FIFA 20 - FAST VS SLOW GAMEPLAY DEBATE

Comments

• CeeQue
    10820 posts Has That Special Something
    Empyrium7 wrote: »
    CeeQue wrote: »
    What I hate at the start of the game are random bounces. Personally I like faster game play.

Can you explain why do you prefer fast gameplay ?

Maybe a placebo effect but it feels like games finish faster. I tried build up play at the start of this FIFA but since it got nerfed I just reverted back to spam wingers.
  • Empyrium7
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    What I hate at the start of the game are random bounces. Personally I like faster game play.

The random bounces happened alot less in the slow build of gameplay.

The fast build brought delay and unresponsive gameplay along with tackles bouncing back to the attacker and the keepers constantly rebounding the ball to the attacker for a tap in.

I would have always said I preferred fast gameplay but after playing a slow version and a fast version the slower version was alot more skilled and rewarding. There are other variables to take into consideration though like the delay and unresponsive gameplay and rebounds. If there was a faster version minus these then possibly faster gameplay would have been better but I can only go by what I played.

another important factor for a fast gameplay to be playable is nerfing passing assistant to the ground. spamming the passing button all over the place and still getting away with it is not acceptable in a football video game
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    11193 posts Has That Special Something

The fast build brought delay and unresponsive gameplay along with tackles bouncing back to the attacker and the keepers constantly rebounding the ball to the attacker for a tap in.

I would have always said I preferred fast gameplay but after playing a slow version and a fast version the slower version was alot more skilled and rewarding. There are other variables to take into consideration though like the delay and unresponsive gameplay and rebounds. If there was a faster version minus these then possibly faster gameplay would have been better but I can only go by what I played.

another important factor for a fast gameplay to be playable is nerfing passing assistant to the ground. spamming the passing button all over the place and still getting away with it is not acceptable in a football video game

It felt like the assisted passing had been nerfed quite alot in both builds to be fair there was definitely alot more error but nothing the moving of a slider wont fix when people complain because they can't blindly ping pong pass around the pitch.
  • Recoba
    3605 posts National Call-Up
    H2H slow. FUT fast.
  • Recoba
    H2H slow. FUT fast.
  • CeeQue
    10820 posts Has That Special Something

One thing annoyed me about the passing was who the player was suppose to receive the ball. Sometimes players would just hop over it or completely ignore it. You would be less than 5 yards and fools would just miss.
  • Empyrium7

It felt like the assisted passing had been nerfed quite alot in both builds to be fair there was definitely alot more error but nothing the moving of a slider wont fix when people complain because they can't blindly ping pong pass around the pitch.

I didn't feel any difference tbh in passing assistant. players still able to do 180 passes and laser driven passes from CBs to Sts
    Recoba wrote: »
    H2H slow. FUT fast.

why do you want FUT to be fast ? players in FUT already have boosted stats

One thing annoyed me about the passing was who the player was suppose to receive the ball. Sometimes players would just hop over it or completely ignore it. You would be less than 5 yards and fools would just miss.

It happened to me once or twice. it felt that the player wasn't locked to the ball. I don't know what triggers that to happen
  • Empyrium7

Can you explain why do you prefer fast gameplay ?

Maybe a placebo effect but it feels like games finish faster. I tried build up play at the start of this FIFA but since it got nerfed I just reverted back to spam wingers.

FIFA 19 didn't encourage slow build up and creating spaces.
    it encouraged ping pong passes and past build up which reduces the skill gap
  • Recoba
    @Empyrium7

We need to have the two options. FUT has always been fast. I think 19 speed is on point.
  • Empyrium7
    Recoba wrote: »
    @Empyrium7

We need to have the two options. FUT has always been fast. I think 19 speed is on point.

I think it too fast tbh - ping pong passing is way too OP

but I don't care about FUT if it was fast. this was my first and last year playing FUT. if I want to play FIFA again it will be online seasons just as a chill mode
  • Pieman25
    15987 posts World Class
    edited August 23
    madwullie wrote: »
    The slow build was miles more enjoyable than the faster build. I only ended up playing a handful of games after the patch because it was just fifa 19.0001. Regretted my preorder after that dropped. Much preferred the thinking game, slow build up then speeding it up in the last 20 yards with soem fast incisive passing.

Second build was just 100mph madness, fastest player won, tackles bouncing back etc.

Maybe I should just play PES 🤷‍♂️

Same here but we aren't pros so it won't matter what we think @madwullie
  • Stfc98
    124 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Fast gameplay = higher skill gap and would be more fun even with being possesion based player I loved fast game as my reactions are good ,Like I can tell my reactions are good as I'm genetically gifted there.

On csgo I could still got my fast flicks and other fast games I'm still there.

For me fast = skill and many agreed this according to pro analyses.

Slow means more bad gameplay in delay and less room for reaction skill ,some people are just born slow and can't help it no matter what do they will want a slow game .

Now to me 17 and 18 had best reaction based game as turning was smooth and dribbling and passing and defence off ball was not easy like 19 and 20 of the delay stays.

Weird flex
    Reaction time is important indeed. But not the most important aspect of a football video game.

I don't know why people think that if someone asked for a slower gameplay that means they don't have a fast reaction time. We just need a realistic feel of the game

Fgs I wanted to be the guy to say weird flex
    Definitely weird flex though
  • madwullie
    4169 posts National Call-Up
    Genuinely gutted by the developments. The first build was a lot of fun and scoring felt as rewarding as it ever has for me in fifa. So much potential.

Only hope is that with the starter cards it's slowed down enough that at least the defending is as rewarding for playing manually as it was prepatch. I only tried the second build after the 36 top player pack
  • zeultuturor
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited August 23
    slow gameplay:
    more options
    no option will actually work and the game will feel retardrd
    pretty much one kick off and time waste the rest of the game
    not fun, nor challenging. the game would die in 2 months

fast gameplay:
    less or no options so higher skill ceiling if no first time shots
    harder to time waste
    6 minutes half so you can actually create something
    actually fun and challenging

how did you decide thet no option will actually work ?
    why do you think players play to waste time ?
    the solution of time wasting is to nerf the passing assistant.
    what do you mean no fun ? is it more fun to watch the same attacks over and over again ?

slow gameplay won't ever work in a 6 minute half. just go ahead and play real football if you want. if you do, you'll probably notice a difference between fifa and real life.

also passes should be assisted, there is no skill gap in powering a pass in defense. if it's easy in real life, it should be even easier in the game. passing a ball is actually not that easy in fifa because the receivers are ****.

i don't think that players would waste time, that's exactly what would happen and there are some people already that can waste 45 minutes a half just by passing from gk to cb header to gk.

also, there are not the same attacks over and over again unless you are one of the double digit iq kids that tornado cross to scrap a gold 3
  • Empyrium7
    slow gameplay:
    more options
    no option will actually work and the game will feel retardrd
    pretty much one kick off and time waste the rest of the game
    not fun, nor challenging. the game would die in 2 months

fast gameplay:
    less or no options so higher skill ceiling if no first time shots
    harder to time waste
    6 minutes half so you can actually create something
    actually fun and challenging

how did you decide thet no option will actually work ?
    why do you think players play to waste time ?
    the solution of time wasting is to nerf the passing assistant.
    what do you mean no fun ? is it more fun to watch the same attacks over and over again ?

slow gameplay won't ever work in a 6 minute half. just go ahead and play real football if you want. if you do, you'll probably notice a difference between fifa and real life.

also passes should be assisted, there is no skill gap in powering a pass in defense. if it's easy in real life, it should be even easier in the game. passing a ball is actually not that easy in fifa because the receivers are ****.

i don't think that players would waste time, that's exactly what would happen and there are some people already that can waste 45 minutes a half just by passing from gk to cb header to gk.

also, there are not the same attacks over and over again unless you are one of the double digit iq kids that tornado cross to scrap a gold 3

Ok buddy
  • Empyrium7
    edited August 23
    Genuinely gutted by the developments. The first build was a lot of fun and scoring felt as rewarding as it ever has for me in fifa. So much potential.

Only hope is that with the starter cards it's slowed down enough that at least the defending is as rewarding for playing manually as it was prepatch. I only tried the second build after the 36 top player pack

A lot of people cried in the Beta forum that it was too slow and they can't ping pong anymore
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    FIFA needs to be fast-paced or bust. That said, I'm against excessive mindless ping-pong passing and 'random' shots. Something like FIFA 16 passing coupled with smooth FIFA 15 dribbling and safe FIFA 18 finishing would be healthy for the game.
  • Empyrium7
    FIFA needs to be fast-paced or bust. That said, I'm against excessive mindless ping-pong passing and 'random' shots. Something like FIFA 16 passing coupled with smooth FIFA 15 dribbling and safe FIFA 18 finishing would be healthy for the game.

It doesn't need to be fast though. I'm ok with fast gameplay if the passing assistant and first time shots will be nerfed. But still prefer a slower gameplay
  • madwullie

A lot of people cried in the Beta forum that it was too slow and they can't ping pong anymore

Yeah I saw that. Had a bit of a family crisis which meant I was really active for the first week or so then didn't have the time to play anymore. Tbh there was a decent split on the forum with a fair few people wanting it slower.

Only problem is, EA are only really interested in the feedback in the beta forums in terms of bugs etc. They consulted the pros etc by all accounts and the second build imo gave us all we needed to know regarding which direction they want the game to go in.
  • Empyrium7

Yeah I saw that. Had a bit of a family crisis which meant I was really active for the first week or so then didn't have the time to play anymore. Tbh there was a decent split on the forum with a fair few people wanting it slower.

Only problem is, EA are only really interested in the feedback in the beta forums in terms of bugs etc. They consulted the pros etc by all accounts and the second build imo gave us all we needed to know regarding which direction they want the game to go in.

You are right, but the majority asked for a faster game. Pros are good in video games in general and their reaction time is crazy. So for their own good they wanted a fast gameplay regardless of how it's related to actual football. They just want to play a game.
    The first build had a lot of potential and really felt that the game might be good. 2nd build destroyed all these hopes
  • Orison
    47764 posts FIFA Cover Star
    You forgot the con of slow gameplay being awfully boring to play.

And for me a lot more things than just passing play into fast gameplay. You can pass as quickly as you want, spam your X/A button until it falls out, fifa 19 will still remain an awfully slow game.

Dribbling needs to be so much better than it is. Attackers shouldn’t slow down to snails pace to let defenders catch up. If dribbling was better you could actually use it and time your turns. Now there is nothing to do apart from doing a la croqueta or pass the ball off. You simply can't turn with the player.

In an even slower game this would only get amplified, because quick turning would require quick actions (also from the defender) and would automatically increase gameplay speed. Dribbling would be completely dead in a slower game and considering we are still looking at a videogame I much prefer a quicker game over one that requires you to hold possession and pass back and forth, because it's too slow to move around.
  • Empyrium7
    Orison wrote: »

And for me a lot more things than just passing play into fast gameplay. You can pass as quickly as you want, spam your X/A button until it falls out, fifa 19 will still remain an awfully slow game.

Dribbling needs to be so much better than it is. Attackers shouldn’t slow down to snails pace to let defenders catch up. If dribbling was better you could actually use it and time your turns. Now there is nothing to do apart from doing a la croqueta or pass the ball off. You simply can't turn with the player.

In an even slower game this would only get amplified, because quick turning would require quick actions (also from the defender) and would automatically increase gameplay speed. Dribbling would be completely dead in a slower game and considering we are still looking at a videogame I much prefer a quicker game over one that requires you to hold possession and pass back and forth, because it's too slow to move around.

I'm with you with increasing the success rate of LS dribbling. We should be able to dribble against defenders. You can still do that in a slower gameplay. But the punishment for unsuccessful tackles should be higher and defenders shouldn't catch up with you after a missed tackle.
  • madwullie
    Totally agree re the dribbling, especially with the overpowered contain. Players (especially those who are not elite) are forced into repetitive passing moves and op manoeuvres (call them exploits if you like) because there are very few ways to actually beat a man without using these. Improved dribbling in general would be good for the game, but EA seem scared to allow any prospect of rugby scores so hand hold to an unnecessary level in defence.

Dont know if you played the beta @Orison but pacey players were much faster bursting through the defensive line. It concerns me actually that we could be reverting for another year to pace being king, and all other stats being immaterial.
  • Benja190782
    1314 posts Professional
    edited August 23
    The fact that we are playing a football game. More important skills as a fifa player should be: Tactical awareness, Vision/Composure, and basic football knowledge, then reactions.

Because all those people that today rely their game on fast reactions, (which normally means frantic ping pong passing followed by a blind first time shot) is literally just assisted into thinking they are good at the game. Take the passing/shooting assists away from them, and they don’t know how to score. Why?

Because FIFA has been learning humans to play unrealistic ping pong ball for more than a decade.
    And now they think that’s how football works...

Another thing that people gets confused about is when I say I love slow gameplay, because of the authentic/realistic football experience. It doesn’t mean I like lag or unresponsive player movements.
    Or the fact that Chris Smalling is faster than Mané most of the time. I don’t like it. Who does?

Remove the assists in attack (passing/shooting) and let the defending be manual as now. Keep the gameplay speed at normal and lets play some good football.
  • madwullie
    edited August 23
    There seems to be an argument that the only skill gap worth having is fast games where you have to think quickly and have lightning fingers to pull **** off. Pros are the best in the game at that so it's clear why they'd push for that style of gameplay. They have a vested interest in it being tailored to their particular skill set. That doesn't mean it suits the majority of us in div 3 div 2 and hitting gold 1 in WL. It just leads to people frantically trying to emulate what others more skilled than them can do, and falling back on exploits when they inevitably fail.

Thing is when it's slowed down, there are a number of ways that there can be a skillgap - breaking down, picking passes, taking time to call runs, even dare I say it a bit of left stick dribbling. Manual defending and breaking from the back. A tactical game is extremely viable. Up the pace too much and all you have is a competition to see who is faster at pressing the same 4 or 5 button combinations, tackles start bouncing back, ridiculous panicked shots struck because its too fast to think of anything else, keeper parries, rebound goal. That was my experience of the speeded up beta, both against players who were better than me and those I was better than. A frantic out of control button mashing competition with boosted AI defending and Kante jockeying the width of the park . Gutting
  • Benja190782
    1314 posts Professional
    Btw could @EA_Andy please move this thread to the FIFA 20 section. I think it belongs over there.
  • madwullie
    I mean at the end of the beta the best way to defend with your CBs was not to touch them.

Surely to god this isn't what anyone wants
  • madwullie
    Orison wrote: »

A slow game doesn't necessarily mean that fast defenders can't break through. Sure, they're slow, but the defender chasing them is also slow relative to the attackers speed, so the attacker still. Breaks through
  • 3MenandaBebe
    2315 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lol you guys are funny.

The best teams plays extraordinarily quickly. Man City. Liverpool. Barcelona. 1 touch passing, great movement. first time finishes.

Most teams are not great teams. And they play slower football. It’s why they aren’t top teams

Almost everyone in this thread is a terrible Fifa player who wants a slower game so your slower brains can think. awww.
  • Empyrium7
    Lol you guys are funny.

The best teams plays extraordinarily quickly. Man City. Liverpool. Barcelona. 1 touch passing, great movement. first time finishes.

Most teams are not great teams. And they play slower football. It’s why they aren’t top teams

Almost everyone in this thread is a terrible Fifa player who wants a slower game so your slower brains can think. awww.

How old are you ?