First FIFA 20 Gameplay

Hi all, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on the FIFA 20 gameplay that we got to see during yesterday’s Twitch stream.

I really like that FIFA is aiming to have a slower paced game this year. This is something I’ve wished for since maybe FIFA 18. In previous versions of FIFA, it’s very hectic. Players are constantly running around, the ball moves too fast when passing—I could go on, we all know about these issues and the problems they create. Having a slower paced game gets us closer to a realistic style of football, where we have space to work with and a bit more time to make decisions. I totally understand why a lot of players don’t like this, realism doesn’t matter so much and you just wanna score goals haha and that’s fine. You’re in full control of how you want to play. In the stream yesterday, I think the four guys that were playing knew the time in game was set at (maybe?) 5 minutes or so, so it was gonna go by fast. They know tons of people are watching, so they are going to try and score as many goals as they can. I think that kind of threw off the gameplay because you could tell they weren’t really taking their time to score and show off the realism. With that said, I think those who mainly play FUT and Pro Clubs shouldn’t be worried about the pace at all. It looks like you’ll still be able to play fast, you might just have to be smarter with your decisions this year.

In general, I think a slower pace is going to benefit those who want to play a game that is similar to what they see in real life, which I think is much needed in the FIFA franchise. I kind of rambled here, but these were just some of my general thoughts waking up this morning haha. I’ll be happy to elaborate more in the replies and see what anyone else thinks. I honestly think this could be the most fun and enjoyable FIFA yet, but of course we will have to see once it launches.

Comments

• hooligan87
    230 posts Sunday League Hero
    People who don't understand football will start crying that the pace is very slow with the first patch pace will increase.. And this will spoil the whole game!
  • Druski5150
    239 posts Sunday League Hero
    Problem is that while EA claim that they are slowing the pace which I am all for, the game play stream looked like the pace was just as fast as past years if not faster. I hope I am wrong but I am not holding my breath about the game being slow enough. And as the person above me said, even if it is slow enough, people will cry and it will get patched over.
  • hooligan87 wrote: »
    People who don't understand football will start crying that the pace is very slow with the first patch pace will increase.. And this will spoil the whole game!

Totally agree man, that’s what I fear will happen this year. I think so many people like to play an arcade style, so they’ll win over. However, it does seem that for the first time the people at EA are trying to make the slower pace a focal point of the gameplay, so hopefully they stay with it and don’t tamper with it much. I’ve always said it would help to see a gameplay video that’s maybe CPU vs CPU in kickoff, and then have two game changers play a FUT match. I would love to see another gameplay video at some point that shows off the realism.

• Druski5150 wrote: »
    Problem is that while EA claim that they are slowing the pace which I am all for, the game play stream looked like the pace was just as fast as past years if not faster. I hope I am wrong but I am not holding my breath about the game being slow enough. And as the person above me said, even if it is slow enough, people will cry and it will get patched over.

Yea, the more I watched the gameplay it started to look as fast as FIFA 19. It does seem that EA is making the slower paced play a priority this year, and they’ll try not to mess with it too much. Online gameplay (in almost any video game) plays different than regular gameplay. Online is typically faster, and I think that’ll still be the case in FUT. If it ever gets patched over, EA will be going back to FIFA 19 in a way and that is definitely not the direction they need to be going in.
  • GARYNOCLUB
    81 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I don’t care about pace of the game. I just want the realism that if I’m put through on goal and I’m 90 pace. I don’t want Harry maguire or James tarkowski catching me up a break away is just that. And also when you see counter attacks in real football defenders are out of position and don’t get back, that’s the whole point of a breakaway. To me on first view it looks like a lot of body contact physical, and looked narrow and inclosed.
  • GARYNOCLUB wrote: »
    I don’t care about pace of the game. I just want the realism that if I’m put through on goal and I’m 90 pace. I don’t want Harry maguire or James tarkowski catching me up a break away is just that. And also when you see counter attacks in real football defenders are out of position and don’t get back, that’s the whole point of a breakaway. To me on first view it looks like a lot of body contact physical, and looked narrow and inclosed.

I’m with you there, man. That is definitely something I hope is there in game as much as they say it is. I’m not sure if you’ve seen it, but reading your comment I thought about what could’ve been Miguel Almiron’s first goal at Newcastle. Received the ball through, right ahead of the last defender and just continued to get away with his pace. Chipped the GK, but hit the left post. It’s those situations I’d like to see more of in FIFA especially with those 90 pace players, if the defenders make a mistake and are out of position. And I agree with the narrow feeling, then again it could’ve been just how the guys were playing, they were crowding each other sooo much.

• V10Unit
    64 posts Park Captain
    Devaughn09 wrote: »
    Druski5150 wrote: »

Yea, the more I watched the gameplay it started to look as fast as FIFA 19. It does seem that EA is making the slower paced play a priority this year, and they’ll try not to mess with it too much. Online gameplay (in almost any video game) plays different than regular gameplay. Online is typically faster, and I think that’ll still be the case in FUT. If it ever gets patched over, EA will be going back to FIFA 19 in a way and that is definitely not the direction they need to be going in.

Agreed, it did not seem slow at all. On the other hand, PES is so slow that it gets boring. I think we as players of these games try to speed up the way we wish the game should be in real life. We dont like to waste time especially since the clock is not based on real game time. Its all in our heads my friends.
  • V10Unit wrote: »
    Devaughn09 wrote: »
    Druski5150 wrote: »

Agreed, it did not seem slow at all. On the other hand, PES is so slow that it gets boring. I think we as players of these games try to speed up the way we wish the game should be in real life. We dont like to waste time especially since the clock is not based on real game time. Its all in our heads my friends.

Exactly man! Yea and to me, there are other little flaws PES has that leads me to play more of FIFA. But you are absolutely right, we all try to play how we think the game should be played as we all see it differently. It’ll really just come down to playing the demo (and the Beta for those that get the opportunity) and going from there. This is one of the reasons why I’ve always believed that FIFA should look into releasing the demo much earlier than 1-2 weeks before launch.

• Navraat
    3114 posts National Call-Up
    That was h2h gameplay, FUT will always be faster
  • Gazhunt1981
    184 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Looks absolutely shocking no effort whatsoever has gone into it ...its a no from me
  • Look at the nets! Same awful!
  • QuidoFrontiere
    221 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Navraat wrote: »
    That was h2h gameplay, FUT will always be faster

That really scares me bcs speed on video is the same as fut now with tots for me.

• Massikiller
    74 posts Park Captain
    hooligan87 wrote: »

funny thing, how many times in the past, let's say, 10 years have you heard EA saying they would speed up the pace, of the game? Now think about how many times they said the game will have slower pace.
    To be honest I don't remember ever saying they would speed up the pace, however on the other hand, every single year they say the pace will be slower.
    So I wonder, how does it come that we are still not playing a slow motion game?? :blush:
  • Julian999
    5 posts Ball Boy
    edited August 8
    What's stopping you devs from adding new on ball and off ball animations?Pes has billions of animations.Wish you do that before the full game comes out
  • Any news on EA and Nike partnership.Because FIFA 20 has the old boots from FIFA 19 and I can't deal with that...
  • Iam just glad kick off goals are there <3