & command of his area... De Gea never quite got them, he's got better... but he's not mastered it like Schmeichel had.

• Alex_cr

Oh no I get that, but it's the same when Giggs was names Uniteds most influencial player ever (because he's got the most accolades). I just think (and this might be nostalgia), that Schmeichel had great reflexes as well (not quite as good as De gea's), but the great dane also had what De Gea lacks, that aerial presence & command of his area... De Gea never quite got them, he's got better... but he's not mastered it like Schmeichel had.

Don’t forget that throw he had!
  • El_Nino

Suarez over peak Torres?
    On another note imagine those two together at they’re peak. They’d be the best strike partnership the world has ever seen(speaking on their day)
  • El_Nino

Cech was superb. I think he’s really only in the argument with Schmeichel though because he’s more recent. I think Seaman deserves a shout out aswell.

Seaman would be my 3rd choice, he’s just a comfortable third behind those two. I rate Cech slightly higher. Having watched a lot of both I just think Cech had slightly better reflexes while still having the same Ariel presence.