Virgil van Dijk

Comments

• SDoofus
    4784 posts National Call-Up
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    I swear mods said yesterday no to these threads. Stop cluttering the forum.

Not really the same, though, is it? Stay on topic or just leave the thread if you can't discuss it nicely.

He’s the best CB in the world, doesn’t need to be discussed. Just creating a thread for the sake of it.

Clearly it has evoked some differing views, which is being discussed.
  • Elpistolero91
    720 posts An Exciting Prospect
    People who say he's not a leader or doesn't have pace clearly haven't seen enough of him or are just being biased. He's flawless to put it quite simply. Not only is he flawless but he makes everything look so easy. The other cbs in question don't stand a chance, it's like comparing a rolls royce to a fiat panda.
  • SDoofus
    edited August 30
    🏆 UEFA Champions League
    🏆 UEFA Super Cup
    🏆 UEFA Men's Best Player award
    🏆 PFA Player of the Year
    ✅ Liverpool fans' Player of the Year
    ✅ Liverpool players' Player of the Year
    ✅ Premier League Team of the Season
    ✅ Champions League Team of the Season

What a year for Virgil van Dijk! 🔴👏
  • El_Nino
    2947 posts Fans' Favourite

Both crazy examples of his pace.

Tbh your probably right that he’s quicker than Terry, but I’d say Terry read the game better, as said by someone else, that’s not knocking BBD ability to do so, but Terry probably has one of if not the best defensive footballing brains ever.
  • Ahmer50x
    17463 posts World Class
    VVD is the best CB in the world. He is a complete footballer. No doubt about those things.

Will say he needs prolonged trophies to be considered in the legends bracket. Every chance he'll do it, but you can't put him there just yet. Needs a little time.
  • Pietu
    1888 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    VVD is the best CB in the world. He is a complete footballer. No doubt about those things.

Will say he needs prolonged trophies to be considered in the legends bracket. Every chance he'll do it, but you can't put him there just yet. Needs a little time.

Yep, that's what I also think
  • Cyodine
    1317 posts Professional

Is he the best CB in the PL era?

Whilst he doesn't yet have the longevity or the trophy count of some of the PL greats i.e. Vidic, Terry and Ferdinand, I can't help but honestly believe that VVD is a superior player than all of them. I don't think any of those 3, or anyone else, quite measures up to VVD as an overall player. It is genuinely crazy how good this man is and it's a shame he didn't arrive at a big club earlier in his career, but I do think he has many, many years left
  • Snugglebites
    1071 posts Professional
    I consider Yaya at his best to be the best midfielder the PL has seen, but it was only for 2 seasons so I won't put him in the all time list. VVD is in the same boat now, he just needs to keep going to be put at the top.
  • Pughy30
    25728 posts Player of the Year
    Consistency is key it’s absurd to call him the best ever based off 2 seasons
  • ChrisLFC
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    None of Terry, Vidic or Rio won a Ballon D'or. If he wins that surely he surpasses them.
  • SDoofus
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    for being the best, you would think he could manage a clean sheet this season

Next.
  • Headshrinker363
    4807 posts National Call-Up
    He’s got a little bit of all the top defenders to have graced the epl/bpl era to his game. To all that mention Rio, Terry, Vidic, I’d add Campbell and Stam to that list. Both top class defenders.
  • SDoofus
    edited September 11

Sky currently running a knock out vote competition to crown the PL’s greatest CB. VVD is in the final, beating Adams and Kompany along the way. He’ll face either Vidic or Rio in the final.

Laporte not even considered.
  • Apollo
    14406 posts Has That Special Something

Sky currently running a knock out vote competition to crown the PL’s greatest CB. VVD is in the final, beating Adams and Kompany along the way. He’ll face either Vidic or Rio in the final.

The problem with that is the demographic that'll be voting. A huge percentage won't have seen Adams play and probably can't even remember seeing Vidic and Ferdinand in their prime :D
  • Alex_cr
    4864 posts Big Money Move
    Apollo wrote: »

The problem with that is the demographic that'll be voting. A huge percentage won't have seen Adams play and probably can't even remember seeing Vidic and Ferdinand in their prime :D

People voted Vidic over Terry. Tells you all you need to know.
  • El_Nino

As has already been mentioned, Vidic over Terry shows how useless that poll is.
  • Keano
    12920 posts Has That Special Something
    Alex_cr wrote: »

They’re smart.
  • El_Nino
    Keano wrote: »

They’re smart.

So wrong it hurts.
  • Keano
    12920 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »

They’re smart.

So wrong it hurts.

As much as captain leader legend telling his team he would take the pen over them, to then miss? :trollface:

Terry would be a good bench player for that team but that’s all.
  • Retro_G
    28292 posts Player of the Year
    VVD is like a carbon copy of Jaap Stam, except Stam had more physicality. Stam didn't have the longevity in the prem, but he was easily the most complete centre back I've ever seen in a United shirt.