Defence vs. Attack - why isn’t it balanced?

Benja190782
1272 posts Professional
edited August 25
Since FIFA 17 (I think) the manual defence was introduced in FIFA, but manual attacking is still missing as FIFA 20 is just a few weeks away.

Is there a reason why the defence and attack isn’t balanced in FIFA?

As the defending team you can literally tackle with your selected defender in any 360 degree angle, and move completely free with no assisted Lock On to the attacker at any point. No assists are helping you as a selected defender. (Which is all good)

As the attacking team you can literally pass and shoot with your selected attacker in any angle and still hit your target. I can aim at the crowd at the sideline, but still hit the goal.
Or I can aim a pass at my opponents defender, but still hit my own teammate.

Why is it that the attacking team needs assists, when the defending team doesn’t?

Why is it all people talk about the increased skill gap as defending is manually controlled, when people never mention how heavyly assisted the attacking play is?
I’m all in for manual defending, but I simply can’t stand how assisted the attacking play is in FIFA.
The worst part is.. most people feel actually good about being assisted... like WTF?
Atleast the standing tackle and slide tackles works in FIFA 20 now.

But why isn’t it balanced? I’m still waiting for EA to introduce the manual attacking as I thought they would do with FIFA 18.

What do you guys think about that?

Comments

• RobRokk
    51 posts Park Captain
    edited August 25
    What I have notice is that when I try to defend and go straight for the ball the game makes it so that Im not going straight for the ball but slightly to the side instead, some type of script Id guess, but giving the opponent player a huge advantage. Its like when the goal keeper shoots the out ball to you and the game moves your player towards the ball while its in the air, so stupid... Doesnt matter if I try to force control my player to go the other way, the game mechanics has taking control of my player for a short while... The example with defending is the other way though, my player is scripted into not be able to defend the way Im telling my player to do using my hand control... This is whats wrong with the game, your not really ever in control, game scripts are... Same goes for attacking though, if you have a low lvl char the game penalies you against higher lvl chars and no matter what you do with the hand control. Ive played fifa for about 5 years and its worse than ever in my experience... Just make everyone play on equal grounds, let us all be in total control without the game controlling anything at all (for or against us). That would truly show whos the good, bad and the ugly. Just saying!
    Post edited by RobRokk on
  • Diggy
    13618 posts Has That Special Something
    Defending is manual :joy:
  • Benja190782
    1272 posts Professional
    Diggy wrote: »
    Defending is manual :joy:

@Diggy Now you are talking about AI defending. Defending by your teammates which YOUR NOT in control of.
    I’m talking about the player you switch to as a defender. That’s the manual part.

There is no need to laugh tho - because the attacking players you are not in control of, (AI teammates) is also making runs etc. just like the defending team has AI teammates to cover space. It’s the same.

What’s definitely NOT the same, is the assists applied to the players we choose to control.

Therefore: defending is manual. Attacking is assisted.

That’s the main problem with FIFA. People rely on assists as they attack. Am I right?
  • JayyThunder
    4269 posts Big Money Move
    This is the worst argument and the dumbest. Yes I get it, attacking is assisted because of what you said, a little over exaggerated, but I get your point.

But saying there’s manual defending in fifa and how it makes the game “unbalanced” is a joke. First of all, manual defending was at its peak in Fifa 11 and in fifa 18 pre-patch. You can “manually” defend in ANY FIFA. The problem is, it’s not the most viable way to defend because EA has made it that the AI can do all the work for you with little user/manual input at all. On top of that, when people do “manually” defend. They just press one button and the game plays it for them.

I hate having this argument. When attacking, it’s YOUR decision to play a ground pass, through pass, shoot, skill move whatever. You can’t press one button and hold it and the game automatically attacks for you. Yes it helps with direction and stuff, but there’s more you have to do attacking-wise than the cpu. It’s completely opposite when defending. And if you don’t understand that then idk what else to tell you.
  • forearms
    4716 posts National Call-Up
    This is the worst argument and the dumbest. Yes I get it, attacking is assisted because of what you said, a little over exaggerated, but I get your point.

But saying there’s manual defending in fifa and how it makes the game “unbalanced” is a joke. First of all, manual defending was at its peak in Fifa 11 and in fifa 18 pre-patch. You can “manually” defend in ANY FIFA. The problem is, it’s not the most viable way to defend because EA has made it that the AI can do all the work for you with little user/manual input at all. On top of that, when people do “manually” defend. They just press one button and the game plays it for them.

I hate having this argument. When attacking, it’s YOUR decision to play a ground pass, through pass, shoot, skill move whatever. You can’t press one button and hold it and the game automatically attacks for you. Yes it helps with direction and stuff, but there’s more you have to do attacking-wise than the cpu. It’s completely opposite when defending. And if you don’t understand that then idk what else to tell you.

I agree with almost everything you said. I really like that you brought up 18 pre-patch. I believe that was the best version of FIFA i have played. They needed to tweak goalkeepers a bunch, but other than that it was near perfect.

Only correction that I have is that numerous times the CPU shoots for me. Happens a lot on rebounds, or crosses. It really should never happen.
  • JayyThunder
    4269 posts Big Money Move
    forearms wrote: »

I agree with almost everything you said. I really like that you brought up 18 pre-patch. I believe that was the best version of FIFA i have played. They needed to tweak goalkeepers a bunch, but other than that it was near perfect.

Only correction that I have is that numerous times the CPU shoots for me. Happens a lot on rebounds, or crosses. It really should never happen.

True. But it’s rare when that happens. It’s not an every game type of thing

• forearms
    4716 posts National Call-Up
    forearms wrote: »

True. But it’s rare when that happens. It’s not an every game type of thing

It shouldnt ever happen. Ever. That was my point.
  • mfmaxpower
    74 posts Park Captain
    FIFA prioritizes attacking play and skill moves above all else, so of course it's imbalanced. This for me is what I like most about PES compared with FIFA - it actually makes attacking play difficult and the game feels correctly balanced.

FIFA is built to cater to casuals who want easy and exciting attacking play. That's all there is to it really.
  • deang07
    8060 posts League Winner

spot on.
  • hooligan87
    235 posts Sunday League Hero
    Since FIFA 17 (I think) the manual defence was introduced in FIFA, but manual attacking is still missing as FIFA 20 is just a few weeks away.

Is there a reason why the defence and attack isn’t balanced in FIFA?

As the defending team you can literally tackle with your selected defender in any 360 degree angle, and move completely free with no assisted Lock On to the attacker at any point. No assists are helping you as a selected defender. (Which is all good)

As the attacking team you can literally pass and shoot with your selected attacker in any angle and still hit your target. I can aim at the crowd at the sideline, but still hit the goal.
    Or I can aim a pass at my opponents defender, but still hit my own teammate.

Why is it that the attacking team needs assists, when the defending team doesn’t?

Why is it all people talk about the increased skill gap as defending is manually controlled, when people never mention how heavyly assisted the attacking play is?
    I’m all in for manual defending, but I simply can’t stand how assisted the attacking play is in FIFA.
    The worst part is.. most people feel actually good about being assisted... like WTF?
    Atleast the standing tackle and slide tackles works in FIFA 20 now.

But why isn’t it balanced? I’m still waiting for EA to introduce the manual attacking as I thought they would do with FIFA 18.

What do you guys think about that?
    Absolutely agree! I laugh when a player hits the goal, when the defender is in front of him! And he complains that the defender auto-blocks the shot! He wants the computer to automatically score a goal, and he doesn't want the shot to be blocked! On manual control, you will rarely shoot when a defender is in front of you! You're always looking for space to shoot!