• JWNYsg
    585 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Dybala wanting not to play in UCL? Thought only Alexis would do that
  • Ishibum
    12156 posts Has That Special Something
    Retro_G wrote: »
    ASHERLAUYY wrote: »
    Pushing for 2nd is a bit much.

Don't underestimate VAR, the amount of points Liverpool got last season from dodgy decisions was ridiculous.

I'm no fan of Liverpool but Man U fans cannot moan about refereeing decisions given some of the nonsense we have all seen over the years :lol: .

• ASHERLAUYY
    739 posts Semi-Pro

Don't underestimate VAR, the amount of points Liverpool got last season from dodgy decisions was ridiculous.

There are 3 teams that are clearly better than you with better more accomplished mangers. VAR isn't suddenly going to compensate for that. All in all it's progress, but pushing for second is a massive stretch.

Better on paper at the moment, but let's see how this window goes. We finished second two seasons ago, if we bring in another few good signings and anything is possible.

Things can change quickly in football. Liverpool regressed in the league two seasons ago, but a good transfer window saw them put up a title challenge, albeit with lots of dodgy decisions.

Ole knows what he is doing, has us playing a distinct way of football. Undefeated in pre-season, revving to go this season. Watch this space!

Paper means f all you know this, city liverpool and spurs are running back pretty much the same teams as last year, which were way better than you.

You've got to Integrate several new pieces into an already poor 'top' team. And its very rare for South Americans to hit the ground running in the prem, I don't see dybala bucking the trend unless you play 4231 (which seems possible)
  • limjitwe
    6690 posts Big Money Move
    JWNYsg wrote: »
    Dybala wanting not to play in UCL? Thought only Alexis would do that

There’s still a lure to play for Man U. To star and bring the club up. Plus he will definitely get more exposure if he does well.

Also it’s Not like he’s flushed with options from other big clubs I guess.
  • Safehands84
    3314 posts National Call-Up
    On paper we are getting the better . However south American players rarely settle in England, probably due to the weather and culture, Aguero is the exception, we had bad experiences, Veron , Heinze, Tevez, Falcao, Di Maria. I can see this being another bad signing.

We.do better when we buy European players, so we be better with the cash and buying Fernandez, we also need a box to box to replace Herrera, someone like SMS and a CB. Looks like noone has the money for Lukuku. I think the other signings depend on Madrid paying for Pogba.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4829 posts Big Money Move
    High end South Americans have done very well in England in recent years. Suarez, aguero, Firmino are obviously huge stars that will play well anywhere, so forget them. But look at the lesser tier in just the last season that have done well. Felipe Anderson and richarlison both acclimated well. This is an old argument. When the truth is, good South Americans acclimate just fine in England. Argentinians specifically do not. If you look at the list of South American players that have failed in England it’s filled with Argentinians.
  • But doesn't lukaku want to play for conte??
  • Arron xox
    2867 posts National Call-Up
    High end South Americans have done very well in England in recent years. Suarez, aguero, Firmino are obviously huge stars that will play well anywhere, so forget them. But look at the lesser tier in just the last season that have done well. Felipe Anderson and richarlison both acclimated well. This is an old argument. When the truth is, good South Americans acclimate just fine in England. Argentinians specifically do not. If you look at the list of South American players that have failed in England it’s filled with Argentinians.

But also high end south American players that played for united haven't done so well veron di maria forlan kleberson could maybe say Anderson aswel
  • limjitwe
    But doesn't lukaku want to play for conte??

Well I’m sure he rather choose Juve if given the chance. It’s almost certain to win eerie a
  • lippyone
    1129 posts Professional

There are 3 teams that are clearly better than you with better more accomplished mangers. VAR isn't suddenly going to compensate for that. All in all it's progress, but pushing for second is a massive stretch.

Better on paper at the moment, but let's see how this window goes. We finished second two seasons ago, if we bring in another few good signings and anything is possible.

Things can change quickly in football. Liverpool regressed in the league two seasons ago, but a good transfer window saw them put up a title challenge, albeit with lots of dodgy decisions.

Ole knows what he is doing, has us playing a distinct way of football. Undefeated in pre-season, revving to go this season. Watch this space!

Let us be realistic. Man U are closer to Wolves than Liverpool
  • ASHERLAUYY
    739 posts Semi-Pro

Generally is the case though that they don't hit the ground running and take time to adapt more so than other players. You mention firmino but he struggled heavily in his first season. Even this season fred and Fabinho struggled for large parts of the season. And didn't richarlison go on some massive goalless steak towards the end of last season. felipe also definitely tailed off towards the end of the season.

You can even go back to paulinho, falcao, di maria etc

• limjitwe wrote: »

Well I’m sure he rather choose Juve if given the chance. It’s almost certain to win eerie a

Not with conte at the helm of inter
  • kraid
    1995 posts Fans' Favourite
    I don’t see dybala being a great signing. Ole’s new system is all about pressing the opposition high. I don’t see dybala being up to it and the signing will happen so late (if it happens) that he won’t have the time to get his fitness up. He plays as a 10 which we don’t even have in our formation, the idea of him on the right is nice when we have the ball but again a winger has to defend, has to follow the oppositions full backs. Maybe I have the wrong idea of him as a player but I just don’t see him doing that.

Juventus fans have complained about dybala not turning up in games for a long time. It’s no coincidence that the guy is getting less playing time. I fear we’ll be left with another Sanchez on our hands, albeit one with better sell on value.

Guess time will tell.
  • Claret_n_blue_blood
    13957 posts Has That Special Something
    Ishibum wrote: »

I'm no fan of Liverpool but Man U fans cannot moan about refereeing decisions given some of the nonsense we have all seen over the years :lol: .

When 3 mins injury time turns into whenever United scores, u mean?
  • limjitwe
    limjitwe wrote: »

Haha you actually believe what you read on the news. Frankly I think he will have a tough choice to make and it’s not necessarily a straight forward one.
  • Low Ki
    11718 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 31

Fergie time was just a way for lesser teams to deflect their psychological collapses in high pressure moments when Man Utd always relentlessly fought till the dying minutes. SAF won a lot of games in stoppage time through sheer will that he channeled into his players which caused opponents brains to snap at key times.

Funnily enough Liverpool have way more winning goals in stoppage time than us despite winning zero league titles in that period. United comes 5th in that list after Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton.:
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-fergie-time-manchester-uniteds-history-of-late-goals/iqs4qho529891hykg171hhtbc
  • Claret_n_blue_blood
    Low Ki wrote: »

Fergie time was just a way for lesser teams to deflect their psychological collapses in high pressure moments when Man Utd always relentlessly fought till the dying minutes. SAF won a lot of games in stoppage time through sheer will that he channeled into his players which caused opponents brains to snap at key times.

Funnily enough Liverpool have way more winning goals in stoppage time than us despite winning zero league titles in that period. United comes 5th in that list after Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton.:
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-fergie-time-manchester-uniteds-history-of-late-goals/iqs4qho529891hykg171hhtbc

We all know extra mins were always added well after injury time was up
  • Low Ki
    11718 posts Has That Special Something

Time wasting or further stoppages after the announcement of time to be added has long been a factor in that. Same when managers decides to make subs at that time in an attempt to drag it out.

The way you're making it sound, you'd think some freak on the internet in this fay and age by now would have come up with stats and tables about how Fergie time exists and carried United. Just a myth to make losers feel better about themselves.
  • Claret_n_blue_blood

Time wasting or further stoppages after the announcement of time to be added has long been a factor in that. Same when managers decides to make subs at that time in an attempt to drag it out.

The way you're making it sound, you'd think some freak on the internet in this fay and age by now would have come up with stats and tables about how Fergie time exists and carried United. Just a myth to make losers feel better about themselves.

👍
  • mindm4ster
    4907 posts Big Money Move
    is Juve stupid or something ?
  • CharlieC
    6097 posts Big Money Move
    I don't think this happens. Dybala wants to stay in Italy and I don't blame him.
  • Pablofsi08
    327 posts Sunday League Hero
    kraid wrote: »
    I don’t see dybala being a great signing. Ole’s new system is all about pressing the opposition high. I don’t see dybala being up to it and the signing will happen so late (if it happens) that he won’t have the time to get his fitness up. He plays as a 10 which we don’t even have in our formation, the idea of him on the right is nice when we have the ball but again a winger has to defend, has to follow the oppositions full backs. Maybe I have the wrong idea of him as a player but I just don’t see him doing that.

Juventus fans have complained about dybala not turning up in games for a long time. It’s no coincidence that the guy is getting less playing time. I fear we’ll be left with another Sanchez on our hands, albeit one with better sell on value.

Guess time will tell.

He does pressure a lot on Juve and Argentina, he just lacks more experience on pressure and stealing the ball. And he's a huge forward let's not forget that.
  • limjitwe wrote: »
    limjitwe wrote: »

Haha you actually believe what you read on the news. Frankly I think he will have a tough choice to make and it’s not necessarily a straight forward one.

I don't get that,,, what did i believe, who has a tough choice??
  • Damo_Suzuki
    2030 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think they need an actual striker as seen as the much over hyped Rashford has only scored 10, 7 and 5 goals in his last 3 league campaigns. With over 30 appearances in each. They will do well to get rid of the one dimensional lump that is Lukaku and get Dybala in return though.