Should EA add the option to filter out bad connections like in PES2020?

Comments

• Springveldt
    4831 posts National Call-Up
    Yes
    I want them to just show the ping (in ms not meaningless bars) of both players before the match starts.
    This one is a given. We need a proper netgraph to the server, at least help us help ourselves.
  • JURITO1000
    1662 posts Play-Off Hero
    Do you know that setting in Pes is just placebo?

I have filter for only good connection and im playing on 4G and have never problem. But yesterday i played against somebody and it was crazy laggy. I left in half time because it was unplayable.
  • Pablofsi08
    460 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yes
    JURITO1000 wrote: »

I have filter for only good connection and im playing on 4G and have never problem. But yesterday i played against somebody and it was crazy laggy. I left in half time because it was unplayable.

1. One match doesn't mean a whole system is wrong, it's obviously expected to encounter someone that has major lag.
    2. PES has other issues, such as way less people playing.
  • tworaf
    409 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yes
    JURITO1000 wrote: »

if you played a little more the game would have ended telling you that your opponent connection is detoriorated therefor it was cancelled.
  • CharlieC
    7381 posts Big Money Move
    Yes
    Anyone who votes no needs their bumps feeling
  • Pocketsquareguy
    6215 posts Big Money Move
    Yes
    I use Wi-fi but normally have flawless connection

You have a flawless connection because they’re balancing the other persons connection to match yours. And you likely come out on the better end of that. I’ve recently switched from a fantastic connection to WiFi far away from my router. A bad connection. My gameplay is sooooo much better.
  • Pooter
    4802 posts Big Money Move
    Yes
    This should done at the start of the game, no ifs and buts, if you are having a bad connection, whether on purpose or not, they shouldn't be in the game. There are some people who are deliberately lagging their connection to try get an advantage over everyone else.
    This is a game where you're suppose to be having fun, not cheating, or in one or two instances in my case, trying to cheat
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes
    Pooter wrote: »
    This should done at the start of the game, no ifs and buts, if you are having a bad connection, whether on purpose or not, they shouldn't be in the game. There are some people who are deliberately lagging their connection to try get an advantage over everyone else.
    This is a game where you're suppose to be having fun, not cheating, or in one or two instances in my case, trying to cheat

I completely agree. But believe me, this and any minor optimizations EA do with their telemetry or whatever will never be enough to remove the fantastic delay we suffer now. We need an actual change and the only way to cut the delay we ALL have now in half with a knife is the P2P option.

This suggestion is just a complement to a different netcode we need and everything, this matchmaking change, punishments against people who start lagging on purpose, reconnect feature, latency indicator, all are a circuit that completes and should work along P2P netcode, that and only that solves the delay issue.

EA, develop a way to mask people's IPs coming from Fifa to windows or some other way to do it, so that you can give us full P2P as an option.
  • bberger
    5175 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 2019
    Yes
    Pablofsi08 wrote: »

I completely agree. But believe me, this and any minor optimizations EA do with their telemetry or whatever will never be enough to remove the fantastic delay we suffer now. We need an actual change and the only way to cut the delay we ALL have now in half with a knife is the P2P option.

This suggestion is just a complement to a different netcode we need and everything, this matchmaking change, punishments against people who start lagging on purpose, reconnect feature, latency indicator, all are a circuit that completes and should work along P2P netcode, that and only that solves the delay issue.

EA, develop a way to mask people's IPs coming from Fifa to windows or some other way to do it, so that you can give us full P2P as an option.

The only option that comes to my mind would be sth like a VPN type system as it needs to happen between both WANs.. But then again you'll have to have some sort of servers in the middle which immediately kills that idea.
  • Pablofsi08
    edited August 2019
    Yes
    bberger wrote: »

The only option that comes to my mind would be sth like a VPN type system as it needs to happen between both WANs.. But then again you'll have to have some sort of servers in the middle which immediately kills that idea.

Exactly, any type of middleman is what is going to cause this severe delay we have. But I've seen some devs discussing how and they threw the idea I mentioned before but I don't know if they made any advance.
  • bberger
    5175 posts Big Money Move
    Yes

Exactly, any type of middleman is what is going to cause this severe delay we have. But I've seen some devs discussing how and they threw the idea I mentioned before but I don't know if they made any advance.

I don't think there should be any reason to mask the IP whatsoever..

They just need to add an option "anonomize IP: yes/no (caution: could potentially add input delay and lag!)" and route the traffic through their ❤️❤️❤️❤️ AWS servers..
  • Mogga
    1292 posts Professional
    No
    Just don't have me playing on a server thousands of miles away.

I have configured various set ups in the last month or so. Hard wired was the worst so I'm back on wireless now and it's been ok tbf.

If people matched up with opponents and servers that were relatively close, it should be ok shouldn't it ?
  • Seanregal
    1196 posts Professional
    No
    I voted no i have mine wired and on good broadband but i also realise I'm fortunate to have this. I don't think we should punish players who don't have good connections sometimes through no fault of their own.
  • tworaf
    Yes
    Servers are great if they actually invest in more locations but the way how they are all placed in frankfurt, amesterdam, uk and ireland is so so dumb. these 4 locations are literally next to each other. to cover the entire europe they need servers in spain, france, italy and greece/turkey.

even the current setup is not that bad if thy remove the huge lag compensation feom the netcode. in the week it was disabled in the last update I had the best gameplay ever. there was minimal delay and my team felt responsive and reactive. but people who live faraway from servers or with bad internet setups for gaming suffered from massive speed up lag...
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes

Exactly, but I've seen some devs discussing how and they threw the idea I mentioned before but I don't know if they made any advance.

I don't think there should be any reason to mask the IP whatsoever..

They just need to add an option "anonomize IP: yes/no (caution: could potentially add input delay and lag!)" and route the traffic through their **** AWS servers..

I mean from Windows itself where the DoS kiddies get the IP from. Of course masking it from the receiver would increase delay.
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes
    Mogga wrote: »

I have configured various set ups in the last month or so. Hard wired was the worst so I'm back on wireless now and it's been ok tbf.

If people matched up with opponents and servers that were relatively close, it should be ok shouldn't it ?

Yes but that will never happen because EA cannot place servers themselves in every country on Earth. The only way for everyone to connect locally to the lowest latency players possible is to bring P2P.
  • tworaf
    Yes

Yes but that will never happen because EA cannot place servers themselves in every country on Earth. The only way for everyone to connect locally to the lowest latency players possible is to bring P2P.

We had lag in p2p too. you dont remember p2p online seasons in fifa 18? it was the same lag fest. the netcode ia horrendus, the netcode is designed to mask lag and not punish poeple with bad internet. p2p or servers, this netcode need to go...
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes
    tworaf wrote: »

We had lag in p2p too. you dont remember p2p online seasons in fifa 18? it was the same lag fest. the netcode ia horrendus, the netcode is designed to mask lag and not punish poeple with bad internet. p2p or servers, this netcode need to go...

Because matchmaking was based on geographical closeness, when it should based on lowest latency. Btw P2P is the only way you will ever feel close to offline delay.
  • tworaf
    edited August 2019
    Yes

Because matchmaking was based on geographical closeness, when it should based on lowest latency. Btw P2P is the only way you will ever feel close to offline delay.

but It showed 5 bars ping and the game was still laggy. hell my mate lives 2km away from me and we use the same isp. there is like 15ms ping between us and in online friendlies the game is still delayed.

I know p2p is better when both players have low ping to each other and a stable connection but this game netcode have something wrong in it.

• Nodge86
    2248 posts Fans' Favourite
    No
    This would mean one less excuse for people that think they’re good at the game, if only it wasn’t connection/skills/crosses/EA/passing/insert any other.
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes

but It showed 5 bars ping and the game was still laggy. hell my mate lives 2km away from me and we use the same isp. there is like 15ms ping between us and in online friendlies the game is still delayed.

I know p2p is better when both players have low ping to each other and a stable connection but this game netcode have something wrong in it.

I dunno, but that sounds like the issue is on one of the ends.
  • NornIron
    13696 posts Has That Special Something
    Yes
    Should only really be a ping reading ''number'' but won't happen because EA know something else is wrong with FIFA.

Imagine getting a reading of say 10ms and having unplayable gameplay EA would actually have to fix it.
  • Orison
    54823 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    No
    NornIron wrote: »
    Should only really be a ping reading ''number'' but won't happen because EA know something else is wrong with FIFA.

Imagine getting a reading of say 10ms and having unplayable gameplay EA would actually have to fix it.

Why is that? That's the same with it being 5 bars and feeling bad? The bars are just a visual representation of latency. When it changed from 4 to 5 bars they explained the ping attached to each bar and iirc 5 bars was pretty low, like 1-25ms or so and yet it doesn't really mean too much.
  • FatZed
    897 posts Semi-Pro
    Yes
    I want them to just show the ping (in ms not meaningless bars) of both players before the match starts.
    This one is a given. We need a proper netgraph to the server, at least help us help ourselves.

Although I am all for showing ping sadly I don't think it will do much. For example on my Nighthawk router where it shows ping direct to the opponent I could have super low ping/ latency etc and still get terrible gameplay. Sure it will help in some cases plus for us to filter and not play games but there is so much inconsistency and variables which determine how the game plays that 1 reading for a connection kinda means nothing
  • SuperRob
    1643 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited August 2019
    I get delay in fut champs and rivals but also in online singles and draft. Is this likely to be the lag comp in all cases or is it possible its something to do with my setup / isp. I am always hard wired with low latency if that helps.
  • Pablofsi08
    Yes
    FatZed wrote: »

Although I am all for showing ping sadly I don't think it will do much. For example on my Nighthawk router where it shows ping direct to the opponent I could have super low ping/ latency etc and still get terrible gameplay. Sure it will help in some cases plus for us to filter and not play games but there is so much inconsistency and variables which determine how the game plays that 1 reading for a connection kinda means nothing

Lag should be prevented through player punishments. P2P would ensure you get low delay under a low latency. Servers cannot guarantee that you get low delay on low latency because being a middle man, it has it's own temporary or constant issues. P2P puts the blame entirely on the players so if something goes wrong it's them.
  • Invincibility
    4653 posts National Call-Up
    No
    What's the point..
  • Kouli06
    1628 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yes
    This would be a dream come true!
    A lot more games need to have options like this.
    It use to be every online mode/game use to let you pick regions and tweak other bits to make sure you got the best connection possible, but now hardly any games give you the options.
    You’d think that with technology now you could be so specific in your settings that would never have lag again!
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    Yes
    I've been really impressed with how good the connection has been in PES, while searching for a stable connection. This is the norm nowadays for the majority of 1 vs 1 games, you're allowed to choose your opponent based on connection quality.

I shouldn't be forced to play against an opponent who is using an unstable wi-fi connection. I make sure everything is good on my end, but my experience is ruined by my opponents poor connection. Poor connections should be forced to play against other poor connections, vice versa.
  • SuperRob
    1643 posts Play-Off Hero
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I've been really impressed with how good the connection has been in PES, while searching for a stable connection. This is the norm nowadays for the majority of 1 vs 1 games, you're allowed to choose your opponent based on connection quality.

I shouldn't be forced to play against an opponent who is using an unstable wi-fi connection. I make sure everything is good on my end, but my experience is ruined by my opponents poor connection. Poor connections should be forced to play against other poor connections, vice versa.

Spot on, there needs to be an incentive for people to have a good setup, and a punishment for those that cant be bothered to have a good setup. The days of the bad connection effecting the good connection need to finish