Your age vs. your skill level

Comments

• Rossco160715
    2142 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gold 1 / Elite 3
    Division 1, 2350 skill rating

Play style varies. I rarely use skill moves and prefer a more realistic approach.

• Tosh22
    4 posts Ball Boy
    45 hang around div 2-3 in rivals,fut founder though so played every year,last 3-4 years have been the worst yet imo.
    Don't hold much hope for 20 but i've pre-ordered it anyway (what else can you do)
    Wish they would bring bronze and silver tournaments back and breath some life back into bronze and silver market,loved beating gold teams with a mls or scandanavian bronze team..
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    11193 posts Has That Special Something
    33, Gold 1/2, div 1.
  • George_Cook_Over60
    270 posts Sunday League Hero
    Tosh22 wrote: »
    45 hang around div 2-3 in rivals,fut founder though so played every year,last 3-4 years have been the worst yet imo.
    Don't hold much hope for 20 but i've pre-ordered it anyway (what else can you do)
    Wish they would bring bronze and silver tournaments back and breath some life back into bronze and silver market,loved beating gold teams with a mls or scandanavian bronze team..

Those tournaments they had a few years ago were really enjoyable. So much better than the awful squad battles. It was fun getting a team together from a particular nation.
  • Tennster10
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    49 G2 Div 2 got g1 2-3 times and div couple of times.
  • dazco
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    53 g3/d5
    Been playing ages, at least the last 5, and don't know a single skill move.
    Don't even know what the afore mentioned flick up is.
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4204 posts National Call-Up
    33, div 1, g1. I’m probably better now than when I was younger tbh.

I’m still pretty good on games like cod that are all about reactions. And I would be seriously disappointed if I ever go negative on that.

I don’t feel that I’m regressing in anything tbh (other than my hair gradually turning grey 👨🏻‍🦳)

I’m quite healthy though but on the other side, I took a lot of dodgy pills as a teen so who knows what the future holds.

Me to a T.
  • Mrhey31
    1227 posts Professional
    43 years old 2300 skill points. Never play 30 games in WL I stop at gold 3( gold2 when TOTS was important).
  • Gnomenclature
    2666 posts Fans' Favourite
    39 - first fut. 1600ish skill (1800 highest) - I play a lot of rivals, sometimes I'll drop to 1100 and bounce back. D5-3 is really inconsistent for matchmaking - I either get smashed over and over again or the other way around.

Don't really play weekend league anymore... highest was 14 wins, but usually stop at 11. I hate playing against 1depth/width drop back so I generally only play about 5 games of WL before I stop lol. I have a silver squad I'll play with (bunch of favorite players irl) - almost never win with them, but it's fun.
  • SomeNextGuy
    2607 posts Fans' Favourite
    25, Div 1, 2200 skill points, barely manage more than 10 games in WL.
  • Benja190782
    1310 posts Professional
    37 years old. 2300/2400 skill rating. Gold 1/2.

Build up play and possesion.
  • Saiber_Summia
    544 posts An Exciting Prospect
    55, floating D3/D2, usually silver1.

Not interested lo learn games mechanics, so I do not use skills or stuffs like that. I have not patience enough, so what I can get out of my basic style I get, and don’t look for more.
  • Riftydogg1
    101 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    46 and bang average but that don't bother me. All I can say my first football game was Match of the day on spectrum. What a game. 🤣
  • PelzyWelzy
    9328 posts League Winner
    35, keep bouncing around 1700-2100 SR and typically G2, occasional G1 but rarely this year.

Feel like I’ve gotten considerably worse at the game compared to my standards in 17 and 18 but that’s down to simply not playing the same amount as I used to... seem to go on massive winning and losing streaks in rivals whereas before I’d always be consistent.

Nowadays it isn’t rare for me to lose 400-500SR one week just to get it back the next.
  • nicitel32
    1536 posts Play-Off Hero
    34-G2/G1-1750 sp...average player....would love to hit elite in 20 once...but i guess i need to be extremly lucky to pack someone good right in the start as i dont use fifa points, but need better squad than my opponent to have advantage
  • BorussenBernie09
    1395 posts Professional
    37 Div 2 (~1800 SP), G2/3 FUT Champs
  • 32 div 1 and gold 2.
  • SPN1987
    2044 posts Fans' Favourite
    Since this game isn't about reaction or vision at all you can be 100+ years old and still be a T100 player.
  • ILevis
    705 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 25
    Lots of people tend to go on about how teenagers have that much better reaction times and because of that will always be better at videogames that older people.

While it certainly is correct that your reaction times get slower over time, the effect isnt that big. And especially FIFA isnt really a game that relies on fast reactions. Its much more about reading the opponent and anticipating his moves in advance.

In my opinion the main reasons why teenagers outperform adults is that they
    • have much more time to play the game
    • and are faster learners and in general are more open to learning new concepts. A guy playing FIFA since 15 years will have developed certain habits that might sometimes not be applicable in the newer games and might lower their performance. Younger players have developed much less 'bad' habits and basically learn the game with a fresh mind and in the most optimal way
  • ManC2020
    21 posts Last Pick at the Park
    59 years old here. Couldn't be bothered with WL as my weekends are spent with family.
    During the week I do Squad Battles and usually end up Elite 3 or 2. Every now and then do the Rivals games if the objectives are worth it.
    Never do any skill moves that I would not of been able to do when I was younger when I played football.

• GT500
    285 posts Sunday League Hero
    17 Div 2, gold 3
  • George_Cook_Over60
    ManC2020 wrote: »
    59 years old here. Couldn't be bothered with WL as my weekends are spent with family.
    During the week I do Squad Battles and usually end up Elite 3 or 2. Every now and then do the Rivals games if the objectives are worth it.
    Never do any skill moves that I would not of been able to do when I was younger when I played football.

That could be me talking, word for word. (63) I have done 3 weekend leagues though, only because i accumulated points doing Rivals, and my wife was working.
  • George_Cook_Over60
    ILevis wrote: »
    Lots of people tend to go on about how teenagers have that much better reaction times and because of that will always be better at videogames that older people.

While it certainly is correct that your reaction times get slower over time, the effect isnt that big. And especially FIFA isnt really a game that relies on fast reactions. Its much more about reading the opponent and anticipating his moves in advance.

In my opinion the main reasons why teenagers outperform adults is that they
    • have much more time to play the game
    • and are faster learners and in general are more open to learning new concepts. A guy playing FIFA since 15 years will have developed certain habits that might sometimes not be applicable in the newer games and might lower their performance. Younger players have developed much less 'bad' habits and basically learn the game with a fresh mind and in the most optimal way

Some good points my friend. I believe us oldies try to play FIFA like we maybe played football back in the day, i know I do. Less skills, more keeping shape and passing he ball, using wingers, big man little man etc.

One thing though, older people like myself tend to get more aches and pains from time to time. Thumbs, fingers, wrists, back, even eyesight. Saying that, i will play until I can no more.
  • MarkMCFC
    440 posts An Exciting Prospect
    36 div 1 gold 2/1 No skills my fat fingers would probably slip off the pad lol
  • starfox1284
    1574 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 25
    Mrmad1980 wrote: »
    38, gold 2 1700 skill points. I often wonder if younger players have the advantage due to only ever playing with joypads and having the muscle memory from a young age. Where as older players were brought up using joystick . I find some button combinations hard work , especially any think involving R1 and x , triangle, square , circle

They do....We grew up playing games on controllers that would give your hand issues. It matters...i dont like to have a thumb on the 2nd joy stick...its not natural for sports games.
  • Nervous_Nick
    5093 posts Big Money Move
    Riftydogg1 wrote: »
    46 and bang average but that don't bother me. All I can say my first football game was Match of the day on spectrum. What a game. 🤣

I remember it! Also match day II...it was like playing in slow motion! :D
  • Dazzler179
    1146 posts Professional
    28, Div 2, Gold 2.
  • pombo77
    70 posts Park Captain
    54 Div 4

I started playing WL this year since they lowered the amount of games to 30 and you could qualify by accumulating points from Div Rivals. Max I’ve done is Gold 3.

My reflexes are not the best and connection can be sucky at times but I keep at it. I enjoy improving my team. I’ve been playing only futbol video games and tennis since the 80’s. I used to play at the arcade called play land in Times Square for hours.

Nice thread.

• L1vingl1fe
    3074 posts National Call-Up

Elite 3

Div 2

Love skilling
  • Adrew
    228 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited August 26
    pombo77 wrote: »
    54 Div 4

I started playing WL this year since they lowered the amount of games to 30 and you could qualify by accumulating points from Div Rivals. Max I’ve done is Gold 3.

My reflexes are not the best and connection can be sucky at times but I keep at it. I enjoy improving my team. I’ve been playing only futbol video games and tennis since the 80’s. I used to play at the arcade called play land in Times Square for hours.

Nice thread.

div 4- gold 3 is quite decent for your age, I believe. As I am approaching 44, I think the older we are, the more composure and calm we have, but the reactions are slower.

Totally agreed with you that connection can be sucky, we all are much dependent on the connection, so in one WL with good connection I could go to Gold 1, but the next one with bad connection I could only barely make it to Gold 3.