Should EA add the option to filter out bad connections like in PES2020?

Comments

• Navraat
    3668 posts National Call-Up
    No
    I play on wifi so no from me but would be cool to have <ping preferences
  • Orison
    54834 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    No
    I'm still waiting for someone to prove that your game gets affected by your opponent's con.

For me it's either bad every game, because the servers are tripping (usually around 6pm on Friday and saturday for example) or it's ok every game.
  • Pablofsi08
    460 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited August 2019
    Yes
    Orison wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for someone to prove that your game gets affected by your opponent's con.

For me it's either bad every game, because the servers are tripping (usually around 6pm on Friday and saturday for example) or it's ok every game.

1. Variable delay depending on the opponent's location
    2. Variable delay every time someone lags hard and clogs the server purposely or not (it's performance/total bandwidth is affected)
    3. Several users also playing on the same server further reducing it's available performance/bandwidth
    4. Peak hour delay (no it's not the same as point 3, one's within the limits it can manage, the latter is an extreme effect on it)
    5. Bad configurations on the servers or misconceived patches causing certain types of users' connections to diminish the server's performance in certain ways to compensate for them
    6. Same as point 1 but for lag
    7. Same as point 2 but for lag

With a P2P netcode in place + a numerical latency indicator + punishments with disconnections to people who have an unstable connection + reconnect feature + matchmaking based on lowest latency I would be able to choose my rivals and never have any of those issues.

P2P > Servers.
  • FatZed
    897 posts Semi-Pro
    Yes

Either way the opponents connection and/or servers affect your own connection/ gameplay and its clear as day there are games, quite frequently and for some way more than should be the case that you are at a massive disadvantage compared to who you are playing. Shouldn't be the case, at least not to the extent it is...especially in a competitive mode - which is basically giving people free wins its that bad!

Regardless something is wrong with the game big time, the way the connections and servers work. As with others seems the worse your connection the better it plays. I moved house and tried wired numerous times from the router, for whatever reason plays worse than Wi-Fi. Yes the router is close so strong/ great connection but why is wired worse and less reliable..

For me personally on both P2P and Dedicated I get about the same amount of inconsistency and delay, one sided gameplay etc... the in game performance seems completely unrelated to my connections mostly (talking latency, ping, packet loss etc). Internet can be poor (packet loss, torrents or Netflix for example - not that I do this) and ill get decent gameplay, internet can be great and I will get terrible gameplay?! even when servers shouldn't be overloaded and local networks uncongested.
  • Pablofsi08
    460 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yes
    FatZed wrote: »

Either way the opponents connection and/or servers affect your own connection/ gameplay and its clear as day there are games, quite frequently and for some way more than should be the case that you are at a massive disadvantage compared to who you are playing. Shouldn't be the case, at least not to the extent it is...especially in a competitive mode - which is basically giving people free wins its that bad!

Regardless something is wrong with the game big time, the way the connections and servers work. As with others seems the worse your connection the better it plays. I moved house and tried wired numerous times from the router, for whatever reason plays worse than Wi-Fi. Yes the router is close so strong/ great connection but why is wired worse and less reliable..

For me personally on both P2P and Dedicated I get about the same amount of inconsistency and delay, one sided gameplay etc... the in game performance seems completely unrelated to my connections mostly (talking latency, ping, packet loss etc). Internet can be poor (packet loss, torrents or Netflix for example - not that I do this) and ill get decent gameplay, internet can be great and I will get terrible gameplay?! even when servers shouldn't be overloaded and local networks uncongested.

But both netcodes do not perform the same way when everything is fine. Your case seems to be a congestion or ports blocked issue. Under normal conditions obviously you will get smooth gameplay and less delay. If EA touched something on the back side of their supposed optimizations that amount for something you can't make an opinion on netcode based on their errors. P2P works by sending AND receiving data at the same time, with no extra hop in between you and you rival, and that cuts delay in half. The potential is there for when EA puts it in and your wired connection is fine. That's how it works and it's a superior model, data only having to make one trip instead of two. It's science.